Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,892 Times in 2,305 Posts
Default New one on me

Advertise Here

Just pulled out my arrow boxes to check them out after sitting in the closet for twelve years or so. EVERY vane on every arrow 'cept one color is brittle and literally crumblng. Bright green, bright white, olive green, brown, black, pink, and bright yellow. ALL crumbled except the bright green. All 4" vanes, all the same maker. Can't recall who it was but they were name brand. Fletch-Tite glue. All the bags of extras, too. Got about 400 arrows that now need to be fletched. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I'm guessing they're meant to be biodegradable or something.

On a side note, I strung one of my old Ben Pearsons, a 3350 Super Jet fiberglass (my fav type of bow of course) and worked out with a dozen brand spanking new Chinese cedars in the back yard. Felt great! That bow is a 40lb recurve....and the 40lbs was pretty much perfect for my out of condition shoulder! Nice arrows, too. $18 for a dozen with glue on target tips. All the tips were loose out of the package so the shafts could be cut if necessary.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,344 Times in 11,462 Posts

yep on plastic vanes. one of the reasons i switched to feather. I packed away new in box crossbow bolts, had the nylon vanes, they did the same. do not get the quick fletch fletchings, they easier, but they always blow off. by the 3rd shot in my case. I replace feather vanes after 5 years, good or not.
dont want them blowing off on a critical shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,036 Posts

Had the same thing happen with brand new never used 3 year old arrows in the original box. Ive been experimenting with pigeon feathers. I have the pigeons. They already pay their way with race winnings and the ocassional meal, figured maybe they could earn their keep in other ways too. Wing tips with the slender natural curve on the leading edge seem to be a better choice than trimmed tail feathers. Redtail hawk on the other hand i kinda like tail feathers better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

wild turkey works fine as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 04:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,036 Posts

Yeah i cant keep turkey feathers around long enough for me to anything with. A friend of mine is an injun, she buys all my turkey hides, she paints landscapes and animals and stuff on them and sells em in her gallery, she makes quill pens too. We have a lot of wild turkeys around here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

goose and duck feathers are excellent as well...... i prefer the flight with feather,, on a good ceder shaft, with a zwickey Eskimo leading the way...... good rainy afternoon winter pastime, set there with the jig and glue fletch......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,948 Posts

I looked at my stash of arrows, which like yours is old, very old. the vanes are brittle and the feathers shedding. since they are aluminum shafts, I purchased a dozen carbon and couple dozen fiberglass arrows from china. I have not had a chance to shoot the Chinese arrow nor fletch the old arrows. I plan on using the aluminum arrows and fiberglass arrows for practice and squirrel arrows. Question, how do the Chinese arrows shoot? I was thinking of getting several dozen for my Y3K stash
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

yer better off, buying quality shafts, vacuum sealing feathers, greasing down different tips, (broadhead,Judo,field,target and socking them away.with a new fletching jig and a can of adhisive (sealed). girlchild got me into shooting carbonfiber around her (prefer my spruce) but i bought feathered (wouldnt budge on that) Victory Vforce carbon fiber arrows, (primal Gear sells em) bought a dozen for 84$
I had picked up a Darton wheelie compound, a LiL John, 75 top out, 65 low, Compound bow, so I bought some of the cheap arrows, from china (24 for 35 shipped) first 2 out of the darton splintered, (lucky they did past my hand) so, I tried another one in my PG 55, it shot, wierd lil left hook, shot 2 more, and the third arrow split on release. If you below 35 lbs, they might work if your going to shoot em out of a heavier bow, buy a chain mail glove. a cheap arrow aint worth the price to fix your hand arm. and thye do some damage............ PG , www.goprimalnow.com also sell the victory take down arrows. and they good down to earth people to work with.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,892 Times in 2,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I looked at my stash of arrows, which like yours is old, very old. the vanes are brittle and the feathers shedding. since they are aluminum shafts, I purchased a dozen carbon and couple dozen fiberglass arrows from china. I have not had a chance to shoot the Chinese arrow nor fletch the old arrows. I plan on using the aluminum arrows and fiberglass arrows for practice and squirrel arrows. Question, how do the Chinese arrows shoot? I was thinking of getting several dozen for my Y3K stash
The vanes were so brittle they felt like wax breaking. weird smell in the bag, too. Real surprise! I hit the local sports shop for some vanes this past Friday. Decided on some Fusion 2 neon greens, some oranges, whites for cocks and some purples for the niece's arrows I have a mess of. Shop guy tried to sell me on Blazers at twice the price....hard to convince a customer that one product sucks when you sell it in YOUR OWN shop, though. I've always heard nothing but good from Duravane shooters. I trust users more than sellers. He also tried to sell me on some Bohning Blazer shrinky dinks. Are those the ones you meant, Goblin? Adds $4 to the price of every arrow. No idea on the durability....they weren't around when I was shooting regularly. That price alone is out of my league. Maybe fletching a dozen for hunting season but not the amount I have. Besides, it's relaxing working with the glue and the jigs. Speaking of, I picked up a roll of fletching tape to try. Anyone use it? It's very narrow two sided tape on a 30 foot roll. I had my doubts but at $1 a roll, it was worth trying. Shop guy said to wipe the shafts and vanes with alcohol and let them dry and then tape the vane first and the vane to the shaft second. Let it sit over night and it sure as hell seems strong! As solid as Fletch-Tite from these few I taped. I'll see how long they last in use. As to these China cedars, they're not Port Orfords but they sure as hell ain't dowel wood, either. I had no probs with them at all. No feathers torn off, no shaft breakage. They shoot just fine from a 40lb recurve.
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,948 Posts

I'm looking at a 35# recurve for practice and squirrels. My compound bows are set at 55#. I may lower them to 45#. I looked at some rusty broadheads in the archery box. I bought a dozen new heads and 3 mechanical heads. The old rusty heads go into the case cleaner and after cleaning, I'll sharpen them. I doubt I would use them on deer but they may be good for "plinking" in the field. Turkey season is near and there is a flock of 50 in the field. Who knows?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default save one arrow so i would buy em again

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
The vanes were so brittle they felt like wax breaking. weird smell in the bag, too. Real surprise! I hit the local sports shop for some vanes this past Friday. Decided on some Fusion 2 neon greens, some oranges, whites for cocks and some purples for the niece's arrows I have a mess of. Shop guy tried to sell me on Blazers at twice the price....hard to convince a customer that one product sucks when you sell it in YOUR OWN shop, though. I've always heard nothing but good from Duravane shooters. I trust users more than sellers. He also tried to sell me on some Bohning Blazer shrinky dinks. Are those the ones you meant, Goblin? Adds $4 to the price of every arrow. No idea on the durability....they weren't around when I was shooting regularly. That price alone is out of my league. Maybe fletching a dozen for hunting season but not the amount I have. Besides, it's relaxing working with the glue and the jigs. Speaking of, I picked up a roll of fletching tape to try. Anyone use it? It's very narrow two sided tape on a 30 foot roll. I had my doubts but at $1 a roll, it was worth trying. Shop guy said to wipe the shafts and vanes with alcohol and let them dry and then tape the vane first and the vane to the shaft second. Let it sit over night and it sure as hell seems strong! As solid as Fletch-Tite from these few I taped. I'll see how long they last in use. As to these China cedars, they're not Port Orfords but they sure as hell ain't dowel wood, either. I had no probs with them at all. No feathers torn off, no shaft breakage. They shoot just fine from a 40lb recurve.
and they are:: quick fletch,NAP TWISTER.::... blew off mine, and i followed the directions to a T lightest i shoot now is a 55...........
Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 PM

My bow is an older on with a 65# pull.
I've shot different length arrows from it... No more aluminum arrows. They tend to bend upon impact. Not to mention, a lot of the fletching has come off most of the arrows. No idea how old they are.
Once I get my bow restrung, new arrows are next in line.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
My bow is an older on with a 65# pull.
I've shot different length arrows from it... No more aluminum arrows. They tend to bend upon impact. Not to mention, a lot of the fletching has come off most of the arrows. No idea how old they are.
Once I get my bow restrung, new arrows are next in line.
Carbon composite arrows are my recommendation.

As to fletchings, you will always have to maintain them...not matter the age..some a better than others but glue doesn't last forever.