Shotgun as perfect SHTF gun??? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect SHTF defense .223/5.56 ammo? JBryan314 Military Weapons Forum 105 06-16-2018 09:13 PM
Gunsmithing as the perfect SHTF skill. Hick Industries Firearms General Discussion 34 09-19-2015 12:40 PM
Bugout almost perfect in my SHTF event convoy669 General Discussion 6 07-03-2013 07:25 PM
BCM MK12 mod 0 SPR: perfect shtf rifle? tropicheat Firearms General Discussion 10 11-19-2012 02:38 PM
The perfect SHTF house? BumblingBear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 08-22-2012 08:17 PM
Shotgun SHTF Blazinator Shotgun Forum 42 12-16-2011 01:00 PM
My Perfect Home Defense Pump Shotgun HKCHEF Shotgun Forum 13 06-22-2011 10:51 PM
(Honey) Perfect SHTF Food? OhioMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 76 01-18-2011 07:44 AM
The SHTF Shotgun Hubb Shotgun Forum 170 03-23-2010 07:34 AM
Perfect handgun for a SHTF situation? Rickets Pistol and Revolver Forum 53 07-17-2009 11:02 PM

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Advertise Here

For me it's an issue of weight. Shotgun ammo is extremely heavy when compared to rifle or handgun ammo. 25 rounds of shotgun ammo weigh in at several pounds where I can substitute 40 or more rifle rounds and an extra magazine of pistol rounds for the same weight. If you're going to haul it away from home. Leave the shotgun at home.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,172 Times in 24,073 Posts

I keep the gun issue simple, I want to stock pile the same gauge.

1) Several 12 ga shot guns (2 pump 1 single shot)

2) 2 .40 pistols

3) 1 AR-15

4) (4-5) .22 LR's

5) 2 Air Rifles (great for small games birds, doves, rabbits etc)

If there is a noise outside I tend to grab my .40 pistol,I can load in about 2 seconds and be at a door in 4 seconds ready to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

No such thing as the perfect shtf gun . But , imo , the shotgun comes close . I don't think the weight of shotgun ammo is a big issue . You can carry xtra ammo on the gun and/or on a belt . You don't have to weigh down your backpack/b.o. bag with ammo . Besides , all ammo is pretty heavy . How much of any ammo [except 22] could you really carry in your pack if you had to b.o. ?
I bought my guns in this order ;
1. shotgun - 12ga 870
2. handgun - 357 revolver
3 . 22 rifle - Marlin bolt action
Someday I might have enough $ to buy a centerfire rifle but if not I'm ok with what I have and in my situation , it's all I really need .
I chose my firearms for self defence and hunting . No need for long range weapons in my area = heavily wooded and populated . No need for semi auto , high cap. mag. , long range rifle = If it got to the point where I had to fight off large groups of badguys , I'd probably be screwed no matter what I had . If game is more than 100 yds away , either I won't see it [heavily wooded] or I won't have a clear shot and I'm not taking the shot . If I was being attacked by bad guys that were more than 100 yds away - I'm running like h**l .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Aint life grand

The shotgun is a great choice. The guys at Magpul made a new DVD for the platform. Very informative as usual. In the right hands, it's an extremely effective weapon.

I really enjoy shooting this Benelli M1014 SBS.

The Following User Says Thank You to fuggit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,989 Times in 1,877 Posts

Many historians regard the shotgun as the gun that won the west. Most people are not "natural" marksmen. Now as then, how many people have the time and money to practice, practice, practice in order to be good with rifle and or pistol/revolver in a high stress combat situation? Or for that matter hunting? Is the shotgun the best tool for every job? Of course not! Of the three the shotgun does lend itself to a greater variety of tasks better then the other options for the average person.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hiker

Most bad guys carry a semi auto pistol.... I dont like those odds,especially when you add in you have to pump before you come on a BG (you will announce where you are and you cant fire when you are pumping)if your first shot doesnt stop him, you are facing 10 to 15 rounds coming at you and you still have to pump before you can fire again.the false impression of the sound of a round being pumped into the chamber making the BG fall down in fear is going to get you killed
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Ooh, pancakes!

Thanked 5,426 Times in 1,748 Posts

Pump shotgun is NOT the ultimate weapon, and frankly I never got the reason for the shotgun cult. Downsides:

* Low capacity -- 5-10 rounds versus 30 for a rifle

* Average person cannot carry much ammo -- 50-100 rounds versus 250+ for a rifle

* Slow follow-up shots due to high recoil

* Slow reloads due to magazine design and large size of ammo

* Very limited range -- anybody with a rifle can stay outside your range and kill you dead

* Low precision -- would you take the head shot from fifteen yards when somebody's holding your wife hostage? I sure would not with a shotgun!

There are others, that's just off the top of my head.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMorden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,748 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I think it's definately contender for many. It's not the ideal SHTF gun for myself though. The versatility is nice, but there's very little that I can't do in my region with a rifle. Don't get me wrong. I've been hunting with shotguns for about 35 years. I understand their versatility and usefulness.

As you mentioned, the guns are heavy and so is the ammo. The range is too limited for some regions. Now, in a wooded area where your maximum range would be less than 100 yards, the shotgun's limited range is not a drawback. But for those of us who live in more open regions, we need the ability to take shots at longer range. I also like the ability to carry plenty of ammo without weighing myself down.

From my perspective, about the only thing a shotgun can do that a rifle can't, is take birds on the wing. It may not be sporting, but they have to land sometime. In a survival situation, I probably won't be too concerned with sportsmanship.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,629 Times in 3,291 Posts

For me, a real SHTF situation was the Rodney King riots. I've mentioned this in previous posts. We positioned ourselves on the roof of our business. I have a 12 guage, many pistols, a few hunting rifles and an AR. Under most scenarios, I would almost always chose the AR (or similar MBR) first. The Korean store keepers could have used an AR with greater effect than their pistols. As mentioned previously, do what the military does. They use an MBR for a reason. The human threat is the most dangerous.
Probably the most important aspect is being able to hit what you shoot at. Especially from a distance. One more reason to like the MBR.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,363 Posts

I think the shotgun definitely has it's place in the survival arsenal. Whether or not is is the "go to" weapon depends on the particular situation. TP
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,195 Times in 798 Posts

Nobody has mentioned the intimidation factor of a shot gun.

Everybody knows what the sound of a shell being loaded into the gun sounds like and it is very intimidating.

Also, buck shot holds a very tight group up to about 30 yards, then starts to spread out.

That being said, there is a gun for every need, there is no "one gun fits all" for SHTF.

If you only had one gun during a SHTF:

Shelter in place = rifle
bug out on foot = pistol
Bug out in a vehicle = rifle or shotgun.
Long term survival after opening crisis = shotgun or rifle
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,748 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawind View Post
Many historians regard the shotgun as the gun that won the west. Most people are not "natural" marksmen. Now as then, how many people have the time and money to practice, practice, practice in order to be good with rifle and or pistol/revolver in a high stress combat situation? Or for that matter hunting? Is the shotgun the best tool for every job? Of course not! Of the three the shotgun does lend itself to a greater variety of tasks better then the other options for the average person.
That's a very good point. A person should take a look at their particular situation and determine if they need the range advantage of a rifle. In many places they don't. Then they need to determine if they can/will take the time and spend the money to get the training and practice to use it effectively. If not, a shotgun is a lot quicker to develop some proficiency with.

In my own case, the added range of a rifle is beneficial because I live in an area with wide open spaces. I've also trained, practiced and competed in multiple disciplines for the last 35 years, so I'm comfortable and skilled with rifles and pistols as well.

A shotgun is part of my home defense plan, but it's not my ideal SHTF weapon.

Why do we keep getting a flood of gun threads in the general preparedness section instead of the many gun forums set up specifically for these threads?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Default why just one

we always get to just one gun. how likely is it u would have that option, I know I prepare to have what i need to deal with shtf,and one gun sanerio's not in it. if it was it means I didn't have a choice and got what i could find. Just sayin I like to keep it real, but this is just my opion and u know what they say about that.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,019 Times in 3,649 Posts

Shotguns are very versatile, but:

Short range, even with the best barrel you can get for slugs/sabots.

Ammo is very heavy for each shot - not very efficient for the amount of meat you get for a given weight of ammo, or for self-defense.

Generally limited ammo capacity.

Yes, you can shoot game on the wing, but in a survival situation you can shoot birds where and when they roost too. Call a duck or goose in and then shoot it with the right ammo in a .22 centerfire after it lands. I have seen as many grouse on the ground as I have on the wing - ditto with pheasant.

A shotgun is loud and hard to suppress.

I recommend that people have at least one 12 gauge shotgun, but if I had to walk out of my house right now with only what I could carry on my back, these would be the firearms I would carry:

1) AK
2) SIG 9MM
3) 22 LR Browning Buckmark

None of those is a shotgun even though I own four shotguns (two of them shotgun/rifle over/under combos). Indeed, if there is ever any gun I would never leave behind it would be something in .22 rimfire, not a shotgun.

There was once a 12 ga./223 combo pump shotgun called the 'Crossfire', but it never sold very well. I saw one at a Shot Show and one last year at a gun show.

I don't see someone every having to only have one firearm, even if they are on foot. You can always carry an accurate .22 LR handgun in addition to some rifle, and IMO that would be the absolute minimum. If there is anything approaching the versatility of a shotgun it would be a .22 rimfire like a Buckmark or a Ruger .22/45 with a decent barrel and preferably a scope. The only things a .22 rimfire wouldn't be good for would be self-defense and large game - in which case a self-defense rifle would be employed.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

because when the SHTF, we are all gonna be making 1000 yard kill shots and be involved in sustained fire fights (firing 1000-2000 rounds).

a shotgun will do niether of these things very well.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,032 Times in 444 Posts

well here in canada the mounties all have a shotgun in the front seat of there car and they practice getting out of there car with it , they sometimes have a rifle in the trunk but there shtf wepon is definatly the shotgun,
Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 15,131 Times in 4,263 Posts

IMO, the shotgun is best employed in CQC or when in defending a narrow area such as an entry or a hallway. The shotgun (for defensive purposes) is also best when in thick cover when rifle accuracy is not practical--IE through bushes/heavy leaves or low light situations.

If I am on my own, I would chose a rifle/pistol combo though due to the limited rounds held by the shotgun and slow reloading times (for most). However, if working as a small team of 4-5 people, I think that arming one team member with a shotgun is a wise tactical move so long as he/she is supported by those with magazine-fed rifles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Trapper

I like shotguns for their versatility. That being said, and other posters very succinctly beat me to it, there is no perfect tool that does it all.

If I could pick one gun, it would be a shotgun.

rifled slug
sabot slug
buckshot
bird shot
aerial flares
flashbangs
flechettes

and a plethora of "less lethal" loads make the scattergun tops in my book.

interchangeable barrels on most models is a boon as well.

I liken the scattergun to a Crescent Wrench in my tool box. Not the perfect tool for every (any) job, but it gets it done.

My only preference is rifle sights and an extended magazine. Honestly, brand doesn't matter, just keep some spare parts for whatever you choose.

ALSO: there is no special equipment needed for reloading, that is a plus in my book too.

In southern Arizona, no one looks askance at buying a case or two of shotgun shells. Asking for .308 in bulk can cause unwanted attn. Hording ammo is cheap and easy.

great thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Trapper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
because when the SHTF, we are all gonna be making 1000 yard kill shots and be involved in sustained fire fights (firing 1000-2000 rounds).

a shotgun will do niether of these things very well.

I hope that's sarcasm on your part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntman View Post
we always get to just one gun. how likely is it u would have that option, I know I prepare to have what i need to deal with shtf,and one gun sanerio's not in it.
TRUE, VERY TRUE,

You must ask yourself, then WHY are we always put with the scenario that we are "bugging out" to somewhere and what you can carry is all you can take ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Medic For This Useful Post: