Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you carry AIWB, you may want to check these out AK103K Pistol and Revolver Forum 1 11-25-2018 05:20 PM
Chest rig with pistol holster? Woodsman 16 Firearms General Discussion 29 01-25-2018 01:38 PM
Drop leg systems, your oppinion? Boy_Sc0ut Firearms General Discussion 43 03-20-2017 05:36 PM
Holster Review: Cry Havoc Gear's Grim "Plus" WMassMilitia Reviews and questions 0 02-15-2017 11:47 PM
Hot Water Fitting a New Leather Holster Hick Industries Pistol and Revolver Forum 16 12-01-2016 10:48 PM

Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,164 Posts
Default Chest holster

Advertise Here

I am wanting to get a cross chest carry. I have some shoulder holsters but want to go front....

I like the Kenai from what I have seen and read but am holding back on the 150 price tag.

I am looking for recommendations I would like to keep it simple it is not intended for concealed carry or frivolous accessory connections.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,651 Times in 8,167 Posts

You need to make it yourself if you want a good price. I would want a thumb break to keep the pistol in place. A extra magazine or a speedloader (cartrigde loops) on the strap would be good. If its a big gun then a wide area on the shoulder to distribute the weight is important.

Maybe a 2 shoulder rig and a tie to your belt instead of the mid belly strap.

Diamond D rig is what I would copy/modify.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster

This is the one I designed and made for my model 53 S&W Jet. Fully lined and the alice clips fit my pistol belt. I like that it fully protects my pistol. I could make a triangle piece and clip it in for a front chest carry. I cut the shoulder pattern leather from my favorite 1911 Safariland shoulder rig before I had to sell it and the pistol to pay some bills.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Oh make it myself.... I am a bailing wire and duct tape person. I had thought of taking one of my existing nylon holsters and see what I could rig up, but as I will be seen wearing it it needs to have some semblance of class.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:

Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,651 Times in 8,167 Posts

I have 3 Uncle Mike's nylon shoulder rigs for my 10 5/8" barrel 29's. I'm going to sew a left and right one together to make a brace carry and still have one for under the left arm for single carry.

The reason I made the Jet holster is it fell out of an Uncle Mike's hip holster twice. Might be $20 in leather, die, rivets, clips, glue and the stud in the Jet holster, prices 10 years or so ago. Some time to wet form and then glue, dye - maybe 5 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,110 Posts

For what kind gun? I have a Galco Kodiak that I use for my S&W 500. The are not cheap but they look nice and fit well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 AM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Right now the first in line is for a Beretta 92fs. That is why I liked the Kenai I could swap out the holster pretty simply and still keep the adjustments the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,551 Times in 1,110 Posts

These look ok and are under $100

https://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

https://www.arestactical.net/product...chest-holster/
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,465 Times in 584 Posts

I was going to get a Kenai for my .44mag, until my uncle heard about it. He is an old school "leather is better" kind of guy, and had built a nice chest rig for my dad. Being a man of larger carriage, I figured a custom rig would probably work better for me.

I wish I'd had him make me one years ago! Excellent for hiking, hunting, riding . . . you name it. If you have any leatherworking skills, or know someone who does, I say build your own. I'm going to have him help me build a rig for my 1911 next.

(my arms aren't long enough to get a better pic . . .)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chest rig.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	284510  
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,933 Times in 1,622 Posts

What I didnt like about my Kenai was that the Fastex buckle was too close to the grip of my gun. The kydex also tore the crap out of the zippers on my fleece jacket from movement.

Paradise Valley Leather chest rigs are what I ended up using and love them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6313__78718.1500237205.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	284512  
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,953 Times in 3,700 Posts

USGI M3/M7 "Tanker" chest holsters for the Beretta M9/M1911A1

https://pacificcanvasandleather.com/...58-rh-usmc-tan

https://www.gijoesmilitarysurplus.co...ducts_id=17643

https://epsaddlery.com/product-categ...hunting-field/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
What?

Thanked 10,148 Times in 4,161 Posts

I have a number of the El Paso "Tanker" holsters, for both revolvers and autos. Great holsters, a tad salty compared to the others, but well worth it.

I also have a PCAL Tanker, and the difference in quality is obvious when you compare them. Now their German flap holsters for other things seem to be a lot better made.

I also have an old Cathey Enterprises Tanker, and its pretty much on par with the El Paso holsters, but Ive only seen them for the 1911's, if they are even still making them. I got that back in the 80's.

Holster on the left is the Cathey, El Paso on the right....

PCAL on the left, El Paso , center and right.....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,041 Times in 509 Posts

I'm so fat that a chest holster would be like a hood ornament on a Cadillac it's there but you can't reach it.
Seriously though, when and where do you plan on carrying a pistol around on your chest? Are you gonna go to the grocery store and walk around with a chest rig on? Man the looks your going to get. Even though you may have the legal right to open carry your gun around today's Liberal butter cups are going to freak out if they see it. Your going to be harassed everywhere you go in public.
Not to be hard on you or anything but I think your going to regret the decision to carry like that. My vote says keep it discrete
The Following User Says Thank You to browningv308 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 04:28 PM
What?

Thanked 10,148 Times in 4,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
I'm so fat that a chest holster would be like a hood ornament on a Cadillac it's there but you can't reach it.
Seriously though, when and where do you plan on carrying a pistol around on your chest? Are you gonna go to the grocery store and walk around with a chest rig on? Man the looks your going to get. Even though you may have the legal right to open carry your gun around today's Liberal butter cups are going to freak out if they see it. Your going to be harassed everywhere you go in public.
Not to be hard on you or anything but I think your going to regret the decision to carry like that. My vote says keep it discrete
Different holsters, different uses.

I see and use the Tanker type holsters as field/utility holsters. They are great for keeping a gun handy with ammo along, for a grab and go type thing too.

I normally carry a Glock AIWB, but I dont take it off if I want something else along for another reason. These type holsters are very versatile there. Should I want my 4" 357 or 44Mag along too, its quickly thrown on, and out of the way of the Glock.

Lots of uses for them, but I agree, I wouldnt use one to walk around town with.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,355 Times in 18,395 Posts

Quote:
Around my property
On 2 or 4 wheels
Under a heavy coat. (We have very different body types.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 30,937 Times in 7,490 Posts

Check out the more versatile Hill People Gear chest pouch system. They are about $100 -$125 and you're not limited to just one gun. You could alternate between guns.

They have ultra small and light models for serious long-distance runners to carry a compact pistol for about $85. Then more substantial versions for around $125. These allow you to carry more stuff than just a gun - wallet, phone, reload, etc.

I'm going to be getting one soon for hiking and running. I was using a more concealable belly band for running but like the option of a chest rig for different uses.

Hill People Gear: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...1/ProductID/71
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,355 Times in 18,395 Posts

Be wanred:

Hill people gear is good kit, but their shipping 'department' (And then Customer service when they screw up your order) is absolute ****.

Too bad as I like em, but they will get $0 from me again.
(And I'll order from Botac)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,200 Times in 1,647 Posts

Simply Rugged Sourdough Chesty Puller
Diamond D is nice
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,610 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote:
Seriously though, when and where do you plan on carrying a pistol around on your chest? Are you gonna go to the grocery store and walk around with a chest rig on? My vote says keep it discrete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Around my property
On 2 or 4 wheels
Under a heavy coat. (We have very different body types.)
I typically use an HPG Kit Bag as it works for me, and just so happens to be concealed, but I'm not opposed to open carry for a chest rig for some situations. Adding to what Nomad highlighted, it's really an outdoors rig where open carry isn't an issue.

Kayaking/Canoeing, especially in swampy areas where you have to portage; it's nice to keep your handgun above your waist for traversing waist-deep waters yet it's still easily accessed when seated in a kayak/canoe.

Backpacking in bear country (in the Cohutta National Forest in GA, the bear population is significant; 8 out of 10 backpackers I run into are open-carrying).

Mountain biking in the same terrain as above. You're not going to "draw" from the mountain bike, but it keeps crap off your waist and increase mobility (same as backpacking, or even cross-country skiing), but it's much faster to access when you do need it.

Any other activity such as backpacking; bow hunting, checking trap-lines, fishing, etc.

The location is often best when integrated with a pack. It keeps your pistol handy, fast to access, doesn't interfere with a packs waistbelt/suspension system, and if a separate holster system, it stays on your person if you drop your pack or have to jettison (such as getting dumped from your canoe or kayak). I also like the location when crossing rivers that aren't too deep.

Debating open vs. concealed carry is a separate debate and highly dependent on location/local laws and activity. However, the location of chest-carry is perfectly suited to a whole host of outdoor activities.

ROCK6
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 08:40 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 28,962 Times in 9,539 Posts

Find a local saddle smith and work out a deal with him. Bartering can get you everywhere. I can build great computers for a fraction of the price. Trading services for computers has been a staple for me for years. I built a local guy a computer so I could get his half bales that were leftover from when he baled fields for people. I had a great stockpile of half-bales for the animals. I also have a neighbor that loved growing things, but hated half the veggies out there. He grews veggies I don't have in my garden, and I provided him eggs in trade.

Don't underestimate the power of bartering if you have a skill/service/product that others may want to have or use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,266 Posts

I use the 5.11 2 Banger Bag and wear it across my chest. Like the HPG bag you can use it for a lot of different pistols but it is half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Magazine.../dp/B00M1QT9XU

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post: