Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good places to camp/hike in Western PA drageon13 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 02-25-2015 06:02 PM
Need help in finding a place to camp/hike for spring break Rjvcrisen5 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 01-29-2015 02:42 PM
Theodore Roosevelt on Immigration Mere_Man Political News and Discussion 4 11-19-2014 11:53 PM
Places to hike, camp or stealth camp in the UK? AmFloob Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 12-28-2013 07:59 PM
ol .22 for camp/hike...all around dugdog Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 25 01-25-2013 10:00 PM
What is your favorite California forest to hike and camp in? caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 11-21-2011 09:11 AM
Why would you camp/hike in that color? FallingHawk Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 71 01-04-2011 11:57 AM
anyone ever camp/hike on property for sale? cabledawg13 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 08-20-2010 01:37 PM
wheres a good place to hike/camp? damn wolves Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 08-19-2010 03:12 PM
Florida- ONF meet/camp/Hike March 20-21 rednecknoise Events, Connections and Get togethers 6 03-10-2010 12:05 PM

Old 07-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,172 Times in 1,811 Posts
Default Anyone hike or camp in Theodore Roosevelt NP?

Advertise Here

The entirety of my hiking and camping experience has been focused on or the Lake Superior "North Shore" region of Minnesota, and while I've barely scratched the surface of what the area has to offer, I'm trying to come up with some new locations that are within a reasonable driving distance for a long weekend excursion. One prospect I've been reading up on is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. From what I've found, one of the two campgrounds in the park has reservable walk-in campsites, which is my preference when camping someplace for the first time. Off-trail camping is also an option, but not necessarily what I'm after to start.

One of the more interesting-sounding spots in the park is the Petrified Forest Loop, which is described as a 10.3mi loop that starts/finishes quite near the campground, making it a very reasonable day hike and leaving plenty of time to explore elsewhere. Where exactly "elsewhere" might be, I haven't decided yet, but I'm curious if anyone has camped in the park and hiked that particular section of trail, either in late spring or early fall in particular. If so, what did you think of it?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM

i live in bismarck. i haven't camped there. here's two tips that i can offer.

there are rattle snakes and bull snakes look almost the same. i almost stepped on one at a well site and it makes a sound like a rattlesnake but you'll see it's tail has no rattle. they aren't poisonous.

bring a GPS because everything kind of looks the same. if you see any wild animals, same rules as everywhere, stay away from them.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,382 Times in 658 Posts

Not for a long time.Should be tamed down out there now that the boom has gone bust.