Poor Man's Busse? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Randall vs. Busse Semper Paratus Knives, Swords & Axes 135 02-29-2016 11:19 PM
Anyone know the name of this Busse knife? woolly Knives, Swords & Axes 21 02-02-2015 02:10 PM
Busse, Busse, Busse elmojo Knives, Swords & Axes 62 01-19-2015 05:53 PM
Poor poor unions - Obama screwed us!! real wowwee Political News and Discussion 48 02-06-2014 07:36 PM
What sheath for Busse TGLB Helo Knives, Swords & Axes 7 03-24-2013 10:51 PM
Another Busse approach 2act Knives, Swords & Axes 6 10-10-2012 08:46 PM
Busse Knives BOBtheBUTCHER Knives, Swords & Axes 47 06-16-2012 09:28 PM
DRAT-Time Magazine says the crisis is over, Poor Takezo! Poor SurvivalistBoards! BenjiofSection31 General Discussion 13 11-01-2011 12:47 PM
BUSSE knives WARWAG Knives, Swords & Axes 25 04-12-2010 11:37 AM
Busse knives WARWAG Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 11-30-2009 07:41 PM

Old 01-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Advertise Here

To me the poor mans busse and one of my favorites at any price is the entire ESEE line. The heat treat kicks but
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellite View Post
To me the poor mans busse and one of my favorites at any price is the entire ESEE line. The heat treat kicks but
I love my Junglas, but its not even close. 1095 is tough, but not INFI tough unless left on the soft side of HT.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
I love my Junglas, but its not even close. 1095 is tough, but not INFI tough unless left on the soft side of HT.

True, it is no where near as tough as INFI. But Both ESEE and TOPs do a good job with it. If you are trying to stay under $200 it is hard to beat them. I do like Cold Steel's San Mai stuff as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:
True, it is no where near as tough as INFI. But Both ESEE and TOPs do a good job with it. If you are trying to stay under $200 it is hard to beat them. I do like Cold Steel's San Mai stuff as well.
Schrade 1095 is VERY tough. I have their Frontier knife and I've used it as a chisel, the knife can take a beating. Problem is when people want 59-60 hardness, you start getting more into the brittle side for a hard use knife. Folks dont realize that low 50s HRC is perfectly fine and can take much more of a beating.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Schrade 1095 is VERY tough. I have their Frontier knife and I've used it as a chisel, the knife can take a beating. Problem is when people want 59-60 hardness, you start getting more into the brittle side for a hard use knife. Folks dont realize that low 50s HRC is perfectly fine and can take much more of a beating.
Schrade does make some good stuff. I agree on the hardness issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to stellite For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Schrade does make some good stuff. I agree on the hardness issue.
I think marketing got in the way here. At some point everyone was supposed to make 59-60HRC knives. Even better, 60-62HRC! Now that's some fancy premium steel (being ironic)
One of the most useful knives I ever used was an old knife my granfather brought from Spain. Made in Toledo, carbon steel. That knive took a wicked edge and sharpened easily. I would be surprised if that knife was much harder than 52 HRC or so.
Something similar is happening with full flat grind. Everything now seems to be FFG. I get it for a chef knife, but a utilty folding knife, let alone a tactical folder, also being FFG?? That makes no sense. But people now believe that FFG means sharp, so you have FFG 62HRC "tactical" folders.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I think marketing got in the way here. At some point everyone was supposed to make 59-60HRC knives. Even better, 60-62HRC! Now that's some fancy premium steel (being ironic)
One of the most useful knives I ever used was an old knife my granfather brought from Spain. Made in Toledo, carbon steel. That knive took a wicked edge and sharpened easily. I would be surprised if that knife was much harder than 52 HRC or so.
Something similar is happening with full flat grind. Everything now seems to be FFG. I get it for a chef knife, but a utilty folding knife, let alone a tactical folder, also being FFG?? That makes no sense. But people now believe that FFG means sharp, so you have FFG 62HRC "tactical" folders.
LOL. Agreed. I have a knife that is over 100 years, old made of plain carbon steel that takes a hair poppin edge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stellite For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Gaston, is that a knife or are you just happy to see me

Just headed to the mall.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The insanity continues. Doesn't everyone know that black leather is more water resistant than brown leather? lol.
That's why water buffaloes are black.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldendum For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
That's why water buffaloes are black.

I guess SOG didn' know anything when they had Sokai switch Conrad `Ben`Baker's 7 inch SOG Recon from brown leather to black, as were all the subsequent 6 inch bowies (Dietmar Pohl P.31) ... Oh yeah, that was for ninja stealth, with the huge bright brass guard, pommel and the still brown handle. Riiight...

Everyone knows at night, shiny black leather is a lot more stealthy than soaking wet brown...

Gaston
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaston444 For This Useful Post: