Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,618 Times in 1,004 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
I would suggest any of the following: 243, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 270, 7mm-08, 280

All of those will give you better than 500yd range without beating you to death, they will give you more range time and the likelihood of developing flinch is a lot less

The 25-06 and the 270 have the best MPBR without stepping into magnum cartridges

The 6.5 Creedmore has better wind deflection characteristics but only by a small fraction, drop is negligible from the above 2 cartridges

I'd choose a bolt if you want superb accuracy, it's hard to beat a 700 rifle as everyone carries accessories for it, even the unique ones

I love the Winchester and Ruger 77 Mark II actions because of the 3 position safety

One thing I would do is have a competent gunsmith adjust the trigger to 3-3.5lbs., this will give you both a good range trigger and hunting trigger. When hunting, too light really sucks when its cold and your wearing gloves

You can increase your accuracy by learning how to reload

The scope is what you want to put some money into, some people say you should spend as much on the scope as you do on the rifle, I can't argue this

You will get what you pay for in a scope, you certainly won't get what you don't pay for....

I like Leupold but there are other good ones out there like Burris, Nikon, Vortex and Redfield as far as good budget scopes. There are others but the price can really go way up!

FWIW and YMMV
RELOAD FOR YOUR GUN.
Each gun likes its OWN LOAD FOR ACCURACY. I used to weigh each powder load for each bullet I loaded. I only used a powder measure to get close and then weighed from there. That was bullet to bullet. No short cuts!

You want accuracy? Put in the time and you may get the accuracy you want.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM

Funny, I made the decision to learn all that last week. Has been a fun week so far.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,247 Times in 8,782 Posts

I would go with a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .308 Winchester rifle. Both of these rifles are really great for hunting and shooting longer distances. I used the 7.62 NATO National Match, basically a military .308 Winchester type round, to drop a pig one day while on a patrol in Viet Nam. It worked like a dream. One shot and the pig flipped up and around and dropped right where it was. It then laid still. A large group of people ate good that night.

You also need to get some good glass (telescopic sights) and lots of practice under your belt. My rifle, in my sniper days, was a XM-21 semi-automatic 7.62 National Match and she was a sweet thing to behold. Don't be fooled that semis can't be as accurate as bolt action rifles because they can be. The XM-21 rifles were good all the way out to 900 meters with a well trained shooter. But for your basic needs a good bolt action Remington in either 6.5 Creedmoor or .308 Winchester will do you right if you use good, high quality ammo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my pig and me.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	288164  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,035 Times in 3,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by db661 View Post
Anyone have experience with a Remington 700 police 26inch in 308? Price is $500 with Houge stock
Would this be a good rifle to build for long range shooting?
If I do my part head shots at 500 are not a problem. That is the longest range I have had the opportunity to shoot it. Currently it wears a Nikon Monarch scope. Any longer range it will need a serious scope upgrade.

And if I were doing it over I would go with the 300 WM version.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 568 Posts

Suggest you go here....More info than you can digest.

https://forum.snipershide.com/
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,052 Posts

THERE are a few trains of thought on this topic

what is long range?

Long range to punch a hole in paper
or
long range to punch a hole in a living breathing critter .

I was never shooting long with the only intent of being able to break paper.
so
I use calibers capable of dropping big animals at long range.

I am fortunate enough to have a real 1000 YARD range about 6 miles from where I live. All my long shooting was either .308 or .340Wby. When caribou hunting I would take the .340. A little overkill for caribou, but a great caliber for reaching long and flat and being very terminal at long ranges and very resistant to wind issues. I would use the same 300gr Sierra Matchking I used for my 1000yd target shooting.

Do not say you need to shoot large bore for distance,
just say'n if you are envisioning more than paper you might think a little bigger calibers.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,685 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
THERE are a few trains of thought on this topic

what is long range?

Long range to punch a hole in paper
or
long range to punch a hole in a living breathing critter .

I was never shooting long with the only intent of being able to break paper.
so
I use calibers capable of dropping big animals at long range.

I am fortunate enough to have a real 1000 mile range about 6 miles from where I live. All my long shooting was either .308 or .340Wby. When caribou hunting I would take the .340. A little overkill for caribou, but a great caliber for reaching long and flat and being very terminal at long ranges and very resistant to wind issues. I would use the same 300gr Sierra Matchking I used for my 1000yd target shooting.

Do not say you need to shoot large bore for distance,
just say'n if you are envisioning more than paper you might think a little bigger calibers.
Thatís one hell of a range. Around my parts we call that 1/3 the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 PM

A perusal of the rifles behind the counter at my favorite LGS will turn up at least a few dozen rifles that would fill the OP’s requirements. They have numerous chassis rifles, a number of which are less than 1k. If you’re desirous of Uber high end, it can be had but it isn’t needed. Caliber is dealers choice, but the .308 and 6.5 Creedmore offer match ammo right off the shelf at very reasonable prices. The 6.5 shoots flatter but that really won’t give you an edge until you you get to the longer ranges. It’ll also use up a barrel in half the rounds that a .308 will. Glass is up to you but the 10x & 12x fixed powers worked for a whole lot of years. Those crazy folks at Camp Perry seem to make due with iron sights to 1000 yards so you don’t need an optic to rival the Hubel. What you do need is a proper target/long range scope, not a hunting style scope.

Myself, I got a Ruger RPR .308 to start with, used but NIB and stocked up on Federal Gold Medal Match at less than $1 per round. With a decent optic that’ll allow me to learn about precision shooting at distance without breaking the bank and is capable enough that any deficiencies in my shooting performance won’t be the rifle’s fault.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,345 Times in 9,639 Posts

Quote:
Iím looking to build a rifle for long range shooting.
1st question what caliber would you recommend?
2nd question bolt action vs semi auto?
3rd if bolt action what manufacture would you recommend? I was looking at the Remington 700.
Just an example to consider,

Eight yrs ago I bought a used Ruger 77 chambered in 25-06 at a flea market. I paid $300, which indicates something is likely wrong with it. But I wanted he M77 mk2 action so I take a chance.

I get the rifle home qnd pull the action from the wood stock. Stock was cracked and repaired at the rear screw. Brownells sells the synthetic Zytel stock for the 77 mk2 for reasonable price. So now I have a functional rifle for around $400.

I install a decent Leupold scope and try loading for my new rifle using two types of brass, two brands of bullets, two different powders. Every single combination is sub moa at 100 yds. Best load groups at 0.5".

Used rifle, used scope, every load I try shoots great.

My advise is start looking at pawn shops for used bolt action rifles. Do not buy a heavy magnum unless you have experience with rifles that kick.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Thatís one hell of a range. Around my parts we call that 1/3 the US.
WELL... you really need to be good at doping wind drift and also take into consideration the rotation of the earth... oh and low flying aircraft.

MY BAD....
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Prepared

Unless you are looking to make some sacrifices in your set-up, you are probably looking at two rifles
A dedicated long range rig and hunting rifle.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Prepared

If you don't have a hunting rifle at all, get that first.
Glass bed the action.
Get it in a popular caliber like a 6.5cm or 308.
Get a good optic with a BDC or mil-dot reticle, I wouldn't go more than 3-4x on the bottom end. A 2.5-10 or 3.5-10 or 3-12.

And just shoot it. Practice and practice more and learn about long range shooting. Then save up and buy a dedicated long range set-up.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,275 Posts

I'm no expert, probably couldn't walk a meter in Night Visionary shoes, but to me long range is anything beyond 300 meters.

If I can't use basic windage and elevation to hit my target then it's long range for me. I was not trained to used mortars nor did I go to sniper school although I have extensive info on the latter, it's still not the same as solid instruction and execution. I was trained to engage still and moving targets up to 300 meters with several weapons systems so that's my comfort zone, and I will always try to close the distance with my enemy if possible.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Stolen Valor

Quote:
I’m looking to build a rifle for long range shooting.
3rd if bolt action what manufacture would you recommend? I was looking at the Remington 700.
F-Class competitors and Professional Shooters begin with the 7.62 x 51 mm / .308 Win.

Once you are able to consistently score perfect scores with the 7.62 x 51 mm / .308 Win @ 912 Meters. Than it's time to replicate that with the .300 Win Mag / 7.62 x 67 mm @ 1200 Meters. Once that is accomplished, then it's time to move up to the .50 BMG.

Once your shouldering the .50 BMG perfectly, then the difference between the gas draw of a Semi-auto vs a non-vented bolt action may be relevant.

Like all Military trained professionals, start with a Remington Custom Shop X40 bolt action in .308 Win/ 7.62 x 51 mm. JMHO
Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Stolen Valor

Sounds like a lot of actual long range shooters have been browbeat into the cricket world?
Folks throwing walls of lead at point blank range ain't actually all that correct, no matter what is the accepted paradigm. If your first zero is 600 yards/Meters, and 300 yards/Meters is point blank range, feel free to speak up. JMHO.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 PM

You can get good rifles relatively inexpensively, but good glass costs money. I would count on spending $1200+ for a scope.

The Tract Toric UHD 30mm 4-20x50 FFP MRAD PRS is one of the best long range scopes on the market for the money. You're looking at around $1200 for this one, but I have a feeling that you would never regret it.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Born 120 years too late.

MANY MANY years ago I had a chance to buy a Weatherby in .340WM(Weatherby Magnum) at a great price. It came with 2 stocks, the fancy wood stock and a Weatherby glass stock.

I bought it, and before I fired a round through it I ran it to get a McArthur brake on it. I had shot one before and the recoil was vicious, so I did not want to relive that and his brakes are AWESOME for taming biters.

So

With the bite taken out (it was now a light .270 or a heavy .243) I started working loads, and I found out just how great a cartridge that round out of the WBY was. Imagine throwing 300gr SMKs through a single ragged hole at 100yds. At 1000yds it would average around 7" if I did my thing. My best with just a hair over 5". That was using the factory Weatherby bbl. In fact it eventually became boring shooting at less then 1000 with it. That heavy round was hardly effected by wind or weather of any kind and it was coming at 2800fps out the bbl so it has energy out the wazzoo. It was my Quebec caribou rifle where shots could be to the horizon if you were so inclined. I have shot it at one mile, but I was having to Kentucky windage because I ran out of scope but it still rang the steel. When you hear it at that range you can't help but smile.

Shooting 1000yds has some challenges to it. The bigger the bullets, the faster you throw them, the more you reduce the challenge.

Bolt platforms are easier to work with if you want to float or change the pressure points on the bbl , do pillar bedding, stuff like that. They also tend to be stiffer actions. Also easier to change barrels to different profile or weights.
AND
LOTS cheaper to have an accurate bolt gun than a gas gun.

Just depends on your definition of what long range is going to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I’m looking at 500 yards plus. I’m looking for a rifle
With a good aftermarket for parts.
I was looking at 308, 300 win mag but open to other calibers.
308. That may not be the last long range rifle you buy but it should be the first. It’s just cheaper to feed and practice. And it’s fine out past 500 meters.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,376 Times in 7,304 Posts

Quote:
1) 308
2) bolt
3) Ruger
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
308 would be a decent choice, plenty of quality ammo available with many bullet weight choices. There are many other cartridges, but the 308 can hold it's own.

Bolt action

Go with the Remington 700. There isn't a bolt gun anywhere with as many aftermarket offerings than the Remington, because of it's popularity and they are the preferred factory action for modifications.