Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January 24th - Minnesota Gun Owners Lobby Day Batko10 Political News and Discussion 3 01-01-2019 11:26 AM
We have to do something about gun violence!!! deprogramming services Firearms General Discussion 65 12-20-2018 10:52 PM
Kalifornia Democrat You Will Surrender Your Guns Or We Could Nuke You Gulcher General Discussion 68 11-27-2018 11:57 AM
Illinois Counties Form Sanctuaries for Gun Owners to Thwart Gun Control Batko10 General Discussion 12 05-08-2018 06:34 PM
FOR THOSe who think a lever gun is a disadvantage NW GUY Rifle Forum 27 04-14-2018 12:50 AM

Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Just placed the order for the Henry 16.5" carbine from Buds! Will let y'all know how I like it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,639 Times in 3,755 Posts

From what I understand Henry makes a good lever action rifle. I got into 357 lever action rifles when Marlin was still Marlin and not a subsidiary of Remington. As I understand it the quality of the Remlins has gotten better. I'll hang onto my old JM Marlins just the same. If I were to get another it would be a Henry. Congrats and enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

I bet you like that rifle. My Marlin 357 lever is my favorite of all the guns I own. I would feel well armed with just the 357 lever and a single shot 20ga shotgun.

If you look at ballistic charts you will see that the 357 from a rifle has the same striking power at 150 yards as a 6" revolver does at the muzzle with modern loaded ammo. Does that make the rifle a 150 yard gun? No, not really. The sights are one limiting factor. The trajectory is another. Like most I feel the 357 rifle is at its best at 100 yards or less.

I have killed around 30 deer and two elk. All at 80 yards or less except one deer I shot at 250 yards. I could have used a 357 lever to have made everyone of those kills if thats what I had chose to use. I could hunt the rest of my life with my little lever action and never miss a bigger gun. Learn to be a hunter and its all you will need.

Ross Seyfried wrote an article about mid bore BP rifles and used a 36 caliber rifle firing a 160gr lead bullet at 1600 FPS to kill a cow elk at 70 yards. Those are the exact ballistics of the 357 lever action. And the 357 can be loaded a little hotter if you are careful with your loading. I have loaded 158gr bullets to over 1800 fps and did it with book loads. But its not needed. Normal loads will do all you want with that gun.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Survivor

I do like my Marlin 1894, it has a tapered octagon barrel and holds 10 rounds of 357 in the magazine, nice. The folks at Marlin took a bit of extra time to make sure the action was smooth right out of the box, old world craftsmanship. It IS one of my favorites.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
I bet you like that rifle. My Marlin 357 lever is my favorite of all the guns I own. I would feel well armed with just the 357 lever and a single shot 20ga shotgun.

If you look at ballistic charts you will see that the 357 from a rifle has the same striking power at 150 yards as a 6" revolver does at the muzzle with modern loaded ammo. Does that make the rifle a 150 yard gun? No, not really. The sights are one limiting factor. The trajectory is another. Like most I feel the 357 rifle is at its best at 100 yards or less.

I have killed around 30 deer and two elk. All at 80 yards or less except one deer I shot at 250 yards. I could have used a 357 lever to have made everyone of those kills if thats what I had chose to use. I could hunt the rest of my life with my little lever action and never miss a bigger gun. Learn to be a hunter and its all you will need.

Ross Seyfried wrote an article about mid bore BP rifles and used a 36 caliber rifle firing a 160gr lead bullet at 1600 FPS to kill a cow elk at 70 yards. Those are the exact ballistics of the 357 lever action. And the 357 can be loaded a little hooter if you are careful with your loading. I have loaded 158gr bullets to over 1800 fps and did it with book loads. But its not needed. Normal loads will do all you want with that gun.
I like my 357s. My favorite round. I have a .36 BP rifle. I have a mould for a 160 gr hollow base round nose projectile. It shoots very well. I put 50 grains of pyrodex under it. I purchased some HBWCs but have not shot them. I hunted deer for several years with a TC with a 21" 357 max barrel on it. My 94 shoots cast gas checked 158 gr SWC very well. If you don't reload, you should start. A 357 rifle is a great platform to learn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,196 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
Hey all,
I'm considering investing in a .38/.357 lever gun, (got my eye on the Henry H012MR, 16.5" barrel). I'm more of a plinker than a hunter, but I wanted to know... if SHTF or Zombie apocalypse happened what kind of game in FL could I expect to take with that caliber rifle?

The reason I'm looking at the caliber is because I own a couple of Model 10's and have the ammo. I also have a .22lr in pistol and Henry rifle (which I love).

I have shot .357 magnum before out of a Ruger 5" and while recoil was manageable, even with double earplugs in, my ears were ringing for days. I cleared out the stalls next to me at the outdoor range when I started shooting. So, yeah, I don't want to experience that kind of pain in my ears again.

So unless the .357 in a lever is quieter than a revolver, I will be primarily shooting .38's and +P's.

I'm shooting half-dollar shots with the .22lr rifle at 50 yards. My model 10 is shooting the target hanger at 50 (not the target) which is about a man-sized torso.

But back to my main question, what kind of game in FL and how far out can I expect to take an animal if I need to with a .38+P in a rifle?
Here is another idea for you, and what I would suggest based off your post quoted above...........

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...model-1894-cst

1. Humid areas and a state surrounded by salt water on 3 sides means a stainless steel lever gun wouldn't be all that bad. ( Keep levers out of that white beach sand)

2. A threaded muzzle means you can add a can for more " quiet" shooting.

3. As Peter stated, 75-100 yards = a more consistent/ reliable / efficient maximum effective hunting distance for a drt stop on any/ all critters in Florida using 38spl........ Provided the right bullets are chosen .

Note: I hunt year around, have hunted often with 38spl via a rifle and revolver, and hunt often in Florida. The FL swamp rat in pic below ( Yankees call um deer...lol) taken inside of 35 feet using another 30cal rifle.

With that said.......38spl and 357mag have thier limitations, and neither is what any experienced hunter would call " optimum."
Example: I have quite a bit of data accumulated with the chrono using 38spl +P loads fired thru rifles. Velocity and energy put it on par with 357mag 180gr loads fired through a 6 inch tube revolver.....which are both neck and neck with 308 185gr subsonic loads fired thru a rifle. ( Both rifles sport 18in tubes btw. )

A good hunter won't have to track down any game after he learns how to shoot straight while in the field and get it done with one shot. ( Even more important after the shtf)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	308 head shot deer.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	282228  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Prepared

What grain and type of bullet should I be looking to stock for game? FMJ, HP, SJFP...etc. ?
I'll be grabbing some .357's, .38 +P's, and regular .38 special.

I gotta tell ya, y'all are an awesome wealth of information. And I sure do appreciate your experience in the field.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,021 Posts

I have 125 gr JHP for social work. For hunting I used to carry 158 cast swc. Now that we are not allowed to use lead, I use a Barnes projectile. I may use Hornady lead free if I can find some. If your rifle does not feed the swc you may wish to go to a jacketed 158 gr soft point. I would not recommend a FMJ for anything but target practice. HP for small game but you want penetration on larger game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Remington scalloped jacketed bullets are one of my favorite bullets to reload.

The reason I like Remington bullets is they have an ogive to them that feeds reliably, more so than a Keith style SWC, which may or may not catch the bullet step/shoulder on its way into the chamber.

Truncated bullets, such as made by Hornady feed reliably although more expensive than the Remington's they are another excellent choice.

I have shot WC's in a lever action, WC's have a shorter OAL and a flat bullet profile so they are prone to hanging up. I single load them rather than try to cycle them through the action.

I cast a number of different bullets in .357 and one of my favorites is the 158gr RNFP with a beveled base. Although they drop from the molds actually weighing 168gr.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Author of Hitwoman

Thanked 3,716 Times in 2,049 Posts

When it come to jacketed, I like Remington soft points best for hunting. Soft enough to open, and the jacket thick enough to hold together. I rarely suggest lead because I've cast my own for about the last 48 years or thereabouts and can't imagine using any others. Commercially cast bullets are made for the average bore and are usually as hard as they can made them, or swaged pure lead.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 44 Flattop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Survivor

I like the Remington 158 & 180gr JSP for game where penetration is a factor. Although the JHP's are no slouch when it come to performance. At carbine velocities the JHC's definitely expand. JHP's provide less penetration and greater expansion, While JSP's provide greater penetration and less expansion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,320 Times in 8,796 Posts

I carried a lever action saddle carbine in a police car for over a year. They're handy and have a good all-round work capability to them. They can drop deer, pigs and are useful when hunting really bad guys. I liked mine so much that I went to a bigger bore, .44 magnum, lever action carbine. People used to hunt smaller brown bears with the .44 magnum lever action saddle carbines. I still keep the .44 magnum around the house for general short range work and "just in case situations."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Certified Gun Nut

Thumbs up

I LOVE LAīs.

So I own several.

I would REALLY recommend you a Rossi 92, with a ROUND Barrel, in 16 or 20".

Take the one ( new ones ) with the safety - aside from purism, itīs really practical.

Make sure the gun cycles .357 AND 38īs .. if it only cycles .357s, no biggie, but donīt take much 38 along ( for a first shot 38 might be singly loaded, e.g. shot shells or WC rounds )

Lube the gun well, and relube after a lot of cycling. With a light grease.

The mainspring will set off each and any primer! For sure!

I personally, with elderly eyes, donīt care much for the factory sights.

On my 16" SS Rossi 92 with large loop lever, which was reworked to cycle both 38īs and 357īs, I have a BROAD and LARGE Millett red ramp sight. A fire dot sight might also usable. The rear sight is to be cut out, the notch cut from "U" to "square notch" and widened. This rifle is for quick and close.

( and for doing the "John Wayne" )

On my SS 20" Rossi 92 I performed a sacrilege!

I added a no drill not tap Picatinny rail. Mounted to some side screw and fit into the back sight dovetail. It even has an emergency sight notch. ( with a Marbleīs blade )

I use an Aimpoint Micro on it: undestructible, 5 m waterproved, 3 years battery life and 2032 batteries are cheap and easily carried. If I would slay an enemy with it, I would worry about the mag tube, but not for the Aimpoint.

Of course you could use a scout joke … ahem, I mean scout scope.

I would be more worried about 2 legged varmints, than 4 legged ones.

I would use rather 158 grs JHPs, than 125īs.

My Browning 92 in .44 Mag stays, as it is: NIB, hardly ever tenderly shot, NEVER carried! Now THATīs Quality! Miroku canīt be beat!

Have FUN!

Hermann
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arminius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Certified Gun Nut

I forgot:

Forget about a ī66 or ī73 or Henry: the ī92 with round bbl is MUCH lighter weight!

Hermann
The Following User Says Thank You to Arminius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,396 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I have an older Rossi Model 92 in 357.
To your question, in FL, anything can be killed with a 357 carbine. Two legs, four legs, whatever. A big black bear might take more than one shot, but I think you can take one of the Herpes monkeys in Ocala with one shot... if you can hit it.

The Henry is nice, but I'm off of the Henry's due to no loading gate. Having to unscrew the magazine end and load that way seems inefficient to me. YMMV, of course.

Whichever one you get, enjoy it. It's a very versatile platform, and with mild 38's makes a great learning gun for kids and smaller women.
Load it with some stout magnums (Buffalo Bore makes some great ones) and you have a very useful hunting/SD gun.
Same here. I have a Henry as well and do not like the loading configuration. Very inefficient for my taste. But other than that it is a well made firearm and accurate enough to hit consistent groups for what you will need for deer size game. I want to use it on squirrel hopefully soon using 38 spl. Still researching the most effective load. Not the go too for squirrel, but want to test it out for myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabotage39k For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
What grain and type of bullet should I be looking to stock for game? FMJ, HP, SJFP...etc. ?

I gotta tell ya, y'all are an awesome wealth of information. And I sure do appreciate your experience in the field.
Look for heavier weight bullets for the .357. You'll have more use for the heavier ones for everything. Out of a carbine length barrel you will have quite a bit more velocity, so a tough, heavier bullet is a definite boon.

Good soft point 170 gr. would probably be my first choice, or cast bullets. Or Hornady 180 gr. XTP bullets. I've used the 158 gr. out of a pistol, and they are pretty tough, and suitable for hunting.

Though they have a small hollow point, they are not as fragile and explosive as other HP bullets.

You will find the 16.5 a little noisy, likely. At least without hearing protection.

I have a .44 magnum with a 20" barrel, and full power loads are noisy but not too bad. With mid power .44 Spl. +P+ type loads somewhere inbetween magnum and Special power, the .44 is about as loud as a .22 LR. Out of a 12" barrel, it's still really loud.

If you are really sensitive to noise and anticipate using it without plugs, I'd see if you can change your order to a 20" barrel gun.

You will really enjoy the Henry.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Secure

Cast and roll your own ammo - like a subsonic 158 swc from a long barrel. Quiet, accurate, deadly. My Rossis don't feed the soupcans well, but RN and SWC work great, and the tire shop I got my lead from was happy to not pay the disposal fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to heldfast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
Same here. I have a Henry as well and do not like the loading configuration. Very inefficient for my taste. But other than that it is a well made firearm and accurate enough to hit consistent groups for what you will need for deer size game. I want to use it on squirrel hopefully soon using 38 spl. Still researching the most effective load. Not the go too for squirrel, but want to test it out for myself.

I prefer a side loading gate myself, the top loading tube magazines are okay, I don't have an issue with them. However it is a lot easier to shove cartridges into the side of the receiver than to uncork the magazine tube and drop them in from the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I prefer a side loading gate myself, the top loading tube magazines are okay, I don't have an issue with them. However it is a lot easier to shove cartridges into the side of the receiver than to uncork the magazine tube and drop them in from the top.
I don't mind loading from the front. I prefer the side gate on my 45-70 where I'm only loading 4 through it, but with my .44 the mag holds 10, and it's easy on the bullets and fingers.

It's nice to dump them that way too. Easy to load a single if you need one more that the previous 11 (chamber loaded) didn't quite handle.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,196 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:

My absolute favorite hunting bullet via 38spl......

https://www.evergladesammo.com/38-35...stomer-reviews

Note: Swamp rats are one thing, but big hogs at close range is another. ( Especially if you have a boar comin right at you.)

If you don't reload, here is an economical commercial load that has been successful at critter killin. .....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/15653

With that said, make sure your specific rifle feeds it well, and a very closer second......shoots it well before you stock anything deep.

If you can get this close to a Colorado muley.........it really wont matter what's loaded up in the rifle....

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171223_120821.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	282420