Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
no holidays for white men deprogramming services General Discussion 64 10-26-2018 06:26 AM
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 230 04-26-2018 06:37 PM
Yanez Acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile TheSquid General Discussion 572 07-01-2017 09:43 AM
Beretta PX4 9mm Full Size Pistol (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 11-15-2016 08:17 AM

Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Curmudgeon in training

Advertise Here

I have over the years owned a huge number of pistols. Older Smith and Wesson revolvers were my favorite wheel guns and as I pare down my collection I am sticking with only 5 old S&Ws. My 638,2" is my #1 pocket medicine. My M15,2", M65,3", M19,4" and 629 .44 Mountain Gun have made the cut. I might grab another 2.5" M19 or M66 if I find one but if not then the other 5 Smiths will keep me happy in retirement.

I too HIGHLY recommend the 3" barrel as a special addition to any collection. Mine is the revolver I go to for the occasional days I want a bigger wheel gun on my belt. Find a M65 or M13 and understand they command a premium in price but it is worth it.

I do have two old Smith revolvers to add but am unlikely to find. The M27 3.5" is on my list as well as my Grail gun the 3" M19 or M66 Without the lock or comp.

If I were to look for a defensive revolver in California then the Performance Center 627 8x Snub-nose would get serious consideration even with the Damned lock.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FotoTomas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,563 Times in 13,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
My dad left me couple of dollars. I paid off the credit card, bought $400.00 of freeze dried food and gave my son enough to sign up for his BAR exam. I'm thinking of a new revolver. I don't like autos except in 22lr. I live in California so have limitations. I need nothing. So I'm thinking of a 22 mag, 45 lc or another 357. I'm thinking of a 4-5" barrel. If smith a K or L frame. Ruger blackhawk is tempting. I'm not opposed to single action but they are not my favorite. I want to keep the price below $1,000.00.
OP, i don't have anything useful to add, just wanted to say that you made some good choices with how you spent the money and i think your dad would be happy
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,792 Posts

I'm waiting for the Father's day sales to kick in. Looking hard at a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 lc but also looking at a 22-250. I don't want to add anything I don't already load for. I'm just waiting for something to reach out and grab me. In the mean time, I'm putting in my garden and contemplating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:

Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 43,823 Times in 25,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

If you don't need anything, how about investing in training?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,710 Times in 550 Posts

Before you purchase, you should check out the Ruger GP100 .357 6" barrel in stainless steel. One hell of a gun and a good value. Can be purchased for around $550 +-. Then purchase several hundred dollars worth of ammo with the savings.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,273 Times in 18,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobytes View Post
Before you purchase, you should check out the Ruger GP100 .357 6" barrel in stainless steel. One hell of a gun and a good value. Can be purchased for around $550 +-. Then purchase several hundred dollars worth of ammo with the savings.
I have a 4"
I've owned a 6"

buddy has a 5" that's Had some custom work done.
...if I find a 5" at a decent price I'm buying it!
Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
If you don't need anything, how about investing in training?
I trained with a local hiway patrol group in the 70's. At that time I tuned a smith 28 with a new trigger and hammer. the pistol is an old friend who comes out the safe when I feel like I can't hit stuff. It always hit point of aim and does anything I ask. It is an old friend who just is there when I need it. I have since acquired another 10-20 pistols. Some are great, some are just good but none are like the smith I trained with. No brag just fact, for the first 50 yards, what I aim at is mine. After that they have chance.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,740 Times in 771 Posts

Ruger is where I would lean. They make fine revolvers an have done it for a long time.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/overview.html
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtrapper View Post
Ruger is where I would lean. They make fine revolvers an have done it for a long time.

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/overview.html
I had a ruger super blackhawk in 44 mag in the 70's. I hated it with a passion. I did pick up a super Redhawk in 454. I like the gun. I am looking a blackhawk in 45lc with a 4" barrel. On my next trip to town, I'll check the used pistol market. the blackhawk would really tickle my dad if he were alive. He really liked my bearcat. I loaned him a model 10 to shoot snakes when he lost one eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Survivor

I dropped by Sportsman's warehouse today ordered a Ruger predator in 22-250 and bought a ruger DA revolver in 357. the ammo shelves are getting empty and people were buying quantity. The guy behind me had 4 boxes of 40 s&w and 2 of 380. I even bought 2 boxes of 22 mag. Our state assemblyman sent an Email out about California adding another law the first of July. This law was done by signature. Something about the new California drivers license which establishes U.S. citizenship being the only valid ID for a firearm purchase? He also stated that California dept of moter vehicles is 3-4 months behind in issuing these licenses. Only in California can illegals vote and get free medical therapy but citizens can not purchase a rifle without going through hell
Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Hunter

Quote:
My dad left me couple of dollars. I paid off the credit card, bought $400.00 of freeze dried food and gave my son enough to sign up for his BAR exam. I'm thinking of a new revolver. I don't like autos except in 22lr. I live in California so have limitations. I need nothing. So I'm thinking of a 22 mag, 45 lc or another 357. I'm thinking of a 4-5" barrel. If smith a K or L frame. Ruger blackhawk is tempting. I'm not opposed to single action but they are not my favorite. I want to keep the price below $1,000.00.
OR be smart and rent a UHaul to move the heck out of kommiefornia.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,235 Times in 4,995 Posts

Quote:
I dropped by Sportsman's warehouse today ordered a Ruger predator in 22-250 and bought a ruger DA revolver in 357. the ammo shelves are getting empty and people were buying quantity. The guy behind me had 4 boxes of 40 s&w and 2 of 380. I even bought 2 boxes of 22 mag. Our state assemblyman sent an Email out about California adding another law the first of July. This law was done by signature. Something about the new California drivers license which establishes U.S. citizenship being the only valid ID for a firearm purchase? He also stated that California dept of moter vehicles is 3-4 months behind in issuing these licenses. Only in California can illegals vote and get free medical therapy but citizens can not purchase a rifle without going through hell
Drive to NV or AZ or OR whichever is closer, and spend everything you have on ammo. Not saying neckbeard, but neckbeard...
"Got a hundred rounds of pre-ban 9mm here. Just $100!"

Fund your relocation on their desperation. Win/win.