vigilant20's 2016 urban homestead (and farm work!) - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southeast Michigan, Pond's Edge Homestead & Garden 2014 - 2019 inMichigan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 809 07-29-2019 03:25 PM
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 03:56 PM
Lil Urban Homestead in Oklahoma wildartist Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 84 07-29-2014 09:56 PM
How to Plan a sustainable Urban Homestead IronBeard Urban Survival 18 05-15-2013 07:00 PM
Work day at the Homestead kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 01-24-2013 08:27 PM
The Urban Homestead Book Mic Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-03-2011 10:52 AM
The urban homestead video chopper dave Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 0 09-11-2010 10:54 AM
Urban Homestead... Path to Freedom 123Testing Urban Survival 44 03-30-2010 10:21 AM
Your New Homestead Won't Be Ready Until 2016 stonecypher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 08-21-2009 05:07 PM
Useful site for Farm/Homestead plans emill Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 07-29-2008 07:55 AM

Old 05-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Homesteader / Workershare

Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,098 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default vigilant20's 2016 urban homestead (and farm work!)

Advertise Here

Welcome to my 6th year of rambling on about growing and eating delicious organic food. I've had a few setbacks since my previous thread. I've taken my home off the market and had to give up on my dream of moving to a larger homestead anytime soon. The Extension program I had hoped to work with for a microfarm plot is unfunded this year (and was poorly run when it was funded, surprise, surprise) so that's off the table.

But one of my facebook friends was ready to expand her market farm into a CSA and she's only 40 minutes away. So we arranged to meet at the winter's farmers market and when we both turned out to be exactly who we seemed to be online, she agreed to bring me on as her first and only workershare. I'm working there Saturday mornings for a full 9 months this year. She absolutely loves teaching and is really happy with how I'm doing. She mentioned the possibility of keeping me on beyond that as extra help and to mentor me until I'm ready to launch my own operation...so we'll see how it develops.

During my first 3 shifts, I've harvested and washed lots of greens for the 2 farmers markets she's doing and the handful of CSA shares she's starting up with, planted a few rows of peas and artichokes, and got a whole bunch of tomatoes transplanted.

My own garden is currently a mess. I hadn't done any prepwork because I had planned to turn it into a lawn if I kept it on the market any longer.

But the perennials are busy doing their things. I'm currently a week into asparagus season and if it ever stops raining I'll get busy turning the beds over.

And finally, food! This is a pork chop from the pastured piggies I got to help with at least season's farm and asian greens from my new farm.

I'm continuing my traditional food journey and joined the Traditional Cooking School to help me step up my game. I've been using a new toy for my kitchen to mill einkorn.

And making amazing baked goods like these sourdough english muffins! They make amazing breakfast sandwiches with my friends backyard eggs, raw milk cheddar, pastured piggy bacon from the old farm, and homemade fermented mayo! Yum yum.

Lots more to come!
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,432 Times in 2,360 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Wow. Just wow. Congratulations and good luck. I for one am eager to hear about the inner workings of a CSA, especially a new start up. So any thing you pass along will be read with great interest.

And, last but not least... that is one mighty fine look'n pork chop.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I've almost finished turning over the beds and planting will start this week. Both apple trees are blooming this year and the strawberries are flowering.

I pulled some of the rhubarb to make this lactofermented rhubarb chutney

I've been fermenting up a storm and loving it. Here's everything I had going on Monday (rhubarb chutney, dairy kefir, water kefir, ginger carrots, and sourdough)

Made it through my first month at the new CSA! This weeks shift was all harvesting and washing goodies for market tomorrow, including these beautiful baby beets.

My share of the beets quickly became dinner. The roots were roasted with a little EVOO and rosemary and the greens sauteed in EVOO with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Served with grassfed steak from the winter meat CSA and some of the rhubarb chutney. Meals like this make me so happy

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
My share of the beets quickly became dinner.
So im curious. I assume you either signed up for the CSA or you can take produce as reimbursement?

The reason I ask, I recently saw an ad on Craiglist asking for farm help. I can't find the ad now, but I believe the family had something like a 1 acre veggie garden under cultivation. The pay was "enough produce to feed 4 adults". The help was needed to come harvest and clean produce, 3 to 4 days per week.

I just thought it was interesting.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
So im curious. I assume you either signed up for the CSA or you can take produce as reimbursement?

The reason I ask, I recently saw an ad on Craiglist asking for farm help. I can't find the ad now, but I believe the family had something like a 1 acre veggie garden under cultivation. The pay was "enough produce to feed 4 adults". The help was needed to come harvest and clean produce, 3 to 4 days per week.

I just thought it was interesting.
I'm taking produce as pay. It's referred to as a workershare. Both farms I've worked with now in my area are paying about $10/hr in produce. It's a good arrangement that allows people to feel involved in the community, reduces the cost of eating organic, and allows them to be part of the local food movement. In my case, it's great experience for a future dream It's also great for the farmer who has tons of manual labor in their process to start seeds, transplant, weed, harvest, prepare, pack for the CSA and market, deliver to CSA dropoff sites, and man farmers market stalls...and who's income is rather sporadic due to relying partly on market sales, making workershares compensated with something they are already producing more easily manageable than interns or other paid positions.

I'm sure there's more considerations, but that's how I've been thinking of it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

How many Shares does this farmer sell to get a sense of the scale?
InMichigan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inMichigan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inMichigan View Post
How many Shares does this farmer sell to get a sense of the scale?
InMichigan
That I don't know, but I can share my impressions. The farm I was at last season was large and he said they relied on the CSA portion for income, but they did do markets. They had 10 dropoff sites throughout the area...my dropoff had maybe 16 boxes? Just on Saturdays they started with 8 workershares (although only I hung in there for the full season).

This seasons farm is a small family affair. It sounds like she's got a couple of interns plus myself as regular help. It's an established market farm with a variety of summer and winter markets, but this is their first season testing out a CSA with a just the few shares she got by word of mouth. She's the only one I've ever heard of here doing a very long April-December season which is a bit heftier to buy into.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

CSA is something that really fascinates me and terrifies me at the same time. Seems like any small disaster, such as a single crop loss, could just really screw everything up. Although on the same token, I believe that any farmer/farm/producer who gets into it, probably has extensive knowledge and experience.

My inlaws recently thought about signing up for one. The part they didn't like was not knowing each week if they would have a variety, or a box full of cabbage.

Please do keep us updated on the inner workings as the best you can.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

My Mom and I spent almost 6 hours on the Ice Age Trail for Mother's Day We're both focusing on health and non-consumerism so some quality/exercise time was what we were both looking for.

My local urban homesteading friends are finally realizing their dream and moving to their new farm! She's always had a lot of chickens and is expanding her flock immediately to start selling meat birds now that she can pasture them. This week I met these little cuties and put a downpayment on 10 to help her get started and ensure my freezer will be full of chicken this year :D I also found out about Kettle Range Meats, which sources from a number of grass-fed farms...so I'm trying out one of their monthly baskets for beef and bacon, and have the option to add occasional pork and lamb if I stay with them. They do tours of their member farms, so I'll be checked them out next time I get a chance. With that, I think I've got my meat sourced for the whole year

It was only in the 30s for todays shift at the farm, and we froze our little paws off harvesting and washing everything up for tomorrow's market. I finished up by amending and digging a row against one of the hoophouse walls and planting these sweet little celeries.

She also mentioned she's really unhappy with her current "interns" and is looking into a new program our local ag institute is offering to help farmers provide the educational portion for a proper internship/apprenticeship program for me. I'm trying not to get too excited...but....I'm excited that she's interested.

And just had an example of a quick meal this week. I put a potato in the oven as soon as I got home and did some chores while it baked. When it was almost done I fried up some chicken tenders from my winter meat CSA, picked some asparagus to steam, and ran out to snip some chives before serving. I've been doing a lot of simple meat and veggie meals lately because they are generally only a couple of minutes work to get them on the table.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2016, 09:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,257 Times in 480 Posts

Hope everything works out for you with the intern/apprentice program.

Your meals look awesome, and now I'm interested in checking out fermentation.

Thanks for the updates!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Thank you Tracey!

Our cold snap is over and planting started this week! Watermelon, cantelope, spinach, oregano, dill, parsley, basil, beets, chard, kohlrabi, potatoes, carrots, shelling peas, and these beans I've been saving each season (Hidatsa Shield and Cherokee Trail of Tears) are in. I've still got a bit of digging to do to finish things off with green beans, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, and squash.

I wasn't able to start seeds this year with the house on the market (setting up in the back room makes it difficult to maneuver in there), but I was able to find starts for my favorite heirloom varieties in a rainbow of colors...so alls well that ends well.

Out front, I finally gave in and added some perennial flowers to spruce things up. The neighbor is off his meds yet again and on the rampage...since this happens every summer, it's time to admit I'm probably never going to want to be out front enough to give it the proper time it needs to be entirely decorative edibles. But the ones that are out there are going gangbusters...I've got tons of bouncing baby peaches on the way.

This weeks shift at the farm was spent spreading compost out in one of the hoophouses and planting a variety of summer squash. She wasn't going to market the next day, so harvesting for just the CSA shares before I left was quick and easy...and we were pretty excited to pull the first of the carrots.

And this weeks cooking experiment. I gave into the Instant Pot craze and tried this Blueberry Steel Cut Oats recipe (I just used real milk and all frozen berries)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2016, 08:29 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,604 Times in 1,914 Posts

Those are beautiful bean seeds! It's hard to save beans here due to bean beetles that invade the pods in the drying stage by piercing and laying eggs in them.

And the carrots are gorgeous too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

It's been a very busy week. I finally buckled down and really focused on the front yard. The base is 2 apple trees, a peach tree, hardy kiwis, rhubarb, chives, and lovage. This spring I added 5 new types of perennial flowers to spruce up the place. Celery is woven in near the back of the yard. Along the front and sidewalk are rows of red cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. I think it'll look pretty good once it's all filled in.

And... the back is nearly complete. The furthest bed was completely covered in tall weeds and the ground had hardened. (I had let everything go when I thought this would be converted to lawn this season, which I'm really regretting now.) So yesterday I sprinkled it with compost and gypsum and just worked it into the top with my hoe...in the process I also chopped up all of the weeds. In another day or two when they have finished wilting, I'll be planting it with cucumbers and zucchini...and then I'll finally be done!

There's lots of sprouting going on so I'm enjoying my time in the garden watching everything change.

And I'm taking advantage of the chamomile being in flower already with fresh picked tea daily

This weeks shift at the farm was mostly weeding two rows of kale. She only needed me to pick spinach to finish off the CSA boxes....which is looking amazing.

And the recipe I have to share was using some of the carrots from last weeks CSA...yum!

Belgian Carrots

8 carrots, sliced
1/3 cup cream
2 TBSP butter
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Boil carrots in water for about 10 minutes, until tender. Drain water. Reduce heat to low and add remaining ingredients. Serve when heated through.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,185 Times in 15,022 Posts

And your neighbors don't complain that your front yard is not a lawn?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
And your neighbors don't complain that your front yard is not a lawn?
The woman to the left has a mentally unwell brother living there that has been harassing and threatening to kill me for years (he's the reason I put up the privacy fence...allowing me to garden in relative safety). On the right are two renters...that have had standoffs with the police and knife fights out front and are loud 24/7. So a frontyard garden is pretty inoffensive in comparison :D
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Trying to Catch-up

I wish you could sell. Market is pretty hot right now, at least up here. I just put an offer in on a house in Fredonia with 1.1 acres (still can't have chickens!)

BTW..I unstuck your 2015 thread and made this one a sticky
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

It was really hot for my workershare shift this week, and I ended up digging up a row of carrots in the tunnels...so I got a nice sauna treatment. But aren't they lovely?

In my own garden things are coming along nicely. The potatoes were hilled, tomatoes are starting to appear, and the strawberry harvest is going strong.

Early mornings when it's still cool have become tea time. I'm alternating between picking chamomile and lemon balm.

We've had a lot evening storms, so it's been candles and books before bed.

I've been feasting on lots of big salads with all my delicious greens. And this one's topped with one of the yummy pastured freedom ranger chickens I found at the farmer's market.

Speaking of meat...I picked up my first pastured meat share from the new butcher that opened here. So much yum!

And a recipe...I tried this Instant Pot Potato Salad to go along with all the grassfed burgers I got.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2016, 07:36 AM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Took a day off this week and headed out for my first camping trip of the season at Big Foot Beach State Park. Had some peaceful time alone hiking and fishing and playing with fire :D

At the farm, the tomatoes are going insane. The tallest is just over my head now and it's still early in the season.

One of the things we did was harvest garlic scapes, so I got my share pickling using the Cultures for Health recipe

Back home, I can't help but notice how different things are. When I moved here, the view from the kitchen window was of passersby looking back at me from the very near sidewalk. Now it's of my little orchard

And strawberries are coming in! I just added a little whipped cream for a delicious dessert

And this weeks recipe! Dinner was made with the carrots I got in my CSA basket last week and the last of the pastured pork chops from my winter meat CSA.

Instant Pot Orange Pork

1 TBSP butter
4 boneless pork chops
1 onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/4 tsp pepper
1 TBSP arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)

Use the saute function on your Instant Pot to brown pork chops in butter. Remove chops and add onion. Cook until softened. Add orange juice and pepper and deglaze the pot. Add chops back and use a spoon to scoop onions on top of the meat. Secure lid and use manual setting to cook at high pressure for 18 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for about 10 minutes. Remove pork chops. Add arrowroot powder to thicken gravy before serving.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vigilant20 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,257 Times in 480 Posts

I was wondering what an Instant Pot was, lol. I bought a pressure cooker about a year ago and have yet to use it......unlike my pressure canner which is constantly in use!

I'm gonna pull it out and try these pork chops, sound delicious, thanks for recipe.

Love all the pictures you post, your a great photographer too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Looking good! I lost all my strawberries to critters.....they were just turning pink. I like your view out the front window!
The Following User Says Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post: