Wall Mart fruit trees clearanced early - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hesco / Gabion style perimeter wall build -- How to make it cheaper ideas MikeSuvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 02-10-2019 04:12 PM
Cutting and Splitting Firewood Early 2018 kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 39 04-01-2018 01:30 PM
Dwarf Fruit Cocktail Trees TXsouthrngrl Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 10-22-2017 03:22 PM
High Country Fruit Trees david80123 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 05-20-2017 04:36 PM
Wall Design with SketchUp Medeek DIY - Do It Yourself 5 03-13-2017 06:14 AM

Old 05-24-2019, 12:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 56,353 Times in 18,395 Posts
Default Wall Mart fruit trees clearanced early

Advertise Here

I usually pick up a couple.

This year that happened early+ wet year + cheap.

Buddy and I cleared out 2 Wal-Mart's, nearly 80 trees and some raspberries and Quinces.
Pecans and chestnuts were $9-12, everything else was $6 or less.
Here's a partial list:

Winesap apple
Deer pear
Mutsu Apple
Dunston chestnut
Wolf river Apple
Liberty Apple
sweet august sensation plum
Sugar princess peach
Desirable pecan
Late yellow plum
Early plum (purple) prunis domestica
White lady peach
Elberta peach
Diamond princess peach
Santa Rosa plum
Gala apple

Neighbors are coming over tomorrow and Saturday with saws, tractors, anger etc.

Compost pile is going to be nothing in short order (~40 are mine)

Worth checking
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 AM
Prepared

Nomad, how do you go about protecting your young trees? Do you fence them somehow or just accept a certain amount of loss. I know you must have quite a few planted by now since you've been at this a while. For my orchard I have to fence off each tree individually with 6-7 foot tall horse fence with 4 t posts. Then a trunk protector to keep the mice and rabbits from girdling them. Without a fence the deer in my area would kill my trees in the first few weeks and if not then, they would destroy them the first winter for sure. I have not lost a tree to a bear yet but I would imagine at some point that could happen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 AM
Survivor

Woven wire with 2-3 "T-posts" per tree. (Tried a few other things.... Works)

I have a few dozen trunk protectors, but haven't put them on or needed to. I do mulch well but away from the trunk

I have bad Ozark Mtnside soil so only my Figs are producing so far, (well, figs, berries, and canes) growth is slow.
-fortunately there's underutilized fruit trees in the area, but I want it so I can walk to them.

But when I get production.!!! I may have to buy some hogs!

I've lost bees to bears, but without fruit that's not been an issue as yet.

Deer cough outside my bedroom window. (Big brown mice!) They even ate up my Jerusalem artichokes! (Going to have to fence off that bed)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:

Old 05-24-2019, 05:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,694 Posts

I have used 4 pallets just wired together to be self standing, 5 would make the enclosure more roomy. There was a lot of old sheets of plywood and OSB laying around when I bought this place. I tied them together in a triangle for several of my trees. Wind protection in the winter is also a factor in this part of the world.

I don't have much luck with end of the season sale trees here. Probably because the Walmart people don't know which trees are adapted to our climate. Still I can't resist their prices and try a few every year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,439 Posts

Do you currently sell fruit, and you're adding to your orchard? Or is selling the plan for the future? That's a lot of produce
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,200 Posts

For some trees like the dunstan chestnut you will likely from walmart get a dunstan chestnut and I am impressed with that tree for deep south so far.
But only others at times the label is only generally accurate. It will be pear if that is part of the label, but more often regardless it is kieffer and not something else that label actually says.
A question was asked about critters and if they are about and you have a diverse fruit orchard, it will them partaking of the fruit that is the major problem. My land is fenced with dogs that help. But dogs do eat the lower pears when green, but do not climb yet lol. Deer stay away but fruit eats like raccoons, coyotes(yes coyotes too) and possums do not and the dogs deal with them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Do you currently sell fruit, and you're adding to your orchard? Or is selling the plan for the future? That's a lot of produce
No commercial operation, although it is an addition to my (immature) orchard. I give away my excess produce every year, last year was a bad year for fruit, but the year before my buddy I split these with and I gave away something like 10 bushels of pears we picked. (+ other fruit)

We each own a decent chunk of land, and put them Along roads/fire roads for ease of access. (Although I'll have a several acre shelf cleared next and plan on putting in a food forrest.)

I was talking to him last night about what to do when each of these start producing, we have discussed everything from a free U pick (I'm too far away, few would drive to my place and I don't want strangers) but it would work for his farm, to "sharecropping" with local fruit stands or groceries.

He wants to make wine... I Don't think he really gets HOW MUCH FOOD this is going to be. (I have more trees than him in already, he probably only has 75-80 total once these are in.)
and I for one am working on stretching it out so that much of the year you can walk outside and eat SOMETHING. (I concentrated on some early\late varieties, and got the pecans because just like some of the ones a few years old they do a decent oil yeald.

I don't know if they will actually give.me any financial return while my VA check keeps being deposited, but I want hundreds and hundreds of pounds of food grown here (was done years ago, still have a few "gone wild" trees) and if nothing else I'll fatten hogs on the windfalls.

Get the food, then figure out what to do with it.
I plan over the years on having several hundred more trees.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Survivor

UPicks for your own protection require some sort of insurance. I was thinking of doing something like that for muscadines. I will not be consuming too much wine since it appears if I drink a lot of it that it raises my blood pressure up.
I am slowing my tree planting for the moment. I was thinking of doing a forest of asian persimmons, but there is now some sort of disease in my a few of my asian persimmons. On occasion it has killed grafts, but normally just some of the branches. We are getting infestation of new insects down here in NWFL like ambrosia beetles and such. I am not spraying my plums and so the yield is low and surviving plums have little beetle larva in them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,426 Times in 5,585 Posts

I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Neighbors are coming over tomorrow and Saturday with saws, tractors, anger etc.
Hoping that's a typo, LOL. Your typos crack me up!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,439 Posts

Stopped by a Walmart yesterday. Apple trees were $14 - $34. Only three varieties Liberty, Mutsu, and Wolf River mostly. I need to replace one of the two apples trees I put in a couple years ago. Its just an 8' dead stick in the ground now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
I'll have to check it out.

Hoping that's a typo, LOL. Your typos crack me up!

Partially it's because I don't care and type fast, partially it's because of my atrocious spel ling (hooked on Fonix didn't work for me)

But most of the funny ones are (like that one) autocorrect.

Auger

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=918590
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I have been looking for a Dunstan chestnut for about 6 years, would have had to order from the Canadian east coast and shipping was going to be over $100 alone so I never ordered . bringing plants across the line is not an option without the government certified paperwork .
The dunstan is resistant to chestnut blight and so seeds coming from the lower 48 USA could have some spores i would guess is the reason for the ban. I wish I could send you some seeds, but I would not dare to do so across international borders.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
That is very kind of you to consider barnetmill . I will likely buy some Dunstan saplings from Rhora Nut nursery next year and just bite the costs . I just could not afford it in this years budget .
Is there any legal source of seeds for you. Shipping should be less. Is there a native american chestnut society in Canada that could send you seeds? I checked and there is one for ontario where it does occur https://www.ontario.ca/page/american-chestnut

Maybe these people could help you out with a source of american chestnut seeds. There do not appear to any american chestnuts in western canada.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

It's a bit of a hassle, but the only thing I have found to protect the garden (and at harvest times around trees etc.) is electrified netting... the PLUS with posts half as far apart works much better for me. Only hassle is moving to mow.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/f...8aArLVEALw_wcB

What variety of fig are you growing ? I'm in the Ozarks too.... outdoor or bring in for the winter ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSWMissouri View Post
It's a bit of a hassle, but the only thing I have found to protect the garden (and at harvest times around trees etc.) is electrified netting... the PLUS with posts half as far apart works much better for me. Only hassle is moving to mow.

What variety of fig are you growing ? I'm in the Ozarks too.... outdoor or bring in for the winter ?
There is a hardy chicago fig that is supposed to survive chicago winters.

The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSWMissouri View Post

Outdoor.

I'll have to look. First couple years they died back to root stock.

I have an LSU purple I'm going to keep potted for the first couple years. (Was given it at easter)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 PM
Survivor

My major problem with figs was not allowing enough sunlight in. But I live in NWFL which is a good place raise figs. Sometimes after a very cold winter some young figs will die. I think it might be a good ideal to protect the bases of figs with a bit of compost when you get nights that reach say 15 F. About every 30 yrs or so we might get a night to 8 F.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

I did the paperwork a few years ago FROM Canada to US, took a while but was either free or really low cost... THEN I could have shipped direct to me from Canada...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM
VIP Member

just a quick thank for the headsup about wall mart. brought home a dozen -- half apples and half peachs. spent just over $180. my problem now is i gotta figure out the deer problem. deer fencing doesnt seem to do a thing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlouis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlouis View Post
just a quick thank for the headsup about wall mart. brought home a dozen -- half apples and half peachs. spent just over $180. my problem now is i gotta figure out the deer problem. deer fencing doesnt seem to do a thing
Circle of 4' woven wire held down by 2-3 T posts has been working for years for the trees I already have
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: