First Japanese Beetle Spotted - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norinco Type 81 Keymod Rifle Spotted AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-15-2018 10:00 AM
Watch: Japanese ?Knee Mortar? Grenade Projector AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-20-2018 03:30 PM
Basic Japanese for Hams during a QSO radiofish Communications 0 08-29-2017 04:57 PM
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Bolt Action Sporterized Rifle w/Leather Sling (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-17-2017 02:14 PM
Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Bolt Action Sporterized Rifle w/Monte Carlo Stock (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-17-2017 01:21 PM

Old 05-25-2019, 09:08 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,773 Posts
Default First Japanese Beetle Spotted

Advertise Here

It's that time of year again. On my evening walk around the garden I spied one Japanese beetle on a Blue Lake bean leaf. It got away. Then I found a second one on a Knockout rose leaf. It didn't get away.

I've read that it's important to get as many of the first beetles as possible as they are scouts who will report back to the masses where the good stuff is. I don't know if that's true but I'm now on a daily morning hunt.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Prepared

Give me your address and I'll send some traps your way. (keep them down your way)
Ha... tried traps yrs ago and it just attracted more to my property.
Standard joke between my neighbor and I is we should get the other a trap to help them with there problem.
We will have them in another month. I flick them in a coffee can full of soapy water.
They devour a lot here so I do a lot of flicking.
Milky spore is supposed to be great but haven't tried it (expensive).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoka-hey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 AM
gardener & news junkie

You are so kind to offer traps.... NOT! ROFL! You're right about them bringing even more beetles in.

Just finished this morning's inspection. Good news; no beetles this morning. Yeah, I use the soapy water too. It's in a nice red Solo cup so I can keep track of the darned thing. "Now where did I set that cup down?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:

Old 05-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,915 Times in 874 Posts

I take a mapp gas torch and fry the little buggers. You don’t have to touch them so they don’t know you are coming. Since the heat is concentrated ones 6” away don’t even move. They pop quickly and the wings get toasted if they try to fly. I’ve slowly decimated the population at the garden.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I take a mapp gas torch and fry the little buggers. You donít have to touch them so they donít know you are coming. Since the heat is concentrated ones 6Ē away donít even move. They pop quickly and the wings get toasted if they try to fly. Iíve slowly decimated the population at the garden.
I don't know if my fruit trees would like that but I like how you think..
Yrs back when I was getting a lawn established Giant Cicada killer wasps were turning my lawn into Swiss cheese.
I had a scorched earth policy with my weed burner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoka-hey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,832 Times in 3,385 Posts

The first year I gardened when I still lived with my parents, I grew tons of marigolds. I started probably over 100 of them from seed. They were some kind of African marigold that would get 3-4 feet high. This was a small 1/4 acre town lot.

Then the Japanese beetles came in. I spent hours out there picking them off. Every day I'd go out after work and fill up a soda bottle with them.

I squashed many of them.

I later learned that I ended up associating the smell of marigolds with squashed beetles. I love marigolds but to this day I hate the smell of them.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM
gardener & news junkie

Well, so far I've not seen any more but I'm keeping that cup of soapy water ready.

But today I did find the first cluster of squash bug eggs under a spaghetti squash leaf so tomorrow morning while it's cool I need to do a close inspection of lots of stuff.