Anyone here have a Rising S bunker? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,140 Times in 1,791 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSNomad View Post
I bet they don't say what coating it is...
Probably Rustoleum.

I know a guy in the formed concrete foundation business. He did at least one underground shelter for a customer.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,366 Times in 3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Malibu View Post
I have no knowledge of Rising S, or any other bunker mfg. But keep this in mind as you search.
Reviews of any product will consist mostly of those that really love the product, or those that really hate the product. Those in-between rarely will submit reviews.
Of the reviews, mainly the negative ones, will be the results of the consumers lack of attention to detail or inappropriate usage, maintenance, installation etc. Or, the review does not take into account the product they are doing a review on, has nothing to do with the problem they have or had. I've seen too many reviews by the owner of a brand new Chevy, Ford, what have you, complain and go sideways of how bad the mfg of their car is, because the owner had a flat tire just weeks after it's purchase. Tire was not mfg by the automaker, and it's because the owner ran over a nail out on I-10.
Just saying......
Also with this type of product the average buyer isn't going to be providing a review proclaiming how great the "secret" bunker they just had installed is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,824 Times in 4,805 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I don't know or really care about Rising S Bunker. I never have even considered having a pro or some company build anything on my land from a shed, to a cabin and especially not the underground protective shelter many call a bunker on my remote WY mountain land.

I never could afford a pro or anyone to build for me. I barely was able to afford the almost 4 acres of land in 1987 which was $8,000 and today probably worth well over $50,000 not including any buildings I have built.

But I tell much with many pics in this thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=107463

There is or at least was a sponsor of this S-boards and I like about all that I have seen. IF I had plenty of money I would buy from them. > Posted on my everything about bunkers thread in May 2010 but he is still around: JC Refuge: If you're serious about prefab shelters or saferooms, have a look and get in touch with me ...

www.safecastle.com and his link and info packed blog > https://blog.safecastle.com

Main links to his safe room and other protective shelters >>> https://www.safecastle.com/pages/sheltershome
https://blog.safecastle.com/search/label/safe%20room

About rust proofing metal is I have used a couple gallons of Rustoleum and even at least a gallon of truck bed liner to rust proof steel beams, steel doors etc etc.

AND for anyone who thinks a bunker or somehow that even a storm shelter or safe room is stupid, foolish or a waste of money >>>

Here are a Few advantages to having a Bunker some even call it an Underground house >

"We believe that when designed and built
properly on suitable sites, Post/Shoring/
Polyethylene, or PSP, underground dwellings
are the finest that can be constructed.
They have 23 distinct advantages over conventional
structures. These are:

1. NO FOUNDATION. - except the earth.
2. LESS BUILDING MATERIAL. - using lumber or logs.
3. LESS LABOR.
4. MOST AESTHETICALLY PLEASING.
5. LESS TAX.
6. WARM IN WINTER.
7. COOL IN SUMMER.
8. BETTER VIEW. - especially if built on a hillside.
9. BUILT-IN GREENHOUSE.
10. ECOLOGICALLY SOUND.
11. INCREASED YARD SPACE.
12. FALLOUT SHELTER.
13. CUTS ATMOSPHERIC RADIATION.
14. DEFENSIBLE.
15. CONCEALMENT.
16. CLOSER TO SOURCE OF WATER.
17. RELATIVELY FIREPROOF.
18. PIPES NEVER FREEZE.
19. SUPERIOR FLOORING.
20. CAN BE BUILT BY ANYONE.
21. WEATHERPROOF. - extremely good tornado, blizzard and storm protection...
22. LESS MAINTENANCE.
23. SOUNDPROOF."

The previous quote is from Mike Oehler's "The $50 and Up Underground House Book" page 10

Link to some pics of Mike Oehler's > http://www.undergroundhousing.com/structures.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,087 Times in 19,175 Posts

Don't forget, Mike, that as cool as your DIY bunker is that it isn't really good for low elevation flatlanders or those with labor issues.

I'm not sure how elevated the OP is. If she does have a bit of altitude and labor resources then you idea is definitely worth her looking into.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 06:04 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Don't forget, Mike, that as cool as your DIY bunker is that it isn't really good for low elevation flatlanders or those with labor issues.

I'm not sure how elevated the OP is. If she does have a bit of altitude and labor resources then you idea is definitely worth her looking into.
Yeah, my DIY bunker which for years I just called an underground storage cabin / shelter is not for everyone. My Rocky Mountain hill side with extremely good drainage etc. also makes it great but unusual for most. And glad I built it when I was in my early forties even though it only took me ten summers. I also built a couple sheds, grew container gardens etc during those ten summers twenty or so years ago. I Must move up there permanently and clean up the sheds, bunker etc. plus build a log / lumber garage over my 2013 small but nice camper trailer.

And I know the OP grandma real well over the years. She is in Canada and all I should say I suppose. She or anyone who can afford it could hire a builder to build some kind of protective shelter.

I think these plans are some of the best for an underground and probably even an above ground storm / fallout / storage shelter even build it out of lumber. I used about 100 log poles and some lumber but these plans are great and tested in sixties nuke tests.

Diagram at the bottom of the link and there is also a pdf on the main page to download for clearer pics > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,927 Times in 13,135 Posts

functionally speaking, what separates a basement from a bunker? why not just have a poured basement built and cover the top as a standalone bunker? not an expert, just thinking out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,928 Times in 3,338 Posts

I apologize if I didn't explain myself in the original post... I am not presently (or in the foreseeable future) able to drop the hundreds of thousands of $$$ to have a bunker put in. I was more intereted in if anyone here had actually HAD Rising S put one in for them, and what they thought of it.

A lot of speculation about it, but I am looking for personal experience. I HAVE read many online reviews, and seen numerous videos by Rising S and their customers, but thought, with all the people here on the forum, there would be SOMEONE that has one.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:43 PM

I would stay far away from them...there is a great video from the guy that owns Atlas about them...he is a stand up guy (the guy from Atlas) the Rising S owner is NOT!! ... go check youtube for how he ratted out his own customer to the F B I ...guy went to Prison for 3 years I think...trying to find the video now...I wouldn't be surprised if it got taken down...do your research on the owner...he has been to court so many time for felony type stuff ...but a lot of it gets dismissed...word is, because he is a rat and informs on his customers....on top of that his products are terrible compared to Atlas

my goal in the future is to use Atlas for there 10 x 34 with an add on generator pod.
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 PM

this is also a good comparison page

https://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/compare/
Old 06-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
functionally speaking, what separates a basement from a bunker? why not just have a poured basement built and cover the top as a standalone bunker? not an expert, just thinking out loud.
I really like answering specific questions especially about bunker and other protective shelters.

First of all, a basement is better than nothing. People more than fifty years ago made a fallout shelter in a corner of their basements with the Cuban missile crisis and cold war. I read in a newspaper a few years ago about a man and his wife were down in their deep basement when a big tornado hit. They said they were safe with no injuries but scary since stuff began to swirl around down in their basement. I doubt that would happen in a sealed deep bunker / underground fallout / Storm shelter.

If people do have a basement then they should have at least a week or month or more of stored food, stored water etc. And make sure everyone in the house goes down into the basement in the case of a tornado etc.

BUT a basement is not a bunker or a fallout shelter. To have a good protective fallout shelter then there should be at least 3 feet of dirt on top. Or here is a quote found on the net which is similar from what I have read over the years. Some say have less thickness but better to be careful than sorry. :"Some beta particles can penetrate and burn the skin. : To reduce typical gamma rays by a factor of a billion, thicknesses of shield need to be about 13.8 feet of water, about 6 feet of concrete, or about 1.3 feet of lead.
Thick, dense shielding is necessary to protect against gamma rays."

And here is what I wrote in my "Everything about Bunkers" thread 10 years ago. Replace the word NBC shelter with basement and it shows the big difference between a bunker ( which is mostly used militarily ) and other underground shelters even basements >

A defensible bunker and an NBC shelter are different. A shelter must be a buttoned-up, closed-in place that will protect the inhabitants from a hostile environment.

A bunker is designed primarily to defend strategic locations from hostile intruders. Obviously one cannot defend his bunker if he has his head pulled down so far he doesn't know what is going on outside.

The best shelters can include both which is what I have done and will show later exactly how I built it for about $2,000. People can also use their shelter/bunker as a storage area and root cellar. It would probably be best just to call it a root cellar or storm shelter instead of a bunker for most people.

This video shows even much better the difference between a basement and actually any shelter and how protective a bunker is, especially the last 3 minutes beginning at 4 minutes into this unique video >>>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,896 Times in 1,571 Posts

Why not build a solid CBS/ rebar structure and then push top soil and sod over it like a munitions bunker? It would solve all the drainage problems. The entryway could still be designed to block radiation. Unless you are expecting a direct hit, it woukd be good enough and much cheaper.

There are some bunkers from the Cuban missile crisis in the Everglades that are this simple.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,532 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadarmy View Post
I would stay far away from them...there is a great video from the guy that owns Atlas about them...he is a stand up guy (the guy from Atlas) the Rising S owner is NOT!! ... go check youtube for how he ratted out his own customer to the F B I ...guy went to Prison for 3 years I think...trying to find the video now...I wouldn't be surprised if it got taken down...do your research on the owner...he has been to court so many time for felony type stuff ...but a lot of it gets dismissed...word is, because he is a rat and informs on his customers....on top of that his products are terrible compared to Atlas

my goal in the future is to use Atlas for there 10 x 34 with an add on generator pod.
I saw this as well and did my own digging, they guy a S is a bull**** artist and con-man. Stay clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:13 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,087 Times in 19,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Why not build a solid CBS/ rebar structure and then push top soil and sod over it like a munitions bunker? It would solve all the drainage problems. The entryway could still be designed to block radiation. Unless you are expecting a direct hit, it woukd be good enough and much cheaper.

There are some bunkers from the Cuban missile crisis in the Everglades that are this simple.
You and I don't see eye to eye on the political side, but it is real hard to argue about the fundamentals of a post-WW2 munitions bunker.

These days with the ability to make blown concrete domes, the concept only gets better.

A concrete dome at ground level with several feet of settled earth over the top is both bombproof and KISS at once.

That a healthy industrious person can make it themselves using rental gear makes it affordable too.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadarmy View Post
this is also a good comparison page

https://www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/compare/
After watching this video I don't see how anyone would buy a Rising S bunker.

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post
Assuming the bunkers are made of steel I'd be interested in knowing how they keep them from rusting through.

I hike a trail that goes through a corrugated steel tunnel about 16' in diameter, made from the same galvanized steel that bunkers are made from (assumption on my part, tunnel runs under a 4 lane highway) and 20 years after installation it has so many rotten holes it's now closed for repairs.
Here's a picture of the galvanized steel tunnel after 20 years. Makes me wonder how long a steel bunker would last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	287906  
Old 06-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,016 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Here's a picture of the galvanized steel tunnel after 20 years. Makes me wonder how long a steel bunker would last.
Yikes!

Curious if this is in a state where it snows & they use rock salt?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Yikes!

Curious if this is in a state where it snows & they use rock salt?
Yes but the road bed is probably 10 -15 feet above the tunnel roof.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Clinton's Hitman

The American Galvanizers Society (IIRC) says galvanization lasts about 25 years. At least for radio towers . I would imagine much less for structures that are buried and have no other means if corrosion control.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Yes but the road bed is probably 10 -15 feet above the tunnel roof.
Unless the tunnel runs through bedrock the fill above it is porous so that salt got down to the tunnel pretty quickly.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Unless the tunnel runs through bedrock the fill above it is porous so that salt got down to the tunnel pretty quickly.
Add the abrasion from the rock fill cutting through the galvanization to bare steel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post: