Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
Korean war coming to an end Jdog67 General Discussion 127 05-03-2018 05:04 AM
What can i do if North Korea's SPG shells droped at my city smyun99 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 05-31-2017 10:45 AM
Buying a compass roof_top_eagle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 42 12-14-2016 07:24 PM

Old 07-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Thanked 1,280 Times in 382 Posts
Default Any kayakers from North Alabama?

Advertise Here

Hey, y'all.....I've been kayaking a few times & kinda caught the bug, just went out & got a cheap kayak to get started, figured I'll upgrade eventually if the obsession continues.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was anyone from my general area on here, maybe get some suggestions about rivers/creeks to explore & maybe even do a little fishing.....I've done both, but I'm more into the exploring aspect at the moment.

Any comments/advice are welcome, though, no matter where you're from.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,028 Times in 344 Posts

cool! i love my kayak. i bought my green Viper 10.4 kayak at Menards in South Dakota on sale for $150 a few years ago. great deal for an entry level boat!

Its kinda slow compared to the higher end kayaks but its very stable and i dont have to worry about tipping.

Ive modified mine for fishing. ive cut 3 holes in the deck behind the seat to put the sunken rod holders so i can carry up to 4 line weights/rods using extra spools for a couple of rods. im putting on an Anchor Trolley so i can run the anchor to the rear of the boat to face down current/wind and not be swinging side to side. I also put in a taco clip paddle holder so its out of the way, on the side of the cockpit.

I have also remounted the carrying handle anchor points by drilling and putting bolts all the way through with washers and nuts, the shallow screws in it from factory can and will pull out if you use those to tie the boat to the car.

I also put extra, small pad eyes to clip in home made paddle leash, small net i got cheap at walmart, and three in the back for rod leashes. For the rod leashes, i used bungee cording and tied 1 end to a clip to fix onto a pad eye and the other end i tied a plastic carabiner that clips around the reel stem between the reel and the rod cleat/foot. That way, if im fishing with bobber or on the bottom with one rod and casting with another and a fish takes the one in the holder, i wont lose the rod. also comes in handy if i get too close to trees & brush near shore.

Video for modifications:

http://youtu.be/4ANlo-ZRBbo

IF YOU CUT ANY PLASTIC FROM THE BOAT SAVE THE PLASTIC! if you make a mistake or decide that you put a pad eye or something in the wrong place, you can use a large foot tip on a wood burner to melt and patch up the hole with the old plastic.

I had a larger, heavy tackle bag that easily weighs 25 - 30 lbs so i had a knock-off mollie backpack and bought some various sized tackle organizer boxes, filled it with smaller amounts of tackle i figured id need and set it between my legs while fishing. I also usually use a floating basket/creel to keep fish as it doesnt make as much noise as a chain stringer. i clip it in to one of the pad eyes or a clip hole in the paddle holder.

i love my little kayak, its like having my private tiny island when im fishing.
The Following User Says Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Thanks for the info, man. My kayak looks similar to yours in the pic, but is even shorter at 8'. I was worried about stability, but it hasn't been a problem yet. We even went through some pretty good rapids....I say "pretty good", remember I'm a beginner. I think they're class 2....the other day & I went up on & against a few rocks but never came close to flipping.

Anyway, I could talk about my last trip all day....god knows my family is sick of hearing every little detail. Its really, really fun & I hear you on the "tiny private island", that's a huge part of the appeal to me. Thanks again, man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_Kerr For This Useful Post:

Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,028 Times in 344 Posts

good deal! i had an 8 footer first, but i was too heavy for it as it sank a bit deeper in the water and wasnt very fast. This Menards 10.4 holds i think like 300+ pounds and is wide & flat in the center to really provide stabillity.

i saw a decent sit-on-top fishing kayak at Walmart for like $299, was thinking of getting that and then my younger son can use my Viper. gotta see if i can sell some stuff to get the better boat.

Also, i really like to watch videos of this great guy Trip who startede the Youtube channel "Sailingandsuch", heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/SailingandSuch

Try to find his early episodes to watch first. he started filming these as he started learning how to pack a kayak, how to find & set up camps on shore, go on 2 - 3 night camp trips etc. he's a real funny, honest guy and he doesnt edit it to look like a stud. give him a try, i had fun and i learned stuff.

Later.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Cool, that sounds like something I need to watch. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_Kerr For This Useful Post: