CityKitty's 2015 - 2019 garden - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dealfinder500's Thread dealfinder500 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1797 Yesterday 09:37 PM
IceFire's 2015 - 2019 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 495 10-03-2019 10:05 PM
Two Bits 2015 Garden two bits Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 127 03-22-2016 09:57 AM
H0ll0P01NTs Pacific NW Garden Thread 2015 H0ll0P01NT Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 12-11-2015 08:27 PM
vigilant20's 2015 garden / urban homestead vigilant20 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 54 12-03-2015 03:56 PM
How does you garden grow 2015 kelee877 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 80 11-15-2015 01:38 PM
Darwath's 2015 Garden Lord Darwath Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 44 08-28-2015 11:13 AM
My 2015 Container Vegetable Garden: Let's Try This Again! The Shadow Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 2 05-01-2015 04:32 PM
CityKitty's 2014 garden citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 96 04-13-2015 08:27 AM
CityKitty's 2013 Garden Thread citykittyatheart Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 65 10-21-2013 08:52 AM

Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,725 Times in 849 Posts

Advertise Here

I put a couple of the smaller potatoes into another pot on the deck and they've come up. Let's see if I get more!

Since the radishes haven't grown well I pulled them and planted summer squash. Let's try something different and see how that works. The radishes have failed twice and the lettuce has taken twice as long to mature as normal. I also ate a salad's worth of that and it was a bit bitter. I didn't see any sign of it bolting so not sure why it's so bitter.

More cantaloupes maturing. I've got a couple more under the leaves too. About half dozen so far if I get them all.

That's it for now! Off to eat something and process some pickles. Happy prepping!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,779 Times in 5,041 Posts

DO NOT eat the potato fruits! They are poisonous on an order similar to the original "old world tomatoes" aka Nightshade.

On the other hand, I do have a tomato stealing squirrel I wish I could slip a few of those to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
DO NOT eat the potato fruits! They are poisonous on an order similar to the original "old world tomatoes" aka Nightshade.

On the other hand, I do have a tomato stealing squirrel I wish I could slip a few of those to.
Thank you! Good to know. Preferably the easy way
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,196 Times in 7,287 Posts

CK, Your garden produce is looking great!

Mine here ends about July 4 except for a few very hardy peppers, etc. Can't wait for the autumn garden to start producing!
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Hunter

One side note: I've found what appears to be an interesting trellis option to replace the Contraption next year. It's called a Vine Spine; metal, adjustable, and made in the USA. Use the code CommonSense until December 1 to get 20% off of your order:

http://shop.bbponline.com/trellises

That's not my blog btw so I don't get any commission out of it. I've also ordered the compost bin since it's illegal in my lovely town to have compost that isn't binned. It'll give me a good place to store my yard waste until Spring when the city will pick it up for me. These products are modular and mobile. I'll let you know more once I check them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Hunter

I made a very pleasant discovery last night:

I picked a few of the low-hanging veggies just to stay ahead of the critters. All in all looks like a batch of meat sauce! Yay! Plenty more on the vine too.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,912 Times in 7,965 Posts

Might want to check recipes for fried green tomatoes....
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Hunter

Just a quick update before I get to the paying work today. I've fulfilled my goal of making my meat sauce from my own tomatoes this year! This is my 8 qt pot filled with them:

Which made 17 pints:

I had to use store bought tomato paste, but overall it turned out just stellar! Truly it's said that there's no tomato like a home-grown tomato. There's plenty on the vine yet for more, and some paste on top of it.

I've mentioned having difficulty with my strawberries. I noticed these dead flowers when I went out of pick maters. These are the same flowers from the previous picture. I have no idea why they died!

I got the plants from Amazon. I've ordered a different variety from Stark Bros and I'm going to plant them in my old garlic bed. One change I'm planning to make for next year is blow off growing cauliflower in the raised bed and plant garlic there instead. I need more garlic than I've been getting and strawberry makes a nice hedge plant, whereas cauliflower heads have been too tiny to make it really worth my while. I might try it back on the deck since I remember it doing better in the head formation department up there. I'm also going to pull the rest of the lettuce from the VegTrug since it's bitter, YUCK!

Stuff is dying off, although I got another cucumber this morning. My artichokes are dying, possibly from being root bound. They have HUGE roots and probably don't like being potted much. However, what it would take to keep them alive outside through the winter is insane so fukit. They're not a native plant so why fight Mother Nature. I'll just grow stuff that grows well here and be happy in my full belly.

Yesterday was a very productive day. In addition to the 17 pints of meat sauce I froze 4 quart bags of veg. My freezers are filling! I won't be buying veg this winter And since I had my own tomatoes, that meat sauce cost me about $2.50 per jar, including meat. Labor not included in price, but hey TV was crappy anyway. I think I'll go buy the next season of the Dukes of Hazzard MUCH better entertainment than most of what's on these days! Paying work first however. Sigh. Thank you Lord for all of my blessings!

Happy Prepping!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Might want to check recipes for fried green tomatoes....
I've looked at a few of those. Winter For now they're ripening nicely and I have plans for them
Old 08-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Hunter

Speaking of tomatoes, here's this week's haul:

Since my last update I've made another two batches of meat sauce, for a total of 30-ish pint jars. I might make one more, but these beauties are probably going for soup. And there's more on the vines yet!

My first stab at tomato paste. I reduced the contents of the pan by 2/3 and the sauce was still a bit runny, so I'll probably reduce just a bit more next time.

To help me with my strawberry dilemma, the nice folks at Wisconsin Vegetable Gardener sent this resource:

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/08/...-strawberries/

My strawberries are three years old, as is my blackberry, and while both are growing neither is producing berries. Could be varmints, could be they don't like living with my comfrey bush-I understand now that comfrey is very nutrient hungry, and obviously plants need lots of nutrients in order to fruit. I've been trying to move that comfrey, but it has a huge taproot! I think they'll be seeing my comfrey in China in a few years! I've also ordered a different variety of strawberry from Stark Bros just in case it's a pollination issue. Also Amazon plants can be fine-my bay leaf tree came from there-or not.

My beans have produced a ton of pods! Squash is also growing nicely in the VegTrug. I'll try to post some pics this weekend. Other stuff, such as cucumbers and melons, are dying off. I've got a half-dozen melons still ripening, but cukes seem pretty much done. I've pulled all of the lettuce & spinach since what was growing was quite bitter; I think that cheap potting soil was worth about what I paid for it! It's compacted big time, which usually doesn't bode well for root development. I'll probably just clean the deck off for the year soon. No sense trying to grow this late in the year when I've had so little success to date. Oh well. Garden and learn.

Got to run, duty calls Happy prepping!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Better to get the experience now, when there's produce in the grocery store, than later, when there ain't any to be had....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Hunter

Time for another update! I can't believe it's almost Labor Day! I've been extremely busy between paying work and food processing, no time for much else! If it weren't for my volunteer gigs and the need for bread & milk I'd never get out!

Who would have thought that putting my tomatoes in dirt rather than a container would have made such a difference! These plants are over six feet tall and have been producing like anything.

I can't tell you how many pounds of tomatoes I've processed so far this year. This is my usual 8 quart pot filled with cored, peeled, & cut up 'maters. I made 15 pints of soup from these, which except for the labor & spices, cost me $0.

I must not have taken a picture of the jars. They look a great deal like other jars filled with tomato soup. As I said, 15 pints.

My very first red bell pepper. That saved me $2 at the store, and there are quite a few more on the plants yet. Next year I won't plant these in the tomato bed. I had to work to make sure the tomatoes didn't shade them out!

The proceeds from my potato bed. I'm guessing about 15 pounds; better than last year but still a bit disappointing from a 4'x4' bed. I used new seed too! Hybrids I think. Next year maybe try new seed of standard baby red.

Next, the deck.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Hunter

The squash plants are small but they're flowering. I don't know if I'll get any summer squash but hey, garden and learn. As I said before, I pulled all of the other stuff. Just hated to see the pot wasted!

These are my oregano and parsley pots, which are FINALLY taking off! If you look closely you'll see the fill lines of the pots. I fill to the top line, so you can see how much this year's potting soil has compacted. I'm sure that's been a large part of my lack of production from the pots this year.

One potato plant put in dirt a month or so ago. I emptied the pot whose plant had died back, to a tune of 3 more spuds than I had before! Keep in mind that I'd already taken half of the plants from that pot. Still nice to know that spuds will grow this way. I'll keep it in mind for next year.

The rest of the deck is pretty much done. I've cleaned off everything except the Earth Boxes containing the finishing melons & cukes. Everything else is gone, and the deck is looking a bit bare. Seems better to do this a bit at a time rather than all at once though. Getting old is rough

Next, the lower garden.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Hunter

The new strawberries arrived yesterday. No place like dirt! That upper middle plant is probably one of the other variety, mysteriously traveled from the other bed. Cross-pollination can't hurt!

Another traveler I think: the comfrey bush I've been trying to move. Now just to keep beating it back in the bed I shouldn't have put it in in the first place! One bush will give me plenty.

Beans galore! I have lots of pods, and the pods are huge! I let them dry on the plant; they've got a good month yet I'd say. Our fall frost date is Sept 30-Oct 30; these are too big to cold frame so I'm keeping an eye out.

Those blackberries are growing better than I thought!

This was a pleasant surprise. I've got a few more of these. Not enough for jam but perhaps a bowlful, if the varmints don't get there first!

Other than that, things are cleaned out. Cauliflower and potato beds are clean, I should clean out the broccoli bed but the bees seem to like the flowers so I left them for a bit. The plum trees seem happy:

Obviously I need to beat the other small trees back yet again! Trimming them until they die vs digging them-about the same amount of work I guess. If SHTF those trees will help give my house that vacant, don't bother with me look. This is good. Given the crazy way the stock market has been behaving, well, it's enough to make a woman paranoid! That may however be a basic prepper quality. Not sure on that one.

Another weekend in the kitchen! Thanks as always for following my thread. In the meantime, happy prepping!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Hunter

The gardening season is really winding down now. I've cleared off the deck entirely except for the two herb pots and the two potato pots. The squash flowered and died without setting any fruit, let alone yielding anything. I might try that again next year however, planted a bit earlier of course. My salad greens didn't work out well either; a couple of bowls of bitter lettuce for all of that work isn't what I'd call a success! Neither the spinach nor the radishes produced at all. The potatoes weren't bad in those containers, and the herbs might have been better if I'd used a better grade of potting soil. I have exactly one artichoke plant left, and that's been moved to a raised bed. It's as sheltered as possible, and I plan to cut it back and cover it up so it might survive the winter. If it doesn't then so ends the Great Artichoke Experiment! It seems to be happy in its new home so far but we're a long way from subzero!

Ugh, just what I needed, more comfrey! Granted the stuff has its uses but I really don't need a yard full of it! I'll work on removing it again next spring although I'm a bit dubious LOL!

The tomatoes are winding down but still producing. I might get one more batch each of meat sauce and salsa out of them.

Since the cheap potting soil hasn't proven itself the greatest choice, I didn't want to put in into the raised beds. I also need to move my original "bed" out of my driveway so I purchased a simple bin. My other yard leavings can go into this, to hopefully improve the cheap stuff, while I shovel the old pile into the raised beds. Seems that the city has a "thing" about compost piles-they have to be "contained." Good thing I've got enough stuff growing in there to make it look like another raised bed, but that'll make shoveling harder. I might just leave it and throw some potatoes in there next year.

I haven't taken any more pictures since there's not much more really to show. I still have a few beans and some broccoli left in addition to the tomatoes and bell peppers; other than that the beds are all cleaned out.

Lessons from this year:

-Cheap potting soil is worth exactly what I paid for it. If I must buy some again next year, then definitely get the good stuff!

-Tomatoes love ground! They grow very very big in ground. Give them room. Plant the bell peppers somewhere else. They also love ground.

-Broccoli can be cut back after the central head is gone, and will produce nicely all summer. I used Calabrese Green again this year, and cutting it back gave me a far greater return on my investment than trying the second crop like I did last year.

-Cauliflower and melons haven't been very successful for me. Therefore, why waste my time. Grow something else.

-My CSA share was a great investment! I won't have to buy one single vegetable this winter. I have a ton of stuff put away, including cauliflower I've also saved some of the seeds from stuff I'd like to grow myself. Nothing like free seeds, right?

-Amazon tomatoes need better trellises. The Contraption luckily stayed up all season, partly because I braced it. Next year I'm trying the Vine Spine from BetterBilt, which is a lightweight but sturdy looking modular trellis. Has to be an upgrade at least!

-I don't know why my original strawberries haven't produced anything but leaves and runners. I might just plow them under and let the blackberry bush have the space. They actually produced a few hand fulls for me, in addition to what the wasps got. I don't argue with wasps. I planted a different strawberry variety from a reliable source in a different area of the yard.

-The solar security light has survived well enough that I purchased a couple more for other areas of the yard. Small $15-$30 lights can be replaced every few years without worry and don't add to my electric bill. Take that Cap & Trade!

-One raised bed of beans has produced one pint jar of edibles. Doesn't seem like much, even considering that beans do good things for soil. The plants are still there so I might get more. When allowing pods to dry on the vine, keep an eye on them. Sometimes they stay wet and sprout, or worse, rot!

-Don't mow your garden hose unless you really need a reason to buy a new one. Duct tape will help but not permanently.

No doubt I'll think of a few more things Plans for next year (so far):

Hugely enlarged garlic bed. Either one of the 4x4 beds or on each end of the big tomato beds, depending upon when the tomatoes are done. The weather is turning unfriendly so I might be able to intercrop with this.

I might try peas in the deck along with several more pots of potatoes. Cucumber is probably moving down to the raised beds. They grow well in the deck containers but I like to move stuff around year to year.

Plant squash earlier, either on the deck or in one of the beds with the nice trellis attached.

Broccoli does well here. Plant again next year. Tomatoes and bell peppers ditto.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the lettuce and spinach. I like planting it on the deck to keep it away from the rabbits, but IT doesn't seem to like containers Other people are growing the stuff in containers very well. Research this. I like salad.

Again, will probably think of more. I'll let you know. Happy prepping!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Hunter

Greetings! It's time for my last update of the season. Everything has been cleaned out and I'm down to my last batch of tomatoes to process. I have no idea how many pounds I got but I can tell you this: as of this writing I have 83 pint jars of tomato-related items in my pantry. Not counting what I've already eaten, I have 38 jars of meat sauce, 15 jars of soup, 9 jars of salsa, and 19 jars of chili. This last batch will be making salsa and I expect 5-6 jars. That will put the count near 90, all with my own tomatoes! I'd say that I made my humble goal in spades.

My last chili run of the year. I had to use bison meat since my regular beef vendor wasn't there so that upped my cost per jar a bit. Oh well. Bison is much less fatty that beef therefore healthier. My inner fat person is already far enough out!

My one and only pear run this year. These come late in the season so I bought when I saw them last week for the first time. Today is the last Wednesday market and since I have a pistol lesson I doubt I'll make it there. So, I jumped on what there was and made 19 pints of pears.

One full and semi-hidden compost pile. I had to put the rest of the yard "waste" out to the curb. As I've said, my city has a "thing" about compost and gardens in general. Just because I own the property evidently doesn't negate the city's desire to control what I do with it.

My blackberry bushes have made nice progress this year! I've seen rabbits in there more than once despite the bird netting, so I'm sure that's where the berries went. This may also be true of my strawberries. Those are dying off and I got a whopping 1.

Now I lay me down to sleep! As I've said, everything is cleaned out and done for the year. The leaf-covered bed is the new garlic bed. I put 6-7 varieties of garlic in, mostly hard neck for the scapes. The weeds growing in the beds form a convenient ground cover so I've left them there. The Contraption went into the garbage bin with my thanks. There's no reusing it! I'm lucky that it lasted the entire season. I did keep the boards I used to brace it however. I'll think of something to do with those.

I've been considering my evolution as a prepper over the past five years, since I bought my first canned goods. Perhaps everyone goes down this same road-first the canned goods and MREs, then on to growing & processing food. Most of my canned stuff has been rotated out to various food banks although I still have the MREs that I spent $400 on that allegedly have a 20 year shelf life. I've gone from storing a ton of those cheap bottled waters to a few of those and some AquaBricks along with some juice, Gatorade/Powerade and even cans of soda. From my first year canning three years ago, I've evolved from "oh boy that sounds good, I'll make some" and "what a pretty looking recipe, I'll make some" to simply canning what I eat. The Beef in Wine sauce didn't taste bad but it looks like dog food, and the Cauliflower in White Wine Vinegar looks really pretty in the jar but was QUITE tart! I had to toss three cases of canned cole slaw since it didn't keep well and I'm not yet hungry enough to eat that icky-looking gray stuff! Lots of work undone right there. Can what you eat sounds simple enough, but it's taken me a couple of years to really figure out what I like. As many preppers no doubt discover, there's a BIG difference in taste between home processed and store bought! This year I only canned a few different things: meat sauce, chili, salsa, soup, and pears. I did learn how to make jam, and promptly tossed whatever I had left of the store-bought swill. I've frozen lots more, including cole slaw I feel as though I've learned a great deal about food processing, and I know there's still plenty to learn. At least as prices go up in the store, I have a different option! My CSA box cost me $12.50 per week and was quite packed. My potato bins are full between what I got from them and what I grew, at least 20-30 pounds of potatoes! So I'm set for quite awhile on various things, needing to make the big shopping run only for bread, milk, TP, and cat related items. I've noticed the drop in my grocery bill too.

Well, that's it for another year! Thank you as always for following my thread. You're a great audience and I appreciate the interaction. I've become involved with a child of the Victory Garden Initiative so I don't know how much time I'll have for online interactions at this point, so I want to wish all of you well and Happy Prepping! I close this year's thread as I've always closed them:

FINIS

Last edited by citykittyatheart; 10-07-2015 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: to fix pictures
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Survivor

Excellent ending statement to a pretty constructive year, citykitty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM

looks like a fabouls garden
The Following User Says Thank You to tarpman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,196 Times in 7,287 Posts

I've enjoyed following your gardening adventures. And what a garden! Wonderful experience - I've been following like a serial event

Looking forward to your next season!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Survivor

2016 thread?