Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 11:57 AM
Living full time in a RV Woodswalker General Discussion 36 02-13-2017 08:33 AM
*Official* Hurricane Matthew Thread - Gut check time for FL, GA and both Carolinas Justme11 Manmade and Natural Disasters 791 11-08-2016 05:20 PM

Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Advertise Here

I doubt Idaho will be overrun. There is one region of Idaho with the lowest elevation, the deepest canyon in N.A., 9,000 foot mountains, the lowest population growth, climate in many areas very similar the Puget Sound Basin (Just not as many cloudy days.), lots of fresh water, and probably the highest gun ownership.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,147 Times in 2,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
I doubt Idaho will be overrun. There is one region of Idaho with the lowest elevation, the deepest canyon in N.A., 9,000 foot mountains, the lowest population growth, climate in many areas very similar the Puget Sound Basin (Just not as many cloudy days.), lots of fresh water, and probably the highest gun ownership.
That would be Hells Canyon in Nez Perce county near where I live. The population is growing faster these days, but we are still just barely passing 1.6 million people in the state and most of them live in the cities. Nez Perce county has a population of 40k in an area of just over 800 square miles and 32k of those people live in Lewiston. To put that into perspective that is an average of about 10 people per square mile outside Lewiston.

Latah county where I am just above Nez Perce has a population of 39K in 1,000 square miles 25K of which live in Moscow. Moscow is the location of the University of Idaho and 15 miles away you have the the University of Washington. It is a great area to live in.

As far as gun ownership and gunrights go, even the liberal democrats here all own firearms and are gun rights advocates. Pretty much everyone here owns a firearm, a few years back I was at the White Pine market in town and there was a crippled up old lady ahead of me buying some groceries. She had to be about 75 and her hands were so crippled up she had trouble getting the money out of her wallet. She was decked out from head to toe in camo and talking about the Bull Elk she had missed a shot on that morning out hunting, all I could do was grin and think "only in Idaho"...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2018, 01:54 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 5,854 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post
Washington State Law makers are at it again. I went to their website to see how many bills there are in judicial review. There are like 9. We have to do something but with the state basically in the control of 3 counties. I just don't know how much longer I can live here.

I am a fairly successful individual. I spend a lot of money in Washington that goes to these idiots. Maybe if enough of the talent leaves and takes their tax money with them they will get the picture? Or will we just be backfilled by Californians.
Texas is calling you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Neut Anderson For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
That would be Hells Canyon in Nez Perce county near where I live. The population is growing faster these days, but we are still just barely passing 1.6 million people in the state and most of them live in the cities. Nez Perce county has a population of 40k in an area of just over 800 square miles and 32k of those people live in Lewiston. To put that into perspective that is an average of about 10 people per square mile outside Lewiston.

Latah county where I am just above Nez Perce has a population of 39K in 1,000 square miles 25K of which live in Moscow. Moscow is the location of the University of Idaho and 15 miles away you have the the University of Washington. It is a great area to live in.

As far as gun ownership and gunrights go, even the liberal democrats here all own firearms and are gun rights advocates. Pretty much everyone here owns a firearm, a few years back I was at the White Pine market in town and there was a crippled up old lady ahead of me buying some groceries. She had to be about 75 and her hands were so crippled up she had trouble getting the money out of her wallet. She was decked out from head to toe in camo and talking about the Bull Elk she had missed a shot on that morning out hunting, all I could do was grin and think "only in Idaho"...
University of Washington? You meant Washington State University. UW is in Seattle.That mistake would be enough to get you flogged on either campus.

What is the country around Orofino like? I've been looking at property in that area online. Lots of beautiful places at reasonable prices.

Happy Easter!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle9 View Post
University of Washington? You meant Washington State University. UW is in Seattle.That mistake would be enough to get you flogged on either campus.

What is the country around Orofino like? I've been looking at property in that area online. Lots of beautiful places at reasonable prices.

Happy Easter!

The area around Orofino is gorgeous, there is a lot of timber in that area. I used to go down there and run the new logging roads and look for smokey quartz crystals. I have found individual crystals as big 6 inches around and 6 to 8 inches tall. It is a great area, has many ponds around and small lakes as well as the the big reservoir, all have good fishing. Loaded with elk and deer and moose. Incredible area for hunting, hiking, camping and fishing.

Between logging, ranching, farming and the Orofino prison there tends to be plenty of work around the area as well. Cost of living is low and land is reasonably priced, Idaho is pretty laid back when it comes to building codes and the people themselves tend to be pretty laid back in general.

I can't imagine you ever regretting once in your life having moved there.

As for the univeristy in Pullman I guess I will have to make sure to referr to it as WSU like everyone else does, I didn't realize there was another college in Washington with a similar name. Blame it on my lack of a college education I guess... lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2018, 11:53 PM

I'm not trying to be a jerk but, you didn't know there was a University of Washington?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle9 View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but, you didn't know there was a University of Washington?
I was unaware that the University of Washington and Washington state University were two different colleges. I assumed it was two different ways of stating the name of the same college. I am pretty certain that there are a lot more colleges than that, that I am unaware of....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I was unaware that the University of Washington and Washington state University were two different colleges. I assumed it was two different ways of stating the name of the same college. I am pretty certain that there are a lot more colleges than that, that I am unaware of....
Haha! Me too. During March Madness, I see small schools I've never heard of before.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,531 Times in 2,070 Posts

Move to a Red State and live where there is more freedom
Here in the Missouri Ozarks we have maximum freedom
I value freedom above all else
Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Idaho is a beautiful state!

Last edited by Self Reliant; 06-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Realized its irrelavent to discussion.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Don't mind me...

Location: Somewhere, everywhere, inside and outside the confines.

So I just wintered in N. Idaho after revisiting my childhood home of W. WA and being just disgusted by it. I am weak and could only bear to spend a few weeks there but if you can stick it out, you should but I wouldn't blame you one bit for escaping that zoo.

What did I see in N. Idaho? A lot of good old fashioned Idahoans, some flatlanders but a ton of "Apple maggots," Texans and Calis that came up there to escape their states but didn't change their ways. Idaho state's government is ran almost entirely by the more Mormon S. Idaho which is a completely different world than N. ID, It's still red as a whole but it will be lost cause soon just like Colorado because of the immigrants coming from the captured territories to the West.

To any looking to relocate to ID(or any other free-er state) leave all your WA ways behind you or you and many like you will just turn ID into an extension of East WA no better than what you were running from. That's something I really don't want to see but it's already in progress, over the past decade Idaho has changed a lot.

Not just me saying it many locals agree, like the comment on this article about transfer stations(what the article doesn't touch on is how much trash is dumped in the woods...)
http://www.cdapress.com/local_news/2...and_disorderly
Quote:
Too many people here already, its basically ruined - North LA
The Following User Says Thank You to minimotos95 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 31,997 Times in 7,732 Posts

I've also looked at the PNW as a long-term home. It does have the advantages of water, with very high annual rainfall. And it's geographically far away from the hostile Southern border. Those are the only two advantages of the region. One might also say that Oregon's lack of a sales tax, or Washington's lack of a income tax, are "advantages." But in reality, every state has a mixture of taxes and you're gonna end up paying taxes in some way (unless you have a unique situation or some loopholes where there's a clear benefit to you).

There are many serious disadvantages, both man made and geographic/natural.

Man made - Politics. The region is very leftist and moving further and faster in that direction. Oregon and Washington state are chasing California's nonsense gun and environmental laws. These states are lead by morons who put illegals and homeless ahead of hard working tax payers.

Guns: I place a high premium on gun rights as a very important liberty for survival purposes. The PNW is very hostile toward gun rights. These areas have various laws or constantly threatening laws that include some or a mix of mandatory gun sale background checks (de facto registration), waiting periods, gun/magazine bans proposed every legislative term, mandatory lock-up your guns laws proposed often, bump stock bans proposed or enacted, and so forth.

Other: Bans or restrictions on wood burning, water collecting, and other similar issues. These areas are becoming very hostile to the individual independent person, such as bans or tracking of your individual driving habits or punishing you with high gasoline taxes, etc.

Environmental: The area is dotted with volcanic peaks, about every 50 miles straight up the coast from N California to N. Washingon. I believe there are 20 volcanoes. These could ruin your day if you happen to be near-ish one. Even if you don't have a direct impact, other fleeing residents might loot you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Volcanoes

While not a immediate threat, there's also the fault line in the PNW called the subduction zone. Dunno how that factors into a real threat but a big quake could create a massive tsunami that would devastate the coastal areas and push a lot of people eastward like locusts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

Quote:
In 2009, some geologists predicted a 10% to 14% probability that the Cascadia Subduction Zone will produce an event of magnitude 9.0 or higher in the next 50 years.[20] In 2010, studies suggested that the risk could be as high as 37% for earthquakes of magnitude 8.0 or higher[21][22]
Old 06-25-2018, 02:44 PM

Default move to Idaho

Quote:

According to the online city/data site, census shows that only one area in Idaho is growing very little and that is probably because there is no interstate nearby. North Central Idaho, made up of 5 or 6 counties is that area. I've always been amazed that Lewiston has grown so little. Good climate, close to forested areas, lots of water at the junction of two large rivers.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The area around Orofino is gorgeous, there is a lot of timber in that area. I used to go down there and run the new logging roads and look for smokey quartz crystals. I have found individual crystals as big 6 inches around and 6 to 8 inches tall. It is a great area, has many ponds around and small lakes as well as the the big reservoir, all have good fishing. Loaded with elk and deer and moose. Incredible area for hunting, hiking, camping and fishing.

Between logging, ranching, farming and the Orofino prison there tends to be plenty of work around the area as well. Cost of living is low and land is reasonably priced, Idaho is pretty laid back when it comes to building codes and the people themselves tend to be pretty laid back in general.

I can't imagine you ever regretting once in your life having moved there.

As for the univeristy in Pullman I guess I will have to make sure to referr to it as WSU like everyone else does, I didn't realize there was another college in Washington with a similar name. Blame it on my lack of a college education I guess... lol

One county in Idaho has no building codes.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Move to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
So I just wintered in N. Idaho after revisiting my childhood home of W. WA and being just disgusted by it. I am weak and could only bear to spend a few weeks there but if you can stick it out, you should but I wouldn't blame you one bit for escaping that zoo.

What did I see in N. Idaho? A lot of good old fashioned Idahoans, some flatlanders but a ton of "Apple maggots," Texans and Calis that came up there to escape their states but didn't change their ways. Idaho state's government is ran almost entirely by the more Mormon S. Idaho which is a completely different world than N. ID, It's still red as a whole but it will be lost cause soon just like Colorado because of the immigrants coming from the captured territories to the West.

To any looking to relocate to ID(or any other free-er state) leave all your WA ways behind you or you and many like you will just turn ID into an extension of East WA no better than what you were running from. That's something I really don't want to see but it's already in progress, over the past decade Idaho has changed a lot.

Not just me saying it many locals agree, like the comment on this article about transfer stations(what the article doesn't touch on is how much trash is dumped in the woods...)
http://www.cdapress.com/local_news/2...and_disorderly

Although Idaho is 24% Mormon Governor Otter is not Mormon and neither democrat or republican has a Mormon running for governor. Most of Mormon Idaho is east of the capital, Boise. Rexburg, a Mormon college town is probably 95% Mormon. A joke I have heard lately is "Idaho has three state capitals--Salt Lake City, Boise, and Spokane." Not far off.

North Idaho is growing pretty fast. 20 years ago Lewiston and Coeur d' Alene were about the same size. No more! I, too, came originally from NW Washington in a country that is all islands.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Freak Magnet

I don't want to rain on the North Idaho parade... but.

We're on a recent road trip and dropping into Orofino, after all it's the talk of the town (prepper town, USA) as the latest and greatest utopia! The buddies been there five times and is ready to lay down some cash on a large acreage just outside of town.

Each side of the road had a 10 foot extensions on the side of the road markers/reflectors; screaming to me in my head,"you will be shoveling snow up to your arse and burning wood for the entire winter!"

Most of the town looked to be stuck in a time warp, not necessarily a bad thing just a lack of financial resource thing, as a general rule I love old towns and the old town feel that nearly always accompanies them. As I cruised up and down the modest little streets of town proper, my mind was taken back to some of the small towns I grew up in in Southern Idaho in the sixties; broke farmers and even broker migrant workers. Again, not necessarily a bad thing and my perception may be way off but it just looked run down and no pride in ownership. You don't need to be cash flush to not mow you weeds and haul your trash to the dump occasionally...

While the surrounding countryside teemed with beauty in every direction, Orofino put off an uncomfortable vibe the closer we got to EL Centro. In my not so humble opinion the farther south you go in Idaho the longer the growing season, the richer the volcanic soil and the less harsh the winter is.

There are many places to hole up the rest of my life, and the Lord willing, we'll pull up stakes in five more years (retirement and pension in hand) and make tracks out of this communist hell hole heading due southeast. And as a side note if you are keeping score at home; I did not purchase half the acres - the buddy did not purchase the other half and he is still on the hunt for the holy grail of sweet spots... he didn't want to shovel snow either.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter End View Post
I don't want to rain on the North Idaho parade... but.

We're on a recent road trip and dropping into Orofino, after all it's the talk of the town (prepper town, USA) as the latest and greatest utopia! The buddies been there five times and is ready to lay down some cash on a large acreage just outside of town.

Each side of the road had a 10 foot extensions on the side of the road markers/reflectors; screaming to me in my head,"you will be shoveling snow up to your arse and burning wood for the entire winter!"

Most of the town looked to be stuck in a time warp, not necessarily a bad thing just a lack of financial resource thing, as a general rule I love old towns and the old town feel that nearly always accompanies them. As I cruised up and down the modest little streets of town proper, my mind was taken back to some of the small towns I grew up in in Southern Idaho in the sixties; broke farmers and even broker migrant workers. Again, not necessarily a bad thing and my perception may be way off but it just looked run down and no pride in ownership. You don't need to be cash flush to not mow you weeds and haul your trash to the dump occasionally...

While the surrounding countryside teemed with beauty in every direction, Orofino put off an uncomfortable vibe the closer we got to EL Centro. In my not so humble opinion the farther south you go in Idaho the longer the growing season, the richer the volcanic soil and the less harsh the winter is.

There are many places to hole up the rest of my life, and the Lord willing, we'll pull up stakes in five more years (retirement and pension in hand) and make tracks out of this communist hell hole heading due southeast. And as a side note if you are keeping score at home; I did not purchase half the acres - the buddy did not purchase the other half and he is still on the hunt for the holy grail of sweet spots... he didn't want to shovel snow either.

The snow here is no secret, if you are not into snow then you don't want to be in north Idaho. Generally the snow is not much too deal with you may have two to three feet on the ground at a time most winters which is pretty simple to deal with, though there are some winters when it gets bad and you can find yourself dealing with 4 to 6 feet on the ground at once which can become a bit trickier to deal with. We only seem to get about 1 heavy winter out of every 4 to 5 winters though so it generally is no great problem.

For anyone who doesn't like snow you would want to move some place like Lewiston Idaho just a ways from Orofino, it is such a low elevation that it never gets much snow, it is about like traveling to the tropics when we drive down there in the winter time. Up here in the higher elevations it is quite a bit cooler. Driving my boys in to work the last few mornings at 5:30AM the temp out has been 37 F, our overnight lows here in the last half of June are running around 32 F to 35 F. I had a very heavy frost last week and had to scrape the windows to drive the boys to work.

The cool overnight temps in June can make gardening a bit of a trick here as well, July, August and generally September are really the only months that you can be guaranteed that it won't hit freezing temps some nights. We are at 3,000 ft elevation though so this does not apply to the entire region, just the higher elevations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Default moving to Idaho

The county with no building permits is the 18th largest in the U.S. It also had an under-sheriff who continues to put on tactical weaponry classes. I am at 2650 feet and don't get but one big snow that lasts a while, maybe 2 feet so I have to plow my driveway a bit. If I walk into the woods very far, I carry a firearm or two since we have cougar, blackbear, elk, and wolves. I have at least a half dozen deer in my yard every evening.

The last place I would want to go is the American southeast. The real advantage to this area is that most people are preppers at some level and they would probably help each other in a pinch. I know I would even help my Mormon neighbors and I would expect them to help me.

Orofino has a great auto parts store where most of the sales is with guns. I've purchased a gun there. But near Kamiah is probably the cheapest place to buy both guns and ammo--cheaper than Lewiston. Living in this area, if one shops at Walmart or COSTCO, those stores are just across the Snake River from Lewiston in Clarkston, Washington where there is no sales tax on food. Washingtonians seem to go to Idaho to save on gas. All the rivers are currently high and we will never have a water shortage. The advantage of Orofino is that it is only 40 miles to a metro area of 40,000 while Kooskia and Kamiah are 60--70.

Soils in the river valleys are good but not on the upper benches. Too much clay. Looks good and black when damp but hard to work.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Freak Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
The county with no building permits is the 18th largest in the U.S. It also had an under-sheriff who continues to put on tactical weaponry classes. I am at 2650 feet and don't get but one big snow that lasts a while, maybe 2 feet so I have to plow my driveway a bit. If I walk into the woods very far, I carry a firearm or two since we have cougar, blackbear, elk, and wolves. I have at least a half dozen deer in my yard every evening.

The last place I would want to go is the American southeast. The real advantage to this area is that most people are preppers at some level and they would probably help each other in a pinch. I know I would even help my Mormon neighbors and I would expect them to help me.

Orofino has a great auto parts store where most of the sales is with guns. I've purchased a gun there. But near Kamiah is probably the cheapest place to buy both guns and ammo--cheaper than Lewiston. Living in this area, if one shops at Walmart or COSTCO, those stores are just across the Snake River from Lewiston in Clarkston, Washington where there is no sales tax on food. Washingtonians seem to go to Idaho to save on gas. All the rivers are currently high and we will never have a water shortage. The advantage of Orofino is that it is only 40 miles to a metro area of 40,000 while Kooskia and Kamiah are 60--70.

Soils in the river valleys are good but not on the upper benches. Too much clay. Looks good and black when damp but hard to work.
I am from Idaho and am there often. Building permits are not a deal breaker. Most of the sheriffs in the country are 2A proponents and the Grand-Poo-Ba law in the county, being duly elected by the people.

South east of my location is Idaho...

The Treasure or Magic Valley's is about as far north as I would ever entertain at that latitude. With the occasional dip in tempersatures below zero, but really nothing long term and usually very mild spring and fall temperatures to deal with. Some little pockets of Utah are on my short list as well as a couple of high desert spots in Arizona. Nothing is set in stone other than the exfil date.

In my opinion, living somewhere by choice, where I have to shovel snow and chop wood for 6 months a year is a deal breaker. No amount of prepped neighbors and cool auto parts stores would make up for a miserable climate that isn't conducive to growing old. Having to perform hard manual labor to survive, or a consistent growing season for crops or gardens is another problem. Sure you could go the way of the green house or aquaponics, but doing so brings in another level and layer of unnecessary complication.

It sounds like you are comfortable with the cold and snow and have adapted to the area, good on you! If there were an event that changed the course of of the country that forced us to put all of our prepping plans in motion, I would adapt as well - Semper Gumby... always flexible! But were are not in that situation and I don't see it on the near horizon.

I will find nirvana or I will make my own!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bitter End For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 02:29 AM

What is with the Texans you refer to. I left the Lone Star state over a decade ago because Uncle Sam asked me to spread Iraqi freedom for a spell and help some Afghans endure a bit of freedom. I reckon too many of us left home, and the rest of the yellow ones started to come out of the shadows.