The New Trijicon VCOG 1-8x28 is a Must Have For A Properly Equipped Rifle - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Properly Mount a Scope on a Rifle or Shotgun AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-27-2018 11:00 AM
Is their any reason to have a bolt action rifle instead of an AR-10? Aerindel Firearms General Discussion 236 09-17-2018 03:59 PM
SHTF Reload Questions Potawami II Firearms General Discussion 49 05-16-2018 10:46 AM
Pellet Rifle Myths. nomadshooter Firearms General Discussion 14 12-25-2017 01:55 PM

Old 05-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 7,950 Times in 1,762 Posts

Advertise Here

LPV's all have inherent drawbacks that money can't fix. They suck at 1X compared to an aimpoint or eotech. Eye relief, eye box, distortion, parallax, battery life, weight. They suffer at magnification compared to optics with larger ocular lenses... Light gathering, clarity. LPVs are "jacks of all trades and masters of none". Not saying they don't have value for some folks, but they are far from the end all be all. I've owned 4, from high end to low end. I now own zero. I'm not limited to one rifle or optic, so for me it's not worth the drawbacks. To each their own.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,684 Posts

The best optic choice is the one that fits your needs at that time. Other than that they all give something up at either end of the spectrum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 01:58 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,494 Times in 5,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
LPV's all have inherent drawbacks that money can't fix. They suck at 1X compared to an aimpoint or eotech. Eye relief, eye box, distortion, parallax, battery life, weight. They suffer at magnification compared to optics with larger ocular lenses... Light gathering, clarity. LPVs are "jacks of all trades and masters of none". Not saying they don't have value for some folks, but they are far from the end all be all. I've owned 4, from high end to low end. I now own zero. I'm not limited to one rifle or optic, so for me it's not worth the drawbacks. To each their own.
All true. I have a 1-6 and while I do like it and won't get rid of it, I find that in actual USE I prefer my fixed 3x prism scope for regular carrying and shooting, OR a Vortex 4-12 if I'm shooting groups from a bench.

I think if I get another LPV it will actually be a 1-4, not a 1-8.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,026 Times in 4,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
There is absolutely no free lunch. I've been using lpvo's since the CQBSS came out, and have probaly had significant time on about a dozen different ones. Can you train to the point where the downsides are less of an issue? Of course. Will any of the current crop of 1-8 or 1-10's be anywhere close to as usable on 1x as a RDS? Not even close.

Try brokeback prone, or rollover prone at speed with one, under a car, and get back to me. Try using one with a promask...same issue. Basically, try running any of the current 1-8 or 1-10's in any situation where you cannot get a solid cheek weld, and try to do so quickly. The aforementioned Razor HD Gen 2 and Kahles 1-6 are barely capable in those situations.

I am a huge fan of lpvo's, and I have spent a ton of money on them, including 3 Razor HD Gen 2's, a CQBSS, a NF 1-8 ATACR, a NF NXS 1-4, and a Leupold Mk6 1-6. I'm not against lpvo's...I'm against the current crop of 1-8+ lpvo's for general-purpose rifles. It's interesting that you would choose a video of Yeti for your argument - he'd tell you exactly what I just did. The Kahles 1-6 I have time on is actually one of his.

Again - lpvo = good. Current 1-8 lpvo = meh. Regardless of how much you spend.

Parallax is a completely separate issue from eye box. And the guy who banned T1's is Eric Dorenbush, who is PNG'd from SFOD-D, because he is a complete and utter ****bag. His "study" on paralax issues with the T1 have been debunked by multiple sources...none of which have the character or truth issues Dorenbush has.
I agree BBP, etc. Would not favor the lpvo. I would also note, though, that my use rarely includes that, save for courses of fire involving it. Under a car, urban prone, etc. Lpvo isnt an issue. You're right though, there is no free lunch, I've just found that a good lpvo gives me more capability for my uses---which may not be your uses.

Ive owned a k16i, and considered a razor, but went nx8 instead and am quite pleased.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,610 Times in 5,682 Posts

For those of us who shoot CMP or NRA high power matches, this scope is not legal. I have a Vortex that will work just fine.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,192 Times in 2,173 Posts

I looked carefully at just about everything out there. Leuplod, US optics IOR Valdada, Trijicon, Sig and finally setteled on the Nightforce NX-8.
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 04:06 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
I looked carefully at just about everything out there. Leuplod, US optics IOR Valdada, Trijicon, Sig and finally setteled on the Nightforce NX-8.
Very wise choice and I say that as a former Leupold employee. Not bashing Leupold but Nightforce makes some damn nice optics. Everyone here should endeavour to procure fine equipment.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
For those of us who shoot CMP or NRA high power matches, this scope is not legal. I have a Vortex that will work just fine.
I agree. This scope isn't for plinkers and bubbas shooting paper. A Tasco will probably serve those guys well enough.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,494 Times in 5,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
I agree. This scope isn't for plinkers and bubbas shooting paper. A Tasco will probably serve those guys well enough.
So what is it that YOU do with that $2,800 scope?

Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Tier $2,800 shat
Old 06-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,610 Times in 5,682 Posts

Quote:
You really are the poster child for the definition of a DA.

Good thing I align with people who know a thing or two about optics and not some troll just coming off of a partial ban for being a troll.

Tasco......LOL.......I'll wager I can still outshoot using iron sights most people here with their whatever thingamabob scopes that you recommended.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
I'm quite happy with my Primary Arms 1-8. It has the ACSS reticle I like and a price I can afford.
Primary Arms rocks and I have 3 of their optics and the next optic I get will be one of theirs. My 1-6 is pretty damn awesome and does everything I will ever need it to do. And it's literally 1/10th the price of the optic in the OP.

Quote:
Oh yea, Good point. Forgot where I was posting.
You mean you forgot you were posting in a forum that has regular people in it who actually shoot their guns?

I think those elite Armchair Operators over at https://www.m4carbine.net/ would appreciate your post a lot more.

I have 2 PA optics.

They are not as good as acogs but they are good and much less money.

The choice also isn’t between one PA and one ACOG. It’s between 3 PAs with money left over and an ACOG.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:25 PM
μολὼν λαβέ

Quote:
Why the need to always insult?

If someone can afford it and wants to shoot 100 yard groups from a bench so be it. Their dime.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,129 Times in 2,693 Posts

1-8 x seems a bit over optimistic for a .223 ranged rifle.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,026 Times in 4,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
1-8 x seems a bit over optimistic for a .223 ranged rifle.
I dunno, I like the option, and it gives up nothing to get it, so...?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Pusher of brooms

Guess I'm not tacticool enough, the .223 runs irons most of the year and a fixed 6x Leupold during hunting season.
The .300 just has a Weaver K-3 on top, plenty of power for the range it will be used at.

I start operating instead of hunting and defending the house with the AR's, I'll look at the ACOG and $1000+ scopes. Does that fall into the "Bubba" category?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Well I don't have one but it's on the list. I just know that by making a general habit of avoiding cheap or shoddy equipment I will save myself from aggravation and possibly save my life.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Why the need to always insult?

If someone can afford it and wants to shoot 100 yard groups from a bench so be it. Their dime.
No insults intended. I just ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,162 Times in 1,604 Posts

Zero to around 200 yards, red dots are faster and easier to use. Outside of a competition environment, civilian engagements are usually close, like under 50 feet (not yards), almost always. Military is usually (99%) 250 yards or less.

For home defense, a red dot sight that can always be "On" is going to be your best choice. If you want high end, get an AimPoint Comp M5 with a 5 year battery life with Pic mount, only $816.00.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimpoin...-COMPM5-200350

I have a Holosun HS503G Red Dot Sight with the ACSS reticle and Pic mount. Battery life measured in years as well. $219.

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...t-acss-reticle

If you really need magnification, get a 4x fixed, best is Trijicon ACOG with ACSS reticle for around $1,000.

https://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...n-acss-reticle

The other one I like is the Trijicon ACOG 1.5x16S High Compact Scope which weighs around 5 ounces with the mount and is pretty quick up close. No batteries needed, like the 4x it uses tritium and a fiber optic pipe for illumination.

https://www.primaryarms.com/TA44-C-400307

If the world ends and all your Ninja/Assassin fantasies come true, you will find in real life you are shooting at either clouds of dust, from the enemies fire or places where you think the enemy might be. You will likley never be shooting at a classic human form, that you can see.

Since you won't be court martial-ed for "War Crimes". PID, a legal term for Positive Identification, is not 100% necessary, so magnification probably isn't that important on your weapon. If fact I would argue that it is a needless complication and adds weight for no real world benefit. Besides, Murphy says when you raise your weapon, the dial will always be on the wrong power setting.

For gaming and playing at the one-way square range, go ahead and get what you need/want. For serious stuff, Red Dot or a fixed 4x or under is going to serve you better.

A compact pair of binoculars with good glass, that are lightweight, will probably serve you better, if need to see far for tactical/planning/administrative reasons.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner...inoculars.html
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,471 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Well I don't have one but it's on the list. .
But it is a must have?
You said so yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post: