Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anti White, Anti American, Anti Arizona SB 1070 protesters desecrate American Flag madcritter General Discussion 47 04-18-2014 01:13 AM
American Idol Now Relevant in American Politics 9111315 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 2 01-03-2014 11:13 AM
American Fall- An American Revolution Disastersurvivalnet Books, Movies & Stories 0 11-02-2013 08:46 PM
Prague, a great p[lace to shoot some some guns. Jubbles British Isles and ROI 9 11-10-2012 01:22 PM
US-Backed Syrian "Opposition" Burn American Flag in Aleppo Chant Anti-American Slogan oxi Controversial News and Alternative Politics 1 09-17-2012 09:25 AM
Steyr 95 Stutzen Carbine Austria or Budapest mfg, 8x56R Caliber - $99 and Up apps47inc For Sale 0 06-21-2012 08:33 PM
American SF or American/Brit PMC spotted in Libya Mittelmorder General Discussion 21 06-13-2011 07:52 PM

Old 04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 42,824 Times in 14,057 Posts
Default an american in Prague/Budapest

Advertise Here

We leave next week for our trip. Considering the castle in Prague is closed to our ambassador, how will we be received there?
I promise im not CIA, just a dude who likes history, goulash and beer. The wife just want to look at shoes...
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,769 Posts

The people are lovely and friendly but that's a heck of a place to go shoe shopping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,386 Times in 6,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
We leave next week for our trip. Considering the castle in Prague is closed to our ambassador, how will we be received there?
I promise im not CIA, just a dude who likes history, goulash and beer. The wife just want to look at shoes...
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO). A few suggestions for you:

There is a tour you can sign up for that involves riding in a double-deck bus which is a fascinating way to discover things around the city to explore later on your own. (Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.

Have fun. Prague is a great city to explore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,705 Times in 4,968 Posts

Isn't Prague considered the spy capitol of the world? Could be an intriguing time...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,442 Posts

isn't prague known for really tall beautiful women? why the heck are you taking your wife?
The Following User Says Thank You to whiskyrebellion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,758 Times in 6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO).

(Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.
Gotta agree with you. My favorite country out of the 6 I visited.

When I went it was just before they switched to the Euro and we're still using the crown. The exchange rate was 30 to 1. We ate like kings for very cheap and the authentic food in the smaller places was awesome. The architecture of the churches is beautiful. My only advice is beware of the beggers on the St. Charles bridge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 42,824 Times in 14,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
The people are lovely and friendly but that's a heck of a place to go shoe shopping.
Shoe "looking". I might let her drive a tank with me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in all of Europe (IMHO). A few suggestions for you:

There is a tour you can sign up for that involves riding in a double-deck bus which is a fascinating way to discover things around the city to explore later on your own. (Go for the Pilsner Urquel - it's original Czech beer - but also the Budvar or Budweiser - its not at all like American Budweiser.) while the restaurants around the square are trendy, they are also expensive. If you find one of the smaller restaurants while wandering through the streets, it will be authentic food at decent prices.

Have fun. Prague is a great city to explore.
Ive been wanting to go since 2003. First thing we usually do in a foreign city is do the hop on hop off tour with a free walking tour to get our feel. Of course I have a large list of must-sees a couple of day trips out to kutna hora for the bone church, cesky Crumlov and the many local sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrebellion View Post
isn't prague known for really tall beautiful women? why the heck are you taking your wife?
Im not taking her as much as she is following me. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Gotta agree with you. My favorite country out of the 6 I visited.

When I went it was just before they switched to the Euro and we're still using the crown. The exchange rate was 30 to 1. We ate like kings for very cheap and the authentic food in the smaller places was awesome. The architecture of the churches is beautiful. My only advice is beware of the beggers on the St. Charles bridge.
They haven't converted yet from the cz yet. It will be much better than the 2:1 exchange rate when we were in the UK, not to mention $1.10 20oz delicious beer goodness. The rate is currently 28-1.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,758 Times in 6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
They haven't converted yet from the cz yet. It will be much better than the 2:1 exchange rate when we were in the UK, not to mention $1.10 20oz delicious beer goodness. The rate is currently 28-1.
I had heard they were changing the year after I was there and that was 15 years ago. Thanks for the info. Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Wild Wild... East

Thanked 1,052 Times in 605 Posts

Neither Prague or Budapest are not into Romania.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,030 Times in 463 Posts

Only been to Prague, avoid the tourist pubs, irish themed etc, they are expensive and dull, not many locals in. It is a while since I was there (10 yrs) but the main touristy bits late at night were pretty sleazy, drugs and women being offered openly.

The locals seem very keen on gambling, there were a number of bars that had huge off track bookmakers in them.

We sat in a local bar drinking very nice beer for a fraction of the tourist bars and had some great crack with the locals.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,279 Posts

I am half Czech and half Hungarian. Both sets of Grandparents grew up in each country.

I have been to both Prague and Budapest, (2001).

All my life my Mother told me that Czech's and Hungarians are very different people. The Czech's are more straight forward and aloof, while the Hungarians are very outgoing and gregarious.

My European tour guide agreed with this categorization. She said there is a saying in Europe:

"Beware a Hungarian in a revolving door behind you, because he may exit in front of you"

When I asked her what this meant, she said, Hungarians maintained private land and business ownership under Soviet rule. Other neighboring countries did not. Many say they were able to do this because of their innate ability to "smooze" and make the best of a bad situation.

You will notice a difference in demeanor between the people of the Czech Republic and Hungary. Czech's aren't rude, they are just more aloof.

If you can visit Slovakia, it is basically a more "rural" Czech Republic.

You will see things there you will never see anywhere in the states. Driving into Prague we went past miles and miles and miles or dull gray concrete multi story apartment buildings the Soviets built.

I got some WWII and later Czech stamps from Prague street vendor. A few stamps have Hitler on them and a few have Stalin and other Soviet leaders.

Finally, beware of pick pockets in any country over there. Stay situationally aware at all times.