Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 wildfire season begins biathlon Manmade and Natural Disasters 13 06-10-2019 08:04 AM
Punisher Season 2 **Minor spoilers** 7.5x55 Swiss Books, Movies & Stories 0 01-29-2019 03:33 PM
Why Late Hunting Season is Best Hunting Season AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 10-31-2018 06:33 AM
2018 - 2019 hunting season stands ready? kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 1 10-01-2018 09:36 PM
NCIS Season 14 - Beginning of the End Batko10 Books, Movies & Stories 5 12-19-2017 09:54 AM

Old 05-26-2019, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

Swamppapa: I LIVE in Enid! No, I'm not originally from Enid, originally I'm from the heart of Kansas, so I know all about tornado's, I've seen more than a few in my time, PLENTY in fact . I still cringe when I see the movie, lol.
I'm familar with the legend, but I was told it a bit differently...by my Grandmother and a real Indian Chief. The Dine indians decreed that no tornado's would hit downtown Enid. Where this ends in distance of property, I don't know, but the outskirts of Enid has been hit with them in the past, so I imagine that the Dine Indians probably had their camp set up in the vicintity nearest downtown. Dine Park is named after them and so was Enid, which is Dine spelled in reverse.
I spent summers here because my grandmother and cousins lived here. My two brothers were born here, the only reason I wasn't my Dad/Mom decided to move. Born 1951 in Topeka where I was born, then to KCK during the Great Flood .
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,252 Times in 575 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
Sure it started a while ago, but I got the short straw and had to travel to Texas for work. I missed the first round last week, but I'm in the same boat as most of the state tonight. It should poke around here at 4-5 am, so I'll download a tornado app to get any warnings. I don't care about the hail as it's a rental.

Might be a fun night to be on the top floor of the hotel. Time to scope out the exits and pack the essentials in a grab bag with the shoes lined up and ready.

Stay safe, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Louisiana, etc.

If all this bad weather is not unusual and happens like this way every year, why do people want to live there?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Actually, Enid doesn't have that many tornado's EVERY year. According to the National Weather Service history tornado's are seen about every 4 years and I noticed those are seen to the West/NW of Enid. There are a few legends that say Enid derived it's name from a book (Lord Tennison) and a chuckwagon during the 1893 land run when the owner's titled it DINE. I prefer the Indian legend, which sound plausible IMO.
Kansas has far more tornado's, as I've seen first hand .
I know that many believe that the weather patterns are NOT changing, but I believe they are.
Bottom line: I can live anywhere, but weather related disasters still happen everywhere. I chose Enid because I thought my brother wanted to move back here (long story) and I was agreeable, given that I spent summers here. It's changed over the years, as many do in time. Brother passed on 2+ years and I remain .
The Following User Says Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:

Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 61,330 Times in 18,922 Posts

Do news reporters not have access to maps?
They say this tornado hit near Tulsa. The article then explains it hit 25 miles West of OKC. 130 miles from Tulsa !

I guess by that logic it hit near Houston too!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartanntp

Edit, I guess I read it wrong. They were talking about multiple tornadoes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 PM
VIP Member

It was on msn yesterday about it hitting El Reno. The one in Tulsa hit near the airport. Jefferson City, MO was hit just a few days ago, really made a mess f things . Haven't heard anything about Houston weather. Something like 141 tornado's were reported in 7 states, maybe more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 04:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,162 Times in 5,259 Posts

The alarms went off but no tornado. Just a big thunderstorm with hail stripping the plants and now rain. Hopefully not a new roof and hopefully not to bad for the cars outside. We'll see in the morning.

It was worse a couple miles south and there are reports of cars sliding off the interstate on the hail.

We're in a flash flood warning but I'm not in a flood zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:03 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,898 Times in 626 Posts

Reports coming that some bad ones ripped through Ohio last night
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drill That Oil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Survivor

High water under the bridges, some traffic lights out, and a lot of beat up plants, but not as bad as it sounded when driven by the wind. There were still piles of hail on the ground this morning.

The outlook for this afternoon and the early evening isn't good. A bigger chance of heavy storms with more rain, larger hail, and possibly tornadoes. But it was a really nice weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,407 Posts

Haven't seen Ohio man or Buckeye guy today. Hoping you guys are just busy cleaning up debris and sitting down to a good lunch wondering how long the power will be out. Updates on how bad things are down there seem to be slow. Hoping the same for the rest of you from Ohio that I don't know you're there as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Prepared

Several tornadoes hit south of I70 on the north end of Dayton (northern Montgomery county), western Greene county and southern Miami county, my sister & bil place was in the path but wasn't hit. Forgot one up in Mercer county (Celina)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 12:08 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
you're not from around here are you? if it helps, there is a legend that the spot that the original town of Enid was built on is immune to tornados. so east and north of down town and along north van Buren it's said it has to do with the springs.

and historically this is true.

There's an area in the southern part of Huntsville, AL called tornado alley because the tornadoes have historically come in over one area of the mountain ridge, bounced, and then traveled through the same area of the city... several times over... it was so obvious, it impacted home sales in this area, too
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,848 Posts

North Dakota got its *fair share* too

https://www.grandforksherald.com/new...Fridays-storms

And Minnesota

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...a-sheriff-says

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...maging-tornado

Nationwide map

U.S. map to see location of storm reports. The date can be changed to see the locations for any specific day.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/190527_rpts.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Survivor

Lawrence KS and the Kansas City metro was hit tonight.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/weat...230922503.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Latest news, the path of these tornado's is working it's way from KCK to PA. The outbreak of these tornado's is said to be unusual in itself this year.

If it's one thing I'll NEVER forget, it's the tornado that hit when I was about 5 years old, I thought my mother lost her mind when she was in fact only protecting her children. We lived in an upstairs apartment, she was giving me a bath. Suddenly she jerked me out of the tub, wrapped a towel around me and shoved me under a bed. She saw my brothers coming home from a theater, screamed for them to go to a neighbor's house, there was no time to lose. Next, she pulled me out from under the bed and shove me in a closet, slammed the door shut. Here I was, wondering why I was in the dark, in a closet, I didn't have a clue what was going on, LOL. I later did the very same thing with 2 of my own children. Funny how the memory works, lol. To this day, don't know where Mom went, certainly not in the closet with me . Tornado's fascinated my mother, so she might have gone to watch it .
I took my youngest son to see the movie. He asked me, "Is that for real, does that really happen?" meaning the movie. He was 8 or 9 at the time. Thank God I didn't have to tell him twice the next time a tornado came through. Yep, it REALLY happens .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 03:56 PM
Prepared

Had one tear through about 10 acres of woods pretty much destroying it. The same one hit a milk barn wiping it out and killing several head of milk cows. About 10 miles from us in Indiana. I’m not sure if it was the same one but it was the same storm that rolled a double wide mobile home trapping two people inside and sucking one person out the front door into the front yard before it rolled. I believe everyone survived thus far. Except a bunch of milk cows.

Myself and a few guys I work with were talking about how I wished I had a basement or storm shelter. This conversation happened about two weeks before the tornado came pretty close to home. Some of them agreed and some of them said “ why do you want one? The odds of getting hit by a tornado is very small”. The subject got brought up again yesterday, the night after it happened. All but one bonehead now agrees that it would be a good thing to have. Very odd how things happen sometimes, just goes to show that you never know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstrike View Post
Some of them agreed and some of them said “ why do you want one? The odds of getting hit by a tornado is very small”.
This may be true, but when you're at risk of flying debre, the debre alone can kill you. I think that was the whole point in the movie, not that tornado's just happen, but they do come out of nowhere sometimes when least expected. Love the movie even though it sends chill down my spine, LOL.

Some alternatives are, when you don't have a basement/storm shelter:
1. Covering a bathtub with a mattress (after you get in ) and hanging on for dear life.
2. Going to the center/strongest point of your home, preferrably a closet or hallway using a mattress or pillow.
3. Entering a ditch when there's nowhere else to go.
4. Squeezing up under a bridge. NOT in a vehicle.
Always protect the head in ALL these.

I don't have a basement or storm shelter either, but I'm thinking one would be wise anyway .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,451 Times in 496 Posts

Dayton, Ohio area here, 5 confirmed tornadoes and more across Ohio on Memorial Day evening about 2300 and later. 1 death in Celina Ohio and 160+ in hospitals.

Would like to beat the news crews who shove a camera and mic in someone’s face, sweating, dirty and distraught and ask them “How does this make you feel” or entering someone’s home and panning the camera over their destroyed possessions saying, we don’t know who lived here but it’s a mess.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jframe View Post
Dayton, Ohio area here, 5 confirmed tornadoes and more across Ohio on Memorial Day evening about 2300 and later. 1 death in Celina Ohio and 160+ in hospitals.

Would like to beat the news crews who shove a camera and mic in someone’s face, sweating, dirty and distraught and ask them “How does this make you feel” or entering someone’s home and panning the camera over their destroyed possessions saying, we don’t know who lived here but it’s a mess.
I hate seeing that kind of thing as well. It’s not right but they will always do it no matter how personal it may be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammerstrike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 26,623 Times in 7,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepal View Post
This may be true, but when you're at risk of flying debre, the debre alone can kill you. I think that was the whole point in the movie, not that tornado's just happen, but they do come out of nowhere sometimes when least expected. Love the movie even though it sends chill down my spine, LOL.

Some alternatives are, when you don't have a basement/storm shelter:
1. Covering a bathtub with a mattress (after you get in ) and hanging on for dear life.
2. Going to the center/strongest point of your home, preferrably a closet or hallway using a mattress or pillow.
3. Entering a ditch when there's nowhere else to go.
4. Squeezing up under a bridge. NOT in a vehicle.
Always protect the head in ALL these.

I don't have a basement or storm shelter either, but I'm thinking one would be wise anyway .
At my house the kids each get a kevlar vest. I wear hard plates. They get in the tub, and I'll shield them from the top. Duty bag, which includes breaching/extraction tools, radio, etc, gets strapped to the base of the toilet. Everyone's got a flashlight on them. They had to get in the tub last week but we stopped just short of me needing to go over them. Tornado missed us by about a mile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,153 Times in 9,341 Posts

Just a comment about preparing for tornados.

The first year i owned my place in Ok, I was sleeping in a tent, when a F3 tornado passed overhead.
It happened at night, and the only warning I had, were the tornado sirens going off.
This combination is certain to make you to feel small and vulnerable.

Two yrs ago a tiny tornado (F1) tore my open front livestock building out of the ground.
I was then living in a pole barn about 200 yds away, with a 5th wheel parked in it..
It still made me feel small and vulnerable.

Last spring I started excavating for my walkout basement. Just completed an ICF basement, and a Cedar Log House, on top of it.
In the basement I set up a queen bed and half bath. The ICF walls are 11" thick, and that corner is covered by 8ft of soil.
Tornados are still a threat, but they are not nearly as scary, when you have a solid structure.

I dont believe I would enjoy trying to survive very long in a tent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: