Modern Minuteman - a "theoretical" discussion - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern/Best version of "Quick Clot" bandage? Reason Health, Fitness and First Aid 45 08-12-2018 02:51 PM
What modern "tactical" add ons do you use and find practical? indie Firearms General Discussion 110 10-16-2017 11:51 PM
Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says Creek Walker Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 60 10-12-2017 09:47 AM
Assange, WikiLeaks and "The modern woman is a whore and no man is safe" Brad in Seattle Political News and Discussion 2 07-28-2016 12:12 AM
Huh!..."For Nearly Two Decades the Nuclear Launch Code at all Minuteman Silos was..." Athanasius General Discussion 62 12-18-2013 10:32 AM
Thread for modern "wild man" postings THE_HUNTERIAM Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 11-13-2013 04:31 PM
Unable to access any of the threads in "General Discussion" The Grand Baboon Site Information & Suggestion Box 4 02-20-2013 05:43 PM
Survival style theoretical discussion JaySlay Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 03-13-2012 09:31 PM
"Loot, plunder and become a modern day pirate." fcb98292 Urban Survival 74 02-27-2010 11:36 PM

Old 07-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,933 Times in 1,622 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
The biggest thing is that everyone show up! That's the first and biggest hurdle. .
Yep, non standard equipment can be dealt with much easier than no one showing up for the party
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,576 Times in 17,048 Posts

I would add that certain things will be VERY common amongst "theoretical" minutemen...

5.56/.223

7.62x39

9mm and .45

AR and AK mags

...anything beyond that thins out pretty quick.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

Militia is en vogue again (But not visible until the JBT's boot is on our throat )
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmmo View Post
A set of Under Armour cold weather long johns would be a good idea. They can fold into nothing and really help you out in the cold.
They don't even have to be an expensive name brand like UnderArmour brand type stuff. Most polypro or other moisture wicking fabrics are good, but ditch the cotton long johns.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,470 Times in 1,651 Posts

All I'm sayin' is, I've put together a dedicated FLC rig for each of my SKS, AK, Mini, and AR that I've acquired over time. Ready to grab and go or pass out as the case may require. I ain't got time to be swappin' stuff around! Or to be loading mags either.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:38 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,425 Times in 5,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
...ROBERT ROGERS' STANDING ORDERS
FOLLOWING TRADITIONS OF THE PAST...
Also great. I think I saw the movie about them, awhile ago. "Roger's Rangers" or something like that.

Lot's of good stuff to think about in this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

I can arm two fire teams easily ( Web Gear & accoutrements also)
Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
All I'm sayin' is, I've put together a dedicated FLC rig for each of my SKS, AK, Mini, and AR that I've acquired over time. Ready to grab and go or pass out as the case may require. I ain't got time to be swappin' stuff around! Or to be loading mags either.
I do the same, 3 ar15 rifles, 3 sling bags with magazines, a knife, an AR15 multitool, a lighter, a flashlight and a few first aid supplies. Deciding which one to grab will take the longest.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greenAR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,063 Times in 4,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post
I would add that certain things will be VERY common amongst "theoretical" minutemen...

5.56/.223

7.62x39

9mm and .45

AR and AK mags

To me this is the number one detail of any fighting force.

Commonality of caliber.

Anything that shoots 5.56, from single shot to belt fed can cause damage but without the ammo it's just a club.

I know people that feel safe now with a pistol and a 50 round box of ammo.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 240Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM
MortarMaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Geezer View Post
To me this is the number one detail of any fighting force.

Commonality of caliber.

Anything that shoots 5.56, from single shot to belt fed can cause damage but without the ammo it's just a club.

I know people that feel safe now with a pistol and a 50 round box of ammo.
I hear people say they are fine with the Louisville slugger by their bed. I guess at least you won't be out of ammo for it.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
They don't even have to be an expensive name brand like UnderArmour brand type stuff. Most polypro or other moisture wicking fabrics are good, but ditch the cotton long johns.
I'll take the newer issued fleece over the old polypro any day, cant tell you how many times polypro DID NOT keep me warm
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,327 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
I'll take the newer issued fleece over the old polypro any day, cant tell you how many times polypro DID NOT keep me warm
Waffle shirt might be the best piece of clothing ever invented. Ever. Because a woobie isn't clothing even though you can wear it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Paratrooper X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
Waffle shirt might be the best piece of clothing ever invented. Ever. Because a woobie isn't clothing even though you can wear it.
The level 7 primaloft jacket is pretty awesome too!!!. Not quite as compress able as civilian down or synthetic stuff but its pretty damn good considering its Issued
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM
MortarMaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
Newer polypro is better than the old polypro too. I liked the wool sweaters that we could get at clothing sales like this one. https://www.amazon.com/US-Military-S...=1&*entries*=0

I used to wear that under the BDU top instead of the field jacket liner a lot of other guys used and I thought it was a lot warmer.

Wool, especially good wool is great, but for a base layer I would not want wool. If you are in a climate that doesn't get that cold you might get by without layering, but up here, you need to use layers for extended stays outside during fall/winter/spring months. Also good wool garments tend to be a lot more expensive than most synthetics.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 32,472 Times in 8,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

5.56/.223

7.62x39

9mm and .45

AR and AK mags

I may be wrong, but 308 might be fairly common. It is with me.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM

Speaking of RIFLE SLINGS!

I bet a lot of folks have an AR15 but don't have a sling for it. Should be added to the standard gear list. Plus a standard (not CCW) holster for whatever sidearm. It's the little things we don't think about, but which can make a difference. Those of us who have never walked around outside for awhile carrying a rifle in hand just don't realize what a PITA it is. Personally, I have recently been solving that deficiency in my own AR equipment. Hunting rifles are GTG, obviously.

Commonality of calibers. That's a tricky one. Around where I live, people might have a bolt action 30-06 rather than an AR in 556. Which I think will be fine as long as they have ammo for it. The stores which sell ammo might be more likely to have 30-30 or 30-06. There is not even a LGS in the whole county where I live, but there is a hardware store that sells a little bit of hunting ammo. Point is, while I agree that optimally it would be best to standardize a caliber, that may not survive a real-life test. Just like the test did not survive during the time of the Minute Men.

If the chips were down, I'd be happy to take in a guy with a scoped Winchester 30-06 slung over his back and a S&W .44 revolver on his side, and I wouldn't refuse him because his gear didn't meet the criteria. The guy is probably comfortable with his gear and that, to me, is more important than commonality of calibers. And THAT is what we will deal with if the time comes. Ordinary Joes, thrown together with whatever they have. We can't expect to be thrown into a situation where everyone is armed with AR15s. Maybe we should even stock extra 30-06 just in case (or whatever the local ammo choice is), or at least the reloading supplies to make them...

I never got a chest rig, as I always felt it was too mall-ninja-like. I'm rethinking this now, in light of current events.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Target Shooter

Just thought the white t would blend in as nothing special but you could i.d. your friendlys easy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juts89mj For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:22 PM
MortarMaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarco2000 View Post
Speaking of RIFLE SLINGS!

I bet a lot of folks have an AR15 but don't have a sling for it. Should be added to the standard gear list. Plus a standard (not CCW) holster for whatever sidearm. It's the little things we don't think about, but which can make a difference. Those of us who have never walked around outside for awhile carrying a rifle in hand just don't realize what a PITA it is. Personally, I have recently been solving that deficiency in my own AR equipment. Hunting rifles are GTG, obviously.

Commonality of calibers. That's a tricky one. Around where I live, people might have a bolt action 30-06 rather than an AR in 556. Which I think will be fine as long as they have ammo for it. The stores which sell ammo might be more likely to have 30-30 or 30-06. There is not even a LGS in the whole county where I live, but there is a hardware store that sells a little bit of hunting ammo. Point is, while I agree that optimally it would be best to standardize a caliber, that may not survive a real-life test. Just like the test did not survive during the time of the Minute Men.

If the chips were down, I'd be happy to take in a guy with a scoped Winchester 30-06 slung over his back and a S&W .44 revolver on his side, and I wouldn't refuse him because his gear didn't meet the criteria. The guy is probably comfortable with his gear and that, to me, is more important than commonality of calibers. And THAT is what we will deal with if the time comes. Ordinary Joes, thrown together with whatever they have. We can't expect to be thrown into a situation where everyone is armed with AR15s. Maybe we should even stock extra 30-06 just in case (or whatever the local ammo choice is), or at least the reloading supplies to make them...

I never got a chest rig, as I always felt it was too mall-ninja-like. I'm rethinking this now, in light of current events.
I have ammo in stuff that I don't own, and some I've never owned just because I either know people who do, or it is so common that not having a box or two of it laying around is just silly. I also have a bunch of dies for stuff I never owned, some not that common cause about 20 years ago a sporting goods store was going out of business and they kept lowering prices to get rid of all their inventory. The dies got down to like 75 or 80% off. Most of the common calibers were gone but at about $5 a set, I had to get a bunch of the ones they had left.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 61,131 Times in 18,861 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgSawOkZaA

Hoss'es kit
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I have ammo in stuff that I don't own, and some I've never owned just because I either know people who do, or it is so common that not having a box or two of it laying around is just silly. I also have a bunch of dies for stuff I never owned, some not that common cause about 20 years ago a sporting goods store was going out of business and they kept lowering prices to get rid of all their inventory. The dies got down to like 75 or 80% off. Most of the common calibers were gone but at about $5 a set, I had to get a bunch of the ones they had left.
[Off topic but yes, I'd jump on a deal like that too. For some reason I have about a hundred 38 Special wadcutter bullets that I vaguely remember casting, but I must have, and that means I must have had the mold! LOL I don't own a 38, I sold my 357 years before that if I recall, and if I still have the mold I can't find it. Why do I have these bullets? I also have a 45-70 die set and almost 500 plated bullets that I can't seem to part with, and I don't have a rifle in that caliber either. But all this might come in handy some day! ]
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: