Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was your "Prep" for today? survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 37922 Today 11:20 AM
Can someone explain Liberalism? P-Dub Political News and Discussion 302 11-24-2017 12:21 PM
Taurus Curve 380 ACP 2.7" 6 Rd with Viridian Light/Laser from $289.99 shipped wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 09-13-2017 12:54 PM
Taurus Curve 380 ACP 2.7" 6rd with Viridian Light/Laser from $289.99 + Free Shipping wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 07-30-2017 07:20 PM
Taurus 180 curve pistol | 380 auto 6+1 rds black (1-180031) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 05-15-2017 04:07 PM

Old 01-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,691 Times in 796 Posts
Default Re-Curve

Advertise Here

Mr Guy,
He wasn't helpful. I said hello I'd like a recurve, I could hunt with, he was like you need to hunt with a 35# or more what's your price range. I ended getting a Fleetwood Monarch 62" in 40# draw weight.
Thing is it came took down in a "box". I asked about arrows he recommended the feathered type all he said and went back to work.
I was like. Dang! He was unhelpful. I get home instructions sucked. I read a fictional book and knew some from research in history. I managed to get it together and strung and unstrung without injury and about about 20min.
Thing is I've no arrows for it. They were pricy for the feathered type. 40 &up is what they had left..
I've used crossbow, long bow, and recurve bow some..
I own and used a crossbow. I borrowed the others briefly.
Any tips on why I've got use feathered ones?
Length of arrow? 29, 30 or 31?
Tip type? Broad head I guessed, could I use reapers like I've used with my crossbow?
Anything else Guy didn't tell me...

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 View Post
Mr Guy,
He wasn't helpful. I said hello I'd like a recurve, I could hunt with, he was like you need to hunt with a 35# or more what's your price range. I ended getting a Fleetwood Monarch 62" in 40# draw weight.
Thing is it came took down in a "box". I asked about arrows he recommended the feathered type all he said and went back to work.
I was like. Dang! He was unhelpful. I get home instructions sucked. I read a fictional book and knew some from research in history. I managed to get it together and strung and unstrung without injury and about about 20min.
Thing is I've no arrows for it. They were pricy for the feathered type. 40 &up is what they had left..
I've used crossbow, long bow, and recurve bow some..
I own and used a crossbow. I borrowed the others briefly.
Any tips on why I've got use feathered ones?
Length of arrow? 29, 30 or 31?
Tip type? Broad head I guessed, could I use reapers like I've used with my crossbow?
Anything else Guy didn't tell me...

Thanks
Forgive my typing on phone.
You need to get measured for your draw length. Ideally.
https://youtu.be/RdV8suofTsM
Video on how to measure draw length.
What kind of arrow fletching you use does not matter. Its personal preference (i prefer feathers because i make my own arrows cant make plastic)

Id buy field points to practice with. And onxe you find the point weigjt you kike best get matching weighted broadheads. They will perform similarly to the field points without breaking the bank
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,998 Times in 3,487 Posts

A very general rule of thumb...
Traditional=feather vanes
Compound=Plastic vanes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:

Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,331 Times in 11,457 Posts

like was said, you need to measure for draw length. you also need to set your nock bead.

I also make my own arrows, and prefer using feather, (I think it flies better) Girlchild has me on carbon fiber shafts for shooting with her, but i still use mine for hunting.
Broadheads, I use the Zwickey Eskimo and Eskilite, 2 blade style, 160 gr and 135 gr respectively with those i get a longer lifespan, reuseing before they get below required size for hunting in some states, South Carolina i am lucky no restrictions.

I also use Zwickey judo Points and Saunders field points

the carbon fiber feather fletched arrows i use a Victory Vforce, they are $89.95 for 12, and they last well. www.goprimalnow.com carries everything i need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
like was said, you need to measure for draw length. you also need to set your nock bead.

