Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's Read The Bible In A Year maintenanceguy Religious Discussion 33 01-01-2017 09:43 PM
Personal testimony from this election (long read) Freethinkin'Man Political News and Discussion 13 11-29-2016 08:47 AM
Rules ~kev~ Rules and Guidelines 2 05-15-2007 03:55 AM

Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 AM
The Hammer & Anvil

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,846 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default Long Post. Please Read If You Visit This Sub-Forum

Advertise Here

Since I stepped back from the SB HF net due to health issues I needed to get under control I have noticed in my lurking here in this sub-forum that things have become particularly divided and non-inclusive.

This is counter productive to the site, to sub-forum and for anyone that is truly looking for "options". Amateur radio has its place. I will advocate for it until the day I die. But I would have to be a half-cocked arrogant dude to assume that it is the only solution, or that it is right for every single person with the beheld common interest that this site represents.

Discussion of actual truly by the letter of the law illegal activities aside. I really think that the three communities that reside in this subforum would do better for each other by embracing the differences in needs and abilities. Those people being uninitiated, hams, and people who favor the other radio services available.

I am ashamed of any ham that goes automatically to the lowest common denominator and invokes the cb or non-ham people are less of a person/operator than they are. Let's get real. Re-read everything above this again until you understand my point here.

Fact is some of the major prepper related networks are inclusive. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? And promote a cross radio services approach. You know redundancy.... Because not everyone has the time, inclination, ability, or fiscal wherewithal to go balls out into ham radio.

All this said. All hams need to do to see this problem is look into our own volunteer organizations and the state of our services and hobbies. They are not healthy. Nuff said. Let's not bring what makes those services what they are due to the bad apples here and air it out on non hams.

CB is a real and valid communications solution. GMRS and FRS and MURS are also equally valid and useful and worthwhile communication solutions. There is no one thing fits all for a real shtf. Take a look at a real EOC and you will soon realize more than ham radio is involved.

I'm an amateur extra, I know code. I build and experiment with RF related electronics. I operate portable and mobile. I would never talk down to someone that is into GMRS or FRS or MURS or CB or just an avid listening enthusiast whether that be SWL or local infrastructure and digital services. All are equally useful and valid. Get over yourselves.

I would ask that both sides lay down the stereotypes and malignant attitudes. If you have a problem with someone please just use the /ignore feature. Instead of responding to someone who is clearly causing a problem use the report post feature. Do not drag the drama out for all to see and because nauseated with. The moderators will cure the problem trust me when I say this. As a former moderator and staffer for this site I can't tell you how many simple disagreements or lack of emotional conveyance in this text has ended up causing so much anguish and lament. Stop it. Do not respond. Stop being passive aggressive.

We are here to learn from each other. Everyone has some kind of experience or knowledge to offer others. We are one of the most viewed forums on the internet much less within our given niche. This is the Communications sub forum, not the darkside, and not a place to play out petty vindictive vendettas because the toys you choose to play with are better than everyone elses in your opinion. They are all equally valid.

Let's take a moment and think about the advice given to us by our parents or clergy or where ever. If you don't have anything kind to say do not say anything.

While making groups is great, I'd like to see open discussion here in the forum itself. All inclusive. That is not to say great things can't happen in group because they can. But those are not searchable by search engines indexing the site. We could miss bringing more into the fold or answer an obscure question one of us has innate experience with.

Seriously. Let's be a communications team. Let's learn from our networks and share ideas so we can become more proficient operators or better listeners. Most of all lets be better human beings to each other.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

Wow. The voice of reason.

Communicators communicating with each other.

Such a novel concept. I wonder if it will ever catch on.

Like any field there are many areas and niche segments. Some are to the letter. Some are average everyday good enough. Then there's always the less than legal/ blatantly illegal.

I'll just say that by flaming those that are on the edge, nobody is doing any favors.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Survivor

Ben, very well said. I have been a lurker here for a long time and do not post very often. It has amazed me the way that some hams have treated others that are not licensed. ALL forms of communication are important and have their place.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fuzzgruby For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Certified Organic Grower

Thanked 11,001 Times in 3,387 Posts

Excellent post OP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeftCoast Grower For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,064 Times in 4,568 Posts

You're not a joiner are you? That kind of behavior is very common in groups. Really doesn't matter what group. You're either in the clique or a pariah.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 11:27 AM
The Hammer & Anvil

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,846 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
You're not a joiner are you? That kind of behavior is very common in groups. Really doesn't matter what group. You're either in the clique or a pariah.
I'm a free man. I come and go as I please, or as is required. I am an open book and speak plainly. I'm willing to help anyone who does not play the know it all card. And I'm the first to admit when I am wrong, and do my best to correct the error and learn the thing properly that is in question.

I refuse to be apart of any of the cliques in any walk of my life. I have very few people I'd call friends, but I do try to leave a lasting impression on those that come into my life and help them towards their own goals with whatever experience or knowledge I could share to their benefit.

I stopped worrying about "groups" and "cliques" when I realized the old saying: "Smart people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, stupid people talk about other people". If you measure your relationships and interactions based on those. You can control the amount of stupid in your life quite well.

N4AXE - Ben
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,679 Posts

Ben, I wish you well health wise. Also, thank you for your post. I'm a big lurker on this sub forum. And from my perspective as a mostly silent uninitiated observer, you have valid points.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
It can certainly appear that way, true.
And the same is true once you key the mic. You might be an airwave pariah, too. Every group can become - or start - exactly that way.

The OP gave a good speech. It was full of virtue and noble thinking. This also is very common in groups. Really doesn't matter what group. No one starts out to be snide and unfair.

As always, the true test will come when these values are challenged. Do we believe in Freedom? or just in MY Freedom? Do we believe in 'sharing opinion'? or do we believe in agreeing with MY opinion? Those questions, IMO, are what separates the heart from the mouth.

Geezer, you've got a point. I've seen a forum that advertised itself as "the FRIENDLY" forum. They have a fat-southern-sheriff-type of moderator that cannot be disagreed with no matter what, lest ye be banished. Words are not actions.

We'll see how this goes.

DS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dyingslower For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,342 Times in 3,466 Posts

Want harmony? Start a Baofeng sub-forum. Discussion of that brand of radio is the root cause of many conflicts. It's worse than Hi-Point discussions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deadmeat99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 2,191 Times in 830 Posts

Any community is like that, as a Navy CT we had rivalry with other tech / commo rates as they did with us. It human nature , there are those among us that will complain , argue and hold true to their belief no matter what.

But as often said, it is what it is..

Buds piece was spot on and should be pinned as a sticky not only for com section but the board.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [_]ni/\/\og For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 11:33 PM

With the exception of only a very few - I feel that I am more qualified than just about anyone I know of in here…

I have zero patience when it comes to suffering The Company-of-Fools, ( and will happily and willingly continue to cop infractions for 'schooling' any Muppet in here - who just won't be told… )

I will only allow common-sense and irrefutable fact to dictate my input, here on SB.

Understand - I hold the highest order of Ham Ticket upon three continents of this fine planet of ours - And yet, will happy show zero restraint and punch flat 'any Ham-Muppet', who insists on carrying on 'like a pork chop' in here.

I feel that the only thing really important here on SB - is to hold all submissions and Postings made, accountable to whether they are genuinely factually correct and good reliable advice, per Pre-and-Post-SHTF.

For example, if someone in here stated that the only way to wash your Dishes and Cutlery Post-SHTF, would be to wash said pieces in Diesel - then Yep, as far as I'm concerned - you're 'Fair Game' for ridicule…

A little 'razz', 'stir', 'smack' and 'punch' - ( when handing out 'the necessary discipline' ) - I feel, keeps this particular Sub-Forum - not only factually correct and a dependable source of information - but also a little more 'colourful' and interesting of a read to boot…

Ben, I appreciate your sentiment - I truly do -

But Mate, only the facts - as they should - should ever really be the issue at hand here.

Any idiot attempting to draw any line in the sand - based purely upon their own 'feelings of relevance', because they already hold a Ham Ticket - ( when someone else does not ), already risks facing my kick-arse wrath -

So rest easy Champ -

That's my stance - and go suck it, to anyone else who disagrees…

As I've always said ;

Poster's BEWARE - Reader's BE WARY!

Me - OUT,
(c;=

Last edited by Nunya-Biz; 02-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: Damn 'Typo's' - ( Read; Damn 'Red Wine'… )
The Following User Says Thank You to Nunya-Biz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Junior Member 2011

Well said Ben.
Jack
KM4QJY
The Following User Says Thank You to Optouter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,495 Times in 5,592 Posts

Good post and I see it has been made a stickie, which says a lot.

I admit to being one of the Baofeng users who fights back, although I try to always do it with civility. It get's hard though - some on the other side just can't shake the clique.

I do ask questions of the hams (about non-ham subjects) because a lot of them here are more knowledgeable than me, but I can't stand it when their answer is, "Get the ham license and then you will know!" Which is not really true. I deal with it, but I have a feeling that a lot of members don't post at all because of that attitude.

Hoping that we can all talk to each other with respect. Then maybe more members will post!

BTW why is the Comms section a subforum of Urban Survival?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 04:57 PM
African Bush and Beaches

All forms of radio communications should be respected.

Never rely on just a mobile phone. It will be the first system that will crash. Try to make a call over a festive period. The networks are all overloaded.

We had a major flood that cut off a town years ago. CB operators saved the day. The military had to commandeer the CB's because they did not have those frequencies on their systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to zr1pja For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,747 Times in 945 Posts

Ham Radio is recognized by the State of Alaska as the primary means of getting help during the 1964 earthquake. They still give vehicle licensing privileges to Hams with a General or above license that has a radio capable of operating on at least 5 bands in their vehicles. Basically, you get a call sign license plate and registration is only $10 a year. A lot of states should follow that example. CB Radio is rapidly dying off and if something isn't done soon, I think Ham radio will soon follow in it's footsteps.

As for the CB versus Ham argument, I have both in my truck, along with a police scanner. I've can have them all on at the same time and usually only hear things on the police/fire frequencies and that's mainly because it's their job. Then when I do hear a conversation on a repeater, I think "Why don't they just call each other on the phone?" Leave the repeaters available for real world events or mobile comms.

Just the other day, I was trying to help a stranded motorist that had been stuck in a rest area since the day before because they ran out of gas. I made several calls into the repeater network asking for assistance, no response. I figured I was just on the outskirts of the band so I moved closer to the highway and finally made contact, no help offered. Then a YL came on and asked that we stop the communications because they were barely readable in the local town just down the road. That totally amazed me about her attitude and her sense of helping the community. I sure hope I run into her person one of these days or hear her asking for help..

The biggest problem when you actually hear someone on CB is all the "tweaked" radios they're using running hundreds of watts of power. Chances are, the only one that can respond to them from a long distance away would be someone else with the same setup. There goes the band. If you were using it talking to someone trying to follow you, there's not much you can do about it as the offenders tend to bleed all over bands on both sides of the one they're talking on. Follow the laws like ham radio ops do and it might make a comeback someday.

Proof that CB's aren't being used is on the news in the winter when you see a huge snowstorm slamming the NE and there goes a trucker sliding into a 50 car pileup. If they were using CB's, that number would be a lot less.

But, on the flip side, try and call someone in the open on 146.52 and the crickets won't even respond and that call is reaching out a lot farther than most "tweaked" CB's.

As for the Bao-Fengs, once they make them comply with FCC regulations, I think you'll see the prices go up a bit.

I don't own one and never plan to but, from what I've heard, they talk out of their assigned band quite easily.. I may be wrong but, it was on the Internet so it has to be true..
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Prepared

I am part of a local group. What kind of group it is fundamentally is not germane to this discussion. But our plan involves using ham, CB, and GMRS radio in the event of a regional or national communications failure.

Yes, as our group's ham, I have a special niche in reaching out there with my listening capabilities to capture the news of what is going on. But then the plan calls for me to use my CB and GMRS radios to pass it on to others.

Others in our group have talents of other kinds and would only be frustrated if they had to dealwith the many directions that ham can take. Flexibility comes at a price when we are talking about modes of communications. But them so does simplicity.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,747 Times in 945 Posts

I guess one of the main reasons I'm not in the local amateur radio club is because I have both ham radio and CB in my truck and I'd hate for a hamster to give me any crap because I have a CB. I also have a scanner in the truck for listening to police and fire but, no one would ever say anything bad about that.

My ham rigs will scan bands if I want to but, I primarily just monitor the local 2 meter traffic to see if anyone needs any help but, usually all I ever here is overly long conversations that would be more suitable on a cell phone call, thereby freeing up the repeater for other uses.

They have multiple clubs using the same repeater and they have "check-in" at least once a week from every club. Does that really need to happen? I can't see any reason to check in to a "net" on 2 meters. To me, nets should be on HF bands, that way you can see what the conditions are like and get a good idea of what kind of contacts you ca get from those regions.

The repeater coverage in this town is some of the worst I've ever heard. It's not that large of an area and I'd love to stop by and take a l ook at the actual setup. Is it a simple vertical on the roof of some guys house or is it mounted on some of the small hills surrounding the area here. I've hear countless times where someone has to step in and help someone else make a contact because of the poor repeater coverage.

Oh well.. I've got enough spare 2 meter mobiles, I ought to put up my own repeater and small tower to see if I can make a difference. I wish I could get my old repeater guru from Fairbanks to come down and set up a decent repeater for me. That guy is amazing at what he can do with radio modifications and repeaters.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
I guess one of the main reasons I'm not in the local amateur radio club is because I have both ham radio and CB in my truck and I'd hate for a hamster to give me any crap because I have a CB. I also have a scanner in the truck for listening to police and fire but, no one would ever say anything bad about that.
Ignore them. I do.