I am taking a trip deep into enemy territory( Chicago) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM
FBHO

Thanked 2,128 Times in 737 Posts
Default I am taking a trip deep into enemy territory( Chicago)

Advertise Here

background:I live in Wisconsin, born and raised on Chicago's South Side.
I grew up going to The Museum of Science and Industry. ( best thing about that city.)
My 17 year old son is in the auto shop/machine shop program at school, when he heads to college he's aiming to become a civil/or electrical engineer.

I want to take him to the museum down there and spend the day, it is an awesome place, for the "experience of taking the train, and also stopping off in my still "good" neighborhood, avoiding a raping in tolls, cops, parking, and the general bullcrud associated with that city/state we are going to take the train into Chicago from Milwaukee, walk the loop, stop off at CBOE ect. then take the El train to the museum.

Obviously carrying a firearm or proper knife is out of the question.
smart thing would be not to go or drive, but he (and admittedly myself) want to take the public transport route.

I ordered a Cold Steel 92FSD FGX Skean Dhu Plastic Knife, and a Cold Steel 92DD Delta Dart + sheath for the trip. obviously I don't want to use them or deal with the legalities, but seeing the rampant issues with "youths" beating/robbing people on EL trains, as well as the normal scumbag robberys ect. heck I'm going as armed as I quasi legally am able.

I'll have a backpack or two with food,water, normal GHBag stuff, nothing crazy. I'm not anticipating the apocalypse next week.

my questions are: what kind of hassle aka metal detectors, weapons screeners, ect, should I expect?

any other suggestions besides keep my rear in rural Wi. or drive do you have?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Target Shooter

You want to avoid hassle, but refuse to drive? Relying on CTA (which the closest el to the MSI is a major hike) is going to be a major PITA.

There are no metal detectors to get on the el, into the MSI, etc. Only place you'll encounter those would be the Federal buildings, courthouses, and the arenas/ballparks. If you normally carry I wouldn't deviate from the script during your trip regardless of your mode of transportation.

Best advice I would give you is to drive. It'll cost what, $7 each way in tolls from the border to the 294/94 split off? Parking is $20 bucks for the day in the parking garage under the MSI, or $30 for up to 24 hours at Navy Pier's parking garage and you can take their free trolley to the Art Institute to get to the loop and then uber/lyft to Hyde Park.

You're choosing to expose yourself to the mess and b.s. by going the CTA route. Not overly dangerous for two adult male's in the early evening hours but that is where you'll encounter most of the mental illness, drug addicted, and homeless in Chicago. Either in the el cars themselves or on the platforms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T.$.Racing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 01:53 PM
FBHO

Thanked 2,128 Times in 737 Posts

Tempted to drive, but the kid hasn't had the train travel and "inner city" experience.
( I want to check out the MKE to CHI train ride too)
I see this as a field trip, in more ways than just the MSI.

Thank you for the pricing intel, I promise not to come back complaining if I live to regret my decision. Public transport and ewww CTA it will be. I want to walk the loop again, pass the kid by CBOE where I still have a buddy working after 25 years, maybe pop in at Billy Goats for a burger, before hopping the Orange line to McKinley park, where my 100 year old church and school ( that grandma, mom, and myself went and great grandpa helped build. I figure we'll take the EL back to the Red Line, and off to MSI.

suppose I can wimp out and $149 Uber it back to Ozaukee County.

I'll post an AAR next week or month whenever we go. TY
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkeater For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,100 Times in 5,268 Posts

Sounds like a fun trip and experience for the boy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post

I want to walk the loop again, pass the kid by CBOE where I still have a buddy working after 25 years,
If you want to see the trading floor better call your CBOE buddy in advance, the educational tours do not accept kids under 18 and I am pretty sure the visitors galleries are still closed as they are across the street at the CBOT.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rriley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,844 Times in 2,893 Posts
Exclamation

As a former Chicago southsider now relocated to the Missouri Ozarks my reaction to your plans was; "Hmmm taking CTA to McKinnley park, (that neighborhood ain't what it used to be) and then the Red line, (I imagine to Garfield Blvd and transfer to the 55th street bus), a day at the MSI and then another CTA journey exposing you and your offspring to any number of Dindunuffins, crackheads, gangbangers, Ho's and general miscreants... WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?"

To repeat a piece of good advice I was once given; don't go to stupid places surrounded by stupid people and do stupid things and not expect stupid results.
The Following User Says Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM

Took my daughter up the Sears Tower (now called the Willis Tower) a few years back and had to go through metal detector. So hid our pocket knife in a flower bed outside until we got back down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prairie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,602 Posts

Hmm;

if you don't wander out toward Gene and Judes, 2720 N. River Road, River Grove, IL

For a couple Chicago Style Vienna Beef Dogs AND Fries, your whole trip is wasted.

The place is not much to look at, but the meal will be memorable.

https://geneandjudes.com/

Be sure to treat your Uber Driver to a meal.

Chicago style = NO Ketchup, don't ask! It is Mustard,relish, onions, sport peppers, Celery salt, all wrapped in some deliciously greasy freshly cut fries.

Funny story, last time I went out there, I drove directly from the airport toward River Grove and was unsure of the location after many years (first went there in 1972) . So I notice this hugely fat guy barely fitting in a tiny ratty car and I wave him down in traffic. "Can you tell me the way to Gene and Judes?" Sure enough, the guy goes "2 miles down on the right!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,287 Times in 499 Posts

AFAIK pepper spray is legal to carry in Illinois/Chicago, so you may want to add that to your limited arsenal. Whenever I'm out and about I also carry a 24 oz steel insulated water bottle with a paracord lanyard, which gives me a very heavy club on a line 8-)

A friend of mine carries a baseball bat strapped to his backpack, and a glove and baseball inside the pack. He's been stopped a few times and his story is that he's been playing baseball with some friends in the park - never had a problem.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

Buy a stout wooden cane and practice your limp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Optimist

Put a pebble in your shoe, It reminds you of which leg to limp on....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edward4576 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,284 Times in 3,824 Posts

If anything it will be a good ftx on operating sort of, in a non permissive setting..

take a couple little ht's and use gmrs/murs too..

small canisters of pepper spray to the mix....

otherwise, have fun and good luck....

maybe a coupe of small expandable batons too, and 1 couple of 1k lumin tactical end torches...
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 02:46 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,123 Times in 3,376 Posts

The less you are carrying, the less noticeable and less likely to be a target. If something does go wrong, you will be more agile/mobile. A lot of museums/tourist attractions have metal detectors/security checkpoints, and at least some of those places won't let you in with knives, pepper spray, etc. Some might have a place for you to check them or will hold it for you, but don't count on it because most won't. Check the websites of the places you intend to visit, or might visit if there is time/on a whim... most places have the kind of info you're looking for on the websites, or you can call ahead and ask. Sometimes discount tickets...

Usual big city precautions... keep your phone, wallet, and money out of sight, preferably in an inner/hidden pocket, and have just enough $$$ for travel and getting in to wherever you're going, and maybe a little extra, in a separate pocket You can replenish out of sight in a restroom stall. Keep a small card with which trains and buses and stops you need for each little trip so you can refer to it unobtrusively if you need to. You absolutely do not want to look like a lost tourist. There's a thing called apple picking, where thieves/bangers/dopers/homeless pluck your iPhone (or other cell) out of your hand and run off the train/bus with it

Try not to get on the last car of the train, and try not to use the restrooms at the train stations... these are two places where trouble congregates...
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,202 Posts

Nothing will happen to ya.It is very safe around there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 PM

What about titanium self defense items? I remember an article a decade ago warning about titanium icepicks and how metal detectors couldn't detect them. Surely there's some kind of tactical titanium pens, noe..
The Following User Says Thank You to Troglodad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Urban Survivor

I am from that area (born and raised), worked in downtown Chicago for almost 10 years, then moved out west. Still visit family and keep up to date on what is going on out there. Just got back about a month ago but we made a little trip to downtown Chi-raq to see the sites during the weekday, grabbed some good food and had a pretty good time. We parked at Millineal Park (Grant Park) underground garage. I was concerned about the robberies of people during the day by thugs and the shootings, but I also don't want to live my life in fear either. We walked all the way to Union Station, past Willis Tower (it will always be Sears Tower to me) , then back to LSD and sat by the Chicago Boat club. As long as you practice good situational awareness (believe me, this is the place to get really good at it) you can spot shady things and act accordingly. That's just my .02 but you got to do what you feel comfortable doing. Hope you enjoy your trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohdrj For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,411 Posts

Don’t do it, man. You’re a young man, so is your son - you have long lives ahead of you. Find another museum.

Seriously, I wouldn’t go Chicago for anything. If he's at all into airplanes, take him to Wright Pat AFB, The Pensacola Naval Air Museum, my favorite, the Pima air museum in Tucson.

If he’s not into aircraft, find him another museum, but not in that place.

WW

Shoot straight - STAY SAFE !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 12:53 AM

This is about 2 years old, but hasn't changed for the better. If anything, it's worse:

Chicago's Most Dangerous "L" Stops/

Good Luck. Stay Safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to small.business.guy.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

The Sears tower only had metal detectors .
You could carry concealed easy enough in the museums. Just risk does come with steeper problems.

Welcome we are from Wisconsin as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,919 Times in 2,650 Posts

That's scarier than a trip deep into grizzly country.

I don't have to hide my gun in grizzly country (and they are generally friendlier).
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post: