My process for making a reduced size, lower recoil 20 gauge shotgun shell - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mckinnely's Fitness Blog Mckinnely Fitness Blogs 4 10-24-2018 05:29 AM
Mossberg Releases 20 Gauge Shockwave AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 03-25-2018 06:38 AM
Making the Most of the ĚLittle GunĚ Outpost75 Shotgun Forum 18 12-16-2017 10:43 AM
Zeiss Demo Sports Optics Sale gr8fuldoug Camera Land 1 04-18-2017 03:42 PM
Zeiss Demo & Sample Sale gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 02-21-2017 02:01 PM

Old 04-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,762 Times in 5,388 Posts
Default My process for making a reduced size, lower recoil 20 gauge shotgun shell

Advertise Here

https://youtu.be/hImP4NGCMrI
Please let me know any constructive suggestions
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Crazy

Thanked 9,943 Times in 3,264 Posts

If we lived closer I think we would be friends. The process looks good but the video drags along a little slow. Example: the overshot card part took a really long time for you to get into the floor and start making them. In reality that part could be edited to a 15 second segment of you saying with a 5/8 hole punch and a cutting board I make the shot cards. Then proceed to punch 2 or 3. I would still subscribe and watch the your videos but I would skim through them and that will negatively effect your YouTube algorithm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:

Old 04-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Crazy

I just realized you were asking from criticism on the process and not the YouTube video. That all looks great! I would shoot those. For trimming the shell I would cut a metal pipe to the length you want. Them incert the shell and cut along the top of the pipe.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
If we lived closer I think we would be friends. The process looks good but the video drags along a little slow. Example: the overshot card part took a really long time for you to get into the floor and start making them. In reality that part could be edited to a 15 second segment of you saying with a 5/8 hole punch and a cutting board I make the shot cards. Then proceed to punch 2 or 3. I would still subscribe and watch the your videos but I would skim through them and that will negatively effect your YouTube algorithm.
I completely agree with your opinion that it was taking too long. I am a bit under the weather and found myself speaking slower to avoid more coughing and wheezing.

I try to keep my videos as brief as possible as it make me crazy when people just keep rambling.

I regret not working from a script as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
I completely agree with your opinion that it was taking too long. I am a bit under the weather and found myself speaking slower to avoid more coughing and wheezing.

I try to keep my videos as brief as possible as it make me crazy when people just keep rambling.

I regret not working from a script as well.
I still enjoyed it but I did skim through a few places. Like I said if you every try to build a following YouTube knows when people skim through a video. The Algorithm they use records that as a incomplete watch. The same as if someone stops half way through. The algorithm thinks itís not entertaining and doesnít suggest it as often as a video that is watched all the way and get a likes.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 PM
Hiker

I reload 410 shells in a similar manner. Of course there is no Lee Loadall for the 410 so I had to make a loading plate. Easy to do.

When I load them I set up to load 25 at a time. Sort of a little production run. One tip is that I save all my loaded shells to the end and then do the roll crimp on all of them at once. The roll crimper needs to be hot to make the best roll crimps.

For the first crimp I preheat the crimper with my torch. But not so hot it melts the hull. Once I have done the first crimp or two the crimper starts making the nicest crimps and crimps fast. Thats why I do 25 at the same time.

I made a shell holder out of wood that uses thumb pressure to hold the shell from spinning. If you want I will take a picture of it and post it here for you to see. I couldn't hold the shells by hand. You do need a holder of some sort.

I like your video. I like the 20ga the best. I need to order a bottle of #4 buck from BPI. I want to make some buck and ball loads with four #4 buck and a .530 round ball. I already make a two ball load by using a Remington SP-20 wad and two 530 balls. The SP-20 wad doesn't have the internal ridges that keep the balls from going all the way in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
I still enjoyed it but I did skim through a few places. Like I said if you every try to build a following YouTube knows when people skim through a video. The Algorithm they use records that as a incomplete watch. The same as if someone stops half way through. The algorithm thinks itís not entertaining and doesnít suggest it as often as a video that is watched all the way and get a likes.
Not really looking for a following per se. My ramblings here are just my personal observations and I make no claim to being an expert on anything.

That being said, I do appreciate feedback as I try to do everything as well as I can.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:28 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,258 Posts

Nice video, Sarge! Enjoyed it!
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
I reload 410 shells in a similar manner. Of course there is no Lee Loadall for the 410 so I had to make a loading plate. Easy to do.

When I load them I set up to load 25 at a time. Sort of a little production run. One tip is that I save all my loaded shells to the end and then do the roll crimp on all of them at once. The roll crimper needs to be hot to make the best roll crimps.

For the first crimp I preheat the crimper with my torch. But not so hot it melts the hull. Once I have done the first crimp or two the crimper starts making the nicest crimps and crimps fast. Thats why I do 25 at the same time.

I made a shell holder out of wood that uses thumb pressure to hold the shell from spinning. If you want I will take a picture of it and post it here for you to see. I couldn't hold the shells by hand. You do need a holder of some sort.

I like your video. I like the 20ga the best. I need to order a bottle of #4 buck from BPI. I want to make some buck and ball loads with four #4 buck and a .530 round ball. I already make a two ball load by using a Remington SP-20 wad and two 530 balls. The SP-20 wad doesn't have the internal ridges that keep the balls from going all the way in.
It would seem that you and I came to the same end on making .410. I have been making shortie using three pieces of .358 lead ball. I use a wad that works very much like a sabot. I cut it short so the crimp forms on the top lead ball. They hold very tightly out to about 20 yards.

I also made my shell holder out of wood and lock it in like the .20 gauge. I drilled out some washers and use them to resize the brass. Now I have a friend with a .410 press who sizes and primes the cases for me. They seem to work great in the Judge.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 38,987 Times in 9,369 Posts

The only suggestion I'd make is:

Try using a copper tubing cutter to cut your shells, it would certainly make it safer than using the box cutter. It would also ensure the mouth of the case is cut square......this is certainly up to you though!

Good job!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
The only suggestion I'd make is:

Try using a copper tubing cutter to cut your shells, it would certainly make it safer than using the box cutter. It would also ensure the mouth of the case is cut square......this is certainly up to you though!

Good job!
I am pretty sure I tried that with either the .410 or the 12 gauge and it didn't works as well. It seemed to mash it rather than a nice clean cut. Maybe if I bought a brand new cutter as mine is pretty old.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 38,987 Times in 9,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
I am pretty sure I tried that with either the .410 or the 12 gauge and it didn't works as well. It seemed to mash it rather than a nice clean cut. Maybe if I bought a brand new cutter as mine is pretty old.
I know you have your process already set up, that was just something I kind of noticed as a potential safety hazard for others trying it at home. I was thinking I'd probably slice my thumb off....

Maybe putting it over a 5/8 piece of copper? (1/2" I.D. plumbers tube)

I was just thinking outside the box, it's your show and I'm not trying to get you to reinvent the wheel, just throwing it out there!

I did watch the whole video and thought you did a good job, you kind of remind me of one of my shop teachers from back in the day
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
. . . I did watch the whole video and thought you did a good job, you kind of remind me of one of my shop teachers from back in the day
Funny you should say that, before I was a part-time High School computer instructor, I taught High School wood shop.

Most cops around here wear cut-resistant gloves for frisking the bad guys.
Or a piece of plastic milk bottle and some surgical tape makes a good safety guard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-20190418_122732-1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	286008  
Old 04-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Hiker

Quote:
It would seem that you and I came to the same end on making .410. I have been making shortie using three pieces of .358 lead ball. I use a wad that works very much like a sabot. I cut it short so the crimp forms on the top lead ball. They hold very tightly out to about 20 yards.

I also made my shell holder out of wood and lock it in like the .20 gauge. I drilled out some washers and use them to resize the brass. Now I have a friend with a .410 press who sizes and primes the cases for me. They seem to work great in the Judge.
Sounds like you got it figured out for you. I like to load a 3 ball load in the .410 myself. I bought a Lee .395 RB mold that cast a 95gr round ball and use 3 in a shortened 410 shell.

I bought a 410 resizer from Mec and use that to drive over the shell and then I use a dowel inside the case to drive it back off in a hole that catches the resized and that also starts the primer out of the case. I use the stump wads from BPI with the 3 ball load.

I found this after I made my reloading set up. Its almost exactly what I am doing except that he bought a crimp folder and refolds his cases. So I guess a lot of us think alike.

https://fromthetrenchesworldreport.c...ding-kit/60500
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,258 Posts

Few years ago when I was first getting into substitute reloading, I was using a Lee LoadAll 2. I still do but I haven't loaded anything in a few years. Just no need and not much time. I found you can stack three of the Loadall resizing collets onto a hull and trim it and it made a 2 1/4" hull. Crimped, it was then a bit under 2". That number was kind of serendipitous in that if you trimmed a target shell wad, it fit the new hull perfectly and you could then stack SIX 00's and SIX BB shot into the new shorter shell and get a perfect star crimp. The resulting shell was higher velocity, less recoil, shorter and it took pretty much nothing but time to create. I was melting/pouring my own buck and slugs back then but I started buying them off of gunbroker to save the time. The extra birdshot, I was storing in 16oz Coke bottles in my shed. Quite a few of those stashed now.

I found an AA MagLite tube is the perfect size for a cutting aid. When handloading buck and slugs, it opens the hull the perfect size, too.

Get your setup just right once and our kind of reloading is no more difficult than any other.

Great thread, guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post: