Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Glock Thread MisterFister Pistol and Revolver Forum 914 03-20-2019 09:39 PM
The Rise And Decline Of Glock kev Pistol and Revolver Forum 219 07-27-2018 01:20 PM
Why I do not like glocks kev Pistol and Revolver Forum 731 11-25-2017 06:50 PM
Glock 17 9mm 50rd Drum Polymer Black (KOREAN) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-05-2016 09:56 AM

Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,229 Times in 1,624 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
if i was going to buy a glock and didnt care about concealability it'd be a 17 then for the longer slide, sight radius, and barrel.. the G19 size frame just gives you compatibility with both G19 and G17 frames making it a bit more flexible, there is almost no reason to go with the larger grip making concealment more difficult, and then short yourself on the barrel/slide length
But I already own and operate a Glock model 24 and a Glock model 35 and a Glock model 22 and the slides and frames are all interchangeable. Infact the G-24 mostly wears the G-22 RTF frame. Also have .357 Sig and 9 mm barrels for the G-24. Some ported and some threaded muzzle. (If sight radius was a concern)
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Awesome

Thanked 21,851 Times in 7,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
But I already own and operate a Glock model 24 and a Glock model 35 and a Glock model 22 and the slides and frames are all interchangeable. Infact the G-24 mostly wears the G-22 RTF frame. Also have .357 Sig and 9 mm barrels for the G-24. Some ported and some threaded muzzle. (If sight radius was a concern)
if you are getting a G17 length grip, why would someone pick a glock 19 length slide over a full length G17 slide.. that was the question i asked
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
if you are getting a G17 length grip, why would someone pick a glock 19 length slide over a full length G17 slide.. that was the question i asked
You are assuming that is the only factor...........likely because that is the paramount factor for your application. There are many other considerations, beyond slide length and frame concealment.

Do you put "Reflective Hi-Viz" tape on your handguns.........???
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:

Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
What?

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,166 Posts

Quote:
Because people like what they like.

What youre looking at here is basically the exact same thing you see with the 1911 GM's and Commanders.

And a 3/4" difference in slide/barrel is all there is, and yet, I still prefer the Commanders over the GM's.

Kind of silly when you think about it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM
What?

Quote:
You are assuming that is the only factor...........likely because that is the paramount factor for your application. There are many other considerations, beyond slide length and frame concealment.
Slide and grip/frame dimensions are about it, arent they? What else is there?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Slide and grip/frame dimensions are about it, arent they? What else is there?
Color is very important in some applications. Which is why we put white duck tape or reflective tape on handguns.

The G19X also includes the Glock Marksman Barrel (GMB) with enhanced polygonal rifling and improved barrel crown for increased accuracy, I also think the 19X barrel is heavier walled, likely some Military specification thingie.

Lanyard loop is useful in some applications. Especially those applications where you can be violently separated from your firearm, especially if what is causing the separation, is also attempting to kill you. (Maybe eat you......best if your going to be eaten....that it happens after you are dead. Getting eaten while alive can be painful, and inconvenient).

There is the issue of net price for all features offered. At $550.00 each including factory Glock Night Sights, and Lanyard Loop, and (3) Three Magazines, and a much preferred color over Black, Tan/Brown being easier to locate in an unlighted environment, a tent being only one example. There is also the consideration that the Glock 19X will likely appreciate in value, or maintain at the very least more resale interest, given its uniqueness within the Glock product line. They are currently both hard to find and fetching a high initial price.

We also decided that if the team was going to migrate from .40 S&W to 9mm that we would go with a standard that was easily identifiable. Yes, a very small factor pre-SHTF, but may be useful post-SHTF when initially attempting to identify friend or foe through a spotting scope or binoculars.

If attempting to blend in with the environment (hide), brown is preferable to black. Especially an arctic winter environment, where there is snow and brown dead grass and naked leafless brown bushes. Solid black objects standout. It is not a huge issue, unless someone is shooting at you.

If you want to dress "Gray Man" in rural Alaska, the standard is Carhartt Brown pants, Carhartt Brown Coat, Carhartt Brown "Hoodie", Carhartt Brown T-shirt. (Carhartt Brown Glock 19X) In Alaska, especially rural Alaska, this attire is fully acceptable for Sunday Church Service, Funerals, Weddings, Social "potlatch" gatherings. Works will for logging, construction, commercial fishing, and piloting "Super Cubs" in the majestic wilderness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM
What?

Quote:
Color is very important in some applications. Which is why we put white duck tape or reflective tape on handguns.

The G19X also includes the Glock Marksman Barrel (GMB) with enhanced polygonal rifling and improved barrel crown for increased accuracy, I also think the 19X barrel is heavier walled, likely some Military specification thingie.

Lanyard loop is useful in some applications. Especially those applications where you can be violently separated from your firearm, especially if what is causing the separation, is also attempting to kill you. (Maybe eat you......best if your going to be eaten....that it happens after you are dead. Getting eaten while alive can be painful, and inconvenient).

There is the issue of net price for all features offered. At $550.00 each including factory Glock Night Sights, and Lanyard Loop, and (3) Three Magazines, and a much preferred color over Black, Tan/Brown being easier to locate in an unlighted environment, a tent being only one example. There is also the consideration that the Glock 19X will likely appreciate in value, or maintain at the very least more resale interest, given its uniqueness within the Glock product line. They are currently both hard to find and fetching a high initial price.

We also decided that if the team was going to migrate from .40 S&W to 9mm that we would go with a standard that was easily identifiable. Yes, a very small factor pre-SHTF, but may be useful post-SHTF when initially attempting to identify friend or foe through a spotting scope or binoculars.

If attempting to blend in with the environment (hide), brown is preferable to black. Especially an arctic winter environment, where there is snow and brown dead grass and naked leafless brown bushes. Solid black objects standout. It is not a huge issue, unless someone is shooting at you.

If you want to dress "Gray Man" in rural Alaska, the standard is Carhartt Brown pants, Carhartt Brown Coat, Carhartt Brown "Hoodie", Carhartt Brown T-shirt. (Carhartt Brown Glock 19X) In Alaska, especially rural Alaska, this attire is fully acceptable for Sunday Church Service, Funerals, Weddings, Social "potlatch" gatherings. Works will for logging, construction, commercial fishing, and piloting "Super Cubs" in the majestic wilderness.
Thats the first Ive ever heard color on something usually hidden was that important.

Ive slept in a lot of tents with black, blue, and silver handguns, and never had any problem finding them in the black of night. Then again, I keep my gun in its holster, in my pants, whether Im wearing them or not. In the tent, they are usually right by my head when Im in my bag when its warm, or in the bottom of my bag if its cold.

The only Glocks I have that dont have a lanyard attachment point, are my 26's. All the rest have a hole for that purpose in the back of the grip at the base. I use a lanyard every time we go canoeing, kayaking, rafting, etc, and sometimes just in the woods. Never found it a problem attaching one to those Glocks, and I suppose I could just drill a hole in the 26's if I felt the need. So far I havent.

My handguns usually are covered when Im carrying them, so the color clashing with something has never been an issue, but Im no fashionista.

And my artic cammies have black on them, so, if I were wearing it on the outside, whats another black, brown, or green splotch?

We have a similar dress code here too. Although lime green and orange is pretty prevalent too, especially during the work week.

Now you got me paranoid! Should I be wearing my dark earth 17 with these brown Charhart pants? Or should I be wearing the OG green 17? Damn it! The insecurity of it all! And no one other than the wife, kids and dogos are likely going to see it anyway!

And my biggest worry with the Glocks is, the dogs getting a hold of them. That would be about a 5 minute end to things. As tough as they are, they aint Rottie tough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Awesome

Thanked 21,851 Times in 7,285 Posts

lmfao, i actually forgot a glock can actually be destroyed by a dog looking for something to chew on.. glad my dog was never the type to chew on things
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,335 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
is that it?.. and who would put a 19 slide on a 17 frame? a 17 slide on a 19 frame would be way better
Not with my hands. My little finger was just barely on the pistol. When I got my hand on a 19 I was instantly impressed. I traded my 19, my working pistol for the last year, for a new model 45 on the spot!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Concealed carry. All things being equal short pistols are easier to conceal.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:54 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmano1 View Post
Concealed carry. All things being equal short pistols are easier to conceal.
Its not "that much" shorter. The difference between a 17 and 19 is less than that of a Colt GM vs a Commander.

The difference in size between the 17's and 19's is basically insignificant. I have both, and carry a 17.

Now the difference between the 17 and 26 is more of a difference. And that 26 can be carried in places that the 17 and 19 cant.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Its not "that much" shorter. The difference between a 17 and 19 is less than that of a Colt GM vs a Commander.

The difference in size between the 17's and 19's is basically insignificant. I have both, and carry a 17.

Now the difference between the 17 and 26 is more of a difference. And that 26 can be carried in places that the 17 and 19 cant.
No it isn’t “that“ much shorter but when you wear them every day at work, in addition to being a teacher I’m also a school security officer, “that” little bit of difference means quite a bit when factoring in jackets and such.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 AM
What?

Quote:
No it isnt that much shorter but when you wear them every day at work, in addition to being a teacher Im also a school security officer, that little bit of difference means quite a bit when factoring in jackets and such.
If you say so. I never found it to be the case, and Ive been doing it daily for about 40 some odd years now. And most of that in NPE's, where I cant afford for the gun to be noticed.

Use the right gear, and have a proper attitude, and most things are achievable.

By all means, carry what youre comfortable with, just dont fool yourself that a 1/2" in slide length between a 17 and 19 is going to make a difference. If anything did, it would be the differences in the grip, and even that isnt much of a difference.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 10,639 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
If you say so. I never found it to be the case, and Ive been doing it daily for about 40 some odd years now. And most of that in NPE's, where I cant afford for the gun to be noticed.

By all means, carry what youre comfortable with, just dont fool yourself that a 1/2" in slide length between a 17 and 19 is going to make a difference. If anything did, it would be the differences in the grip, and even that isnt much of a difference.
You're obviously not a pistolero where that shorter barrel makes your draw time .00048 seconds quicker!
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I have both a 31 (.357sig version of a 17) and a 19 and I couldn't disagree more. The 19 is a significantly smaller overall footprint, and vastly easier to carry concealed in lighter clothing. I'm not exactly skinny either, and the full size Glocks just tend to protrude way too much from behind you. Easily noticeable, bumping into things, etc
Old 06-02-2019, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:

It’s a compromise. It always is when choosing a firearm for concealed carry. All body types are different. Many situations are different.

In a classroom with my six foot frame and 195 lb weight I found the 19 to be a good compromise between the 17 and the smaller glocks. The smaller glocks hide easier but I shoot the larger pistol, 19, much better.

I’m hoping the longer grip frame of the model 45 won’t make “that” much difference in concealability. However I’m in the process of losing weight so I’m hoping that will help.

If not I may be trading again.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:37 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
I have both a 31 (.357sig version of a 17) and a 19 and I couldn't disagree more. The 19 is a significantly smaller overall footprint, and vastly easier to carry concealed in lighter clothing. I'm not exactly skinny either, and the full size Glocks just tend to protrude way too much from behind you. Easily noticeable, bumping into things, etc
Ive carried both, and never noticed a difference.

Ive also carried both under a normal (for me) sized, untucked tee shirt as well, and again, no problems.

Up until a few years ago, I always carried IWB at around 4:30, and now carry AIWB, which offers the best concealment and protection Ive found yet, and its a good bit easier and less worry than carrying at 4-4:30. Nothing pokes out behind you when you lean forward, and its pretty hard to bump into things.

As with any of them, you have to put in the time and effort to find what will work best for what you plan on carrying. Ive pretty much always carried full sized handguns, and never found it too difficult to figure out a way to do that. But, it wasnt the first holster or spot on my body that ended up being the choice. Took me a while and a few holsters to figure it out. Pretty much got things narrowed down to a kydex AIWB and a Smart Carry for pretty much everything. But thats what works best for me. You do what you have to do to make it work.

Quote:
Its a compromise. It always is when choosing a firearm for concealed carry. All body types are different. Many situations are different.

In a classroom with my six foot frame and 195 lb weight I found the 19 to be a good compromise between the 17 and the smaller glocks. The smaller glocks hide easier but I shoot the larger pistol, 19, much better.

Im hoping the longer grip frame of the model 45 wont make that much difference in concealability. However Im in the process of losing weight so Im hoping that will help.

If not I may be trading again.
Id be willing to bet, youre going to be making that trade, unless you work at carrying the gun differently.

The longer grip is usually harder to deal with than the barrel length.

Unless you insist on only using/trying one type of holster and/or a specific spot on the body to carry it, the size of the gun isnt really generally an issue.

If you insist on only carrying OWB at say 3:00-4:00, then you will tend to limit your choices. But with todays assortment and availability of good carry gear, if you say you're limited, its only by choice.

One thing with the "smaller" Glocks, they do shoot pretty much as well as the bigger versions, although the shorter sight radius is a bit of a hindrance, and they arent quite as easy to get ahold of quickly. Then again, most all of the smaller guns have that issue.

I actually find the 26 to be more comfortable than the 19's to shoot, simply because I can wrap my pinkie under the bottom of the grip. The 19 it just a tad short, making its grip cramped and a bit uncomfortable, but not short enough, to get that pinkie under it. Thats the main reason I dont bother carrying them. The 17's and 26's are a better fit.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Ive carried both, and never noticed a difference.

Ive also carried both under a normal (for me) sized, untucked tee shirt as well, and again, no problems.

Up until a few years ago, I always carried IWB at around 4:30, and now carry AIWB, which offers the best concealment and protection Ive found yet, and its a good bit easier and less worry than carrying at 4-4:30. Nothing pokes out behind you when you lean forward, and its pretty hard to bump into things.

As with any of them, you have to put in the time and effort to find what will work best for what you plan on carrying. Ive pretty much always carried full sized handguns, and never found it too difficult to figure out a way to do that. But, it wasnt the first holster or spot on my body that ended up being the choice. Took me a while and a few holsters to figure it out. Pretty much got things narrowed down to a kydex AIWB and a Smart Carry for pretty much everything. But thats what works best for me. You do what you have to do to make it work.

Id be willing to bet, youre going to be making that trade, unless you work at carrying the gun differently.

The longer grip is usually harder to deal with than the barrel length.

Unless you insist on only using/trying one type of holster and/or a specific spot on the body to carry it, the size of the gun isnt really generally an issue.

If you insist on only carrying OWB at say 3:00-4:00, then you will tend to limit your choices. But with todays assortment and availability of good carry gear, if you say you're limited, its only by choice.

One thing with the "smaller" Glocks, they do shoot pretty much as well as the bigger versions, although the shorter sight radius is a bit of a hindrance, and they arent quite as easy to get ahold of quickly. Then again, most all of the smaller guns have that issue.

I actually find the 26 to be more comfortable than the 19's to shoot, simply because I can wrap my pinkie under the bottom of the grip. The 19 it just a tad short, making its grip cramped and a bit uncomfortable, but not short enough, to get that pinkie under it. Thats the main reason I dont bother carrying them. The 17's and 26's are a better fit.
For you. The 17 and 26 are a better fit for you. However, I’m not you.

For my work situation, 10 hour days constantly surrounded by people, my 19 and a simple high ride Kodex Holster has worked out great.

I don’t feel limited. I’m in the zone. I’m just tweaken’ It a bit with the 45 instead of the 19.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
What?

Quote:
For you. The 17 and 26 are a better fit for you. However, Im not you.

For my work situation, 10 hour days constantly surrounded by people, my 19 and a simple high ride Kodex Holster has worked out great.

I dont feel limited. Im in the zone. Im just tweaken It a bit with the 45 instead of the 19.
I guess where youre losing me is, youre basically going to be carrying a 17 with the 45, so whats the difference?

But if its you, then by all means, have at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 10,639 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
I guess where youre losing me is, youre basically going to be carrying a 17 with the 45, so whats the difference?

But if its you, then by all means, have at it.
Yeah, I can't see how he can be disagreeing/arguing with you, he's saying on one hand that a G17 doesn't work for him (when you were talking about grips) but on the other hand that a G17 with a slightly shorter slide does.

Yeah, you're not the only one who is lost by those posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post: