Project: black powder pistol Lunes Black powder 1 11-01-2016 10:06 AM

Old 01-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,324 Times in 3,811 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhunter89 View Post
drobs,

Those 1858s in the top picture? Reminds me of the scene in pale rider when Clint Eastwood does his reload in the final gunfight. Love it.

DOL
Yes Sir. I bought the full length 1858 back in 2001 + a Kirst 45 Colt Conversion cylinder while living in Illinois. Had it shipped straight to my door - no FOID card / paperwork required. Fired it a couple time with 45 Colt and shelved it. Action is/was gritty.

If nothing else it could be used as a really expensive "off paper / drop gun."

Finally had the member Flinter on here walk me through firing it with Pyrodex, Cap, and Ball in 2013. Got hooked. Just a ton of fun. I compare it to combining shooting with 4th of July Fireworks.

SHTF - good handout gun (along with the rest of them that I can't carry). Lately (last 2 to 3 years) I find I enjoy shooting BP more than cartridge firearms. So it allows me to shoot and save regular ammo.

No cost savings as BP retail components are more expensive than cartridge ammo. Tooling up - aka the equipment / components needed for BP (powder flask, powder measure, caps, powder, ball, etc) is significantly more expensive than buying a $200 Hi Point and a $10 box of ammo. But it's fun and I'd rather own another $200 C&B revolver than a Hi Point.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,368 Times in 6,256 Posts

I got mine a few years back. As little as I shoot it, at the load I use, the brass frame is all I need.

Don't worry...I have the Hi Points as well...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Hiker

Thanked 2,169 Times in 509 Posts

A 1858 New Army Pietta I picked up (unfired) almost a year ago, only shot it a few times and loved it, really fun. Bought it before the prices apparently dropped. Gave $250 for it and the prices on Cabelas website was like $350 IIRC, because I remember thinking to myself that I got an extra cylinder with it which would have put me at their price had I bought it separately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1858 New Army.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	247282
The Following User Says Thank You to funjunky For This Useful Post:

Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Trapper

I have a few revolver pistols they are so cool to shoot and makes me really respect the men and women that carried those things.

I want to get a Walker and a Dragoon but can't find them locally.

For a SHTF they are a good idea, it won't be the first thing I pick up but after a while ammo will be really hard to find and these things will keep working. You can easily put 2-3 jars of powder in a safe place and get a mold for casting bullets.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM

If you are prepping for the worst and you have the luxury of a permanent base of operations, you'd be well advised to ensure that you have all alternatives for certain things covered - ie weapons. A black powder pistol is an ideal choice especially if you are already loading and shooting a black powder rifle. But I wouldn't stop there, a cross bow, long bow sling shot should also be in your arsenal. Just like you'd have battery operated lights, kerosene lanterns, and candles for lighting diversifying your weaponry is always a good option
Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,792 Posts

Whole lot more that a $150 buck on sale pistol.....

Ruger Old Army...with conversion cylinder....

So consider.... BP cylinder...
Cap and ball or cap conical bullet

Conversion cylinder....
.45 LC.....with smokeless powder...or black powder.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post: