Ideas for discreet bags/ packs - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highly durable, waterproof Faraday bags with tested shielding effectiveness Dave_C Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 20 01-10-2018 02:47 PM
ALICE Pack Help Lt. Willy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 10-23-2017 09:01 AM
Germinating beans stored in mylar bags kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 03-10-2017 10:06 AM
Small air pocket in sealed Mylar bags brianf Food and water 3 02-05-2017 05:52 PM
Tactical packs, gun cases, range bags on sale @Field Supply from $9.99 ($3.99 S/H) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-09-2016 04:23 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 PM
MagnumWill's Avatar
MagnumWill MagnumWill is offline
Near The Glow
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 861
Thanks: 2,758
Thanked 1,658 Times in 544 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
A yoga mat bag looks low key, and would work without a mag inserted.
Speaking from someone who is married to a yoga instructor (and hence I do a lot of yoga as well), it would be VERY apparent you're not carrying a mat in the yoga bag. They aren't rigid at all, if they were it'd be impossible to get your mat back in it. My gray man look would have been a lot simpler if that worked. Personally the most I think you could get away with in that bag without drawing attention is a J-frame or an LCP.

Me? It IS pricey, but I went with an ESS Stealth Covert bag. I wanted something that looked Arcteryx-like, as i think ones that have really unattractive and muted colors (to me) look like they're trying too hard to conceal something.

Here's my ESS bag:



...and here it is with a 7.5" AR 9mm:



...plus its straps are WAY more comfortable than my other backpacks. I'll actually probably end up using it as my hiking pack as well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 AM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWill View Post
Speaking from someone who is married to a yoga instructor (and hence I do a lot of yoga as well), it would be VERY apparent you're not carrying a mat in the yoga bag. They aren't rigid at all, if they were it'd be impossible to get your mat back in it. My gray man look would have been a lot simpler if that worked. Personally the most I think you could get away with in that bag without drawing attention is a J-frame or an LCP.

Me? It IS pricey, but I went with an ESS Stealth Covert bag. I wanted something that looked Arcteryx-like, as i think ones that have really unattractive and muted colors (to me) look like they're trying too hard to conceal something.

Here's my ESS bag:



...and here it is with a 7.5" AR 9mm:



...plus its straps are WAY more comfortable than my other backpacks. I'll actually probably end up using it as my hiking pack as well.
That is nice, but too big for my project. Lookin for something smaller with just enough space for the pistol and a few spare mags.
11B
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 08:22 AM
EchoMirage's Avatar
EchoMirage EchoMirage is online now
HMFIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE VA
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 4,233
Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
This one is made by UTG (I think)....ETA: DIYA! Its right there on the front.

It too works well, and gives a few more options.




i have that UTG bag, but not sure if its the exact same length. mine fits a standard 16in AR with stock fully collapsed. its designed to be able to draw the rifle while wearing it, once you go through this really weird way to insert/velcro the gun, put the straps and pull tabs in the right place, etc.

#1. its very cheaply made. i never even used mine, and some stitching is already failing.

#2. there is NO WAY you can ever actually carry that thing with it absolutely screaming GUN IN HERE. no backpack is that size, or weird tombstone shape. even laying in a vehicle, its so oddly shaped, someone will question it.

ive thought about some kind of bag like the OP wants, but figured theres no real sense in it. i dont carry a backpack or sling bag or whatever with me 24/7. there are very, very few designs that can be worn and drawn from quickly. if you want access to a gun within a seconds notice, thats why you carry a pistol. if something happens that you need a rifle, or pistol length rifle, you can use your pistol till you get to a cover spot, then take it out of whatever bag its in.

what i would go with, had i the money to play with, would be a sub2000 with Beretta mags, folded in half and in a generic tennis racquet bag. the bag would be left in the truck, not carried.

i do currently have a 'discreet' rifle case, that fits a broken down AR, that i take with on longer trips. but it still 'looks' like a gun-type case. i also bought this bag in black years ago. it fits a pistol grip 500 very tightly, and now a shockwave easily:
https://countycomm.com/collections/b...-maratac-rev-3

more often than not, ill through that in the truck for camping/wheeling trips, or going to bad areas. when there were protests/near riots in norfolk 2yrs ago over the civil war statues.....that bag was in my truck every day.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 AM
AK103K AK103K is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,434
Thanks: 6,327
Thanked 10,659 Times in 4,333 Posts
Default

Quote:
#1. its very cheaply made. i never even used mine, and some stitching is already failing.

#2. there is NO WAY you can ever actually carry that thing with it absolutely screaming GUN IN HERE. no backpack is that size, or weird tombstone shape. even laying in a vehicle, its so oddly shaped, someone will question it.
Ive been using mine fairly regularly over the past couple of years now, and it seems to be holding up OK. I havent seen anything coming apart yet.

Im not constantly packing and unpacking it though, I leave it loaded, and just grab it and throw it in the car or truck. It doesnt get babied, and its constantly got a good bit of weight in it, but it hanst seen hard, drag around daily use either.

I think it looks a lot less like a gun bag than other things, but mine is the "short" version, so it is smaller than most things that carry guns. Maybe thats the difference.

As I said earlier, unless you knew what it was, it could easily pass for a snowshoe bag, instrument bag, or something similar.

Works well enough for what I want it for, and no one whos seen it, has ever questioned what it was or what was in it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Grasshopper2983 Grasshopper2983 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 42
Thanks: 19
Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I think others have touched on this suggestion, but it occurs to me that a good padded tennis racket case would do the trick. Likely long enough (assuming you break down any longer rifles/shotties), and the bulge to accommodate the racket is wide enough to handle optics etc.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 03:06 PM
EchoMirage's Avatar
EchoMirage EchoMirage is online now
HMFIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE VA
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 4,233
Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Ive been using mine fairly regularly over the past couple of years now, and it seems to be holding up OK. I havent seen anything coming apart yet.

Im not constantly packing and unpacking it though, I leave it loaded, and just grab it and throw it in the car or truck. It doesnt get babied, and its constantly got a good bit of weight in it, but it hanst seen hard, drag around daily use either.

I think it looks a lot less like a gun bag than other things, but mine is the "short" version, so it is smaller than most things that carry guns. Maybe thats the difference.

As I said earlier, unless you knew what it was, it could easily pass for a snowshoe bag, instrument bag, or something similar.

Works well enough for what I want it for, and no one whos seen it, has ever questioned what it was or what was in it.

ill see if i can upload a pick of where its failing. its typical UTG quality. some you get may last, some dont. i dont even think i put mine in the truck yet, and it started ripping. all its doing now is holding my spare AR. i brought it on maybe 2 trips, then decided screw it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
i have that UTG bag, but not sure if its the exact same length. mine fits a standard 16in AR with stock fully collapsed. its designed to be able to draw the rifle while wearing it, once you go through this really weird way to insert/velcro the gun, put the straps and pull tabs in the right place, etc.

#1. its very cheaply made. i never even used mine, and some stitching is already failing.

#2. there is NO WAY you can ever actually carry that thing with it absolutely screaming GUN IN HERE. no backpack is that size, or weird tombstone shape. even laying in a vehicle, its so oddly shaped, someone will question it.

ive thought about some kind of bag like the OP wants, but figured theres no real sense in it. i dont carry a backpack or sling bag or whatever with me 24/7. there are very, very few designs that can be worn and drawn from quickly. if you want access to a gun within a seconds notice, thats why you carry a pistol. if something happens that you need a rifle, or pistol length rifle, you can use your pistol till you get to a cover spot, then take it out of whatever bag its in.

what i would go with, had i the money to play with, would be a sub2000 with Beretta mags, folded in half and in a generic tennis racquet bag. the bag would be left in the truck, not carried.

i do currently have a 'discreet' rifle case, that fits a broken down AR, that i take with on longer trips. but it still 'looks' like a gun-type case. i also bought this bag in black years ago. it fits a pistol grip 500 very tightly, and now a shockwave easily:
https://countycomm.com/collections/b...-maratac-rev-3

more often than not, ill through that in the truck for camping/wheeling trips, or going to bad areas. when there were protests/near riots in norfolk 2yrs ago over the civil war statues.....that bag was in my truck every day.
I feel the same way about the UTG bag. It's " odd", out of ordinary shape makes it stand out in a crowd imo.

I forgot to mention earlier......but this concept will not be replacing the current CCW pistol. ( Ruger LCP. ).Not interested in other firearms unless they are chambered in 7.62x39mm and use AK mags. ( The idea behind this = a much more powerful package via intermediate cartridge as well as reliable 30rd mags and 40rd/ 75rd drums as options.

With that said, it will be carried often, so the bag must be able to stand up over time, be water resistant, and most important very discreet.

My current bag ( a prototype at this point) is still a work in progress. The bag itself allows the gun to just fit inside ( shockwave in folded position).

It is back pack style, and is not camo, OD green, coyote brown, or black. ( All the colors that draw attention.)

Here is what I have done with it so far......

1. It was sitting in the garage for who knows how long, so it got washed right off the bat.

2. After it dried out, I used Scotch Guard to give it better resistance to water.

3. The bottom of this bag is already reinforced, but decided to sew in a pre cut piece of heavy duty nylon ( from an old duffel bag) on the inside.) It holds a small piece of foam in place as a way to reduce any metallic " clank" from the muzzle if pack is dropped.
Did the same via back side of pack as well.
( Front side has another " pocket" , so it didnt need anything there.)

4. Took a few velcro straps and stitched them into place on the inside to secure the gun in place at 2 points with muzzle down as the priority.....however it can be secured muzzle up if chosen. ( Muzzle down has proven to be the better route so far.)

5. Currently trying out 2 spare mags in existing pouches on either side of pack.

6. The pack can also float with contents inside. ( A very easy trick that everyone here already knows about)

Note: Also trying out a mag clamp with this concept....but I never much cared for the additional weight. It is an idea, and the advantage here is that the spare doesn't need a pouch, is closer at hand to reload, and maintains it's balance while inside the pack.

Note: Currently trying out different employment methods. On one note that may be interesting.........the gun is very fast to get to for a second person ( Me and the wife typically travel together). After running thru a few drills, it takes very little time for one person to retrieve the gun from the pack while the other still has the pack on.

Example: Person " A" has the pack on, draws thier pistol and covers person " B", while he/ she draws the AK from person A' s pack while they still have it on.
Step 1: unfasten bag
Step2: unfasten velcro from gun
Step 3 : unfold shockwave brace....although it could be utilized with brace in folded position
Step4: Lock and load...and ready to fire. ( Safety left off).....or gun kept loaded with safety on.

A valid excuse for another AK pistol and pack maybe?

So far.....I haven't found a bag that one can quickly employ the gun inside it, AND is a very common looking piece. ( But I really haven't been looking that long for one either. ( The sling bag types seem to be the faster employment versions.....but that stems from my lack of 1st hand expietience with the whole concept, and this could be incorrect.)
As it sits as of today....the back packs can meet my gray man approach via discretion, packs dont interfere with how I carry the LCP, In my line of work...am very accustomed to carrying packs for long periods of time, packs better disperse the weight, and most important.....the gun is on my person in the event I need it.

The trade off at current time seems more than worth it.



11B
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
ill see if i can upload a pick of where its failing. its typical UTG quality. some you get may last, some dont. i dont even think i put mine in the truck yet, and it started ripping. all its doing now is holding my spare AR. i brought it on maybe 2 trips, then decided screw it.
Would it be worth the time to contact them and find out if they would replace that bag with another? It would be interesting to see if you just bought a " lemon", or if the 2nd bag has the same problems.

11B
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM
EchoMirage's Avatar
EchoMirage EchoMirage is online now
HMFIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE VA
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 4,233
Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts
Default

It's been so long, at least 3+ years since I bought it, I'm sure whatever warranty it may have had is long since done. I don't even remember who I ordered it from anyway.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I feel the same way about the UTG bag. It's " odd", out of ordinary shape makes it stand out in a crowd imo.

I forgot to mention earlier......but this concept will not be replacing the current CCW pistol. ( Ruger LCP. ).Not interested in other firearms unless they are chambered in 7.62x39mm and use AK mags. ( The idea behind this = a much more powerful package via intermediate cartridge as well as reliable 30rd mags and 40rd/ 75rd drums as options.

With that said, it will be carried often, so the bag must be able to stand up over time, be water resistant, and most important very discreet.

My current bag ( a prototype at this point) is still a work in progress. The bag itself allows the gun to just fit inside ( shockwave in folded position).

It is back pack style, and is not camo, OD green, coyote brown, or black. ( All the colors that draw attention.)

Here is what I have done with it so far......

1. It was sitting in the garage for who knows how long, so it got washed right off the bat.

2. After it dried out, I used Scotch Guard to give it better resistance to water.

3. The bottom of this bag is already reinforced, but decided to sew in a pre cut piece of heavy duty nylon ( from an old duffel bag) on the inside.) It holds a small piece of foam in place as a way to reduce any metallic " clank" from the muzzle if pack is dropped.
Did the same via back side of pack as well.
( Front side has another " pocket" , so it didnt need anything there.)

4. Took a few velcro straps and stitched them into place on the inside to secure the gun in place at 2 points with muzzle down as the priority.....however it can be secured muzzle up if chosen. ( Muzzle down has proven to be the better route so far.)

5. Currently trying out 2 spare mags in existing pouches on either side of pack.

6. The pack can also float with contents inside. ( A very easy trick that everyone here already knows about)

Note: Also trying out a mag clamp with this concept....but I never much cared for the additional weight. It is an idea, and the advantage here is that the spare doesn't need a pouch, is closer at hand to reload, and maintains it's balance while inside the pack.

Note: Currently trying out different employment methods. On one note that may be interesting.........the gun is very fast to get to for a second person ( Me and the wife typically travel together). After running thru a few drills, it takes very little time for one person to retrieve the gun from the pack while the other still has the pack on.

Example: Person " A" has the pack on, draws thier pistol and covers person " B", while he/ she draws the AK from person A' s pack while they still have it on.
Step 1: unfasten bag
Step2: unfasten velcro from gun
Step 3 : unfold shockwave brace....although it could be utilized with brace in folded position
Step4: Lock and load...and ready to fire. ( Safety left off).....or gun kept loaded with safety on.

A valid excuse for another AK pistol and pack maybe?

So far.....I haven't found a bag that one can quickly employ the gun inside it, AND is a very common looking piece. ( But I really haven't been looking that long for one either. ( The sling bag types seem to be the faster employment versions.....but that stems from my lack of 1st hand expietience with the whole concept, and this could be incorrect.)
As it sits as of today....the back packs can meet my gray man approach via discretion, packs dont interfere with how I carry the LCP, In my line of work...am very accustomed to carrying packs for long periods of time, packs better disperse the weight, and most important.....the gun is on my person in the event I need it.

The trade off at current time seems more than worth it.



11B
An update since the quote above.

I have been carrying this pistol concealed ( with permit) in this fashion around very public places, and no issues so far.

As of now, I would call it a successful method for discreet carry.

Currently running different drills on the best way to have pistol set up while inside the bag.

The latest is the following.......

This particular AK pistol has a notch cut into it's safety selector switch that holds the bolt open. Quick and easy to smack it downwards to release the bolt, in which that bolt slams forward and loads the first cartridge into chamber on its way there.

After putting that idea to the test...... I dropped it in favor of pistol locked and loaded with safety on.

As for the weapon itself...... I haven't tried to push it to failure quite yet. ( Not even close to what I have put AK rifles thru in the past, and especially what I have put one M14S rifle thru since it was built in 2003.)

Plan on taking it to a civie run course later this year. By then, I will have a few different bags for it, and plan to take a few sling bag types along for some direct feedback.

11B
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
It's been so long, at least 3+ years since I bought it, I'm sure whatever warranty it may have had is long since done. I don't even remember who I ordered it from anyway.
Is it worth the effort to repair it yourself?

11B
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 AM
EchoMirage's Avatar
EchoMirage EchoMirage is online now
HMFIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE VA
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 4,233
Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Is it worth the effort to repair it yourself?

11B

No. Like I said, there's no way you can ever carry this, or even have it seen just laying in a vehicle, and not have it scream "GUN IN HERE."

It's still usable; it's just another bag. It's holding my spare AR. The only way to carry any kind of AR type is either break it in half, or have it a pistol w/wo a pistol brace.

I think if I ever get around to it, I'd rather get a sub2000, probably with Beretta mags, and just use a tennis racket bag or similar.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 09:42 AM
ROCK6's Avatar
ROCK6 ROCK6 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia/Virginia
Posts: 5,665
Thanks: 6,394
Thanked 12,767 Times in 4,163 Posts
Default

I just measured AK pistol and it's 22" with brace folded, and it's 11" tall with optic and 20 round magazine. My son grabbed one of the Haley Strategic Discreet bags used, that is 24" long and 12" tall. It's about the best design I've seen and pretty discreet for what it is. The nicest feature is that the end of the bag can be unzipped and your pistol accessed for rapid deployment (I don't think they're made anymore):







I'm awaiting for a couple "less-expensive" discreet bags to show and see how they work...

My most discreet set up is as an older Blackhawk SMG-sized brief case that fits my SUB2000 perfectly. It's pretty fast to access, unfold and get into action...





I have a few much-less-expensive discreet bags on order to see how they work. I'm mostly looking for something to leave in the truck or just carry to and from work/training without drawing too much attention.

Again, I don't care for the price, but a messenger bag similar to the Grey Ghost Wanderer bag would work with some of my smaller pseudo SMG pistols:



ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Revmgt Revmgt is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South florida
Posts: 5,084
Thanks: 8,589
Thanked 13,875 Times in 3,735 Posts
Default

Go to your local guitar center and buy a padded nylon guitar case.
Has backpack straps, pockets for magazines and a pocket up top for ear pro
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 11:39 AM
AK103K AK103K is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,434
Thanks: 6,327
Thanked 10,659 Times in 4,333 Posts
Default

One thing thats always bugged me about most of the rifle (or pistol for that matter) carry bags is, they usually have a bunch of mag pockets on/in them, but they dont usually come off the bag.

Why dont they set them up with a strap/belt and some velcro or something, so you pull the whole thing off the bag, and can actually carry the mags in some sort of realistic fashion if you need to?

All of my bags get a chest bag of some sort, with rifle mags, and usually a handgun, with a holster, and a couple of handgun mags to boot, just for that reason.

The mag pouches on the bag are about worthless unless youre wearing clothes with a lot of big, strong pockets.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Palma's Avatar
Palma Palma is offline
Plays best, alone
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland The Free State it aint
Posts: 4,698
Thanks: 3,947
Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,395 Posts
Default

Lacrosse gear bag.

https://www.lax.com/lacrosse-equipme...-equipment-bag
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
One thing thats always bugged me about most of the rifle (or pistol for that matter) carry bags is, they usually have a bunch of mag pockets on/in them, but they dont usually come off the bag.

Why dont they set them up with a strap/belt and some velcro or something, so you pull the whole thing off the bag, and can actually carry the mags in some sort of realistic fashion if you need to?

All of my bags get a chest bag of some sort, with rifle mags, and usually a handgun, with a holster, and a couple of handgun mags to boot, just for that reason.

The mag pouches on the bag are about worthless unless youre wearing clothes with a lot of big, strong pockets.
I was thinking the same thing after you posted photos in post #3 of this thread. ( Utilize the bag as a sort of " get home" bag with a chest rig ready to go inside it) After the discreet part of the equation is no longer a issue.

After looking at quite a few designs as of late.....thier are a number of them that feature molle loops ( for molle pouches), and a whole bunch with velcro, which is cheap and easy to sew in myself anywhere in or on the bag.

One solution I am evaluating now is a fairly simple one. 2 single ( 30rd AK) molle pouches set up inside the bag, and are also easy to pull out and attach to existing belt, or keep belt inside of bag.

The good news: Cheap and easy ( already had them via WASR10 folding stock), no need for a " bag specific set up" AND another that can be worn, which saves on space and weight.

The not so good news: Pouches get pulled, then attached to existing belt...unless the belt planned to haul them is set up inside bag.... so it takes a bit more time vs an existing system.

Loaded metal 30rd AK mags = 1.5 lbs each. ( KCI 30rd loaded mags weigh a bit less, but haven't gotten around to weigh them as yet.) The existing belt without suspenders makes a 2 mag system viable ( 60 rds total) , but another 60 rds added is not.

Note: One 75rd drum in weapon with 60 rds via two 30rd mags = 135 rds at the ready, but AK drums have a disadvantage via noise.

Note: I will never use polymer ( plastic) AK mags again. Even the types with metal tabs wear out, and they aren't any lighter than the KCI mags, which have proven to be just as reliable as Chico/ EU metal mags.

Note: A chest rig I have used often holds six 30 rd mags, but can hold additional mags, too include 2 75rd drums. Long story short, it takes up too much space adds too much weight, and not a high priority for the intended purpose of discreet carry.

Another idea involves placing mag pouches on the inside of a decent jacket or coat. ( My prototype for this experiment is an M65 field jacket. Much more discreet vs a chest rig, but stands out like a sore thumb on a typical summer day in TX or FL for example. With that said, my chest rig or any LBE really sticks out in a crowd...shorted and flip flops regardless....lol.

Note: A work in progress, but a vest the wife fabricated holds 2 30rd AK mags very comfortably, and concealed. About the total opposite from one 9f those 511 vests that are a dead giveaway to anyone wearing them in public.

I also seen quite a few of these pre made specific bags for AK and AR pistols designed to carry sidearms in them too. Personally, that is a worthless feature for a side arm, as it should be carried on one's person. The bag's purpose is to haul around an AK pistol, so that is what would be pulled out of it. Worst case......if separated from that bag for whatever reason, one would still have a concealed sidearm that is much faster to deploy whilst carried on your person vs a bag.

Anyways........ In new to the discreet carry thing with pistols chambered in intermediate rifle cartridges.....lol.

Photos below show 2 sidearms alongside the AK.

Note: the revolver was replaced as a carry tool by the Glock 19.......which is now replaced by the Kel tech P32....( big disappointment btw).......so now that was replaced by the other pistol in pics. ( Very easy to conceal via a hot summer day when blending into the urban environment is an important asset.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162152.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	287162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162214.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	287164   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162231.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	287166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_162250.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	287168  
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM
fragout's Avatar
fragout fragout is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,944
Thanks: 5,089
Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmgt View Post
Go to your local guitar center and buy a padded nylon guitar case.
Has backpack straps, pockets for magazines and a pocket up top for ear pro
Already did just that. M14 ( with 20rd mag inserted) in below pic fits just dandy inside, doesn't " print", and also works with mounted optics too boot.

Note: I could almost stick that LBE inside the same pack in photo, which can hold up to 240 rds.....but have a much better / more discreet option for that endeavor.

2nd pic shows the same M14 next to the AK pistol. While the guitar case works ok for a full on 7.62x51mm rifle, it is a tad too big for what's needed in the case of the 7.62x39mm pistol. Im not a civilian yet, but my gut tells me that a bag of sorts would be a better way for discreet carry, and going into places where a guitar case looks out of place.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	287170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_150138.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	287172  
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 AM
EchoMirage's Avatar
EchoMirage EchoMirage is online now
HMFIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE VA
Posts: 1,027
Thanks: 4,233
Thanked 1,746 Times in 643 Posts
Default

If you want to carry mags while somewhat blending in, why not a separate bag. These aren't cheap, but US and hand made, and they have lots of options:

http://www.hawkepaks.com/level.itml/icOid/221

I'm not spending any additional money for my own setup, but if I was, I'd look into something like the ITOA, or mini mag cache, as solely a mag holder. You can get the bigger bags for both ammo and other gear.

Somehow or another I wound up with their micro gunpak 2. Found it on sale somewhere real cheap, so I bought it. Never used it for anything, but the quality is outstanding. Thick, durable nylon, very heavy duty zippers; if that one bag is indicative of their overall quality, then they are leaders of well made bags. Better than anything 511 or voodoo. I do believe one of their bags has been officially issued to the mil/NATO.

After all these posts I don't even remember what setup you're looking to make.....but if I was carrying my travel AR in it's 'discreet' bag in my truck, and some kind of SHTF and I actually needed a rifle, then I would have the ITOA or mini mag cache stuffed with rifle/pistol mags.

Additionally, you can get any kind of shoulder or sling bag, or one of the hawke's bigger bags, and carry both ammo and other gear without looking too tactical. Hawke's bags can look like heavy duty laptop bags.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 08:16 AM
[_]ni/\/\og's Avatar
[_]ni/\/\og [_]ni/\/\og is offline
Amat victoria curam
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tennessee/Ft Campbell
Age: 42
Posts: 1,212
Thanks: 378
Thanked 2,191 Times in 830 Posts
Default

I've got the AUG in a red / white, tennis racket bag I purchased from Academy sports. It fits well and has 4 , 42 round magazines with it. No complaints so far.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net