Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your favorite non-prep prep item? Alore Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 02-18-2019 10:16 PM
new to prep..think i live in a prep nightmare! itwprp11 New Member Introduction 34 01-08-2019 11:39 PM
When do your kids go from prep liability to prep asset? Jack1228 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 08-14-2015 12:00 AM
My Church Is Ready To Prep. What Do We Prep? Doginit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 01-10-2014 06:28 AM
PRINTER as a prep idea (Cheap Prep $$$) MikeV1234 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-25-2013 12:28 AM
To Reportersí Horror, Minnesotans Following the Law burdock41 Political News and Discussion 0 02-20-2013 12:42 AM
Minnesotans! Beware! TXsurvivor Political News and Discussion 10 02-03-2013 11:11 AM
Prep to maintain standard of living or prep to survive? JohnWStiner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 01-28-2011 04:50 AM
Minnesotans for Global Warming Moose711 Jokes, Humor & Music 4 02-14-2010 06:02 PM

Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Default What do you Minnesotans Prep for?

Advertise Here

Good evening everybody!
I was just wondering what all you prep for in this part of the country.
Obviously the MoA is a large target if terrorists wanted to attack it.
I feel like bad winters are the most likely thing to be prepared for out here.
I consider myself to prepare for a number of things from storms, food shortages, terrorist attacks, etc. In that order of relevance in my opinion.
Hope everybody is doing well after the downpours here today in Central MN!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadowstalker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 01:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,979 Times in 2,921 Posts

Winter. Start getting ready right after it ends.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Yes winter is our biggest challenge living here in Minnesota. Winter clothing is so important to have plenty of. Many pairs of boots would be good to have for each person. How would you keep your feet warm while working outdoors? Shoes and boots don't last forever. A good firewood supply is important. I have about two winters worth of wood split and stored under cover. I also have 5 different wood stoves here with only two being used. The biggest concern is getting through the first winter after let's say a nationwide EMP attack. People will start to move out of the large cities after resources run out there. Chimney smoke can be seen for miles during the winter. This would be a dangerous give away to those seeking shelter or food. We would heat only a room or two in the basement using a kerosene heater. Coleman stoves would be used for cooking. Light would come from kerosene lamps, flashlights, or Coleman lanterns depending on the need. I have stored up about 120 gallons of kerosene, 12 gallons of white gas (need more), and multi-dozens of batteries of each sizes. Hot water for washing bodies and clothes will be difficult that first winter. When wood can be burned the next spring we have a number of wash tubs and copper boilers for clothes washing and bathing. We even have an old cast iron tub we plan to build fires under to heat water for bathing outdoors. We have our own hand pump well for all our water needs which includes spare replacement leather seal cups. We even have the old farm outhouse we fixed up and placed over a new deep lined pit. We have a generator which we would use sparingly just to operate a ham radio for outside news and communications. This includes about 150 gallons of gas stored in all the parked vehicles and tractors. The gass used in the tractors along with the 35 gallons in gas cans are ethenol free. This is used for the small engines in mowers and snow blowers around the place. It will last much longer than the ethanol gas but will still have the PIR-G added to it for maximum life. We have chickens but no other larger animals. One neighbor 1/2 mile away has about 15 horses and two other neighbors about the same distance have dozens of beef cattle each. Something might be worked out with them to either help raise them or to possible trade if we could. Gardening and canning would be our future in surviving. We need to stock way more canning jars and lids. Lots of lids! The last thing We should have but do not is a root cellar. If we are to be self sufficiant for a number of years this would be very important. I'm sure I have missed a number of things here. Maybe not that I don't prepare for them...I'm just not thinking of it at this moment. What do you think?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to packrat-steve For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM

I'm on board with everything you just said. I FINALLY talked the boss into letting me put in an 8x16 garden in the back yard. I just moved here in May of this year, but know of the winter that was was just had. I need to stock up on propane and other ways to heat the house just in case of a massive power outage during the winter. I have a few very warm jackets and a very solid pair of snow pants I use for snowboarding that have kept me warm in Northern Vermont while snowboarding. I definitely need to get more though. I also have a little one on the way soon, so keeping him fed and warm is also needed. I only have about 20 gallons stored up, and probably a weeks worth of food. I also have plenty of water sources near by that I can purify if needed. There's always work to be done!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shadowstalker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 06:15 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good beer View Post
Winter. Start getting ready right after it ends.
Beat me to it!

And also the humid summers! Mosquito's and Drivers from Wisconsin LOL!

Seriously though, with all of the losers that move here for the easy Welfare one of the things I prepare for is if they ever had to cut Welfare checks. So Social Unrest and honestly the Winter with no heat.

Even those that live in the rural areas and Suburbs here should worry about the lazy Welfare recipients going crazy. There are thousands and thousands here. They make it so easy to get on Welfare and stay on it here. That really needs to change.

I am not against Welfare Programs, heck my Mother used it for a year when I was a baby after my father passed away while she went to school. Then she worked two jobs while raising me so I am actually for Welfare for those that truly need it. I hate those that abuse it though.

There are too many rich liberals that feel the need to help those that do not want to help themselves here. Basically too many idiots. Other than that I love MN. Except the fact that we still do not allow Liquor Stores to open on Sundays. WTF?!

So I prepare for that on Saturdays and usually buy a twelve pack
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jager78 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 08:40 PM

You and I are on the same page good sir. Haha!
Good to know. I'm in the process of going on a work trip and once I get back I plan on expanding my cold weather supplies fairly significantly.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowstalker View Post
You and I are on the same page good sir. Haha!
Good to know. I'm in the process of going on a work trip and once I get back I plan on expanding my cold weather supplies fairly significantly.
Yeah I have one very nice quality Pendleton 100% Wool blanket and several other 80% Army Wool blankets along with a Coleman indoor propane heater.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Trapper

People also prepare for flooding in some areas, and should in all areas. MN is somewhat susceptible to flooding. Particularly in the Red River Valley, but also in any areas that have rivers or lakes, which is pretty much everywhere.

Winter is something that comes every year and should be planned for, but also summer storms which can bring tornadoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to RogueSpear2023 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts

Definitely winter, especially after the last two. Have lived here all my life and feel I have enough good clothes for a short (< one year) period of SHingTF. Otherwise I think the weather would force a lot of people south...good, more resources for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 PM
I choose freewill....

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,378 Posts

I'll say it again. WINTER.

It almost ****es me off. No sooner than do we open the windows and I clean out the fireplace I am thinking about where I'm going to get more oak this year, how soon can I plant and when do I need to start splitting wood again.

Then like clockwork; Sept 1st arrives and we go from the 80's to the 60's and it's downhill from there.

I'm here for now but hopefully in a few years heading South. Between near beach sand sandy soil, sand burr's and the whole week of 'hot' weather I'm not sure how folks survived up here before Coburn's and Wal-Mart. It had to be very hard work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomofSpeech View Post
I'll say it again. WINTER.

It almost ****es me off. No sooner than do we open the windows and I clean out the fireplace I am thinking about where I'm going to get more oak this year, how soon can I plant and when do I need to start splitting wood again.

Then like clockwork; Sept 1st arrives and we go from the 80's to the 60's and it's downhill from there.

I'm here for now but hopefully in a few years heading South. Between near beach sand sandy soil, sand burr's and the whole week of 'hot' weather I'm not sure how folks survived up here before Coburn's and Wal-Mart. It had to be very hard work.
I used to really hate the cold and winter in general. Even after that past couple, I starting to actually like the cold. My wife and I just got back from Scottsdale for a convention. It was in the upper 90's and lower 100's. Felt like I was melting the whole time. Would rather have -20 than +100.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 02:08 PM
I choose freewill....

In general I agree with you; but its the lack of good soil (where we are) and a very short growing season. Heck, we've had TWO good frosts already.

And then the Spring frosts....oh man. After 3 years we finally got apples on all of our tree's as the back ones kept getting nailed by frost the last couple of years.

Overall I'd prefer to stay but I'm of the mindset that food is going to become very important and for food you need good soil and warm(er) weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 02:13 PM

I hear ya. The soil is pretty good by us as my little town is surrounded by corn and soy bean fields. My parents are very good at gardening and just moved to the town I'm in. Next summer I plan to work with them on a garden and improve that skill. Might even try some canning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:20 AM
I choose freewill....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
I hear ya. The soil is pretty good by us as my little town is surrounded by corn and soy bean fields. My parents are very good at gardening and just moved to the town I'm in. Next summer I plan to work with them on a garden and improve that skill. Might even try some canning.
Good for you. Yup, learn to can. It's a lot easier to do than you think, just be very good about the details so you don't get you or anyone else sick. When in doubt just use anything that didn't seem to can correctly right away.

Oh - and for your pressure canner get the All American 921 (at least). Yeah, pricey but you'll be soooo much happier in long run with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.

Thanked 3,514 Times in 945 Posts

Don't forget vehicle preps! Going into the ditch is probably the MOST likely small scale SHTF thing that can happen here. Warm & dry spare clothes in the car, a first aid kit, cell phone charger & some food to munch on.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheSquid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't have to worry about that[. I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler 2 door. I think it might like snow. Never had a 4WD before. My 92 Miata has to be the worst car in I have ever seen. Tried it once in snow (pack),I couldn't jet out of the (short) driveway!
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric N. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.

Thanked 3,514 Times in 945 Posts

4wd only really helps with acceleration... If you need to swerve to avoid something your probably still going in the ditch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSquid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomofSpeech View Post
Good for you. Yup, learn to can. It's a lot easier to do than you think, just be very good about the details so you don't get you or anyone else sick. When in doubt just use anything that didn't seem to can correctly right away.

Oh - and for your pressure canner get the All American 921 (at least). Yeah, pricey but you'll be soooo much happier in long run with it.
American 921 pressure cooker, got it. Any advice for a food dehydrator??
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I choose freewill....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
American 921 pressure cooker, got it. Any advice for a food dehydrator??

Nesco GardenMaster.

Model:

FD-1010 PC

If you can, just spend the money up front and get at least 7 trays and liners for all of them, not just one or two.

Great thing to have!
The Following User Says Thank You to FreedomofSpeech For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
Don't forget vehicle preps! Going into the ditch is probably the MOST likely small scale SHTF thing that can happen here. Warm & dry spare clothes in the car, a first aid kit, cell phone charger & some food to munch on.
I also include a shovel, log-chain or tow-strap, and a set of tire chains in mine. Wife's van carries a set of cable-chains in the winter. Our road is seldom the first one plowed around here.
The Following User Says Thank You to horseradish For This Useful Post: