Leatherman Wingman Review - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: Leatherman Leap AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-10-2014 09:00 PM
Review: Leatherman By The Numbers #4 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-03-2014 09:00 PM
Review: Leatherman Juice S2 LastManStandingInc Reviews and questions 0 09-17-2012 06:49 PM
Review of the Leatherman MUT badkarma Knives, Swords & Axes 0 04-16-2012 07:24 AM
Leatherman Wingman lionatheart Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 01-02-2012 11:06 AM
Wingman? (Leatherman) sarge912 Knives, Swords & Axes 8 11-21-2011 03:20 PM
Review - Leatherman Wave Multi-Tool Tradecraft Reviews and questions 0 02-13-2011 08:36 PM
Leatherman MUT Countryman Knives, Swords & Axes 0 10-23-2010 03:35 PM
Leatherman Skeletool CX Review azcfi Knives, Swords & Axes 2 10-28-2008 06:42 AM

Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM

Default Leatherman Wingman Review

Advertise Here

Ok guys. Last review I put out was pretty horrible. Ill try it again. Might be better, might be worse. Read on and find out.

I didnt like multi tools until last week. I was at this small amish store and was browsing their tool selection. First thing that caught my eye was a new leatherman wingman for $25. For $25 I decided to give it a try.

From what I've read the wingman is a medium sized multi tool. It has a total of 14 tools. Its kind of heavy at 7oz. and is almost "4 closed. But the size and weight are worth it for this much versatility.

The knife is 2.6 inches and partially serrated. It's made out of 420HC steel. It was sharp out of the box but I touched it up got a really nice edge on it. It holds it ok.

The screwdrivers are kinda funny. They're flat instead of round but they work fine. The scissors are amazing! Really sharp and useful. The needlenose pliers are spring action, which I like a lot.

The can and bottle openers are okay, but not as good as the ones on my swiss army knife. The file worked ok. I didn't try the "package opener". Seems kind of hokey but it could be used for other things like boxes.

I think this is a good multi tool for edc and maybe for a bug out bag. Although the 7oz weight might be too much for some people, you can make it work. The pocket clip helps a lot with the weight. Well I hope this review went better. Pics are on the way.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM

Last edited by MeanBeaver; 03-18-2015 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: pics added
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,759 Times in 5,387 Posts

Love mine. Had it for about two years without issue.
$25 is a good deal these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:

Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 27,708 Times in 9,606 Posts

Ditto. IMO the SAK Champ is the overall best knife in the world. For work in urban environs, the Leather man Wingman is superb. The Sidekick is my leather man pick for being in the woods due to saw.

Getting back to the Sidekick, the quality and value cannot be beat. I take it with me on engineering try outs - and use it - all the time. The full size pliers can get real work done. The scissors are outstanding.

The flathead screwdriver needed to be touched up with a file as it came too dull to be useful for smaller screws.

Let me tell you, in comparison to an entire toolbox of tools, the Wingman comes out on top as the single most used tool. I do not carry it in corporate America (but my Remington Insignia) but always take it with me for practical evaluation of development products.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 1,884 Times in 782 Posts

Package opener is for the hard plastic blister packs that a lot of stuff comes in. It actually works well. I bought a wingman for my wife's GHB, later picked up the Sidekick for myself, then traded with my wife on those so I would have saw and her the scissors & package opener. Bought a second wingman for my secondary, smaller GHB that I take in other's vehicles.