Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highly durable, waterproof Faraday bags with tested shielding effectiveness Dave_C Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 20 01-10-2018 02:47 PM
ALICE Pack Help Lt. Willy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 10-23-2017 09:01 AM
Germinating beans stored in mylar bags kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 03-10-2017 10:06 AM
Small air pocket in sealed Mylar bags brianf Food and water 3 02-05-2017 05:52 PM
Tactical packs, gun cases, range bags on sale @Field Supply from $9.99 ($3.99 S/H) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-09-2016 04:23 PM

Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,324 Times in 3,811 Posts

Advertise Here

Most discrete rifle caliber pistol case I've read about lately is a yoga mat bag.
Can even wrap the gun in 1 layer of yoga mat.

Example:

When I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, I used a padded Gig Bag (electric guitar bag) for transporting rifles.

Example:

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 01:30 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 21,458 Times in 8,108 Posts

I think at the top of the bag, one on top of each other. Each in a lightly padded pouch and secured on both ends with a Velcro tab.

That way they stay in the pack unless you pull the zipper all the way up. With 2 zippers you could draw the weapon and mags from either side. Or your partner can draw from either side too.

One of the snipers from the Nam carried 80 rounds for his rifle, instead of a pistol he had a grease gun and 2-3 full sticks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,452 Times in 579 Posts

Classic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:

Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 32,472 Times in 8,465 Posts

I find a Dell Laptop Computer Bag works perfectly for an SMG UZI with a 32 rd mag in the well and it has the “ DELL” medallion on the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50880DF7-9215-4081-B610-0E06B3AE3951.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	284440  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulKersey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,064 Times in 2,546 Posts

I recently started using a Krosser 18.5 inch laptop briefcase. Seems plenty durable, expandable, comfortable strap, padding in the back so sharp corners don't jab you, good zippers, will fit a folded AK or Galil with an 8.3 inch barrel and 30 round mag inserted and was around $40 on Amazon. I happen to be waiting for someone to go to the range so my mag was already out for some pictures.

Not sure you can find a bag like this quite large enough for your AKs. Have you considered a camera or gym bag? I kept mine in a cheap Adidas bag for a while. You can get pretty much any sizw you need. Foldable, rigid, padded and so on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190305_075259_1551801319328.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	284442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_075324_1551801349784.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	284444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_075427_1551801369001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	284446   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_075504_1551801431589.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	284448  
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 06:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Most discrete rifle caliber pistol case I've read about lately is a yoga mat bag.
Can even wrap the gun in 1 layer of yoga mat.

Example:

When I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, I used a padded Gig Bag (electric guitar bag) for transporting rifles.

Example:

A yoga mat bag looks low key, and would work without a mag inserted.

The guitar cases work well, and use them for long guns often.( Both long guns in pic below fit well inside them.)

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171112_102914.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	284468  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6Niner View Post
I recently started using a Krosser 18.5 inch laptop briefcase. Seems plenty durable, expandable, comfortable strap, padding in the back so sharp corners don't jab you, good zippers, will fit a folded AK or Galil with an 8.3 inch barrel and 30 round mag inserted and was around $40 on Amazon. I happen to be waiting for someone to go to the range so my mag was already out for some pictures.

Not sure you can find a bag like this quite large enough for your AKs. Have you considered a camera or gym bag? I kept mine in a cheap Adidas bag for a while. You can get pretty much any sizw you need. Foldable, rigid, padded and so on.
The pics you posted really show it in detail. I think your right, as mine would not fit inside that bag. ( The C39 pistol folded will be right at 21-22 inches in length.)

From your pics, it appears that the Galil Ace receiver is also shorter in length compared to the AK.

Yes. I am looking into gym bags as well, but had not thought of camera bags. ( Didn't think camera bags would be big enough.)

11B
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,619 Times in 619 Posts

I picked up a baseball/softball gear bag from a kid at a yard sale for $5, fits my needs well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:31 AM
What?

Thanked 10,100 Times in 4,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
I picked up a baseball/softball gear bag from a kid at a yard sale for $5, fits my needs well.
I have one of these as well, and they work well, even with full stocked AK's. You can also carry a bunch of other stuff in them too. They also offer better support for the gun, as they were meant to carry some weight. They get real heavy, real quick when you start loading it up with "gun stuff" though.

Like the tennis racket cases, they work well for open, discreet carry in your car or truck. You dont usually see someone walking around town with one though.

Yoga bags look good in the pics, especially if youre going to Yoga class. In reality, they are meant to carry a 1 pound mat, and not 6-10 pounds of guns and gear. I looked at them when I got my Shockwave, and when I saw them in person, I realized instantly, it wasnt going to work for what I wanted. Think of putting your gun and gear into a nylon tent bag. It might "hide" the gun, but thats about it.

Keep in mind too, while it may not look like a gun case, a lot of these types of alternate bags carry things people still like to steal.

I still think for year round, and in pretty much any venue, a decent day/backpack is going to be your best bet. They fit in pretty much anywhere in the social strata, and arent limited to seasons, or specific places/uses, and you see people carrying them in Charhartts to suits. They are usually also meant to carry the weight and hold up to it reasonably well, if you get a good one.

The hardest part (and its not that hard) is going to be getting set up to work for you, if its not made to carry guns.

The one bag I use the most for this purpose these days is the UTG. I keep an AR pistol with a brace in it, along with a chest bag of mags, which also carries a Glock and a few small accessories. I usually only use it if Im going anywhere over an hour or so away from home, and just throw it in the car or truck when I go. Otherwise, it just sits in the pantry, ready to go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Looking for ideas concerning discreet carry of a specific AK pistol and a few magazines.

The pistol in question:

It's a modified C39V2 shockwave blade arm brace.

Note: The current zeta up puts OAL at 26 inches, but plan to get a folder adapter.....so OAL would be around 20 to 21 inches.

Havent dove into it all that much ad yet, but found a pack that was interesting up until I saw it's 400 dollar plus price tag.

No friken way I would spend that much for what it is.

Looking at a price cap of 50 bucks or less.

Packs, gym bags, ......along those lines with a Common urban look to them.

Nothing GI Joe, ...ie. ....camo, military crap, or any logos on bag that have the words assault or tactical in them.

Any " home made" ideas would be interesting.

Pics would also help.

Pic below: Boomstick at top is what we need " in the bag", but a plus if the same bag would handle either. ( Click photo to make it bigger)

Any ideas?

11B
JMO - Having played slow pitch softball for years, why not use a bat bag? They are roomy enough to hold your weapon, extra gear & magazines. And they will not advertise the fact they are "tactical" gear a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vile Papist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 10,558 Times in 4,280 Posts

Any bag be it for a sport, music or what have you is going to look out of place unless the person carrying it looks the part.

While most people are oblivious to their surroundings one of us or a cop seeing an overweight guy in work boots, jeans and a safari vest carrying a yoga bag isnít going to be fooling anyone who is looking.

Same goes for a tennis bag in the back seat of a lifted Dodge diesel.

ďDiscreetĒ bags are only discreet to people not paying attention.
I donít worry about those people anyway, itís those that are paying attention, those that arenít going to be fooled that are my concern.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile Papist View Post
JMO - Having played slow pitch softball for years, why not use a bat bag? They are roomy enough to hold your weapon, extra gear & magazines. And they will not advertise the fact they are "tactical" gear a bit.
The bat bag idea might work fine as another means to transport a 39/ 40 inch long rifle.
Looking at smaller bags for the AK pistol.

Something like the size in pic below.

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2J84Uyp.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	284578  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I have one of these as well, and they work well, even with full stocked AK's. You can also carry a bunch of other stuff in them too. They also offer better support for the gun, as they were meant to carry some weight. They get real heavy, real quick when you start loading it up with "gun stuff" though.

Like the tennis racket cases, they work well for open, discreet carry in your car or truck. You dont usually see someone walking around town with one though.

Yoga bags look good in the pics, especially if youre going to Yoga class. In reality, they are meant to carry a 1 pound mat, and not 6-10 pounds of guns and gear. I looked at them when I got my Shockwave, and when I saw them in person, I realized instantly, it wasnt going to work for what I wanted. Think of putting your gun and gear into a nylon tent bag. It might "hide" the gun, but thats about it.

Keep in mind too, while it may not look like a gun case, a lot of these types of alternate bags carry things people still like to steal.

I still think for year round, and in pretty much any venue, a decent day/backpack is going to be your best bet. They fit in pretty much anywhere in the social strata, and arent limited to seasons, or specific places/uses, and you see people carrying them in Charhartts to suits. They are usually also meant to carry the weight and hold up to it reasonably well, if you get a good one.

The hardest part (and its not that hard) is going to be getting set up to work for you, if its not made to carry guns.

The one bag I use the most for this purpose these days is the UTG. I keep an AR pistol with a brace in it, along with a chest bag of mags, which also carries a Glock and a few small accessories. I usually only use it if Im going anywhere over an hour or so away from home, and just throw it in the car or truck when I go. Otherwise, it just sits in the pantry, ready to go.
Looking into the UTG bag currently. They are affordable at 40 bucks, and would be big enough to carry either AK.

Im not all that keen to thier shape however. They dont resemble a more common looking bag in my mind, and would seem to stick out in a crowd for those that are familiar with them.....and possibly the more " observant ". ( Speculation at this point, and more of a question)

BTW........

C39V2 pistol weighs around 6.5 lbs empty.
A EU 30rd loaded AK mag is right at 1.5 lbs. ( KCI 30rd mags are around 1.2 lbs or so.)

Currently working up another prototype bag that the wife dug out of the garage a few days ago. I couldn't find anything on it as to who made it, and the bag itself is a back pack style made out of canvas. ( Easy to dye it any color I want)

The bag is just big enough to accept the pistol with inserted 30rd mag, and hold 2 spare mags . ( Not my minimum number initially, but it does resemble a very discreet package)

Also found another bag at a pawn shop. ( The guy at the shop called it a " messenger bag)

It is a single strap bag that resembles an over sized " purse" .....for lack of a better term. Butt ugly rainbow zigzag pattern that would put leopard skin to shame...lol. Also made out of canvas.
What the heck. 5 bucks out the door, and he tossed in a very beat up golf club bag ( thing)to go with it.

11B
Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Remove Kebab

You are most likely right about the bag I use being too short for your AK. That's what I was afraid of but since you are interested in this concept I didn't want to pass up the chance to share what I have found. A friend of mine that plays guitar uses a soft guitar case with a shoulder strap for his AR. They are sleek, have multiple pockets, padded and don't draw any attention. I don't remember the exact one but it looked a lot like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guit...SIN=B01GNJWHKW
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM
What?

Thanked 10,100 Times in 4,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Looking into the UTG bag currently.
Yea, if you know what they are, you know what they are. No way around that.

They are different enough to not really look like other "decreet" gun bags though. Especially if you stay away from the black, and go with the grey or blue colors.

Ive thought about taking the UTG patch off and putting a velcro tab on mine, and use some other brand name patches that might be more appropriate for a need. As an example, the bag kind of looks like it could be a snowshoe bag, so for winter, it might be snowshoes, if the venue warrants. Super duper pool cue bag, etc. Something like that.

It would be really nice if one or two of the bigger companies would just take one of their "normal", run of the mill bags, and convert it, or at least a portion/section of it for this purpose. That way, theres no real way to tell, even if its sold in the gun mags, online etc, and you were looking for it. The plain old bags people normally use, would look exactly the same.

Come up with a removable, padded insert doing just that for some of the better brand name bags, and you might have a nice little side business.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Check the dimensions of your weapon to a ukulele bag. I know they fit a Tac-14 with a folding brace.

I use a can cooler bag for mine like this one, but I still have the birds head.
https://www.ebay.com/i/233116757006?chn=ps

I have 3 of them now since I keep finding them at the Goodwill for like 5 bucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Here is a web pic. They can be found padded or not. They are also hardly ever expensive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UKE-BAG-3__43285.1518046982.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	284594  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Secure

Milwaukee 23" canvas tool bag would look more natural on a lot of us, than a yoga mat or tennis racquet or ukulele case. If someone saw me with a guitar case, once they stopped laughing, they'd ask, No really, whats in the case?

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-23x...170921&sr=1-24
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heldfast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Remove Kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Any bag be it for a sport, music or what have you is going to look out of place unless the person carrying it looks the part.

While most people are oblivious to their surroundings one of us or a cop seeing an overweight guy in work boots, jeans and a safari vest carrying a yoga bag isn’t going to be fooling anyone who is looking.

Same goes for a tennis bag in the back seat of a lifted Dodge diesel.

“Discreet” bags are only discreet to people not paying attention.
I don’t worry about those people anyway, it’s those that are paying attention, those that aren’t going to be fooled that are my concern.
That's one of the pivital comsoderations. I chose my laptop bag because when I'm not in leather workboots, worn Carhartts and my signature red USMC hoody I wear to work I am in clean dark jeans, Perry Ellis tennis shoes and button down shirts. My laptop bag looks perfectly natural with that. A tool bag would be suspicious. In my worl clothes it would look normal. Gym bags have the advantage of being faily universal with one major flaw in many of them, they are not very rigid and betray their contents easily.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,190 Times in 18,349 Posts

Frag:

Guy had a red rock (that's the brand) single strap backpack that would be PERFECT for an AK "pistol" or krink.

Thought about you when I saw it and he let me check it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: