Another "vacation" to the new deer camp. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,479 Times in 573 Posts
Default Another "vacation" to the new deer camp.

Advertise Here

Fair warning, due to fatigue I will be swerving all over the place.

After our first week long visit in January, we made a list of things that needed attention. The Malibu was loaded to the gills, deliveries were arranged, service appointments made and off we went.

We arrived on 5/23. The satelite internet was installed on 5/24 in the morning. My job was to bury 100 ft. of cable two inches deep. I barely managed to finish that on 5/29 as the sun was going down. The ground was hard, tons of tree roots, lumps of clay and a few rocks that made digging with a shovel along with the heat/humidity a nightmare.

A self propelled lawnmower was delivered as was a a new toilet. The plumbers arrived later at 6 PM and made repairs to the gas shut off valves for the stove and water heater for only $400. The gas line couldn't be reconnected as the gas company had removed the connection fitting due to the detected leaks. So no hot water until 5/28. Allow me to mention the tap water is from a well 260 ft. deep and colder than can be believed.

My wife mowed for 30 minutes in the aftrnoon heat on two occasions and announced that a zero turn rider with a 50" or bigger deck is now in the future. So now what to do with the un-needed brand new Troy Built that started on the first pull and has every time afterwards as well? Trim work around the bushes I guess.

On 5/24 was given a blank check to visit Lowe's for a leaf blower and weedwhacker. Grabbed some Barkeeps Friend and some premixed two cycle gas as well.

On the early part of the day on 5/25 we removed the old toilet that developed a leak due to freeze cracks in the reservoir tank and installed the new taller one. The short bolt cutters saved the day on that project and after an emergency trip to a plumbing supply store for a longer tank water supply hose the new porcelain throne was fully operational.

Went to Nashville, stayed at a Super 8 Motel room, picked up the SIL that evening and then used an Uber driver to hit Lower Broadway AKA Honky Tonk Row. I'd recommend doing it once, but just once.

Sunday, drove back to the deer camp and then got back to work. The insurance company didn't like the lack of a handrail on the steps on the west end of the covered deck. The steps were removed and the deck was then closed off. They needed to go. The front steps also had to go, The front steps will be taken care of in September.

As for the 2X12X32 steps we're going to flip a coin on compost bin walls or throwing knife back stop, will most likely be both. BTW, the deck has a canoe like bend. Level in the middle and higher at each end. The carpenter bees seem to love the roof framing but leave the recycled telephone posts alone. The wife is already thinking about a new wrap around deck.

Didn't have a chance to walk in the woods but found the property has tons of wild Muscadine grapevines around the edges. Now the side of the road with the 10+ acres is heavily shaded. Underneath the dead Hickory leaves is mostly bare ground or a short green moss and very thin grass. The grass is so sparse its not worth mowing. A dead limb patrol and a small brush pile fire will take care of that. A polesaw and a chainsaw are in the future plans.

The piece across from the camp with no shade is overgrown and needs a brush hog/walk behind weed eater. That 1.84 acre lot has a tax bill of $30 per year, the other 5 acre lots with the deer camp is another $200 per year.

Wildlife report. As we were raking found old deer tracks 10 feet from the camp. Saw a turkey two consequitive mornings in the same place. Jake or hen coouldn't tell due to distance, I suspect it was a lone jake. Heard a Tom turkey. Never heard the coyotes celebrating at night and didn't see any deer.

Other events: On 5/28 had a low altitude flyover by a pair of military jets, they were loud. As we had our first guest, the wife wants a door installed in the master bedroom.

The wife ordered a decent steel bed frame with a headboard (some assembly req'd) and a vacuum packed firm bedspring mattress combo that was very very comfortable.

The truck engine rebuild has a green light as well as we need the BOT and contents moved north.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post: