Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator Basics? Troglodad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 49 07-01-2019 10:32 AM
Inverter generator vs normal generator wisconsin_newbie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 01-27-2019 07:31 AM
Generator exposed to line voltage---is it toast? zooeyhll DIY - Do It Yourself 14 12-31-2018 01:36 AM
Cabin- Need help on well pump power and generator! tonyt DIY - Do It Yourself 54 11-02-2018 05:42 PM
Portable generator best practices TonyDedo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 10-03-2018 12:05 PM

Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,754 Times in 2,258 Posts

Advertise Here

You're not mistaken. But this system doesn't work on a one for one basis. It takes a very small solar stretched over X period and converts it to mechanical that is then used over Y period. Energy generated over a long period in tiny amounts can make for an energy in large amounts used in a short period. The biggest prob is in the multiple energy conversions. No machine is 100% efficient in our physical laws so every time it's converted, you lose energy. Under our laws, you'll never be able to get out more than you put in....so the entire idea of perpetual generation fails. Under our physical laws. So the key is in breaking our physical laws, not in making a machine that takes advantage of that. Without the one, you can never have the other. A water wheel doesn't work if it's being carried along on a river current. It only works when you isolate it from the environment you want to use. Drop it on a bank and then let the river do its duty. Same goes for wind power....a hot air balloon in a hurricane just blows along calmly....but stick your wind powered generator on a large tower and let the wind have at it. If you can somehow break the gravity force, you can move objects with tiny amounts of energy and then use gravity as your generator. Think water wheel but using say bowling balls. Zero gravity lift them to a height, gravity back on and they fall generating energy. Imagine a generator, isolated from gravity itself, sitting on the edge of a black hole event horizon. You tap the massive gravity forces and end up with basically infinte energy. Same goes for the other primary forces....break the strong nuclear bond, turn it off and separate the nucleus particles....force back on and you get, basically, cold fusion power. The key is in breaking our natural physical laws to isolate the intended system. The system can't work otherwise.

Half asleep following dinner. If this makes no sense, I'll delete it when I get back up.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,433 Times in 1,285 Posts
Default My bad Corpus

i didn't understand what you meant by copper pipe. Electrical/mechanical workings are not my strength so I was trying to keep it simple. I apologize for the snarky reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
I assumed you would use copper to generate electricity, maybe I should reread the OP but I thought you were asking if you can generate electricity by linear motion. If so you’d need to move a magnet past copper windings at a sufficient speed. My example of a copper pipe was just illustrative, you’d get the same resistance no matter what the pipe were made of if it had copper windings assuming the windings themselves were close enough to the magnet to generate power and I’m not sure it would be with a pvc pipe.

I’m not trying to discourage your attempt in fact I was agreeing with you when you pointed out it wouldn’t be “free” power. If I misunderstood your post feel free to disregard.

Edit to add: The holes in the pvc would make no difference, the resistance comes from the magnet in effect pushing electrons down the copper, look up Lenz law it may help you get a working prototype.
The Following User Says Thank You to katielyn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 11,666 Times in 3,813 Posts

Quote:
Gravity is thus the main part of the fuel.
No.

Gravity cannot be fuel.

In this case it's simply because the gravity pulling the pendulum back down on the upswing exactly cancels out the assist it gives on the downswing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:

Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,025 Times in 5,457 Posts

This is what I see when you say linear, small scale yes but basically the same idea. I say build it or die trying. Wont hurt to give it a shot..
Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,469 Times in 610 Posts

BTW, this is what is happening each time you swipe your credit card in a reader. The magnetic strip being physically dragged passed another stationary magnet generates the electric current which is used to read the card number. I'd say that all the practical applications for this technology (like the flashlight) have already been exploited.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM

My son-in-law works for a company that is doing government funded research into power generation with a system that would work best with a linear generator. The issue is that close tolerances are required and they haven't been able to come up with a bearing system for the linear generator that has a decent service life. The larger the generator, the bigger the issue.