I also make my own arrows, and prefer using feather, (I think it flies better) Girlchild has me on carbon fiber shafts for shooting with her, but i still use mine for hunting.
Broadheads, I use the Zwickey Eskimo and Eskilite, 2 blade style, 160 gr and 135 gr respectively with those i get a longer lifespan, reuseing before they get below required size for hunting in some states, South Carolina i am lucky no restrictions.

I also use Zwickey judo Points and Saunders field points

the carbon fiber feather fletched arrows i use a Victory Vforce, they are $89.95 for 12, and they last well. www.goprimalnow.com carries everything i need.
I also use only 2 bladed points, curious tho how do you like the judos I have never used them.

mostly I try to make all my points either from mild steel or from glass/stone
The Following User Says Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 8,746 Times in 3,195 Posts

At the end of bow hunting season where you are you want to check Walmart
for clearances on Arrows.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Default judo points are excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
I also use only 2 bladed points, curious tho how do you like the judos I have never used them.

mostly I try to make all my points either from mild steel or from glass/stone
for small game, especially if your hunting open fields, a miss wont slide off and hide under the grass, work excellent on rabbit, quail if your accurate, as well as a dozen other fur and fowl game, best thing is they snag on surroundings, never lost one. ever.

ive been getting back into primitive knapping points as well, wish i had spent more time with my grandfather doing it in my youth, its a lil more difficult now, old fingers arnt as nimble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:
for small game, especially if your hunting open fields, a miss wont slide off and hide under the grass, work excellent on rabbit, quail if your accurate, as well as a dozen other fur and fowl game, best thing is they snag on surroundings, never lost one. ever.

ive been getting back into primitive knapping points as well, wish i had spent more time with my grandfather doing it in my youth, its a lil more difficult now, old fingers arnt as nimble.
I alwayse just used blunts
Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

I used to do the same, till i lost a few arrows in a uncut hayfield. dang leopard wood shafts and turkey feathers camouflage right in especially if its tall. and at 40$ for 6 shafts from Forrester wood shafts,(roughly) I didn't want to waste any more of em than i absolutely had to, on small game, so i decided to try the Judo tip. hadn't lost one since.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,740 Times in 771 Posts

D2
With a 500 grn arrow&broad head it looks like you will be around 160/170 FPS at 29". That is plenty speed for hunting. I'd beaver ball my string an add limb saver glue on dampeners to the bow limbs. Place them where the string just touches them at each end. These two add-ons will get you a very quite bow as long as your arrows are spinned correctly. Archery is great if your tackle is setup properly. If you fail to match arrows up with the bow or do not have the correct string you will just be playing. There are a ton of books on archery and I imagine a lot of info on your tube to read/watch. A trip to a good archery shop would get you shooting correctly.

Enjoy your new bow
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwtrapper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Prepared

What everyone else said plus find another archery shop to spend your money
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grizz12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

I was going to add a flemish twist string, but thats only because i like em, different tastes may vary.
good place for info and products,
www.3riversarchery.com bought from them before, never had a issue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:53 PM
I love this forum

With respect, if you're asking these questions, you should not remotely entertain hunting. I'm sure you're just thinking ahead and, like all of us, just planning and prepping, but please, don't hunt until you're Good and comfortable with archery.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 PM

If you are shooting off a the shelf of that curve then it is feathers only. If you anticipate using some kind of stick on rest you can try vanes and see if they work with your rest. With that bow you can successfully shoot wood aluminum or carbon.
With my longbows and recurves I only shoot and hunt with wood. Two bladed broadhead. Works beautifully. If you hook up with a traditional guy you can learn real quick. For arrows there are several arrowsmiths out there. You can also hook up with one of the traditional shops and get all you need to make your own.
It's a good thing
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Willy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,998 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
I was going to add a flemish twist string, but thats only because i like em, different tastes may vary.
good place for info and products,
www.3riversarchery.com bought from them before, never had a issue.
I use Dacron B50 and make my own Flemish strings. I built a jig to get the starting string length right and keep the strands of Dacron organized until I could twist them together. I haven't made a string in a while although it's kind of like riding a bicycle...

The thing with a Flemish string is that it is tunable to the bow where as a continuous loop string can be wound up shortening is length, however it can only be let out to it's original length, which limits tuning. String length comes into play when one is looking for the optimal string height from the riser, which is why the Flemish string is more versatile than the continuous loop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I used to do the same, till i lost a few arrows in a uncut hayfield. dang leopard wood shafts and turkey feathers camouflage right in especially if its tall. and at 40$ for 6 shafts from Forrester wood shafts,(roughly) I didn't want to waste any more of em than i absolutely had to, on small game, so i decided to try the Judo tip. hadn't lost one since.
Making shafts is pretty easy. No need to spend that kind of cash.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post
Making shafts is pretty easy. No need to spend that kind of cash.
one of my lil "luxuries " I salvage my feathers, mostly wild turkey , abundant round here, but the leopard wood dont warp, shatter (as easy as some woods) and i just like the flight, and the natural coloration.never had a bad one come in.

course, that's coming from someone who buys 90% of their clothing from a thrift shop, and drives a now 18 year old truck .

and i will splurge on a knife every now and again......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard_Wood .jpg
Views:	39
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	247394  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
one of my lil "luxuries " I salvage my feathers, mostly wild turkey , abundant round here, but the leopard wood dont warp, shatter (as easy as some woods) and i just like the flight, and the natural coloration.never had a bad one come in.

course, that's coming from someone who buys 90% of their clothing from a thrift shop, and drives a now 18 year old truck .

and i will splurge on a knife every now and again......
straightening a shafts pretty easy but they dont really warp after you make em, I tend towards using river cane or rose vines.rose wood is actually amazing for arrows. slight taper already round long and just needs some straightening

here is a very good tutorial on the subject of making arrows from rose bushes just tell the wife its cause you love her and you prune it regularly to maintain it. win for you win for her lol

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pale...al-t21933.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to богдан For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,691 Times in 796 Posts

Dang message was lost.
Can you use the wrist string lock?
And can one make arrows out of the walmart dowel wooden rods?
Im about 6'3" would the 31" arrows be considered ok with the Fleetwood archery Monarch 40# 62" recurve T/D Bow..??
Ive read about bows in history, and fictional books, and i used a couple bows before, briefly, and during Hunter safety course ..

Yes a good bow is a good idea in shtf. I agree.
And ive time between now and bow hunting season to learn how to shoot well. Research, investigate, and try to learn, im in Alachua co Area of Florida i know people who have compounds and Crossbows and go to shops and just pull them out, then hunt and put them up. Thats why i had a crossbow. But i wanted quick reloads too, and a traditional not compound. 1 Army principle is K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid, compounds have cams, gears, and are complicated to fix alone. And i like the traditional way, since ive tested some. But i admit im a beginner with traditional recurve and longbow styles. If it shoots i seem to like it
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 View Post
Dang message was lost.
Can you use the wrist string lock?
And can one make arrows out of the walmart dowel wooden rods?
Im about 6'3" would the 31" arrows be considered ok with the Fleetwood archery Monarch 40# 62" recurve T/D Bow..??
Ive read about bows in history, and fictional books, and i used a couple bows before, briefly, and during Hunter safety course ..

Yes a good bow is a good idea in shtf. I agree.
And ive time between now and bow hunting season to learn how to shoot well. Research, investigate, and try to learn, im in Alachua co Area of Florida i know people who have compounds and Crossbows and go to shops and just pull them out, then hunt and put them up. Thats why i had a crossbow. But i wanted quick reloads too, and a traditional not compound. 1 Army principle is K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid, compounds have cams, gears, and are complicated to fix alone. And i like the traditional way, since ive tested some. But i admit im a beginner with traditional recurve and longbow styles. If it shoots i seem to like it
Yes you can but.....

you need to spine them and check for grain run out... if you dont you can end up with an arrow shaft in your for arm

i like using natures pre made shafts or splitting my own from logs

and what about a wrist string lock?

generally 30+ is longbow territory and not highly recommended for most factory bows unless they are made for a longbow type draw length