Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 20,745 Times in 7,683 Posts
Default Alligator Weed

Advertise Here

Anyone had any experience with successfully getting rid if alligator weed from their ponds?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,345 Times in 11,462 Posts

here they use the Triploid "Grass carp" to keep it at bay, DNR but you do have to restock from time to time, as the "grass carp" is a sterile version of the white amur. the more you have the quicker it will go. Gator grass isnt on their preferred list of diet, but they will eat it if necessary. just takes a lil longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:51 AM
VA / NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
here they use the Triploid "Grass carp" to keep it at bay, DNR but you do have to restock from time to time, as the "grass carp" is a sterile version of the white amur. the more you have the quicker it will go. Gator grass isnt on their preferred list of diet, but they will eat it if necessary. just takes a lil longer.
Thanks Goblin. The stuff is vicious and almost impossible to get rid of.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 05:33 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,493 Times in 20,120 Posts

There is also a South American beetle that is used for control.

http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/DatabaseRoot/pdf/ANR48.PDF

I have seen copper sulphate used to good effect as well.
Probably illegal these days, since they claim it harms fish. I leased a place with a 3 acre pond in front of the house.
The owner would throw a bucket of copper sulphate granules in the pond when weeds and algae started to get out of hand.
A week later the pond would be beautiful again.

They claim it harms fish. That pond had a huge fish population and they all seemed quite happy. Lots of bass and the normal variety of smaller fish. Caught a large-mouth bass out of there that was just under a record size. Ducks both domestic and wild , turtles, frogs a plenty. That copper didn't hurt anything but the algae and plant overgrowth.

I think the ducks and turtles might have eaten some of the weeds also, but they couldn't keep it under control. The copper did that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,345 Times in 11,462 Posts

there is also a list of herbicides that DNR can use, but like Justme11 states with the copper sulfate, it can harm fish and wildlife . they hesitant around here because the area is a raptor sanctuary, and worry bout the Ospray and of course the Snake Birds...... i will get the lit next time i go by there. another case of a non-native invasive species.......just like kudzoo and Bamboo.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 09:33 PM
VA / NC

Yep they have sprays , but are very cautious concerning what they allow folks to use, and the costs of the stuff is crazy high.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM
VA / NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There is also a South American beetle that is used for control.

http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/DatabaseRoot/pdf/ANR48.PDF

I have seen copper sulphate used to good effect as well.
Probably illegal these days, since they claim it harms fish. I leased a place with a 3 acre pond in front of the house.
The owner would throw a bucket of copper sulphate granules in the pond when weeds and algae started to get out of hand.
A week later the pond would be beautiful again.

They claim it harms fish. That pond had a huge fish population and they all seemed quite happy. Lots of bass and the normal variety of smaller fish. Caught a large-mouth bass out of there that was just under a record size. Ducks both domestic and wild , turtles, frogs a plenty. That copper didn't hurt anything but the algae and plant overgrowth.

I think the ducks and turtles might have eaten some of the weeds also, but they couldn't keep it under control. The copper did that.
Wonder how effective they would be. I mean I can see them eating the portion above the waterline, but then there is a remaining plant (root system) underwater. Have even seen places where it’s grown on the muddy portions of the shoreline, and every now and again you can see where deer have nipped the tops. Now the copper sounds good but of course with all the EPA stuff probably is illegal.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:15 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,493 Times in 20,120 Posts

They had stopped selling it in NJ, Not sure about other states.

It was likr a miracle and the bs that it harms fish was not in evidence in the amounts used to kill the weeds.

I doubt if that bug would do much.
Sounds like typical government advice that makes everything your fault.

they see 1 bug eat a weed and proclaim it an effective treatment to replace what works, but they dont like for some reason. basically taking your proprty rights.

force you to maintain wetlands, then prevent you from making it look nice. Then force you to accept an invasion of noisy crap spewing Canada Geese. they are endangered I guess, since there is only about a billion of them.

Next they will probably force you to maintain a habitat for the homeless by your wife's bedroom window. Then outlaw shades.

Land of the free my Aunt Fanny.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 PM
VA / NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
They had stopped selling it in NJ, Not sure about other states.

It was likr a miracle and the bs that it harms fish was not in evidence in the amounts used to kill the weeds.

I doubt if that bug would do much.
Sounds like typical government advice that makes everything your fault.

they see 1 bug eat a weed and proclaim it an effective treatment to replace what works, but they dont like for some reason. basically taking your proprty rights.

force you to maintain wetlands, then prevent you from making it look nice. Then force you to accept an invasion of noisy crap spewing Canada Geese. they are endangered I guess, since there is only about a billion of them.

Next they will probably force you to maintain a habitat for the homeless by your wife's bedroom window. Then outlaw shades.

Land of the free my Aunt Fanny.
Yep we have a game reserve very close by with geese galore - overly galore
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post: