PAW Fiction - Stories of the Post-Apocalyptic World CD Now Available - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

For Sale
Everything you need for Disaster Preparedness. Only merchants are able to start threads in this section. Follow this link to sign up for your merchants account.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggest some good post apocalyptic survival fiction Tarik Books, Movies & Stories 45 07-31-2018 12:28 AM
How Would You Fare In A Post Apocalyptic World? TXplowgirl General Discussion 189 06-02-2016 09:38 PM
Chronicles of Arlen, Texas (King of the Hill fan fiction; Post-Apocalyptic tale) Mc Books, Movies & Stories 66 02-24-2016 09:26 PM
Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Games And Stories Combined TXplowgirl Books, Movies & Stories 2 12-12-2014 04:37 PM
Glimps of a Post Apocalyptic World junglecrawler General Discussion 2 05-07-2011 09:19 PM
Celebrating the Sabbats in a Post Apocalyptic World Horned One Religious Discussion 23 04-21-2011 11:19 PM
How to Survive the Post-Apocalyptic World name-old General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:16 PM
yogurt in a post-apocalyptic world herschel Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1 04-22-2008 10:00 PM

Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,212 Times in 8,933 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default PAW Fiction - Stories of the Post-Apocalyptic World CD Now Available

Advertise Here

Well, I finally did it. After many requests for a CD of my stories, I have arranged to have one produced. All of my stories are included, up to the time of production of the CD.

The stories have been edited and typeset for easy reading. There are a total of 6,377 pages of stories, as well as 6,712 pages of other background information and reference materials. Also included are some of the lists I have posted on the forums in various categories, the Family Readiness Center prep manual I wrote and was edited by a panel of preppers at that site, and Tired Old Man’s Fallout Shelter Stay Calculator Spreadsheet that I mention in several stories. The total page count is over 13,000 pages.

You can find the CD here: http://tinyurl.com/375yd6u

The cost of the CD is $29.95 plus shipping (between $4.90 and $5.44 depending on where you live in the U.S.). That is about $0.41 per story, on the average, with everything else included for no charge. The CD is professionally produced and manufactured with permanent artwork, so it will last a long time.

The stories will continue to be available for free download at my site as well as the prep sites where I post them.

While some have asked for the CD, some readers have asked me to do a book of the stories. I decided to go with the CD at this time, rather than a printed book, for a variety of reasons.

Getting a book in print by a major publisher is difficult. Publishers want something they are sure will be profitable, with the least amount of work and investment on their part. They want things their way. It just does not work for me.

An alternative, which I have used for two other works, is to self-publish with a Print-on-Demand publisher. I have given this a lot of thought and decided to go with the CD instead.

One reason is the upfront cost. It is a budget killer for me at the moment. Another reason is which stories would I include? Everyone seems to have a different favorite. And a book including all of the stories, even if it could be done, would be an extremely expensive proposition.

Added to the cost of production are the costs to advertise and distribute the books. More out of pocket money.

I also considered putting the stories in e-book format for downloading to computers and electronic book readers. But there are costs to do this, too.

I have been trying to figure out the problem so that costs to everyone would be as low as possible, and trying to accommodate everyone’s wishes at the same time. At $2.99 or more per story in e-book format, versus the $0.41 that each of the stories on the CD costs, I thought it more economical for my readers to get the CD.

When I was contacted by a person in the Prep community who is familiar with my stories, and who wanted to see them made available to all who have asked for CDs or printed copies, I checked out the deal he was offering. We had a long discussion about the best way to go about this. The CD that is now available is the result of those discussions.

Some people wanted CD’s for their use, and others wanted hard copies for various reasons. The CD serves both of these purposes. A person can read it on their computer, or, if a person wants a printed copy, they can print a copy on their home printer, or take the CD to a local copy shop and have a laser-printed copy printed and bound.

Although all of the stories are copyrighted, each CD has a file on it named “Notice to Printers” that authorizes you to have a copy shop make a printed copy for your own use. This notice will generally be sufficient for the copy shops as they watch this kind of thing closely these days.

Getting the stories printed at a copy shop is probably the best way to go. It is less expensive overall, compared to paper and ink costs of doing it at home. Plus laser printing can stand up to the damp and wet where an ink-jet printed copy cannot.

Only the reader’s favorite stories need be printed. And they can be bound together into one book. The small cost of binding the printed material at a professional print shop with acetate covers and coil binding results in a sturdy copy and makes for easy ‘page-turning’. This would make a nice gift for those that you are gently trying to introduce family or friends to prepping.

The additional 6,712 pages of information were selected to provide practical ideas, including, diagrams, plans, load calculations and such…things that would be immediately useful.

There are even a few old classic Civil Defense movies from the 50’s and 60’s including “Duck and Cover” featuring Bert the Turtle.

Sales of the disc are being done on eBay by a seller recommended by the production company. The seller has a 100% rating over the 13 years they have been on eBay. The seller is prepared to ship your purchase immediately by USPS Priority Mail to your address.

For those of you who choose not to use eBay, you can contact me by e-mail and we will make alternate arrangements. You may also contact me by e-mail at [email protected] to discuss any aspect of the purchase of the CD.

All information is held in the strictest confidence and is not used for any other purposes.

Finally, I would like to take a moment and thank some people who have worked on this project.

I would like to thank my editor for his tireless efforts to keep typos out of the works, and make sure things are as clear as possible.

A big thanks goes to ‘Tired Old Man’ for permission to include as a free addition to the CD his Fallout Shelter Stay Time calculator spreadsheet I have referenced in several of my stories.

I would like to thank the production company who took this project on and made it a reality.

And last, but certainly not least, thank you, readers, for giving me an audience to express myself for all these years. Your encouragement has kept me inspired.

Jerry D Young
September 28, 2010

Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,696 Times in 2,855 Posts

Bought mine on ebay. Hope you sell a million of 'em Jerry!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,003 Posts
Thumbs up Jerry is too awesome

That is awesome Jerry!

As President of your rabid insane fans club, I am overjoyed.

Jerry's rabid insane fans club found here
https://www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=107

I feel this long past needed, so I congratulate you sir on this accomplishment,
I think it represents a great value.

We're not worthy, we're not worthy

hope the boots are holding up
The Following User Says Thank You to Halkon For This Useful Post:

Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 PM
All bark, no bite

Thanked 1,174 Times in 472 Posts

Too cool Jerry !!

Clovis and I will be in contact
The Following User Says Thank You to sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,925 Times in 1,518 Posts

Let me get this straight.

I can purchase a CD with your stories.

I can take the CD to a publisher and have books printed for my little loved ones.

I will not get into trouble for such printing and if they lose the book (or sell it to their little friends) I can print them another.

Jerry, you give so much more than you get.

I personally think the way your are handling the distrubution of the CD is the way of the future.

I will search your website to see if I can find a physical address I can mail a check to, or would it be better to mail a money order to expidite fast shipping instead of waiting until the (my) check clears.

Distribution and reader awareness of availiability is the next step.

What if I purchased several CD's, could I sale them via Hastings book stores OR could I sell them to the mom and pop truck stops via a display rack

Help me out here Jerry, how can we make the massive public aware of this CD.

Later
wayne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The CD has a "Notice to Printers" to print only one copy of each story to prevent mass copying and distribution. The stories will remain available as free downloads, so I didn't think the restriction was too much to ask for.

Though I hope everyone will buy an extra copy to give away, I'm not going to go around checking on people that might take it to more than one copy place, or print out a couple copies of their favorite stories on their printer to give away.

I'd really rather no one sells the printed copies to anyone.

I'll find out from the CD production company about reselling and get back to you on that.

Anyone that prefers to purchase with a check or money order can e-mail me at [email protected] and I can make the arrangements.

Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Knocked Down But Up Again

Location: Next stop: Willoughby! This train stops at Willoughby!
Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,459 Posts

I just bought mine, so get out there you teenage comet zombies and show our Jerry some love!

Proverbs 27:12 New Living Translation

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! https://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimasmom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM
PreparationInBubbaNation

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,003 Posts

Woohoo, I got mines! And on the way the same day!
The Following User Says Thank You to Halkon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Target Shooter

Just sent you an email requesting an alternate payment method. Getting thee copies so I can give two as gifts
The Following User Says Thank You to lafayettela For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

e-mail back on the way. Thank you very much!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,414 Times in 4,429 Posts

Great news and best of luck to you Jerry D. Young!

I'll have to hop online and buy a copy myself.

As a side note, as someone who always seems to scratch the heck out of his Cds...another option is to place the data on USB thumb drives. The small ones, while more expensive than CDs, can be had for very little in bulk. Just another option to consider.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Thanks. I'll keep the thumb drive in mind.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Prepared

Ordered mine over the weekend.Thank you for taking time to compile these works,you have amazing talents !
The Following User Says Thank You to highpockets For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Immortal

Thanked 1,556 Times in 648 Posts

Jerry - are the Ebay "buy on demand" for the $29 price or are they auctioned off? Either way, I want one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Groovy Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

It is 'buy on demand'.

Anyone that doesn't want to do e-bay can PM me and we'll make other arrangements.

Thanks everyone that has purchased a disc. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Miles togo before I sleep

I just ordered mine on eBay.
Thanks Jerry!
The Following User Says Thank You to Trekker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Immortal

I bought mine too. Thanks Jerry
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Thanks everyone! The sales will help me with preps.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Prepared

Finally got a chance to open mine and sit down and read a few stories. I like that they are all avail,one after another.Problem is,the stories are so good,they draw you in and you end up reading one after another til 3AM ! Great work,thanks so much,I think I am going to dump some on to a flash drive since my notebook doesnt have a CD drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highpockets For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Immortal

I'm plan to make a back up copy for my personal use too. I'd hate to lose all those stories now that I have copies for future reading!