Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 150 10-16-2018 09:56 PM
Homemade Bug Out Bag Survival Fishing Kit AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-21-2018 07:30 AM
Catching Eels by fishing line - have you ever seen? mrl Boating and Fishing 13 11-20-2017 11:09 AM
ATV Emergency Kit unknownprepper Canada 1 04-13-2017 07:31 PM
72+ hour kit - NOT an INCH bag MedicineMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 03-23-2017 11:14 PM

Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,036 Times in 619 Posts
Default Fishing kit line

Advertise Here

Always been told mono line was worthless after a few years, even if just sitting in a BOB. For that reason I keep mostly 20 # braided and just a little mono leader in 8 and 20#. I came across some mono from tye 80's or 90's. It was copyrighted 1986 and had a $1.87 Kmart price tag. So i tested 8# test line. It held a 5# dumbell. It did not hold an 8# and i had nothing between. fast

Anyway, does anyone know how fast mono deteriates? If it only loses 20% of its strength in 20 years, i would pack more mono.

I always felt it was a waste to pack much mono because even a $1 mini spool at walmart takes up valuable space in a pocket sized kit. Nothing like losing a hook because your line was too weak.

Either way, I would still want braid. It takes up 1/4 the space as mono and is tough. But it has no give and is easily spotted. Great for catfish though.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Keep it away from sunlight. It should last a long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeb Sturat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,958 Times in 9,786 Posts

I like to use fishing line of various types and break strength.
The longest lasting has been Dacron braid sold as fly reel backing.
I also use Berkeley trilene 4 & 8 lb XL, trilene 20 lb XT, and 60 lb superbraid.
The spin reel in my LW fishing kit is filled with 8 lb trilene XL, and I carry about 100' of 20 lb Dacron.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

I’ve been partial to braided line. I fish the ocean and Ca delta. I’ve caught Sturgeon well over 100# on 30# power pro braid. My biggest fish on 30# was approx 230#. Braid last longer than mono and I’ve used the same braid for 8 years in a row.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scythe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Hunter

Thanks everyone. I use Kastking (check it out... great reviews great price) braided line on my reels. What I am getting at is, if I have a small kit that sits in my BOB or in my car or in my pack for say 5 years, I am trying to find out how good mono still is. Id say braid is still at 99% but ive been under the impression that mono is at a fraction of the original strength. If there is only a 20% loss in 5 years, I would pack some 10 pound test so it would have 8 pound strength and some 25 so it has the strength of 20.

One thing people dont account for is if you are planning to handline in an emergency, without the pole, you loose a lot of your give. the stretch of mono helps you keep from jerking the hook out of its mouth and helps keep tension on the line. Also, you might be able to fight a 10 pound fish (throwing out an arbitrary weight) on 8 pound test if you are using a rod because of the bend but that same fish might snap your line while handlining. If you never handlined, I recommend it... before SHTF. Theres a big difference but its fun.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,404 Times in 7,080 Posts

I'd rather have line I can trust, than line that I hope is still 80% or 70% good. I'll set the drag or not jerk as hard on a hand line of braid, and move on.

Also, I have 6 and 4 lb mono on some of my gear, there's not much wiggle room there.

That said, mono isn't expensive. Just replace what's in your BOB every year, use the 1 year old stuff to re-spool your daily use items, you'll never have "old" stuff around, and problem solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I'd rather have line I can trust, than line that I hope is still 80% or 70% good. I'll set the drag or not jerk as hard on a hand line of braid, and move on.

That said, mono isn't expensive. Just replace what's in your BOB every year, use the 1 year old stuff to re-spool your daily use items, you'll never have "old" stuff around, and problem solved.
I know i would intend to replace it but wouldnt. Then when i needed it, i cant fish. Walmart sells 100 yards for $1. Or 990 yards of Eagle Claw for $3.76. I just worry when I need it, it will be deteriorated. When i used to trout fish, I switched to braid, lost a lot of fish by not being careful. Could only imagine trying to handline trout with it.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,026 Posts

Heat is a nylon line killer. Line stored in a hot vehicle will not be as god as line stored in a cool basement.

But new line isn't that expensive not to replace it yearly. Use the older line and fish it this year.

I have nylon and braid and that covers most fishing conditions and species I fish for.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,977 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktide View Post
Always been told mono line was worthless after a few years, even if just sitting in a BOB. For that reason I keep mostly 20 # braided and just a little mono leader in 8 and 20#. I came across some mono from tye 80's or 90's. It was copyrighted 1986 and had a $1.87 Kmart price tag. So i tested 8# test line. It held a 5# dumbell. It did not hold an 8# and i had nothing between. fast

Anyway, does anyone know how fast mono deteriates? If it only loses 20% of its strength in 20 years, i would pack more mono.

I always felt it was a waste to pack much mono because even a $1 mini spool at walmart takes up valuable space in a pocket sized kit. Nothing like losing a hook because your line was too weak.

Either way, I would still want braid. It takes up 1/4 the space as mono and is tough. But it has no give and is easily spotted. Great for catfish though.
Heat and sunlight kill mono rather quickly, but if you swap it out every couple years you should be fine. I personally would not use it due to mono holding more memory in the line.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,404 Times in 7,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktide View Post
I know i would intend to replace it but wouldnt. Then when i needed it, i cant fish.
Well....There's yer problem!

If you are going to be a successful prepper or survivalist, you have to get past that.

Make it a thing. I kind of enjoy doing it, it's what I do when it's still too cold to go out much without an ice auger, but too warm to trust the ice, in anticipation of when it gets warmer.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Hunter

I learned my lesson about old mono a few years ago. Didnt replace the line on one ratty old rod a reel thinking we would use it at the bay. Used it, something big snapped 40# test without effort.

Looks like im going to stick to my old plan of mostly braided line to ensure I have good line, and just a little mono for leaders. I can get by without leaders but not with no line.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,038 Times in 1,750 Posts

The line packed in military aircrew survival kits is braided 20# Dacron treated with Uv stabilizer, which is similar to, but lighter weight than the inner 50# strands of 550# paracord. Almost like a tightly braided dental floss. Very useful paired with sailing needle for equipment repairs and can be used in a Speedy Stitcher sewing awl. Try THAT with monofilament!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Prepared

"Something big" usually has teeth or some bony plates to hold prey. It would go through 40 pound. Probably 50 too, like a knife. Gotta use the appropriate line for the job. If you are going to store line for years and not rotate it, get a super line. Monno is still a great fishing line in many circumstances. If you are in a rough place, trim it back once in a while. I replace my line every winter, because Mono is "cheap" and I can afford to do that. When I was a kid, we put Stren on our reels and fished for YEARS with the same line and had no troubles.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Yankee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,758 Posts

I'll just throw this out there.
If your talking about using it for reels,stored mono coils up after time,even when newer.

Not just spooling it wrong,but memory.
Just another consideration.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 07:38 AM

What happens if you fish without a license?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,922 Times in 1,245 Posts

For sport fishing lite mono line is fun. If you need to feed yourself a strong braided will do the job. For set lines or jug fishing use catfish line. To catch turtles or fish that bite through line wire leaders help. Survival fishing is not sport fishing.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

I agree.. keep it away from high temps and direct sunlight... it lasts for years. My boys are still using some cheap mono I bought them 15 years ago to catch gar. If you haven't caught a gar, it's one fish that will snap a line easily if it were to start deteriorating. My eldest caught a giant, 32 inch yellow jack in the gulf with the same line a few years back. The line was at least 10 years old then. That's another fish that will test the strength of a line.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Hunter

Thank you all. From what im seeing... Mono keeps most of its strength if its unused. So i will keep some mono for leaders and braided for the rest.