Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Germany's solar power just fed into the national grid to power 50% of the country Unbelievable General Discussion 48 10-21-2016 05:22 PM
Power monkey: portable solar power paramilusmc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 09-19-2016 11:21 AM
Solar Power beastlet Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 09-10-2014 07:01 AM
Solar powered fan / Storing solar power sambaker Reviews and questions 1 01-25-2014 11:52 AM
EMP's and Solar Power or Wind Power Dixie_Dude General Discussion 2 05-07-2013 01:32 PM
Solar power Fireboy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 01-25-2013 11:40 PM
How much solar power? shrink Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 03-07-2011 12:45 PM
Solar Power 2 x C Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-02-2010 11:40 AM
Solar Power?? skud Reviews and questions 2 10-20-2008 09:42 PM
solar power wadedog Urban Survival 9 09-28-2008 10:19 PM

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts
Default Solar Power

Advertise Here

Wondering if any of you fellow Minnesotans spend much on solar power? Seems like we have so few days of good sun that it doesn't make a lot of sense?

I have this: Amazon.com: ALLPOWERS™ 10000mAh Solar Panel... cover
Amazon.com: ALLPOWERS™ 10000mAh Solar Panel...
It's ok on a nice sunny day in July-August but other than that it doesn't do very well.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

I do keep a little cheap solar panel to charge my cell phone in my bag. Actually works pretty good, when we have sunlight.

I do plan on getting a nicer Goal Zero brand solar panel in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jager78 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Likes freedom

Default Minnesota / Wisconsin Solar

Currently, I do not own solar panels. I've been interested for a while, but sometimes other financial tradeoffs get in the way of pursuing things like this.

I just talked to a guy at the "Prepper Expo" in Bloomington that actually gets most of his power from solar. He lives across the border in Wisconsin. I guess he was upset when the electric company was going to overcharge him for hooking up to the grid and decided he could do better himself. I believe he also runs a propane or gas generator for backup.

There are a couple people I know that use solar on their campers for off grid camping. One relative of mine uses solar on his pickup camper. It runs his laptop and his blower pretty well during deer hunting season. By the end of the season, his batteries are closer to dying, but of course he is way up North in some of the darkest times of the year in the woods. Not ideal for solar, but it gets the job done.

My two cents on solar is this... Start small and expand slowly. I would probably not try to hook into your existing system. Instead, get experience and use solar for supplemental lighting and power. For example, add solar to that shed, garage, or outbuilding that has no lighting. Or add solar to a camper or truck topper for off the grid use.

If you do decide to hook up to your house, be aware that Minnesota's rebates require you to sell your solar to power companies (If you sign up for the rebate program). So if you take advantage of those programs, you may be more of a power generator for Xcel than for yourself. Of course, in a TEOTWAWKI situation, maybe switching back to powering your own house is not that big of a deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timesarechanging For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Prepared

I include a little bit of solar in my preps. I buy the usb battery packs when radioshack,etc. has them on sale. In my car i have a 3W solar maintainer i embeded a 5v regulator in and wired a usb cable to. I also have 2 1.5W panels in my trunk that i can wire up to the 3W panel for additional power. I also bought a 1.5W 4.5v panel when it was on sale at radioshack and soldered a usb plug directly onto the wires. on a sunny day it'll overload my pocket multimeter that maxes out over 200ma. It may not keep the 42inch LCD tv on in my livingroom but i can use it to recharge my usb battery packs and use those to charge my cellphone, If needed, i have a 15W panel from harbor freight in storage. Just for fun i wired a 5v regulator to that and plugged it directly into my phone. it worked until the regulator overheated and got hot enough to cut through the heatshrink i had on it to protect the wires.
The Following User Says Thank You to metalwolf For This Useful Post: