My new Boker Plus Tomahook - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anyone actually seen /held a Boker Tommihook Goblin X Knives, Swords & Axes 9 08-05-2015 01:59 PM
H.boker co's improved cutlery Silverbullit Knives, Swords & Axes 9 05-23-2014 05:27 AM
CRKT or Boker Tac for EDC? FosterEDC Knives, Swords & Axes 18 05-18-2014 07:56 AM
Update - Boker to stop selling Fake Boker "Beckers" Knives. Branned Knives, Swords & Axes 26 12-06-2013 11:35 PM
Boker Plus Bushcraft knife dandanthearmyman Knives, Swords & Axes 3 08-16-2013 05:51 PM
Boker Plus Tomahook & Knife Help Arsenul Knives, Swords & Axes 1 08-05-2013 09:36 AM
Boker neck knives Gort Knives, Swords & Axes 3 06-17-2012 10:00 AM
Boker Knives? bigsmokey Knives, Swords & Axes 4 08-03-2010 01:37 PM
Great Job to Boker! vicdotcom Knives, Swords & Axes 2 07-22-2009 07:46 AM

Old 11-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Psalm 91

Thanked 1,589 Times in 360 Posts
Default My new Boker Plus Tomahook

Advertise Here

Hello, friends. I first saw this thing online somewhere about a year or so ago, and it immediately grabbed my attention... I decided then and there that I wanted one, and now I've finally got one.

Now I'm in love with this thing, but it's not for everyone.

Pros:
Solid, heavy duty construction. SK5 steel, this thing is made to last.

Comes shaving sharp from the factory, if you grab it from right behind the axe head, it offers excellent control and can be used almost like a knife. It has a longer cutting edge (nearly 6 inches) than any other tomahawk I know of, which has the benefit of causing a larger cut/wound that reduces the chances of getting stuck.

The point on the back is not very dangerous to the wielder, but that thing brutally penetrates/breaks hard materials with minimal effort. I believe it can be used to break iron bars and padlocks, concrete, glass etc.

Top of the axe head can be used a chisel or fine cutting edge, can also be used to pry with.

Works like a hook to pick things up with, grab weapons, etc., it can be hung just about anywhere, the axe beard in the belt is a very comfortable way to carry it, can also be hooked onto a bag strap, backpack, etc.

The forward-angled handle and convex cutting edge projects tremendous force into an object, similar to certain Indian war clubs.

Sheath covers the cutting edge well.

Can be used with one (if you're strong enough) or both hands.

From the videos I've seen, it chops wood well (some issues with splitting), it throws extremely well and can be used as an entrenching tool.

(I'm stuck in the city for the forseeable future, no time to go out to the country to test it in the woods. Maybe I'll try to pick up a fresh coconut or two from a street seller to test it with...)

Cons:

Price is a bit high, but the quality is undeniable. I paid about $120 US to get it here. (Very steep for me).

The scales: the handle is well designed, but the scales could be a bit thicker to provide a little more comfort for users with larger hands. I'm considering wrapping it in paracord or maybe making some wood scales for it.

Weight: full-tang SK5 construction doesn't exactly make for light weight.
If you are not physically fit, forget about using this thing as a defensive weapon.
It is fast and controllable with a two-handed grip, but a one-handed grip requires holding it from a higher point on the handle to control it well, so I do not think it is well suited to the classic knife+tomahawk fighting style.

Conclusion:
I have no regrets about buying this, I love it.
For me, the pros outweigh the cons by far.
It would make a great rescue tool for emergencies, a great urban survival tool, a good, but not excellent bushcraft tool, and an awesome zombie chopper/defensive weapon for those fit to wield it.

In closing, It's not the best at everything, but it does everything pretty well.

That's the compromise one makes when you have a multitool instead of a tool box.

Good enough for me.

Thank you all for your time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	92839  
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shotgunsurgeon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Psalm 91

This thing is great for coconuts.

The point on the back makes nice little holes to drain the juice (for peeled coconuts), then you can just split it in half to get the fruit.

It's also an excellent tool in the kitchen, I prepared a chicken stew the other day using nothing but the Tomahook.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,622 Times in 3,864 Posts

Thanks for the review. I love the bearded design and was planning on picking one up.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:

Old 12-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,331 Times in 11,457 Posts

what is the weight and thickness, also are the scales rivited or can they be removed? (screws)
Old 12-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Psalm 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
what is the weight and thickness, also are the scales rivited or can they be removed? (screws)
Construction and Specs

- 1095 steel (.1875 thick)
- 5.75 primary cutting edge
- 18.5 OAL
- 5.625 Width
- .625 Thick (handle) G10 Material

Weight: 1.8 lbs.

Panels have screws in them, should be removable.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Hiker

Its cool but I am a traditionalist. Bought a Rifleman, Frontier and Pipehawk in November from Cold Steel.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 PM
The Time Is Now

Thanked 11,203 Times in 4,082 Posts

Nice!

Have you used it on hardwoods? How does it do?