Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blowguns; Production and Hunting. Fredthethird Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 14 09-09-2014 01:14 AM
DIY Blowguns Ordog Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 11 08-02-2014 03:32 AM
Blowguns (Please dont let Evolves see this thread) Fredthethird Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 24 11-06-2011 09:21 PM
Now I find out blowguns are illegal in Calif. a1bigtuna Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 34 10-31-2011 12:55 PM
Blowguns anyone? Watchdog Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 7 07-21-2011 03:09 PM
Blowguns camerongcb Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 31 07-15-2009 05:06 AM
Blowguns mike97878 Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 13 03-04-2009 04:26 AM

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Another blowgunner here. I learned how to make and shoot the Cherokee style rivercane blowgun and thistle fletched dart from an old NDN man in Tahlequah, Oklahoma during the Cherokee National Holiday many years ago.

I was surprised how easy it was to learn to shoot accurately with them. I came home with one that he made, and taught a friend what I learned. He was quite taken with it and since then has made and used a good many blowguns and darts in various primitive living skills demonstrations.

These primitive blowguns are amazingly powerful and were traditionally used by the Cherokee to kill raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, and birds, including turkeys.

I believe it. I have not used my blowgun for hunting (yet) but I have nailed many targets at 40 to 60 feet with ease.

Although I make my darts with traditional thistle down "fletching," so far I have made the shaft out of bamboo skewers rather making traditional ones out of hand hewn long wood splinters (which takes about 20-30 minutes each to make).

If anyone would like more info about making traditional Cherokee blowguns and darts, I can point you in the right direction. Just ask.
Could u PM me information in regards to the traditional ways? I am interested in learning.
Thank you.
Ryan
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,049 Times in 540 Posts

vetryan15, I will PM and post the info here too.

I should have posted more info in my previous post, but didn't have time/gumption to hunt for the links (especially not knowing if anyone would be interested).

Here they are, the best of the best I have found on the internet so far. (If anyone knows of better ones, please post them!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxIA1zWbZM

thistle blowgun dart
--------------------------
https://sensiblesurvival.org/2011/05...-darts-part-1/

https://sensiblesurvival.org/2011/05...-darts-part-2/

https://sensiblesurvival.org/2011/05...-cane-blowgun/

-----------------------------
another excellent tutorial

https://exarc.net/issue-2013-3/at/hu...guns-and-darts

-----------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySjOxBJ0AEQ

blowgun / dart basics from Culture Keeper

I was sorely disappointed in the lack of online info about the fletching. The few videos Out There are not exactly clear about the technique of getting the thistle down onto the dart shaft. (Their big ol' hands were in the way of a clear view!)

I think I need to make a Youtube video or something... but until then, you may be able to figure out the process from those links. Keep practicing! Don't give up. At first I was "all thumbs" but soon got the hang of fletching my darts. Fortunately, making and using the blowgun itself is fun and easy.

I have several different sizes of blowguns. The longer they are, the easier it is to shoot long-distance targets accurately. But, I prefer my shorties and practiced enough so that I am quite accurate with them. A two-foot long piece of river cane is easier to pack and use than a five-footer, any day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Black Powder Survivalist

Thanked 6,157 Times in 3,025 Posts

I tried a blowgun years ago, but could never seem to get good with the thing. For those who like them, I say more power to them. Its a great primitive weapon & would come in handy in a survival situation.

I decided to just stick with my longbow & recurve, as I know what I am doing with these weapons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroyeror View Post
I was looking at blowguns today, what do you recommend as a good hunting blowgun brand (as in something that will last and is durable), and what calibre is recommend for hunting. I plan on hunting small game. Also remember I'm on a budget. After a quick search on Amazon I came up with this in particular. If any one wants to share experience advice it is welcome.

Thanks

Amazon.com: Predator - Black 18" .40 Cal. Blowgun w/ Sharp Wire Dart Setup: Sports & Outdoors

&

Amazon.com: Avenger .40 Cal. Broadhead Hunting Darts - 100 pcs: Sports & Outdoors
The best I ever found was the .625 Magnum Blowgun put out by JR Stupero Company. I think they went OOB like ten years ago. Might be some used ones floating around, as mine is still built like a tank after like 15-20 years of regular use. I hear the Cold Steel Big Bore .625 Magnum Blowguns are like the top shelf now, but never used one so can't say if it is as good as mine. Basically you want something made hefty, so it don't bend in a backpack...wouldn't hurt if it's a breakdown (2-piece) model.

As for the poison question, it don't take a genius to figure out how to make something up. Just have to choose something that don't contaminate the meat. You don't even need it if you're after birds or fish.