A R 15 fan boys - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three boys at a zoo PhotonGuy Jokes, Humor & Music 0 01-19-2015 02:45 PM
I have a dream, that little colored boys and little white boys will arm themselves... MonsterMash General Discussion 6 08-17-2014 12:34 AM
These three boys at the zoo PhotonGuy Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-16-2014 11:03 PM
not going your way, boys! Sled Dog Political News and Discussion 46 11-07-2012 01:10 AM
Looks like my boys are getting into it. Nefarious1 General Discussion 11 11-30-2011 05:02 PM
Boys Will be Boys... Ghostrider Jokes, Humor & Music 13 11-04-2011 03:56 AM
Name this gun - Bad Boys Pawiscoming Firearms General Discussion 13 03-25-2010 07:45 PM
Two Little Boys Trail Boss Religious Discussion 4 08-11-2009 01:15 AM

Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM
RightorWrongSayWhatUthink

Thanked 1,645 Times in 461 Posts
Cool A R 15 fan boys

Advertise Here

Great looking rifle , a buddy of mine ordered this rifle a few months ago but from a different distributor. It has run great for him, its very nice.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Originalist

Thanked 1,247 Times in 528 Posts

I'm sure that it is everything you say it is but it seems a little campy to me. That roll mark is hideous. I feel like it would be hard to take myself serious with an AR that says "Special Ops Tactical" and has a flaming stealth fighter on the side. I feel like it is the equivalent of buying a .44 mag revolver from a company called "Make My Day Firearms" that has Dirty Harry's face embossed on the grips. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that just seems a little silly to me. If it is good to go, well that is a good thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM
it is what it is

Thanked 4,076 Times in 1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMinuteMan View Post
I'm sure that it is everything you say it is but it seems a little campy to me. That roll mark is hideous. I feel like it would be hard to take myself serious with an AR that says "Special Ops Tactical" and has a flaming stealth fighter on the side. I feel like it is the equivalent of buying a .44 mag revolver from a company called "Make My Day Firearms" that has Dirty Harry's face embossed on the grips. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that just seems a little silly to me. If it is good to go, well that is a good thing.
except dirty harry is a fictional character,special ops isnt.this is no different then a name like bravo company(BCM) and look how popular they are.the only thing that throws the name off is how much ignorant petty bickering goes on about the word tactical...not saying you do it,but im sure you see it and it has influenced your opinion on the name.if it says tactical,it must be all bout mall ninjas.

as for logos,i find horse pictures on modern firearms kinda retarded but i wouldnt throw out a colt because of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Peacemaker....

i built mine so its a "ghost gun".
I laser inscribed the ghostbusters symbol on it...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Desertlion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,235 Times in 4,995 Posts

I'm sure it's a decent rifle and all, but nowadays you can buy a lot for $1200....
Cool rail, but $1200? Not even any BUIS.

For $50 more you can get a lot more rifle, Daniel Defense:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel-D...p/da-20002.htm

Or save yourself $200+ and get a Colt:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...880/c/firearms

Don't get me wrong, I love AIM Surplus and have spent a slightly obscene amount of money with them over the years... just saying there are deals out there if you look.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 AM
it is what it is

Thanked 4,076 Times in 1,712 Posts

looking at the specs,it actually looks like a decent price,if you like them type of upgrades.things like billet upper/lower,nickel boron,target crown,free float guards ect cost extra.if the description is true and qc is good,it looks like a pretty good rifle.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:51 AM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,688 Times in 2,124 Posts

i like it, everything except the B2 on it, nice looking rail, like the styling of the upper and lower and how they look well matched, looks to be machined well, good quality parts,ect....

If it felt nice in the hand I'd probably pick one up...i really do like the styling or the "lines" if you will.

sometimes you just bored of the standard looking AR.... it's what drove me to start building them.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,710 Times in 44,505 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
I'm sure it's a decent rifle and all, but nowadays you can buy a lot for $1200....
Cool rail, but $1200? Not even any BUIS.

For $50 more you can get a lot more rifle, Daniel Defense:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel-D...p/da-20002.htm
It might be a better brand, but it has some strikes against it. M4 length gas system and fixed front sight (why the hell do they do that on flat top guns anyway?) are big strikes. DD doesn't mention if that's a free float handguard, but it doesn't look like it. If not, strike.

I don't know enough about the barrel used on the SOT to compare it to the DD gun. But I would be curious, just the same.

Not a good comparison. Sort of like apples to oranges.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,804 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It might be a better brand, but it has some strikes against it. M4 length gas system and fixed front sight (why the hell do they do that on flat top guns anyway?) are big strikes. DD doesn't mention if that's a free float handguard, but it doesn't look like it. If not, strike.

I don't know enough about the barrel used on the SOT to compare it to the DD gun. But I would be curious, just the same.

Care to explain why the FSB and carbine length gas system are bad? Yes that is a FF rail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinlessorrow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,189 Posts

And all this time I thought it was training that made you an operator, when I could've just bought the right rifle in the first place!

I feel like such a fool.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMonsantoPlanto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Yes, it's a fully floated rail. I personally don't like fixed sights, because preference, but I absolutely understand the reasoning behind their use (FWIW, you can get the DD rifles w/o fixed sights) and that is that they are more reliable (likely to hold zero) and even the best flip up sights in the world take drastically longer to deploy (seeing as how fixed sights are always there, with a RDS/HWS you are quite likely already looking through them).

The gas system length I agree with, and one reason why I prefer to have the longest rail possible (with some exceptions, I prefer low profile gas blocks, and that they be covered and protected by the rail). On a 16" rifle, a longer gas tube fixes many of the failings so often quoted as reasons why the AR carbines are apparently the worst weapon ever and that it's so horrible our soldiers just gave up on them and have been fighting the war by throwing really large rocks (roll eyes).
Old 03-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Talking

Quote:
I did not it was the best a r 15 on the market. I just know he shoots competition and used palmetto a r before that one.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Originalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALASHNIKOV74 View Post
I did not it was the best a r 15 on the market. I just know he shoots competition and used palmetto a r before that one.
I also am not saying that there is anything wrong with it or that it isn't high quality. Let's face it though the logo'd roll marks are all about fashion . You mentioned that it looked great and my comment was mainly around how it looks. The flaming F-117 Nighthawk and Special Ops label just looks a little silly to me. It's one man's opinion. I'm sure the billet upper and lower looks higher end than my M&P15s though.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,235 Times in 4,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

I'm not sure that a carbine gas system or FSB are actual strikes against something, not like they're strange or second rate. More the opposite, they're exactly normal. May not be what you're looking for, and that's OK too, but not exactly signs of lack of quality.

My point was that there are some proven brands in that price range, that offer more for the $$'s IMHO. YMMV, of course.
Not bagging on the GPX, it may be outstanding, just that I'm not a newb to AR's and I'm not very sure about the name. Again, YMMV.

Either way, buy what you want, it's your money. I'd rather someone have an EBR that I never heard of, and be proficient with it, than not have anything at all.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,441 Times in 2,595 Posts

Quote:
Uh oh....but my 44 shoots somewhat straight....and Clint eastwood is "the man"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PA_Robert For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Cool

Quote:
Well since A R stands for Armalite which sold the name to Colt. Special Ops Tactical sounds better than Armalite, which by the way Armalite guns are now made in Turkey!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 AM
Contingency Planner

"Mall ninjas" LOL I love it! You know, it's kinda funny, I know a guy who bought himself a katana...posted pics of himself on facebook posing with it. He loves the damn thing! He's very proud of that sword. Don't know if he simply appreciates the beauty of the weapon, or if he fantacizes about saving the world with it. Every time I see the words "mall ninja" I think about him! Gotta love people!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,324 Times in 3,811 Posts

Goofy name like that makes me wonder if Hesse / Vulcan / Blackthorne... has changed their company name a 4th or 5th time.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Originalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALASHNIKOV74 View Post
Well since A R stands for Armalite which sold the name to Colt. Special Ops Tactical sounds better than Armalite, which by the way Armalite guns are now made in Turkey!
I'm not sure what the point of this is, but you win, Special Ops Tactical is the coolest sounding name I've ever heard. Actually, I'm just jealous because I didn't think of it first. In fact I named my tactical underwear company Commando Tactical Undergarments. The mens' have a logo of the Minuteman III ICBM on the front and the ladies' have a mushroom cloud logo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the point of this is, but you win, Special Ops Tactical is the coolest sounding name I've ever heard. Actually, I'm just jealous because I didn't think of it first. In fact I named my tactical underwear company Commando Tactical Undergarments. The mens' have a logo of the Minuteman III ICBM on the front and the ladies' have a mushroom cloud logo.
LMAO ! I like Colt better