Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show your survival bow! Toxoph Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 40 02-25-2019 08:39 PM
Anyone here have an airbow? SG1 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 17 01-09-2018 09:49 PM
Watch: How to Silence a Recurve Bow AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-09-2017 01:00 PM
New post SHTF weapon? Airbow. irishmike357 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 61 03-05-2017 12:24 AM

Old 06-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,027 Times in 3,502 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudryder View Post
My recurve is an essential part of my preps. Primarily for it's stealth capabilities. Second, to save on ammo. But...regardless of what you may have in your arsenal, practice DOES make perfect. Pre-SHTF is the best time to practice, post-SHTF has a VERY short learning curve. I DO NOT waste my time with cross-bows. It's easy to build a recurve, or even a straight-stick bow. You can do so with just a few simple tools. These are easy to find, and cheap to purchase on ebay.

I don't use compound bows either, both compounds and crossbows require *parts.* Having a machine shop handy helps, too. A stick bow can be made with a good pocket knife.

I've built traditional (laminate) bows, and there is more to it than meets the eye. My current traditional bow is a PSE Coyote, when I bought it I didn't think I would like the aluminum riser. Come to find out I do like an Aluminum riser. The takedown feature is an added bonus.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,836 Times in 3,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Why use such a small caliber for game that size?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Its cheap to buy and less noise vs centerfire. ( Poachers could care less if the animal run s off after they shoot it. Thier main concern is not to get caught.)
I would also take those " drop where they stood" comments with a grain of salt. (22 rimfire and any archery)

Have been culling deer for a long time, as well as hog eradication. Also archery hunt .

For one thing, we never use archery for culling or eradication, as it is too inefficient compared to firearms.

Another thing worth mentioning...... When culling deer in urban environments, you are responsible where your bullet ends up even after it goes through a deer or hog. Its also a good idea to keep the noise down. 22 rimfire will stay inside the critter if you place the shot correctly. ( Not all that hard because critters in built up areas are very accustomed to being around people, and are not Scittish at all. Pretty easy to walk up to them real close.)
And yes.....ammo is cheap via 22 rimfire.

Rural area culling/ eradication is a bit different. Centerfire cartridges such as 243, 270, 308, and 3006 are much more efficient, and especially semiauto rifles. ( As they would be post shtf from a security aspect)

Since this mirrors the other thread very similar to this one...... While I hunt with archery on occasion, it is sport hunting . ( A much different strategy vs year around hunting with the goal of feeding one's family and/ or group. While I respect folks that hunt this way, any of them that actually use this method will honestly admit that a firearm is much more efficient for the task.....let alone security. IMO, stock more ammo, have a cache program that is geared towards this, and learn to build/ emplace traps instead of home made bows and arrows. ( About several dozen other reasons, but already stated them in the other thread.)

And......if folks are right about game becoming non existent post shtf......them other folks that had planned to live off the land via hunting will pose a threat to others that utilize livestock and crops . ( One side will do whatever it takes to feed thier families, while the other side with said livestock will be doing the same. IE. ....protecting what is thiers. ) Since I fall into the second category, firearms with plenty of ammunition have much more importance vs archery. ( Our primary use for archery post shtf = youngster training. Once they are mature enough to pull security over livestock / crops post shtf.....they would have rifles.

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Its cheap to buy and less noise vs centerfire. ( Poachers could care less if the animal run s off after they shoot it. Thier main concern is not to get caught.)
I would also take those " drop where they stood" comments with a grain of salt. (22 rimfire and any archery)

Have been culling deer for a long time, as well as hog eradication. Also archery hunt .

For one thing, we never use archery for culling or eradication, as it is too inefficient compared to firearms.

Another thing worth mentioning...... When culling deer in urban environments, you are responsible where your bullet ends up even after it goes through a deer or hog. Its also a good idea to keep the noise down. 22 rimfire will stay inside the critter if you place the shot correctly. ( Not all that hard because critters in built up areas are very accustomed to being around people, and are not Scittish at all. Pretty easy to walk up to them real close.)
And yes.....ammo is cheap via 22 rimfire.

Rural area culling/ eradication is a bit different. Centerfire cartridges such as 243, 270, 308, and 3006 are much more efficient, and especially semiauto rifles. ( As they would be post shtf from a security aspect)

Since this mirrors the other thread very similar to this one...... While I hunt with archery on occasion, it is sport hunting . ( A much different strategy vs year around hunting with the goal of feeding one's family and/ or group. While I respect folks that hunt this way, any of them that actually use this method will honestly admit that a firearm is much more efficient for the task.....let alone security. IMO, stock more ammo, have a cache program that is geared towards this, and learn to build/ emplace traps instead of home made bows and arrows. ( About several dozen other reasons, but already stated them in the other thread.)

And......if folks are right about game becoming non existent post shtf......them other folks that had planned to live off the land via hunting will pose a threat to others that utilize livestock and crops . ( One side will do whatever it takes to feed thier families, while the other side with said livestock will be doing the same. IE. ....protecting what is thiers. ) Since I fall into the second category, firearms with plenty of ammunition have much more importance vs archery. ( Our primary use for archery post shtf = youngster training. Once they are mature enough to pull security over livestock / crops post shtf.....they would have rifles.

11B
Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,258 Posts

Buy a cheap ATI SKS stock and a 40lb kids PSE bow and turn them into a home built crossbow. If you haven't built a few zip guns and zip bows for fun, you missed out.
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Survivor

It takes dedication and effort to become proficient with a traditional bow. I've been involved in archery for years and archery is not a skill I want to put to the test or rely on in a SHTF situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,608 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
It takes dedication and effort to become proficient with a traditional bow. I've been involved in archery for years and archery is not a skill I want to put to the test or rely on in a SHTF situation.
This is where a tiered system will work best. Firearms are the simple answer and far more reliable to actually put game down. That said, it likely would take a couple years post major SHTF (if there was a major human die-off) before game would recover. A bow is still viable, but an excellent tool to "practice" before that time when game returns. Silent, easy to maintain (keep a few extra strings and arrow parts). It's another tool in the tool box even if not really needed for the first few years; however, that gives you a lot of practice time to improve you skill.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Survivor

I like archery, it's fun and challenging in equal proportion, it's a healthy pastime activity and if you stick with it, it can be a rewarding as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 AM

Over a forty-year period I have had about every sort of bow sold. THE best was a horse bow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_bow), hands down. Light, maneuverable, and bloody easy to learn to shoot from a horizontal or slant position. Expensive as hell, but worth the price:
https://www.thelongbowshop.com/collections/horse-bows
http://www.archery-beier.com/products/bows/horsebows/