Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barnett Compound recruit crossbow vs recurve recruit crossbow Jake8313 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 6 05-13-2015 09:15 AM
How to Find the Right Draw Weight For YOUR bow AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-17-2014 06:30 PM
Fat weight vs Gear weight fixesstuff Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 50 04-23-2014 07:27 AM
Longbow length and draw length (longbow for 31" draw) TheWoodsman Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 1 09-24-2012 04:13 PM
When to draw and when not to draw? warhawk-77 Firearms General Discussion 5 07-24-2012 02:33 PM
draw-loc or in-line crossbow lastoftheloaners Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 1 05-28-2012 10:47 AM
What point to you draw or draw and fire when one on one? FloridaState Firearms General Discussion 42 09-08-2010 05:36 PM
Draw weight LeftHanded04 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 15 04-09-2009 11:12 AM
Good Draw Weight? mike97878 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 11 10-02-2008 01:11 PM

Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Default Draw weight on crossbow

Advertise Here

Ok guys, I have a question about crossbow draw weight. If for instance a crossbow has 200lbs draw weight is that the equivalent of say lifting 200lbs in a gym? Might be a noob question but anyway.

What draw weight would you recommened for a beginner? I'd also like to be able to reload quickly without the aids. I'm quite strong so I'm thinking 150 would be easy enough to draw and give you enough range. Anything heavier I imagine would probably cut your hand as you draw it? But I have no clue. I've been watching youtube videos and reading up on the stuff. But I never found any of this info. Till now I swore by rifles but in a survival situation a crossbow would be superior at least for hunting.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM

I would recommend using a rope cocker for any weight 150lbs or greater. It will save your hands and make the weight more manageable. I made one from a length of rope and some swivel hooks. Just wrap around the stock and clip on the bowstring and pull back til it cocks. It also seems to keep you from lining up the string crooked.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,444 Times in 4,138 Posts

Draw Weight is the peak amount of weight an archer will pull while drawing the bow. With a traditional bow, the draw weight continues to increase as the bow is drawn. A compound bow will increase to the peak weight, and then drop in weight to the holding weight.

Bow weight is set by applying a weight to the string, when it depresses X amount of distance that is the weight it will be rated at...A 200# bow will hold a 200# weight at X" from the riser or centre of the bow.

The mechanical advantages of the different cocking devices used for crossbows?
It depends on exact manufacture, but roughly:
Windlass = 140:1
Cranequin = 45:1
Goats foot = 4:1 to 5:1
Belt hook and single pulley = 2:1 (but legs/back are far more powerful than arms/back
belt hook = 1:1 (uses back and legs
straight draw = 1:1 (uses back and arms)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:

Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
In memory of Rokitdog

Thanked 29,711 Times in 10,354 Posts

If you can pull back a bowstring with 150lb draw, you must be one big person! A fifty is about all I can handle!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Archery Addict

Thanked 1,001 Times in 402 Posts

I have a Barnett Predator that is a 175 draw weight. There is no way I could cock it without a rope cocker. Without it you could easily injure yourself trying to cock it.

Good luck cocking a 150 by hand! If you can... you are a monster!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slim69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim69 View Post
I have a Barnett Predator that is a 175 draw weight. There is no way I could cock it without a rope cocker. Without it you could easily injure yourself trying to cock it.

I'm not a monster I just pump iron. I don't know if I can cock a 150 but I sure as hell can lift 150 at the gym on pretty much any compound movement (deadlift, squat, bench, cleand and press). That's why I asked if the draw weight is the same as lifting the same weight.

Most stores around my area don't have a lot of crossbows in stock. I'll just have to find one that has any and try them out.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,545 Times in 7,831 Posts

The originals all used some kind of aid for the heavier pulls. One arbalest I was around for a while had a 450 pound pull, and used a windlass and pinion to cock the prod. It was a very stout bow, and had recoil on a level with one of the British double rifles. I have a bow with a pull of around 225 pounds, and it cocks with a goat's foot lever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,321 Posts

My recurve excaliber crossbow is 175lbs. I do have a rope cocker but can pull it back without it.

If you plan to buy a crossbow, pay a couple bucks and get a decent one. The research I did told me that brands like Barnett and Horton are made in china and just don't seem to last as long. I wanted a recurve so only left low end stuff or Excaliber.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,545 Times in 7,831 Posts

I've heard good things about the Excalibur. This monster of mine uses a short war-bolt that's about eight inches long, and an inch in diameter. I copied it after one of the old German arbalests that was designed to punch plate armor.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Archery Addict

Thanked 1,001 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
My recurve excaliber crossbow is 175lbs. I do have a rope cocker but can pull it back without it.

If you plan to buy a crossbow, pay a couple bucks and get a decent one. The research I did told me that brands like Barnett and Horton are made in china and just don't seem to last as long. I wanted a recurve so only left low end stuff or Excaliber.
I don't know about Horton but Barnett are made in the US.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5134534AAziupl

I also dug up my box and it clearly states that it is Made in the US.

Edit:
It looks like starting in 2012 Horton are also made in the US. Good for them!

http://www.hortonarchery.com/resourc...2019C%20LR.pdf

Last edited by Slim69; 04-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Added Horton link
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 2,644 Times in 779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman View Post
If you can pull back a bowstring with 150lb draw, you must be one big person! A fifty is about all I can handle!
You make me feel like some kind of mutant beast. I can regularly draw my crossbows (150 and 180) without issue or aids of any kind. Never had them, but I admit in a tree stand I often would have liked one.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,359 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim69 View Post

Easy as pie

But I'm a life long powerlifter specializing in dead lift and weighted pull ups. I've trained back with Big Lou and Ronnie Coleman many times. ( I'm 53 now, and if I post my picture... I still look like a freak. My lifts are also still very close to my records. Big Lou is amazing. He's as big today as he was in the 70s)

But boy did I get a lesson in humility when I tried a 50 lbs recurve bow. It was easy to draw... But I couldn't hold it without a tremble. There is a lot of muscle needed for bow and crossbow. My goal is to get up to 65 lbs recurve this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 PM

The main issue I have with cocking crossbows is not really the sheer strength required to cock the crossbow it's more the tension of the string starts to pull the crossbow from under my foot.
My friend who weighs a lot more than me doesn't have this problem. So I assume you need to exceed the draw weight of the crossbow to cock it easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,444 Times in 4,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
The main issue I have with cocking crossbows is not really the sheer strength required to cock the crossbow it's more the tension of the string starts to pull the crossbow from under my foot.
My friend who weighs a lot more than me doesn't have this problem. So I assume you need to exceed the draw weight of the crossbow to cock it easily.
Extreme weight draws just require a different cocking device, that's all.

We had some very old Barrett and Horton traditional steel limbs crossbows that got destroyed in the house fire six Xmas ago...IIRC they were 185 and 190 draws...Two of my then thirteen year old triplet daughters shot them and both used a cranking device with two claws to draw the string back by a geared turning device called a Cranequin...It took longer to hook up or to unhook the device then it was to draw back the string...It is also called a windless was also used by my friends one of whom had a 350# draw bow
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
both used a cranking device with two claws to draw the string back by a geared turning device called a Cranequin...It took longer to hook up or to unhook the device then it was to draw back the string...It is also called a windless was also used by my friends one of whom had a 350# draw bow
Thanks for the info, if I ever get a more powerful crossbow I'll look into a mechanical cocking device.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM

I'm only 16 and just got a 175lb pull strength recurve crossbow and can use it with out any devices I don't lift but I do free run and I'm only 5"7 and weigh 155 lbs so hopefully this can help but I may worn that not many of my friends can use it though
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Bowman

Thanked 6,102 Times in 2,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman View Post
Kind of different with a crossbow.

You place your foot in the stirup and use you body and arms to draw the bow back. Now if that was a 150# longbow, I would definately agree with you above comment 100%!.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM

I have an Excalibur Ibex with a 175lb draw and the cocking aid (or rope) is supposed to reduce the "felt draw weight" by 50%. It also helps ensure that the string is aligned correctly. If it's not, you have problems with accuracy. Yes, it takes a few seconds longer to cock the bow, but you might save your back and improve shot placement by using the aid.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Hiker/Trailrunner

I'm only 5"8 180 lbs and I didn't have any issues cocking my buddies 150 Horton crossbow. I'm probably stronger than most guys my size due to weight training, but if you're a good size guy, 150 should be nothing for you
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

IMHO this would be much better in a survival situation. You can hunt and bowfish. In addition to shooting arrows you can shoot rocks or ball bearings. You can also hand fish with the reel attached to the slingshot so hunting and fishing work with or without arrows. It's also smaller, lighter and less expensive than most crossbows.

The bands come in like #10 to #40 pull but you can increase the pull weight by removing lengths of tubing. I'm pretty sure you can get to #50 pull, which is plenty for most any medium game.

Here are some videos from Chief AJ to look at, just ignore the crappy website:

http://www.chiefaj.com/

Get it here. Be sure to check for the new customer discount.

I ended up getting the HFX, 6 extra bands (4 of the magnetic bands with release loop), the wrist rest and the fishing reel seat for $125

http://www.slingshotsusa.com/new-products/chief-aj.html

I added this reel (in the 3000 size) and #30 line:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...out/basket.jsp

And these arrows (even though it says per 12 I don't think that's right, we'll see)

Amazon.com: Cajun Archery Sting-A-Ree Tourn Fish... cover
Amazon.com: Cajun Archery Sting-A-Ree Tourn Fish...
Here's the release I use:

Amazon.com: Tru Ball Max Hunter Pro 4 Release,... cover
Amazon.com: Tru Ball Max Hunter Pro 4 Release,...

The whole kit is right at $350 including slingshot kit, reel, release, line and 3 bowfishing arrows, but no hunting arrows. I'm debating whether to use hunting arrows or not. In an INCH situation they would eventually get lost. The fiberglass fishing arrows are much tougher and easier to find since they are attached with line.

I already had the release for my bow and 2 fishing arrows from my bowfishing kit.

more pictures here:

http://www.chiefaj.com/slingshot_page.htm

related thread here:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ight=sling+bow

here's his fishing rig and I may have to upgrade to that if my spinning reel experiment does not work. I just hate bait casters because of the line tangles.

http://www.chiefaj.com/slingshot_fishing.htm