Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings Alaskans AK_Red Alaska 3 12-22-2014 01:27 AM
For the Alaskans Josh97526 General Discussion 8 03-19-2012 01:14 AM
Alaska Governor (Parnell) Urges Alaskans to Prepare Pragmatist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-25-2011 01:21 PM
Army Stops Retiree Pay for Alaskans in World War II Force Leif the Lucky Controversial News and Alternative Politics 11 01-31-2009 12:44 PM
Any Alaskans Out Here? scorinth Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 08-15-2008 10:32 AM
Alaskans suffer nation's highest gasoline prices lord_velos General Discussion 0 07-18-2008 04:41 PM

Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,025 Times in 1,626 Posts
Default Where would you buy? I'm asking the Alaskans.

Advertise Here

I'm seriously considering buying in Alaska. Where would you buy and why.
I've never been to Alaska, but I am taking a cruise in July that will hit several ports and then docks in Seward. From there I am renting a car and driving around for a few days before having to fly back home. If there are any places I should definitely check out please let me know.

This will be a vacation/second home/cabin. I'd like to be within 5 hours drive of an airport but closer to fishing/hunting/4wheeling/etc. Amenities are not an issue as I will go solar in the cabin and rainwater tank or spring/river water. I would like to be able to drive my vehicle to the property or have less than an hour 4 wheeler/snow machine ride to the property. Am I asking too much?
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,669 Posts

Do you have a price range..........???

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting-to-Alaska

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Remote-Living
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Apocaloptimist

Max price of about 200k. Not really looking for a furnished house with a driveway and a mailbox. I want something....wild. I like to hunt and fish...a lot. I would like to set a few traps as that is not something we get to do in Texas. Is there a minimum acreage size in Alaska in which you are allowed to hunt? In Texas, we can't hunt any property less than 10 acres?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,204 Posts

No disrespect, but personally I'd rather not see any more people moving up here. It's over-crowded as it is. I'm praying to see a mass exodus in which 95% of the population heads south, for good.

There are so many people full of **** and vinegar who come up thinking they're hot ****, and they're about the worst people to have up here. They ruin it. There's plenty of room in Wyoming, Montana, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 PM

Gonna go out on a limb here, but when you move you might not want that guy for a neighbor. Lol
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LonghornGardens For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Last Frontiersman

One of the most attractive things about this pace, is the ability to live without neighbors. I love the isolation, the small towns. I'll fight tooth and nail to preserve this way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornGardens View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here, but when you move you might not want that guy for a neighbor. Lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Apocaloptimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
One of the most attractive things about this pace, is the ability to live without neighbors. I love the isolation, the small towns. I'll fight tooth and nail to preserve this way of life.
Well you can't be around too long...Thank God.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,323 Times in 2,679 Posts

Texans don't do well in Alaska. Everything up here is so big, the big open spaces, the big mountains, the big animals. With Texas being such a small state, being in a big state can be overwhelming.

Good natured kidding aside, sounds like you would like the area off the parks highway north of Willow or off the Glenn highway between Eureka and Glennallen. Both are about 3-4 hours from the airport in Anchorage. The area off the parks highway probably has the better fishing in the immediate vicinity. There are a lot of federal and state land in these areas open to hunting. There are hunting and fishing regulations you can pick up in any sporting stores that explain the regs. There are differnt rules for different areas, and very different rules for native owned, trust owned, federal and state land. Fishing regs can change overnight particularly for Salmon. The Kenai area is also good, and in your drive radious, but your dollar might not go so far. Also, if the Fairbanks airport is an option, there is a lot of areas around Fairbanks that would BR in your drive, dollar and activity criteria.

Price will be higher if you have road access. Much of the property is remote, meaning you need a bush plane or snow machine access in winter. Some property you can ATV to it in the summer. So be cautious of remote. Another term is a wet or dry cabin. A dry cabin has no running water, bathroom, etc. Solar is an option during summer. In winter, not so much. My home gets no sunlight for 45 days during the winter as the sun dips below a mountain range.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Frontiersman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
Well you can't be around too long...Thank God.
I've got quite a bit of life left in me, and there's plenty more just like me. I'm not worried.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,669 Posts

ClovisMan, I would suggest the Kenai Peninsula as a good location. You listed several things that you are looking for that are important to you. I ask you, what "ONE" thing is the single most important thing you want.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,166 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
No disrespect, but personally I'd rather not see any more people moving up here. It's over-crowded as it is. I'm praying to see a mass exodus in which 95% of the population heads south, for good.

There are so many people full of **** and vinegar who come up thinking they're hot ****, and they're about the worst people to have up here. They ruin it. There's plenty of room in Wyoming, Montana, etc.
I wish all the trash would move out of Alabama too. I can wish in one hand and do something in the other also.
The Following User Says Thank You to spacemanspiff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Last Frontiersman

Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
I wish all the trash would move out of Alabama too. I can wish in one hand and do something in the other also.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,646 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajohn View Post
Also, if the Fairbanks airport is an option, there is a lot of areas around Fairbanks that would BR in your drive, dollar and activity criteria.
Nope, we filled the last spot last week.

OP,

A cruise and a "few days" in a rental are not going to tell you much.

I suggest if you are serious you really spend some time up here in the areas you are looking at. Get a feel for the place and the people before you move.

I have lived next to several people who bought property up here after an awesome cruise, only to bolt after reality set in.

I have a good friend from Texas. Well, I did. Lost him in the divorce. He loves to hunt down there. He spent three days in the woods up here and proclaimed "this is for the birds" before he left.

Oh, and don't forget.

Fairbanks is full.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Last Frontiersman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Red View Post
Oh, and don't forget.

Fairbanks is full.
Ditto the Kenai Peninsula.

I hear Anchorage has vacancies.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
I'm seriously considering buying in Alaska. Where would you buy and why.
I've never been to Alaska, but I am taking a cruise in July that will hit several ports and then docks in Seward. From there I am renting a car and driving around for a few days before having to fly back home. If there are any places I should definitely check out please let me know.

This will be a vacation/second home/cabin. I'd like to be within 5 hours drive of an airport but closer to fishing/hunting/4wheeling/etc. Amenities are not an issue as I will go solar in the cabin and rainwater tank or spring/river water. I would like to be able to drive my vehicle to the property or have less than an hour 4 wheeler/snow machine ride to the property. Am I asking too much?
Clovis, I would suggest skipping the cruise unless you are interested in SE Alaska. My suggestion would be to fly to anchorage or Fairbanks and get a rental and explore the interior, mat su valley and kenai peninsula. Each area offers hunting and remote living within hours of an airport. Each area differs from the other. The interior offers the least in salmon fishing, yet poses the best bet for decent remote property in your price range, while the kenai has better fishing and property towards the upper end of what you would like. The Mat Su has fishing and remoteness, but will be at a higher price. All three will offer hunting. Good luck
Old 12-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Survivor, so far

Thanked 251,009 Times in 30,404 Posts

Here is a link for the most complete Alaska dedicated forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting-to-Alaska

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Last edited by Carne Frio; 12-25-2015 at 10:26 PM..
Old 02-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Prepared

Why not widen your thought process. Consider Idaho and Montana. Both wonderful states with small populations.

Mr. Alaska is pretty funny really. AK is 640,000 square miles with less than 740,000 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me one or two more people wont make much difference. I live in Eastern Washington State and there are less than 1 million of us in the entire half of the state. The bad part are the "Communists" that occupy the state government in Olympia. Idaho at least is FULL of conservative republicans in public office.
The Following User Says Thank You to Survival_Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Frontiersman

No, one or two more wouldn't make a difference. The problem is, there's always one or two more.

And ten thousand "one or two more's" makes a HUGE difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival_Joe View Post
Why not widen your thought process. Consider Idaho and Montana. Both wonderful states with small populations.

Mr. Alaska is pretty funny really. AK is 640,000 square miles with less than 740,000 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to me one or two more people wont make much difference. I live in Eastern Washington State and there are less than 1 million of us in the entire half of the state. The bad part are the "Communists" that occupy the state government in Olympia. Idaho at least is FULL of conservative republicans in public office.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,187 Times in 15,023 Posts

Quote:
No, one or two more wouldn't make a difference. The problem is, there's always one or two more.

And ten thousand "one or two more's" makes a HUGE difference.
That is probably the same thing the Inuit said
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Last Frontiersman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosmom2 View Post
That is probably the same thing the Inuit said
Perhaps. Though it's a game that could be played ad infinitum.