What to do in a riot? - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why a shotgun for a riot? WILL Shotgun Forum 55 01-07-2019 12:51 PM
How to Survive a Riot (or How I Survived My First Riot) TonyGa Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 04-22-2018 08:19 AM
Berkeley Riot: Dude selling delicious, salty peanuts KravMagoo General Discussion 4 09-03-2017 07:23 AM
Tulsa officer involved shooting near riot Koolhandlinc General Discussion 13 06-11-2017 01:28 PM
Liberal Meltdown and Riots - Merge Thread Cpt-Jack General Discussion 850 12-03-2016 09:36 PM

Old 09-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,201 Posts

Advertise Here

Join in and have some fun.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post
Join in and have some fun.

If that’s supposed to be funny, it isn’t, and if you’re serious it doesn’t deserve the dignity of a response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Hunter

ít is very hard to escape in that situation as once fists start flying street brawls happen and that can go on for miles in any direction when the crowd start moving..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,800 Times in 2,113 Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...=rss&OCID=AMZN

bang noise from falling barrier creates shooter fear.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
In Denny's case, it happened in California. If he would have floored it, his state government would have done their worse to see that he would be sitting in prison for the rest of his life...lest risk another riot.
Best argument for not living in California or any of the other 9 to 10 Marxist States of America.

I carried a shotgun in the car during Ferguson with both 00 buck and #2 bird. The #2 bird shouts "I'm not kidding" to anyone surrounding me or blocking my egress. The 00 buck is for those who are deaf. A riot is like a river, it takes the path of least resistence. Show weakness in a riot and be eaten.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,769 Times in 6,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sockpuppet View Post
Reginald Denny wasn't armed. I suspect that iyaayas isn't that dumb.
Correct. All I can say about THAT.

My truck has been modified and hardened. Along with a pretty sophisticated surveillance system.

My pit bull has already discouraged people from " bothering " me in several situations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,342 Posts

I started a riot one time. It was a good one. I got the shield wall and all. I still have to explain that one when I go for job interviews because “incited a riot” doesn’t show up very often on background checks. Anyone can get a roiting charge but it’s take hard work and planning to get the “incite” part.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Threepin'

Thanked 6,792 Times in 2,165 Posts

Being in a vehicle is a special circumstance that will almost always lend itself to staying inside of that vehicle, and recognizing that you have a tool for escape and self defense at your disposal. Laws vary by state, but in many, if you can see a clearly articulable threat (an instance where you know that no other reasonable person would disagree with your decision - or that a jury would disagree), and genuinely fear great bodily harm or imminent death, you can drive right over anyone impeding your path. There have been dozens of cases finding in favor of people who genuinely felt threatened.

The NYC bike chase with the family in the Land Rover comes to mind, where the biker brake checked him, a “fight” ensued and the LR driver ended up driving over the biker, who was using his helmet to try and break the vehicle windows and get to the driver.

Anyone saying “simple, don’t be there” apparently does not understand that accidents and crime happens quite a bit in this country.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

If shooting starts Vehicles are bullet Magnets (Mexico Drug Cartel Wars verify this)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,871 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by querulous View Post
Anyone saying “simple, don’t be there” apparently does not understand that accidents and crime happens quite a bit in this country.
Yup. They also need to work on reading comprehension since the thread is about "what to do in a riot", not "what to do when you're smart or lucky enough to avoid a riot".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,196 Times in 2,175 Posts

Reload fast.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,376 Times in 7,304 Posts

There is no single correct answer. Likely the biggest factor is: are you only responsible for yourself or other and at what age.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,168 Times in 3,756 Posts

Somewhere I once wrote a lengthy address to this topic (riot & violent protest survival), but can't find it now. From memory, the major points were:

1. Avoid by keeping situational awareness (and leaving/hiding early). As soon as trouble starts (or even looks like it might start), you hoof it out of there.

2. If caught up on foot, masquerade as a crowd member, until you can drift away. If everyone else is fist waving and chanting on the march... you are too. Assume an on-the-spot protester identity. Temporarily join the pack. Don't look like obvious prey.

3. If you are an obvious no-fit (wrong appearance, ethnicity, social class, etc.)...all is not lost. Try to forge an instant alliance somewhere in the crowd; "help" somebody and attach to their little "unit" of friends or family. Anyone moving in tow with children is a likely candidate. Chance are they'll actually appreciate the proffered assistance. Otherwise, any already injured or elderly person is a good gig. Help them to "evacuate". Even angry folks will sometimes give a pass to obvious non-combatant demeanor. If you can identify a professional agitator (like someone with a bullhorn), become their new best friend and chant-starter. After few minutes, folks will perceive you as "one of us".

4. Move to the crowd edges (but not against the predominant flow of the masses). Appear to be moving with them and with a common purpose. Don't stand out by fleeing against the grain and triggering reflexive chase instincts among amped up folks looking for a target. If authorities open fire... or instigate an arrest charge by armored riot control personnel, being in the middle of a crowd is a good way to get trampled, possibly to death. When troops open fire on rioting crowds, it looks like a nature film where the lions charge the zebra or antelope herd. The fast herd members sprint, the slow get hemmed up, and the indecisive or lame get trampled by everyone. Lots of empty shoes left behind as folks literally run right out of their footwear.

Read up on crowd dynamics for an understanding of how many tons of human flesh moves like an uncompressible liquid when a crowd panics. How people die from crushing effect at concerts. It can get even worse during a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd engaged in rioting. You can't physically resist hundreds (or thousands) of people trying to move in one direction at tight quarters. You have to move away to the edges...before something bad happens.

5. Be prepared to quickly instigate a distracting action that causes you to be ignored personally (as a target). For instance, precipitate a looting event by breaking a window on a shop. Jump up and down on a parked car. Or point somebody else out as a potential target (tough decision, but it's them or you). Start something. Instead of waiting for the crowd to sniff your blood in the water, be loud, be crazy, and be ready to sic folks on somebody or something else more convenient. Make an accusation, draw some followers, target them against something/someone... then un-ass the area. Act aggressively in support of the riot rather than act afraid of it.

6. Be prepared to leave your stopped vehicle behind. Instantly. You have insurance. Walk away and forget about it.

7. If you're stuck in your vehicle, you have mobility, some protection, and a coupla tons of kinetic weapon. Run their asses over. Don't forget about using reverse. Know how to execute a J-Turn.

8. Get Off of the Street. That's the place where bad things are happening. Go into the first structure you can get to that has a door or window that you can hopefully close behind you. Then find a way out the back, the side, or over a roof/courtyard wall/fence line. Head away from the mob at as near to a 90 degree angle as you can. Don't allow yourself to be chased into a structure, just move to the edge of the mob and then casually enter the first place you can find. Don't stick around to get burned out if folks start lighting fires. Getting off of the street takes you away from 90% of problems and provides you with a place to hide as well as ballistic protection. Maybe you'll even get invited to dinner by the folks already inside.

9. Be prepared to quickly adopt a "neutral" persona: clergy, utility repair technician, reporter, volunteer medical worker, etc. Simple worn props kept on your person or inside of your vehicle. Work ball cap, name badge with logo, clip board, plastic hard hat with logo, "medical" worker windbreaker, etc. If the angry folks are wearing anything distinctive... you should have that kind of item at hand (colored bandanna, movement t-shirt, black hoody, etc.).

10. NEVER get between armed troops (or riot police) and the object of their affections (the rioting crowd). You're between an anvil and a hammer at that point. If they open fire, you are an easy target. If they start arresting or head thumping, you are getting scuffed up. If they deploy non-lethal munitions, you are going to catch the effects of gas, flash bangs, beanbags, or rubber projectiles. Instead, get off the main drag, moving roughly perpendicular to the movement of the crowd and find side streets, footpaths, or alleys to exit the area.

11. If you can pass for a crowd member, consider being a loud but slow malingerer... and gradually drift to the periphery of the mob, then get left behind.

12. If you can't pass for "them" (for example: the only person of your ethnicity or nationality in sight), and get pointed out as a target... you'd better be prepared to run like a deer or drive like a demolition derby driver. Do the best you can.

13. If shooting breaks out, get behind anything that will stop a bullet. Bullets fired at an oblique horizontal angle will bounce off a hard surface like a paved roadway, brick wall, concrete sidewalk, or flat masonry surface... then hug the line of that surface at about 2-6 inches parallel to it. This effect is called a Rabbit Round. Something trained CQB shooters & riot troops use to good effect against people laying on the ground, hiding next to parked automobiles, or hugging up against walls or hallways.

Low rounds fired at a crowd aren't mostly ricocheting into the air. Instead, they're hitting the pavement, then hugging the pavement (at about ankle/shinbone height), while proceeding in the same general direction they were originally fired. Laying down in the open street is a very good way to get struck. Find cover instead. Even a curb deep enough to lay down behind. In the middle of a riot, you should be identifying and moving toward your next immediate ballistic cover... even as you generally try to move away from the entire scene. As you move, identify the next bullet stopping thing in your direction of travel... and be ready to reach it in seconds.

14. Don't screw around filming things. The circus ain't in town. It's not a tourist event. It's a riot. Leave right now. But if you've the presence of mind, film your entire egress with phone or Go-Pro (if you have one). That might wind up being your best legal defense much later. Especially if you get accused as a participant... or if some thugs attempt to block your departure.

15. If the authorities are containing or cordoning main pedestrian routes, you may not be able to leave by obvious pathways. Find those holes in the net and squirt out. Do it early. Before the entire area gets surrounded by armed minions of the state. Again... go inside of, and then through, buildings.

Just my $.02
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM
I love this forum

Do not say GUN !
Old 10-10-2018, 06:21 PM
I love this forum

Click image for larger version

Name:	13096156_10154204684150337_6460703544584501641_n.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	278946 this !
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Hunter

ah to avoid an area is a grand though curious minds like to gander at the spectical in front of them and don't be of curious mind because you'll end up in a lockup for 3 or more days while they decide to book you or not..
Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,856 Times in 7,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
Center mass is actually a gut shot. Try taking a silhouette target and placing it over a real person. You'll find that you're aiming for the lower portion of the stomach/transverse colon.

Best place to shoot is the sternum. A competent level of accuracy should put all your shots within the 9 ring. That shift will place your 9 ring almost completely on vitals (heart, lungs, major arteries). If you're working on a traditional center of mass silhouette target move your bullseye up to about the top 9.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Center mass is actually a gut shot. Try taking a silhouette target and placing it over a real person. You'll find that you're aiming for the lower portion of the stomach/transverse colon.

Best place to shoot is the sternum. A competent level of accuracy should put all your shots within the 9 ring. That shift will place your 9 ring almost completely on vitals (heart, lungs, major arteries). If you're working on a traditional center of mass silhouette target move your bullseye up to about the top 9.
I tend to shoot low with 9mm so I shoot for Sternum , with 45 acp I'm able to place better ...
Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Well damn it! We've been doing all this survivalist **** wrong the whole time! All we have to do is not be where we might need it. Case closed. Might as well shut down this forum.
Well, yes. Use the tools at your disposal. Every demonstration is advertised/organised online these days. If your not in your local area (and I assume would find out about anything going on) then spend a few moments online looking at the place you're going to. If you see potential issues, change your plans.

"All we have to do is not be where we might need it."

Yep! Surely the most successful prepper is one who doesn't ever need their preps? If the worry is flooding avoid low ground, don't sit there and try to fight the water! Lack of water, avoid the dessert. Riots, avoid the area.

If you turn a corner and you're face to face with a rioting mob, stick it in reverse and get the **** out of there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommy Kaira For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,469 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
I tend to shoot low with 9mm so I shoot for Sternum , with 45 acp I'm able to place better ...
How often do you shoot people?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk