Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,050 Times in 717 Posts

Advertise Here

Crossbows became popular "back in the day" because they required far less training than vertical bows. They're popular today for same reason, and because because they're easier for people with disabilities to shoot.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
Bilmac, have you ever tried using a Judo tip with a cross bow? I use em on recurve and have with a compound before, never thought to try em on a crossbow for small game, in tall grass.........damn, got something to do tomorrow, zwickey's claim is you can loose one, so i will put that to the test they list em for 100gr to 145 gr, and i have some 125 gr. their claim to fame is unloose-able and stump shot survivability www.zwickeyarcheryinc.com
Never thought of using my crossbow for small game. I would think you would break/loose so many bolts you couldn't afford it. I hunted deer with a compound bow a few times, between practice and hunting I was always buying expensive arrows.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:58 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,344 Times in 11,462 Posts

thus why i was thinkin bout the judo tips on the alloy shafts, they the same thread size, the springs grab the grass in a openfield, so they dont burrow under , hell even in pine straw they dont bury. thats with a compound. I make most my recurve arrows, although girlchilds had me shootin feathered Easton CF,

Think im going to play this year with alloy, make a few, see how they do. my crossbow aint as stout as some of the new compounds type, but it should nudge it enough to test.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,725 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
Crossbows became popular "back in the day" because they required far less training than vertical bows. They're popular today for same reason, and because because they're easier for people with disabilities to shoot.
They are popular now for a lot more reasons. For me, I don't own one, I like the idea of it not being a fire arm, it is much more quite than a gun, and you carry it ready to go, worst thing about bow hunting is coming up on prey that notices you before you can knock an arrow. The idea you can make bolts out of wood in a pinch and you can break them down easily into a backpack, not to mention the legalities of carrying a crossbow in a backpack vs a firearm in most places.

You are absolutely right on the training and disabilities. For me I'd love one but for the price of a good one I could buy another firearm that I don't need and it's a niche weapon already filled by a compound bow
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfSpring For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2018, 04:49 AM
Survivor

The reason I sold mine is because I HATED packing it around in the woods. Instead of a nice slim rifle now you have a three dimensional thing catching on everything. If you carry it ready to shoot, about every place around it is dangerous if it goes off accidentally. Can get in front of the limbs, can't get in front of the string.

Carry it uncocked you say. I have hunted nearly every year for multiple big game critters per year for 58 years. I can say that if you can't shoot immediately when you get the chance you aren't going to be bringing home very much meat.

So, sit in a blind and wait. That is feasible, especially in whitetail country, so I bought a blind, and found out pretty quick that hunting like that just isn't my style. Hunting to me is about wandering around in the woods. Almost as important as killing a critter. ALSO, critters here in the west aren't creatures of habit, especially when hunting season starts and the woods are suddenly full of hunters.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Why don't those of you that are keen on x-bows find the correct Chinese factory for decent quality and group buy a container load?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,314 Times in 6,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
Crossbows became popular "back in the day" because they required far less training than vertical bows.
Even more importantly, those less trained soldiers were able to reach out further, and even punch armor with them, which typical bows couldn't even dent.

Yes, to all those bow expurts out there....we all know the English long bow could do amazing things....but the typical archer of the period was NOT using the English long bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry444 View Post
crossbow bolts are 1.50 at the wally world in our town after hunting season.
You MUST be talking the pistol length bolts...the full length bolts run $4 or more, and they NEVER drop that low in my AO.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

Just get a slingshot. Steel pellets aren't all that expensive to stock up and if you run out, you can use a rock. They are faster to load, also.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 AM
Survivor

Yes, you loos
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 AM
Survivor

Yes you loose a lot of arrows or bolts. But where I live/hunt there is also lots of rock, so you also break lots of equipment as well. Even trees or wire fences destroy projectiles. I have hit trees dead on and COULD NOT get the broadhead back. I've bent arrows hitting fences.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post

You MUST be talking the pistol length bolts...the full length bolts run $4 or more, and they NEVER drop that low in my AO.
Thanks ajole, I thought so. I surf the North american crossbow forums and have never seen bolts as cheap as $1.50. $4 plus the other bits and pieces not to mention broadheads is significant.

On another subject I don't think home made broadheads will be easy for crossbows. Apparently traditional or two edge designs tend to plane at crossbow velocities, hence why crossbows use their 3 or 4 blade designs etc.

I think all told a case for crossbows can be made as long as the shooter

Chooses the lower/mid power models to preserve limbs, wear and tear on other parts, and the bolts themselves.
Has a decent supply of these consumables on hand.
or has a traditional style with the skills to repair or remake parts or the bow completely.
Ability to buy or make enough of the most consumable of all spares,aka bolts
Considers it for intermittent use alongside something more practical like a firearm.

At the end of the day its just not as tough as a gun, aka metal wearing parts using a chemical reaction in a metal chamber and a disposable projectile. It uses a lot of soft, pliable or elastic items which are going to break faster than metal and also expects its projectiles to be recoverable.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Survivor

There used to be simple 3 blade broadheads available that just glued directly onto a tapered wooden shaft. They didn't cost much compared to all the new whiz bang heads. They weren't a lot of $. BUT, you had to sharpen them yourself.

I would think that crossbow bolts could be somewhat practical to make yourself using lumberyard dowels.Since bolts are a lot shorter than arrows you shouldn't have to worry about spline too much. When I was a kid I used to make arrows out of dowels that I used to shoot with a 50# recurve bow. They used to work , but I wasn't a good enough shot to be very discerning.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,040 Posts

billmac it would be interesting to see about wood. I asked around the crossbow forums and the general consensus is probably steer clear of it. I think its worth looking into for lower power bows maybe? My only crossbow is 260lb draw so I am not game to test anything in it but manufacturer spec bolts in deference to limb integrity and general safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
The reason I sold mine is because I HATED packing it around in the woods. Instead of a nice slim rifle now you have a three dimensional thing catching on everything. If you carry it ready to shoot, about every place around it is dangerous if it goes off accidentally. Can get in front of the limbs, can't get in front of the string.
Look at the steambow thread below. I watched the video and I was very impressed, it solves the problems you mentioned but the downside is the cost, not cheap!
Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 AM
Bowman

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
There used to be simple 3 blade broadheads available that just glued directly onto a tapered wooden shaft. They didn't cost much compared to all the new whiz bang heads. They weren't a lot of $. BUT, you had to sharpen them yourself.

I would think that crossbow bolts could be somewhat practical to make yourself using lumberyard dowels.Since bolts are a lot shorter than arrows you shouldn't have to worry about spline too much. When I was a kid I used to make arrows out of dowels that I used to shoot with a 50# recurve bow. They used to work , but I wasn't a good enough shot to be very discerning.
You can still get those kind of glue-on broadheads.

Zwickey still makes them.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/zwick...ds-3-pack.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,747 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
Those prices are interesting, are they quality bolts including broadheads at that price?? I'll run this by the North American crossbow forums I visit if so.
I always make a trip to WalMart after archery season whether I'm actively shooting my recurve or one of my 3 compounds or not.. Always nice to get great deals on arrows, broadheads, and target points so I can shoot them in my back yard into my archery target.

I usually pick up a certain type that is the same as I've picked up several times before, just so I have an overabundance of arrows and broadheads in case I lose or bend one. No need to adjust my sights if I just pull another arrow from my quiver.

'd say my $7 gun show special recurve is my go-to bow but, my Ted Nugent compound will be right there with it.

I'll be carrying a pistol for bad guys but, for putting squirrel in the pot or deer on the table, I'll use my bows. That way, no one else knows where I'm at.

My pistol, BTW, is a Ruger MK 1 in .22 long rifle. I put a 10" Paclite aluminum barrel with a steel sleeve inside and a scope on it to give me a fair chance at little critters for dinner.

For survival hunting, I really don't see me killing a deer or pig as then I have to find some way to keep it from rotting.. Couple of fox squirrels a day is more than enough to fill a stew pot to feed me and the missus and have some left over for my dogs.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 PM
hunter, survivor, patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Even more importantly, those less trained soldiers were able to reach out further, and even punch armor with them, which typical bows couldn't even dent......
No, the period crossbows were only effective at closer ranges. True, some had crazy draw weights, but they were SLOW! An experienced longbow archer could shoot off 10-12 arrows in the time it took a crossbow archer to shoot, pull string back, seat bolt, aim, and shoot again. And even though some munition grade crossbows had a almost 1,000lb pull, they had to be cocked with special cranking devices. Behind the ramparts of a castle, defending against an invading army, they are better than a longbow.

I have 2 crossbows, a Barnett Jackal, and Excalibur G340 Matrix. Both are good bows, but are heavy, loud (for a bow) and limited. A good longbow or recurve is better, since they quieter and simple. Just my 2.....
Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,150 Times in 3,197 Posts

I really don't see crossbows ( or any other type of archery for that matter) as a " post shtf" tool for hunting or security. Simply put......there are much better tools for either task, and where the stock pile/ cache/ training/ skillsets would be best focused towards.

And.....not just firearms with thier huge advantages via security as well as year around hunting iot have something to eat when you get hungry. Effective traps/ snares are very easy to create from items found in nature, can be made enmasse, work 24/7, and very easy to keep several dozen or more maintained while using them long term. ( Especially the types that are specific for small game, which in my expierience. ...is a much better return in meat obtained vs using firearms and especially any type of archery.) The real skill involved with trapping begins after one builds those traps.

As with crossbows...firearms take less training compared to other types of archery equipment, but lack in every other category....too include being quiet via suppressors and subsonic ammunition. In addition......try and use any archery equipment if one shoulder/ arm becomes injured. Not all that easy to do.

As to security......there is no contest in a firearm vs archery . No need to go into detail here.

On a side note: I have seen/ dumped quite a few feral pigs over the years with arrows/ bolts stuck in them, and they were very much alive and thriving up until that point. Fwiw.......none of those arrows/ bolts were even close to being able to be " re used". ( Dented shafts / broadheads don't fly with any consistent path whatsoever in my expierience.

One could stockpile/ cache " archery ammo" just fine, but then again.....the same can be done with rifle/ pistol ammunition.

Lastly....... The perceived advantages of making your own arrows/ bolts may sound good on paper, but not as practical in a post shtf environment imo. Time management becomes all the more important, and long story short......thier is better things to be doing than making arrows or bolts from scratch.

While a nice, fun, and challenging method for sport hunting, I for one would rather have better tools available if that was the priority for survival post shtf.......

Edit: One example ( photos below)
The rifle in first pic was used to drop the critter in 2nd pic with one shot at a tad over effective/ consistent range of any archery. ( 60 yards compared to a bit over 600 yards in this case). Yup....loud and violent, which aint all a bad thing if " bad guys" show up either. The 3rd pic shows a 22/45 LITE with can. Very quiet ( HV aint over the speed of sound thru this bbl), very compact too include ammo, easy to use with one hand, and 1000 rounds weigh 7.5 lbs

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	287492   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed goat.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	287494  
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Bows are good hunting weapons most of the time when people are telling you that they are not is because they won't spend the time to learn how to use them themselves they want instant gratification years ago I hunted with a recurve bow I would go to the woods take deer and hogs and see no one then the compound bow came out and I would see a few guy hunting but still only holding grouping like my receive bow then compound bows got better more hunters in the woods then cross bows and a ton of people in the woods trying to take deer at 90 yards for ever one deer killed 10 are wounded at that distance same with a gun Hunter people shooting at stuff way out of there shooting range just because a gun can shoot 300 to 400 yards don't mean you need to hunt at that distance.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,275 Posts

As I've said in a similar thread, bows / crossbows have their uses and advantages but they don't outweigh the disadvantages they have, and I'd only be using a bow SHTF if I have zero firearms, and I'd prefer something like a spear in many situations where someone might argue a bow makes sense.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post: