Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official XD-XDm threadť Gunner65 Pistol and Revolver Forum 251 07-02-2019 07:42 AM
Official 9/11 thread Jim Boonie Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 07-17-2012 05:28 PM
OM NOM NOM: The official Thread! Nightwing Jokes, Humor & Music 33 04-03-2012 02:32 PM

Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 PM
a.k.a. "Big_Saw"

Default D.I.Y. M.R.E.s....a pictorial.....*OFFICIAL THREAD*

Advertise Here

***Step 1...gather your fixins....anything that can be eaten either raw or cooked, using ONLY water...nothing requiring refrigeration or milk, butter, etc...

*packaged snack crackers....PB on wheat, cheezy, etc., etc...
*bagged/canned tuna, chicken, spam, sardines....whatever meat you prefer....
*packaged instant rice and potatoes...
*instant drink mixes...coffee, crystal light, whatever.....
*tea bags....
*bullion cubes.....
*ramen noodles...
*single servings of salt, pepper, sweetener, or whatever your taste....
*granola/cereal bars...
*candy bars...
*instant oatmeal packets....

***Step 2.....Dig through your stockpile and arrange the types of meals you want to package...remember to diversify if you don't want the same, boring meal every time you crack one open...

***Step 3...Break out the vacu-suck and shrink-wrap your goodies into nice li'l packs....rinse and repeat....*NOTE...don't forget to pierce your packs of rice, potatoes, noodles, and crackers w/a thumbtack or something, or they'll bloat under vacuum and cause your MREs to be bulky....piercing won't harm the contents, as you're delivering them to a vacuum state, and contamination is not a factor........

Choose your foods wisely and you should end up w/a 3-5 yr. shelf life, when properly stored. The line of DIY MREs above cost me about 2 hrs and $75 to make....compare that to a sh*tty tasting, $6 per commercial MRE with a comparable shelf-life, and you figure the savings....

Last edited by Urban_Cowboy; 02-13-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 352 Users Say Thank You to Urban_Cowboy For This Useful Post:
093, 1stcavmp77, 2crows, 2nd_A_Guy, 4evercoltsfan, 4fish, Adapt, aftex99, agreen9813, Aircraft Killer, AirGuitarHero, Akwalker, alergyfree, alex30808, almac, ANZAC, armedpilgrim, Avis, AwakenedPatriot, azcfi, AZOpie, Backwoods Bum, beacharg, beef_wellington, Ben, Bennayboi, Bex, Big Junk, Bigbubbajb, bigdogrunninwild, BigDudeGeorge, Bighead, bikerdruid, bill may, Biltong, black0ps, BlazeWalker, blckjack, bobkatt, bonecutter6, Bonesinwv, Boomboy007, boot, Brimasmom, bucketosudz, bulrush, CarbineKid, cck51, cdccos, chaosofcreation, Charlie26, chefljm, cheftothestars, chexmix, chiao, Chick Norris, chrisday4064, chuckbyf, ClovisMan, cm650, coinshooter, cone1995, ConservativeLEO24, cossack47, CountryboyRifleman, Countrygal28, cowboy96, CPL_BS_88, craftygal, crankyfarmer, Crutch, cyrus12, czbohunk, Daladim, dalucero, Damaramu, davyj0427, dawg69, Daywalker, deamoneater357, dirtyape, docdredd, DocGolres, Dogfish213, dogmaw, dontrusthemedia, doorguy, dragonmisty, dtcf150, DueNorth, dunnellonwoman, eadavis, Eagle9914, EagleTalons, earth2, Earthorca, eastwood, Eden, eelmad, EFS, EMT, enchant18, Englander, Expat47, farangbanger, Festes, filman, FindIt, Firebane, firefighter508, FireTamer, flyinlion, FX44, gamuddawg151, Garand1, gardener guy, geburton, GeraldRant, Getyershells, Ghostrider247, GJCO, Glock755, Goatblood3, Goomba, Goos, goosefacer, grandma, greatswampa, gregp, Gregz, Guy_Lovejoy, h00t74, Hagar, Halkon, Hawaii Guy, hawkeye23, hazel_eyes, hdbray, heyward, highdeserthawk, Hill Top, Hondo Sackett, HorseSoldier, Hudlerist, Humungus, IGravemind, ikean, ilhunter, Impamy, Indiana Camper, IowaFreak, Irish Militant, irvingmj23, Ithaca1937, jailer252, Jamesr359, jammie, jay47544, JeanneLynn, JedLMF, Jever, jfountain2, jgoody1221, jmb86, joes, Joshohoho, JTGinnings, Ka-bar, kc0tma, keepingmyguns, kef3stlmo, Kenyhrax, kingjames, Kiwi_Bowhunter, knothead, KODIAKHERSHEY, kscottwyatt, Las Vegan, LastDragonfly, Lerxst2112, LethallyFit, letsgetreal, LiberityLee, lobstah, lookwade, lorky, louv512, lunchbox777, m4shadow, Mac Tíre, Macfly, marcum man, MarkJones, mbarnatl, mcgyver1467, MesserMan, mf5325, mikes, MMgoose, Mommabear, monet108, Montana_Nights, MontgomeryXIII, MotherEarth, mr survivor, MrGreenJeans, mrs bubby, mr_nice_guy228, ms,hillbilly, Mtnhooch, mudman, MuzzleBlast, n1nj4d3wd, NANA CHICKIES, Nathan H, New_Pollution1086, NHCraigT, NicktheMedic, nightfall, NoFlyZone, Nomad-max, Northern Wisconsin, NyteOwl, OakRidgeStars, offgridmontana, Offrink, okfarmgal, Old Sarge, oldandfedup1, OldManGlitch, OldManRiver, OLDWarrior64, oohsquirrel, outdoorsurvival, overcomer, OZZIEPOM, packitnow, PapaKilo40, pat25, patriot, payabontim, pepple84, Phoenixhawk, PlacidRambo, Plowdog, PorterinMaine, PrincessKraken, Prosailor64, prudens-entis, puzzler, Pwillia, radar, randkl, RavenWolf31, rdug113, reaction, Redleg7, Remanent, resqdan89, Rett, Revmgt, richtaber, Rifleman336, rina, riverbottom, Robin56, RParker, rt7, Rusty, rzrbak, S.P.Q.R., Safari, sam456, SamFisher, sarco2000, Sargent, Savvivalist, scrappy1343, sdg, Seldomseen, sherrieallen, Shux, sirtomprice, SkiPotato87, SLED, Smudge, Someguyincali, sonicnef, Squee!, Stealth_Hawk, Stevo, Stoveman, Sturmgeist, Sumatra, survivalmama, surviver94, Susan4, swamprat1958, swwjeff, Tabflip, talleymonster, talon, Tango2Echo, TANGO_INDIA_PERU, tankman1989, TayoftheDead, tdgreenbay, Te Hopo, Texas Pete, Texas1978, TeXaS_SA, tgoodman44, the hog, the indian, The Peanut, The Saint, Theguy, thorjeep, Thunder 9, Tictactowing, Tinfoil Hat, tinier, tkd, tlhayslip, tmootu, tnrick55, trainedtosave, tree369, Trotline, Tugger, twolite, upstatePatriot, vegasrandall, voyuer1, Vtso4, vv111y, Weekend Ghost, welchy, Wendigo244, westgateok, Wetwork, whatzhizname, whitefall, wild1, WildWilly, winters921, Wolfe, wolfman jim, woodcricket, XDM, zacszoo, zula
Old 02-13-2009, 10:51 PM
a.k.a. "Big_Saw"

Almost forgot....add a couple of multivitamins to each MRE, too....if you're living on these as a suppliment to hunting....you'll be thankful to have the full spectrum of vitamins along for the post SHTF when you see everyone who didn't have 'em suffering from deficiencies...
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to Urban_Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Hiker,Tracker,Hunter

Wow, great illustration, i just learned alot. Thanks mate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorterinMaine For This Useful Post:

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
smilin or showin my teeth

tidy little reminder that it doesnt have to come in a single pack to be good ty
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stonewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
drive a stake thru Islam

Thanked 1,251 Times in 503 Posts

Now this is a great post, thank you very much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scrappy1343 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 PM

Yes thank you, could you help out and do tell where to get the condments and such cheaply (not ready to just take at the local fast food) and what is OK to open to vacuum? Such as dry noodles, ok, but cheese & crackers?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thorjeep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 PM
A country boy can survive

Excellent post.

T2E
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango2Echo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorjeep View Post
Yes thank you, could you help out and do tell where to get the condments and such cheaply (not ready to just take at the local fast food)
I would suggest getting them from fast food places and restaurants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TayoftheDead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 AM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,432 Posts

Imformative and interesting, thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to the hog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Target Shooter

Very nice post, And great pics
The Following User Says Thank You to Daywalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 05:02 AM

Default D.I.Y MRE's and Ration Packs

i have been able to gather plenty of information on what foods to store for the long term.
The problem i am having is trying to replace expensive MRE'S and also replace READY TO EAT ration packs...

i would like to have both of these available to me for different situations...

The ready to eat ration packs must not contain too much wasted weight (no heavy cans etc)

The MRE's can be slightly more of a weight and could include tins of things such as spam is no alternatives are available..

the food needs to be long enough lasting do i dont need to replace them too often if i dont need them

also any ideas on what sort of bag i should use to store the individual meals in would be helpful

thanks in advance for any input
Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 AM

Hello,
I found that there is a wide selection of canned meat products available at great prices at the Lidl and aldi stores suitable for MRE's. They have cans of steak and goulash both of which are very tasty, as well as many varieties of the corned beef and spam products.They also have great choices in sardines and other tinned Fish and one can stock up cheaply compared to buying the well known brands at tesco and the like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac Tíre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 AM
a.k.a. "Big_Saw"

Quote:
Yes thank you, could you help out and do tell where to get the condments and such cheaply (not ready to just take at the local fast food) and what is OK to open to vacuum? Such as dry noodles, ok, but cheese & crackers?
If you're not willing to pilfer your local fast-food dives, you can alays get your single serving condiment packs online...just Google whatever condiment you want and add "packet" or "serving"......if you Google "salt & pepper packets", you'll find a zillion folks wanting to sell 'em to you by the thousands......
Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 AM
a.k.a. "Big_Saw"

Quote:
As far as what foods to pierce before vac-sealing....I only pierce dry stuff....absolutely nothing with any moisture or anything that's already contained in its own vac-pack (like SPAM or tuna). I pierce my crackers, peanuts, noodles, potatoes, rice, or whatever....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Urban_Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,127 Posts

You might want to check this thread showing DIY MRE with photos:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=43805

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixelguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,082 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Gotta love that American ingenuity!!
(I almost said yankee, but I decided not to after seeing your from Arkansas)

Fantastic post!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,082 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Cowboy View Post
As far as what foods to pierce before vac-sealing....I only pierce dry stuff....absolutely nothing with any moisture or anything that's already contained in its own vac-pack (like SPAM or tuna). I pierce my crackers, peanuts, noodles, potatoes, rice, or whatever....
A quick question/suggestion. Do you think if you put an 02 absorber in a bag, the shelf life might be increased, particularly the dry goods?

Any thoughts...anyone....anyone....Beuller?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:06 AM

I think I've seen condiment single packs sold in bulk at wholesaler places like Sam's and Costco. FWIW I had trouble with the mayo bought like that going rancid fairly quickly though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susan4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,738 Posts

Great thread, you beat me to the punch on this one. Not only can you save money,but when you buy commercial Mre's, there always is an undesirable "dog'' entree' floating around. If you want to seal crackers or cereal, put them in the freezer for an hour then seal them up. Freezing will help keep the food from becoming broken up or turned into powder.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to voyuer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,690 Times in 1,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDWarrior64 View Post
A quick question/suggestion. Do you think if you put an 02 absorber in a bag, the shelf life might be increased, particularly the dry goods?

Any thoughts...anyone....anyone....Beuller?
If the container is void of air you shouldn't need an absorber. That more like something you would use with a 5 gallon bucket of rice or flour that isnt vacuum sealed.

Last edited by voyuer1; 02-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: duh
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to voyuer1 For This Useful Post: