CRKT Woods Chogan - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRKT Woods Chogan T-Hawk Tomahawk AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-19-2014 08:30 PM
CRKT Mossy500cstm Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos 6 01-20-2014 05:53 AM
CRKT introduces Kangee and Chogan tomahawks AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-14-2014 07:30 PM
CRKT Ripple chrismoore Knives, Swords & Axes 3 08-30-2012 05:24 PM
CRKT wolfz190 Knives, Swords & Axes 30 07-25-2012 11:06 PM
Crkt m21-04g Hungry Knives, Swords & Axes 9 02-17-2012 01:32 PM
CRKT M16 anyone? awmiscool Knives, Swords & Axes 14 10-28-2011 10:13 AM
Crkt m16-14d Boberama Knives, Swords & Axes 12 06-27-2011 01:53 AM
Crkt muk Watchdog Knives, Swords & Axes 3 08-04-2010 12:23 AM
CRKT M16 AutoLAWKS hatrixz Knives, Swords & Axes 3 04-28-2009 06:21 PM

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,019 Times in 3,649 Posts
Default CRKT Woods Chogan

Advertise Here

I am not going to say a lot about this T-Hawk because I just got it last night and it is my first T-Hawk, but I do like it a lot so far.

I am not big on tomahawks - I just wanted a hatchet/belt axe that was bigger than my Schrade SCAXE2 hatchet.

I like the Schrade, but at 1# 5 ounces with an 11" handle, it is too light for many splitting and chopping chores - only soft wood that is already split down to under 3" will split easy with this hatchet. I use it sitting next to the stove to make small kindling, but to split stacked firewood down further from 6" chunks, I have been using my full sized axe. Some of those chunks I burn as is, but to start a fire I need them smaller.

The CRKT Chogan was pretty close to a "belt axe" - 2 pounds and 19" handle.

When I got it, I went out and tried splitting some soft wood and it did fine, so I tried some hard wood (mostly maple, some alder) and it worked fine on that too. I tried a longer piece of maple and it had a problem with that, it took more tries and got stuck a couple of times, but it worked.

The extra weight and longer handle make a difference.

I also wanted a "belt axe" that had a more round handle than conventional axes and hatchets, so if I am in the woods and I need to replace the handle, it will be easier to replace than if I have to spend time finding wood and whittling it down to fit an oblong eye in the axe/hatchet head.

In short, it is a good compromise between a small hatchet and a full size axe. With some mods, this will be what I carry with me in the woods as it does what I need it to do. The hatchet is too light to do the work I want (although it is better than any knife is at splitting or chopping and I have a full sized khukri) and the full sized axe is too large and heavy.

I would change a few things if I were the designer though:

1) I would serrate the hammer poll so that it wouldn't slip off pegs hammered into the ground, or nails, or whatever.

2) I would make the taper from the blade edge to the eye more gradual and thicker - less like a t-hawk and more like a hatchet or axe. When the head gets stuck in wood, the blade is into the wood up to the eye and then stops. I would also extend the blade upwards to be more like a conventional axe/hatchet. Both of these would give the head more weight too.

I plan to do some mods myself. I will probably serrate the poll and I will wrap some line around the handle a couple of places, especially at the end; as is necessary to fit through the eye of the head, the handle end is a thinner diameter, so it tends to slip out of your hand while swinging. That may be okay for throwing it (not something I am into) but not good for chopping or splitting.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 AM
To the surface!

British Belt Axe from Ragweed Forge:

I will probably get one of these too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Noble Savage

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post

I have the Bearded Axe from Ragweed Forge and I'm very happy with it

I'm sure the British one will work well for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axethebarbarian For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,409 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:

I like the looks of that belt axe. How does it perform?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM
To the surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
I like the looks of that belt axe. How does it perform?
I don't know, I haven't got it yet.

Got to digging into it, and I think almost all of the axes/hatchets/t-hawks he sells are not actually forged, but rather cast. So I am holding off.

I do like the Chogan though (it is forged).
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,613 Times in 761 Posts

I have Ragnar's British Belt Axe and yes, it's drop forged. It carries well and performs belt Axe duty flawlessly. I keep hatchets and belt axes hair popping sharp because I use them more for cross cut, limbing and that sort of thing. It holds an edge very well. It does not come with a cover, something to bear in mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chops For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Hunter

Quote:
I don't know, I haven't got it yet.

Got to digging into it, and I think almost all of the axes/hatchets/t-hawks he sells are not actually forged, but rather cast. So I am holding off.

I do like the Chogan though (it is forged).
I like the looks and reviews of the Chogan. I have had it on my Amazon wish list for a while now but I just haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger on buying it.

I also like the Kangee but the drawback is that it has a spike rather than a hammer.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
I have Ragnar's British Belt Axe and yes, it's drop forged. It carries well and performs belt Axe duty flawlessly. I keep hatchets and belt axes hair popping sharp because I use them more for cross cut, limbing and that sort of thing. It holds an edge very well. It does not come with a cover, something to bear in mind.
The lack of a cover does not bother me. I can make a leather cover and belt carrier for it easy enough. What are the pros & cons between forged and drop forged/cast?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,608 Times in 6,921 Posts

I just bought a Husqvarna carpenters axe on Amazon, I'm not home yet to check it out, but it was delivered a couple days ago. I work on the road, so I won't be home until next Friday to tune it up.

Amazon.com : Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe :... cover
Amazon.com : Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe :...
"The axe has a straight cutting edge used for whittling and carving. The head is hand forged of top quality hand forged Swedish steel and constructed so that the hand gets as close as possible to the cutting edge for maximum control. Handle is the ol' trusted solid hickory with a lanyard hole. Comes with its own leather sheath (not shown).Weight: 2.2 lbs. (1 kg)DimensionsLength of Head: 6-1/4"Face of Head: 4"Back of Head Length: 2"Width of Head: 1"Length Handle: 19-1/2"
Old 04-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Thread killer

Thanked 1,613 Times in 761 Posts

Drop forged is poured of molten steel and shaped, forged is shaped with forge and hammer. Most commercial axes and hatchets, all cold steel Tommy's are drop forged. GB, some Wetterlings and several other pricier tools are forged. Forged are pricier because of the craftsmanship of a handmade item as well as the ability to mix steels. A harder steel can be forge welded to a softer head and eye. In hatchets and tomahawks, I have seen very little discernable difference, contrary to what the prices are. Just my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chops For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Drop forged is poured of molten steel and shaped, forged is shaped with forge and hammer. Most commercial axes and hatchets, all cold steel Tommy's are drop forged. GB, some Wetterlings and several other pricier tools are forged. Forged are pricier because of the craftsmanship of a handmade item as well as the ability to mix steels. A harder steel can be forge welded to a softer head and eye. In hatchets and tomahawks, I have seen very little discernable difference, contrary to what the prices are. Just my opinion.
Thank you for the 411!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 PM
To the surface!

Drop forged is fine - it has the advantages of forging; i.e., the strength that comes from the realignment of the metal grain structure.

Casting without forging doesn't give you that, so when someone says a metal part is cast, it generally isn't as strong as being drop forged.

I didn't read anywhere on the Ragweed Forge sight where he said what he sold was forged in any way - he said most of what he sold was cast. Unless I misunderstood or misread it.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 AM
Noble Savage

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Drop forged is fine - it has the advantages of forging; i.e., the strength that comes from the realignment of the metal grain structure.

Casting without forging doesn't give you that, so when someone says a metal part is cast, it generally isn't as strong as being drop forged.

I didn't read anywhere on the Ragweed Forge sight where he said what he sold was forged in any way - he said most of what he sold was cast. Unless I misunderstood or misread it.
They are cast stainless steel, but because of the fact that stainless is by its nature harder than carbon steel it does take and hold a decent edge and the heads themselves are thick enough that they aren't going to bend or break. I've used mine quite a lot for everything from wood processing to butchering and even throwing. No problems at all. Ragnar personally sharpens them too. Really I think if you get one you'll be happy with it. They aren't "high end" axes but they will do what an axe should be able to do and they aren't unreasonably priced.