Which is best BOL. American Redoubt or Ozarks? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on the Ruger American? justin22885 Pistol and Revolver Forum 10 07-18-2018 06:53 AM
IT WAS the 24th day of the SECOND AMERICAN REVOLUTION NW GUY Books, Movies & Stories 12 04-09-2018 04:22 AM
Review: Ruger American Compact Rifle in 308 Win AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 10-10-2016 02:30 PM
Ozark Redoubt DrPepper Missouri 1 10-09-2016 08:13 PM

Old 04-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,842 Times in 545 Posts

Advertise Here

I vote that all of you head for the Ozarks. I hear it's great over there.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,228 Times in 1,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I vote that all of you head for the Ozarks. I hear it's great over there.
You enjoy that liberal freedom you all have in Washington. There is more liberal freedom in the pipeline. You will get the freedom you deserve.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulcher View Post
Here is another thought. I like to try and imagine how we would have to do things without modern products or services. I have just been doing my tick fighting and weed control program the last week or so. This is very time consuming and pretty much impossible with out chemicals and a lot of effort. We have so much poison ivy here that I am constantly in a war with it just to keep it out of our yard,, off water stanchions, tack shops, storage sheds, garden areas just about everywhere I turn. Same with ticks, I try to keep the yard cut back as far as possible for fire protection, ticks and good field of view for 2 legged varmits. But without chemical for ticks it would be pretty much a lost cause. Even with me cutting back areas, and removing tick habitat we are still like monkeys picking fleas when it comes to ticks. I hate to imagine what I would face without those products to kill ticks or fuel to waste mowing grass and blowing away leaves etc. Dang I hate ticks.
We have a lot of ticks here, more than you would have in the Redoubt, for sure.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:

Old 04-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 28,486 Times in 10,134 Posts

Quote:
... Dang I hate ticks.
The ticks are a minor thing compared to the chiggers. Then there is the wasps, biting flies, spiders of all shape, description and the poisonous snakes. Ozarks is not a place for the thin of skin. From Spring to Fall my daily cologne and aftershave has DEET at 25%. If I am going to do work outdoors I have to put on more serious insect repellent.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
The ticks are a minor thing compared to the chiggers. Then there is the wasps, biting flies, spiders of all shape, description and the poisonous snakes. Ozarks is not a place for the thin of skin. From Spring to Fall my daily cologne and aftershave has DEET at 25%. If I am going to do work outdoors I have to put on more serious insect repellent.
Yes indeed
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:04 PM

I was born and raised in Okie Land, and spent a lot of time in TX where other family lives. However, my adult life- the growth phase of life - to now has been spent in Wyoming.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but you're not just coming to the Northern Rockies and "making a go of it". I get the idea of wanting to be remote. It definitely has it's pros. The cons are not knowing the country you'll be moving into. Reading books, articles, taking a vaca or watching a YouTube video isn't going to cut it.

The Northern Rockies are a completely different animal than what people realize. Thats why even in the 21st Century it is lightly populated.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WindRiverWanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,537 Times in 4,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I Love threads like this since it seems to me that the great American Redoubt can never be discussed too much.

My ancestors on my Dad's side were from the Ozarks of MO during the Great Depression and even for many years before. Many were Native Americans and truly lived off the land until WWII or maybe it was the 1950's. My grandparents took my Dad and his brother from the Ozarks to Colorado where their life and income went way up and that was in the 1940's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Rawles lives in the redoubt so that's good enough for me.
I don't really care about Rawles although I have read some of what he has written and really like his writings. But most of my friends live in the American Redoubt as I do also ( WY ) and that is more than enough for me.

Quote:
No insects or snakes except once I saw a harmless garter snake in a woodpile a mile from my land. There are mosquitoes, a few biting flies and many insects from mid July to early Sept. though. I wear mosquito netting if necessary and gloves since once I saw a biting fly biting the back of my hand. That was once after spending most summers - all summer everyday - up there since 1987.

High temps on my mtn place which is at 9,500 feet are about 75 for a high in the shade. A high of 60 down by the cool water springs even in mid July and August. Stilll need a greenhouse to grow tomatoes and such. But cool weather veggies do great. I use mostly container gardens.

I chose my mtn land in Wyoming on July 4, 1987 long before I even heard or read anything about the American Redoubt. And many seem to forget Wyoming is a big part of the American Redoubt. I could post links but people - if interested - should do their own research about that and many things.

Here is what I and a few others think about where a great BOL can be located, far from cities and has abundant water, wood and wildlife. >>>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...ad.php?t=84562

I chose it for many reasons mainly since I could not afford to move to Alaska or even Montana and still my BOL was close enough - 200 miles - from my elderly parents whom I helped much until they both died in early June 2016 in a nursing home in CO.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,081 Posts

[QUOTE=Batty;19493382]I vote that all of you head for the Ozarks. I hear it's great over there.[/
I'll take that as a vote for the Redoubt. Now why do you like the Redoubt?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Well I kinda left those out but yah the dang chiggers and seed ticks. Seed ticks are worse than full size ticks. Nothin like chigger blisters between your toes or on your privates. The chemical I spread 2-3-4 times a year keeps them slowed back. But they still get you. Without that I think it would be very bad. And the snakes, Son got nailed by a rattler 4 years ago in the hand, even with anti venom it was a close call.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Gulcher
What area do you live in now?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I Love threads like this since it seems to me that the great American Redoubt can never be discussed too much.

My ancestors on my Dad's side were from the Ozarks of MO during the Great Depression and even for many years before. Many were Native Americans and truly lived off the land until WWII or maybe it was the 1950's. My grandparents took my Dad and his brother from the Ozarks to Colorado where their life and income went way up and that was in the 1940's.

I don't really care about Rawles although I have read some of what he has written and really like his writings. But most of my friends live in the American Redoubt as I do also ( WY ) and that is more than enough for me.

No insects or snakes except once I saw a harmless garter snake in a woodpile a mile from my land. There are mosquitoes, a few biting flies and many insects from mid July to early Sept. though. I wear mosquito netting if necessary and gloves since once I saw a biting fly biting the back of my hand. That was once after spending most summers - all summer everyday - up there since 1987.

High temps on my mtn place which is at 9,500 feet are about 75 for a high in the shade. A high of 60 down by the cool water springs even in mid July and August. Stilll need a greenhouse to grow tomatoes and such. But cool weather veggies do great. I use mostly container gardens.

I chose my mtn land in Wyoming on July 4, 1987 long before I even heard or read anything about the American Redoubt. And while many seem to forget Wyoming is a big part of the American Redoubt. I could post links but people - if interested - should do their own research about that and many things.

Here is what I and a few others think about where a great BOL can be located, far from cities and has abundant water, wood and wildlife. >>>> https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...ad.php?t=84562

I chose it for many reasons mainly since I could not afford to move to Alaska or even Montana and still my BOL was close enough - 200 miles - from my elderly parents whom I helped much until they both died in early June 2016 in a nursing home in CO.
Wow at 9500 ft and gardening. Our property is at 4000 ft in MT. I will go through all of that post. How was the snow this winter?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,037 Times in 3,507 Posts

Quote:
What is your opinion plus and minus on each location. And your reason for picking one or the other.

I have no opinion on the Ozarks, been through there a few times and it's nice, on the other hand I already live in the area Rawles describes as the American redoubt. I'm here by default not by design, it's a generational thing.

I can say this, people from along the I-5 corridor who for what ever reason have become motivated or disenfranchised are relocating here. The region is filling up fast with California, Oregon and Washington transplants. They seem to like it here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,290 Times in 553 Posts

Too cold in the NW states, Ozarks hot ,humid and full of bugs
I like the desert SW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Gulcher
What area do you live in now?
Right now we are on 65 acre farm in Ozarks, the son moved to our property in Mt. 3 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

[quote=Gulcher;19493522]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I vote that all of you head for the Ozarks. I hear it's great over there.[/
I'll take that as a vote for the Redoubt. Now why do you like the Redoubt?
I don't know why many like the Redoubt or anywhere that people live. But here are a few reasons why I chose my mountain land in southern Wyoming. I could and should write a book. I think I have in my pic threads and many posts though.

I don't hear very many actually none here in Wyoming anyway who talk about the Redoubt. They likely don't even know what that means. They either were born here which is not too many or moved here for the beauty, for the wildlife, for the great hunting, fishing, hiking, camping etc etc etc.

If people do not mind crowded cities, crowded campsites and crowds in general then the warm states are great. IF there ever is a bad SHTF then crowds won't be so nice to have around. I like Wyoming also since more wildlife than people, even more pronghorn antelope than people in Wyoming.

I have given links before and won't give the links again and again. But this one showing a "secret" place in the central Rocky Mountains should be plenty for reasons why the Rocky Mountain area is great and quite a few have moved here from other, even warmer states - specifically Wyoming - even pretty far from Yellowstone. Link showing with many pics and info >>> http://saratogachamber.info/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
Too cold in the NW states, Ozarks hot ,humid and full of bugs
I like the desert SW.
Well that is another thing with the Ozarks, without AC pretty miserable all summer, I can see why Mexico adopted the siesta. One son lived in Phoenix for a couple of years the heat was literally too much. In a full grid down post collapse it alone will get many.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Homesteader

[quote=Mtnman Mike;19493552]
Quote:

I don't know why many like the Redoubt or anywhere that people live. But here are a few reasons why I chose my mountain land in southern Wyoming. I could and should write a book. I think I have in my pic threads and many posts though.

I don't hear very many actually none here in Wyoming anyway who talk about the Redoubt. They likely don't even know what that means. They either were born here which is not too many or moved here for the beauty, for the wildlife, for the great hunting, fishing, hiking, camping etc etc etc.

If people do not mind crowded cities, crowded campsites and crowds in general then the warm states are great. IF there ever is a bad SHTF then crowds won't be so nice to have around. I like Wyoming also since more wildlife than people, even more pronghorn antelope than people in Wyoming.

I have given links before and won't give the links again and again. But this one showing a "secret" place in the central Rocky Mountains should be plenty for reasons why the Rocky Mountain area is great and quite a few have moved here from other, even warmer states - specifically Wyoming - even pretty far from Yellowstone. Link showing with many pics and info >>> http://saratogachamber.info/
Personally I am looking forward to the trout fishing on the upper Missouri and Dearborn rivers. There are so many old jeep trails as well to putter around in my old 48cj2a as well. There is one abandoned jeep trail by the property that goes up and over and splits to another two valleys. I find the Ozarks is like being in a hive, surrounded by millions with no back door escape hatch. While I know in MT. All around me is millions of acres of open land, bush and mts to fade into if necessary to retreat. Here there is no retreat safe place.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:50 PM
VIP Member

There are not a lot of Rattlesnakes here in the Ozarks. Sorry to hear about your son getting bitten. When I lived in So Cal mountians at 4500 feet, I killed about 100 rattlesnakes in 12 years. Dogs got bitten a few times. I was always concerned for my daughter and wife. I think 4000 to 4500 feet is the perfect elevation. Just high enough. Love Northern Arizona Grand Canyon area. I think of our property here as a retreat. Very private. Where I lived in So Cal was remote and wide open. But the West is pretty awesome. In the end I value freedom most of all. We have it the max here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Wow at 9500 ft and gardening. Our property is at 4000 in MT. I will go through all of that post. How was the snow this winter?
Thanks for the question since unlike many I love to answer questions about survival in general and my mountain place in WY especially.

I doubt you will go All through that link which is many pages long with hundreds of pics, videos and much info. But some have and seem to really like that mtn wilderness survival retreat experiences thread.

And when I finally move permanently to my mtn retreat which is 12 miles west of Encampment, WY and only a mile from the top of the Divide I should write a book although so much work and things to do probably no time to write a book but maybe a journal.

Gardening is great up there even at more than 9,000 feet mainly from early July to about Oct. which is plenty enough time to grow various vegetables. I plan to build one or maybe two greenhouses plus the cabin or two within the next five years so more about that someday...

And while many winters are not too bad although still six feet or so of snowpack, quite a few other winters can be very snowy. Such as this past winter which is quite a bit above normal snowpack and hit 122 inches in early March. Now getting around 90 inches and can melt pretty fast from late May and by early July even snow in the most shaded areas is melted.

And people who don't like snow then ok but it is better than no snow or no water. When the snow is melting I have seven springs of extremely good water that does not even have to be filtered. I do have a Big Berkey drip water filter as well as a few smaller filters but even in the most terrible drought year such as 2012 when it did not even snow on my land until Nov. I still had two good springs of water.

AND people keep talking about EMP's, hurricanes and even zombies but that will not affect many such as me who will survive, live and even thrive. There is a remote chance of forest fire but that is unlikely and I have smelled forest fire smoke from miles away but even the most dry summers never have had a forest / wild fire closer than 12 miles.

About trout fishing is that Saratoga, WY says as a motto: "where trout jump in Main street" and they do since the N. Platte river runs thru that town. Plus there is the area called the Miracle Mile which is more than a mile with so awful many trout.

No place is perfect but some places are more perfect for all kinds of survival and I think a few places such as in the Rocky Mountains are almost as perfect for all kinds of survival as one can find... It is debatable but I am not moving and within a year I hope to never even leave Wyoming ever again even if I live for forty more years...

And while maybe not the best photo or reason I could tell about why the Redoubt is great this is on the Snake River in NW WY and should be a bit better than anything more that I or anyone can tell or write >>>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 01:53 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRiverWanderer View Post
I was born and raised in Okie Land, and spent a lot of time in TX where other family lives. However, my adult life- the growth phase of life - to now has been spent in Wyoming.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but you're not just coming to the Northern Rockies and "making a go of it". I get the idea of wanting to be remote. It definitely has it's pros. The cons are not knowing the country you'll be moving into. Reading books, articles, taking a vaca or watching a YouTube video isn't going to cut it.

The Northern Rockies are a completely different animal than what people realize. Thats why even in the 21st Century it is lightly populated.
That is very true, but in my case spent many years in the Rockies winter and summer. I been snowed in before and in my younger days even pulled calves at -40f. But this is a different scenario I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post: