Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Las Vegas shooting **All Threads Merged Here*** MOA1 General Discussion 4483 01-30-2019 03:29 PM
Shooting Range Etiquette AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 9 05-20-2017 05:47 PM
Home Firing Range Random_Signal Firearms General Discussion 28 02-23-2017 05:43 PM
MTM Shooting Range Box - $32.99 + Free S/H over $49 apps47inc For Sale 0 12-25-2016 02:26 PM

Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Prepared

Default Osceola Shooting Range

Advertise Here

I currently live in Lake City, FL, and I love this shooting range. Me and my 73 year old father go there often to shoot. Well, it got shut down in August to fix a few things. We were told the berms needed to be redone.

It re-opened one week in Aug. We went back. Berms looked good, but I'm no expert.

Then it got shut down again.

Does anybody have any information about what is going on, or how long it will be closed?

I hate to say it, but at this point I suspect some political-based issues are holding it back.

We had our only Conservative talk radio station shut down last year too.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to atomicsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,053 Times in 4,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
I currently live in Lake City, FL, and I love this shooting range. Me and my 73 year old father go there often to shoot. Well, it got shut down in August to fix a few things. We were told the berms needed to be redone.

It re-opened one week in Aug. We went back. Berms looked good, but I'm no expert.

Then it got shut down again.

Does anybody have any information about what is going on, or how long it will be closed?

I hate to say it, but at this point I suspect some political-based issues are holding it back.

We had our only Conservative talk radio station shut down last year too.
It looks like you're referring to the Lewis D Whitaker range which is an unsupervised range, according the FWC http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-educ...anges/osceola/ it is being evaluated for improvements and will be closed until further notice. We've never been to that range, don't even know where its located...

We go to the Indian River county range and we went to the Triple N Ranch shooting range once but didn't care for it, we like the Indian River county range much more and its only a 15 minute longer drive for us...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Prepared

Osceola gun range is great. Most of the time it's unsupervised, but people are respectful and follow the rules. It's very relaxed.

I was hoping somebody here had some inside information on what they are doing and how long they expect it to be shut down.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:44 AM
begger of beer

That range is a basket of trouble. The bathrooms and classroom have been shot up. Guns stolen from the line. Sometimes there is an RSO there. You have to work to keep him from stealing your spent brass. I won’t go there without a sidearm and someone armed to watch the line while down range.

I’d look into the Fort White Gun Club. Membership fees are low. Rifle range is only 100 yards. But there are lots of matches during the week for retired folks. There is a steel plate match on the cowboy range if you have ammo that meets the cowboy range specs. The web address is the club name dot org. There is a waiting list as only 500 memberships are allowed.

Also there is conservative talk radio back on the air in the area, 106.1 iirc. I’m tired of corrupt politics I’m generally listening to 100.5 out of Gville.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Prepared

Wow. I had no idea all that was going on there. I've never had a bad experience. At the times we go (during the week) there's hardly anybody there, and some times we've been the only ones there, which has been really nice. We avoid the weekends. I never understood how all those bullet holes got in the block walls that divide the ranges. Well, I understand how, but it's something I would never do out of respect and safety, even if nobody was there.

I've only been able to pull conservative talk radio from J'ville on 690 am, I think. We must live below a hill and can't pull G'ville from the south.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Prepared

Just saw a teaser on the ABC Jacksonville news. It showed a few shots of this gun range and the tag line was, "Why this gun range is under fire."

It's supposed to air this week some time.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,053 Times in 4,832 Posts

If it winds up getting closed permanently it will be the fault of those who abused it and they'll be the first to whine after it closes...

Its a free shooting range, all that was asked was to cleanup after yourself and respect it, the people that have abused it deserve to have it taken away. As usual a few bad apples ruin it for the rest...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 AM

Well, that is a real shame to hear. I grew up in Lake City. My father taught me to shoot many many years ago at that range. Several years ago, I was in town visiting friends and family, when I suggested we take a trip out to the range. A childhood friend told me there was a couple of guys who would wait for the line to go cold then jump out their cars and rob the range goer's of their weapons when they were down range. Sure, isn't the little old sleepy town I grew up in anymore. I hope they get everything worked out, and the range opens up for the locals to enjoy again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Panhandler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Prepared

Here's the news report.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...g/77-598520820
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicsmurf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 AM
Prepared

The gun range is now open. I went Thursday with my father. Nobody was there. They patched the holes in the walls. Repainted the red lines, posted more rule signs. Fixed the berms. And I guess it's been closed long enough to have the grass start growing on the range and berms. It looks good. Please, let's try to keep it that way.

Finally got to shoot our Buds French Police Trade-In Model 10's and the 64. WOW! Just wow! Sweet, smooth triggers, great point of aim. It's more accurate than we are, but we were hitting mass at 50 yards. Not one hiccup in all three. Very happy with them.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:24 AM

It's great that the Lewis Whitaker (Osceola) range is open again, I went there the week before Thanksgiving and spent most of the afternoon shooting my Russian SKS and Swedish M96 rifle.
I have never seen unruly or unsafe people there or known of any thefts. I've been fortunate I suppose, all our experiences there have been positive. I never go there on weekends so as to avoid the crowds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At the Range 11-22-2018.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	280968  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dannyboy53 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
This guy says bullets were landing around people coming from "range two". I have never experienced this and I have been going there for about three years approx twice a month. He makes this range sound like a combat zone and that just isn't true in my experience. I have met many people that are like me, former Military and Peace Officers that are very safety minded folks and conduct themselves as such.

He needs to simply get over his mad and move on.

My wife and I have always found it to be a relaxing and enjoyable atmosphere, as these photos show of a recent trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mary and the M96 Swedish Mauser.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	286578   Click image for larger version

Name:	M4 @ the range.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	286580