AR-15: Where do I begin? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to begin gosuMog General Discussion 13 05-12-2019 11:42 PM
Oh where oh where do I begin Isabel New Member Introduction 37 01-30-2017 02:05 PM
Where do i begin? Benjagan91 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 01-20-2017 12:10 AM
Where to begin ZachLeon Urban Survival 12 10-17-2016 02:39 PM
It will begin like this: Medieval Man Manmade and Natural Disasters 14 03-10-2013 10:40 AM
Where to begin!?!?! knomad56 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 02-14-2013 09:57 PM
Were to begin finding0 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 08-25-2011 03:11 PM
Where To Begin? Rising Ladies Section 18 04-07-2011 08:02 AM
New where to begin EricTX Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-19-2010 11:13 AM
Where Do I Begin??? NoSweat88 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 04-07-2010 03:13 AM

Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Default AR-15: Where do I begin?

Advertise Here

I am considering purchasing an AR-15, but as a novice to rifles in general, I do not know were to begin. I know that they can be 'built' starting from the lower receiver and then made to be very customizable, but I just don't know enough about what is available to go that route. What are some suggestions or where are the best places to learn about premade or custom set ups? Thanks!

-DC Josh
www.metro-survival.blogspot.com
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts

Looky HERE and HERE. Both sites provide tons of useful info about the AR platform

cheers!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,814 Posts

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537958
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 9,127 Times in 2,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Josh View Post
I am considering purchasing an AR-15, but as a novice to rifles in general...
Ever try Google and AR15.com?

Do you have any rifles at all?

I'm not in any way an expert on firearms.

I personally know two people that work at Olympic Firearms; they make AR15 variants.

I think at one time, during the Assault Weapons Ban they even made a PC15.

So, due to my personal experiences, I wouldn't count them out. However, having said that, I think you are going to get a LOT, more then a LOT, of Ford VS Chevy comparisons.

So, even though I don't have firearm specific advice, I do have this to say to you:

You enter Dangerous Waters Ahead!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 PM

First go to AR15.com or AR Aromry which are forumn sites with a lot of information. As you reducate yourself think about what you want to do with the AR. I have found that there are a lot I mean alot of ways you can go. Most of the AR's are GTG (good to go) and you do not need to buy a Colt. Next on the AR15 site there is a link to a dictionary of sorts that list all the acrononyms and ect that is used by the AR world. I have just finished building a lower which is not hard to do if you ahve some mechanical skills, but you will need tools and will not save money. I had a dealer build me an upper and got a good deal on it. Take your time prices are coming down and there is always soemone that needs to pay bills or buy diapers willing to sell an AR. You can go to Arms List, which is a site like Craigs List for firearms. I see that you are in the DC area if you search around you may find a local shooting forumn that has a classified section for buying and selling. I have been using one here in Oklahoma and have found some deals. Almost forgot a word of warning AR's wil give you a condition known as BRD or "black rifle disease" you will not be able to stop with just one LOL.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Formerly Known as GOFO

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,706 Posts

www.bravocompanyusa.com

you can't go wrong with them and they are surprisingly affordable.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stant View Post
Doublestar is so-so quality..

DC Josh - for best overall use get a flattop receiver and chrome-lined 1/7 twist barrel with 5.56 chamber. A 5.56 chamber will allow the use of mil-surp ammo
Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Formerly Known as GOFO

Yes, you don't 'need' a Colt - but all your friends will be jealous and you can watch the smiles of the Bushmaster folk at the range turn to frowns when they ask you what type of AR you have,

I kid I kid - but seriously, there is something about taking a Colt out that makes people a little weird for some reason, it is either they hate Colt or jealousy, or both - Ihaven't a clue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sprout47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Thank you for all of the fast and great responces. I know that it can break down into a 'Ford Vs. Chevy' type argument, but I suppose I wanted to also get in idea about the difference between Colt, Rock River and Bushmaster among all of the others I have seen. THe prices all seem to be within a couple hundred dollars of each other, but I just don't know why.

Is it the best idea to stink with a 'named' brand or are companies that are a little less known worth my time and ultimatly, money.

I plan on doing more searching on the AR 15 forum, but I thought I would get a general idea from the awesome members here first!

-DC Josh
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Space Cadet

If you are good with your hands I'd buy a stripped lower that strikes your fancy and start researching the rest of the AR - and of course what you want it for. Don't buy an upper for a month or so, do the research first. Most lowers are of good quality so you can't go wrong if you get a decent aluminum receiver. Pick something you like. Add a good LPK like Stag and a good stock kit and you're halfway there.

I'm doing my second AR build now and real thankful I didn't buy just anything off the shelf for either gun. If you do your homework you can build a better rifle than you can find on the shelf locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Formerly Known as GOFO

It depends on what you want Josh - if you want something that adheres to government specs for military rifles then you will only find that in a few brands.

A good idea about how some companies assemble their rifles and what materials and all they use is in this.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

You will see that there are several brands that cut corners - this explains what features are desired and who uses them in their AR's they produce for you and I.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprout47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Formerly Known as GOFO

Like I said before, I HIGHLY recommend bravo company USA - they make some of the finest AR components and you absolutely will not be disappointed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprout47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Hiker

I'm suprised noone mentioned "the chart" yet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

or did I miss it in the links....yup...posted while I was typing.

Don't take this chart as gospel, but it does list the differences amongst brands in terms of materials, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to mizer67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
If you are good with your hands I'd buy a stripped lower that strikes your fancy and start researching the rest of the AR - and of course what you want it for. Don't buy an upper for a month or so, do the research first. Most lowers are of good quality so you can't go wrong if you get a decent aluminum receiver. Pick something you like. Add a good LPK like Stag and a good stock kit and you're halfway there.

I'm doing my second AR build now and real thankful I didn't buy just anything off the shelf for either gun. If you do your homework you can build a better rifle than you can find on the shelf locally.
I personally think a blind monkey can build up an AR lower, after all, I've built a bunch of them.

Worse case scenario is really just damage to the finish of the lower. It's remotely possible you could do something stupid and crack the lower releasing the hammer or snap off the trigger guard tab, but that's a really remote possibility if you know of these two things to watch out for before beginning.

And I agree you can build one cheaper than buying new, if only in spite of yourself because you don't pay the tax on a complete firearm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mizer67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,908 Times in 869 Posts

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4524
Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Armed Border Collie

Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Josh View Post
I am considering purchasing an AR-15, but as a novice to rifles in general, I do not know were to begin. www.metro-survival.blogspot.com
I don't want to go against the flow here, but since you stated you are a novice as far as rifles goes, I would suggest you start with a complete rifle. Then you can take it to the range and familiarize yourself with the weapon. Learn to clean and repair it. Then, if you want to upgrade, buy a new lower, or trigger assembly or whatever. But the main point is, you have a complete working AR.

After years of shooting Mini-14s, Springfield M1As and AKs, that is what I did. I am on my 5th AR, I own 2 at the moment. I don't own any competition guns or 'tac-ti-cool' stuff. Just good shooting, accurate rifles that go bang when I squeeze the trigger. Both are set up the exact same way even though they are different makes with very nice iron sites and lights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to True Blue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,770 Posts

2nd vote for starting with a complete rifle. Once your used to cleaning it and caring for it, then get a kit.

Check your local laws. I thought AR-15 were illegal in DC. Could be wrong there.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,191 Times in 476 Posts

Buy a standard 20" barrel rifle and take the time to learn how to take it apart and reassemble it in five minutes. Without any pieces left. The Armorer's videos available from Brownell's and others are really good.
In basic training they showed us how to field strip and reassemble, then had us take ours apart. Then they turned out the lights and gave us sixty seconds to get it back together.
Close, but you can do it.

Then hand it to your wife and teach her how to do the same thing. Then you can buy an M4 clone.

A friend (on the guest list at our BOL) retired as an armorer for the NG here after twenty years. He builds varmint rifles that shoot under 1/2moa out to 500M. He also builds the cutest little 11" barreled pistol on the Graizzly Arms "pistol" stamped receiver. You can fit a stock and long barrel to make it a rifle, legally.

ISS
Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 AM

Just the same with damn near anything someone will come up with a list of so many features it needs its own spreadsheet, then a little bit of research points to the fact that a good amount of it is worthless to you or bs or both.

You get what you pay for, go as high as you can go in price without spending your kids college funds away. Nothing wrong with most of the big names though, Bushy, Stag, Colt, RR, etc.. Everyone is gonna have their favorite and try to tell you it's the best...beware.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Cool

It looks like the complete rifle is the way that I am going to go. I just don't know enough about gunsmithing to actually 'build' a gun, and I would like something that I can use, right out of the box. Thanks for everyones input!

-DC Josh