Can you keep a shotgun fully loaded for a long time? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it OK to keep magazines stored fully loaded? Jack1228 Firearms General Discussion 59 03-15-2016 11:42 PM
Magpul Pmag loaded for a long time? IL_Shooter Military Weapons Forum 43 01-14-2015 09:02 PM
Mags Fully Loaded Over 5 Years...Work Fine! TlTANlUM Firearms General Discussion 29 10-27-2013 04:31 PM
New Ruger LCP: can't seat fully loaded mag carve Pistol and Revolver Forum 4 01-21-2013 02:20 AM
If you had a fully loaded RV where would you go to escape society? FU69 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 73 11-18-2012 03:47 PM
How do you keep you shotgun loaded? Antwan23 Shotgun Forum 80 10-26-2011 10:22 PM
Shotgun / House Gun - Always Loaded ? Frank Zapper Firearms General Discussion 68 09-28-2011 12:11 PM
loaded mags stored for long time good idea? NickT916 Military Weapons Forum 29 01-31-2010 10:57 AM
muzzle loaded shotgun luvdahills Shotgun Forum 2 09-24-2008 12:44 AM
Keeping Magazines Fully Loaded 5.7mm Military Weapons Forum 1 08-07-2007 01:54 AM

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,373 Times in 1,613 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Leaving shotgun shells under pressure can also cause the plastic in the shell to compress a little. I've seen them compress to the point they don't feed.
I've noticed that imported shotshells using clear plastic tend to compress more than domestic shotshells when left in the magazine for about the same amount of time.

it's always a good idea to have some spare Wolff or factory springs on hand
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Dregs had the right answer - springs fail due to fatigue - fatigue is caused by repeated use/movement of the spring (use), loaded or unloaded as long as not over stressed has no effect on spring steel. standard load on any weapon magazine or hammer spring is within design parameters for the spring
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyzwei For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Should have stayed in bed

Maybe its just me, but I don't see the point in having a loaded gun just sitting around for months or years at a time... Its like having a race car sitting in the pits at the track with an open invitation to stretch its legs every now and then!!! Gotta take your guns out and warm up the barrels every now and then!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Profitz For This Useful Post:

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,771 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointforty View Post

But now I emptied it since my friend who was in the Army said it could cause stress to the magazine spring and possibly impede its function. I'm more apt to believe this in handgun magazines or auto-loading shotguns, but I run a pump so I don't see how. Anyway I'd like to know too :D

There is the major misconception that military guys know it all. In fact they know very little, most of them have to use what was cheap and therefore they are stuck with it. Most of Army guys are no superheros, wearing a uniform does not mean you are a all knowing combat machine...

Departments and units who are using shotguns, change the spring once a year. It are costs from around ten bucks. They change the spring to be safe because weapons have to be unloaded, also meaning empty tube. Now you can imagine how many cycles a spring will do per year (decompression/compression). This is what causes wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waldlaeufer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Target Shooter

I keep the 12 gauge shotgun I hunt with loaded with 3 buckshot shells in it. I have for 20 years. It is fine. It holds 5.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 AM

Thanks everyone, great info as always.
Stay safe,
Gunny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tJH0aFqhdo&feature=plcp
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Trapper

I'm sure everyone has their personal preferences so, I offer mine.
I keep the magazine filled and the chamber empty year round.
Every four months or so I swap shotguns to relieve the magazine spring for a period and to keep one in battery for possible use. Mostly I swap between one pump and a semi-auto. The others I intersperse as I see fit, OPSEC you know.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Trapper

Ithaca M100 will tolerate this, but others I'm not sure.
5+ years and fired the whole tube with no jams but I don't advise it.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:52 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,201 Times in 1,570 Posts

I was told that dry firing my Stoeger break open 12 ga "Coach" gun can allow the firing pins to over extend out, or possibly even fly out of their little bore,,

anyone know it that is a possibility or if it is not true ?
Old 12-24-2013, 04:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,767 Times in 969 Posts

Another reason (as if we needed one) for cycling/using your ammo deals with your chambered round with pistols, and possibly the first round in a tube magazine.

Aparently, when a pistol sits muzzle down (like in a holster) for a long period of time, the oil from the firing pin can degrade the primer, and cause that chambered round to be a dud.

No idea of sealed primers like the military uses would mitigate that, or if it's an accurate concern, or the details. Gives us all a better reason to spend more time at the range, "ensuring ammo function".
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 9,640 Times in 3,717 Posts

Re: pistol mags
Until the fire two years ago I had five GI issue 1911 mags that had been loaded since I got them in 1978. That is 33 years, and sadly the end of the test. They still had the original springs. Function was 100% every trip to the range.

Let's hope the Beretta mags now in the "deployment kit" do as well.

Back to shotgun springs, Whirlibird covered it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,354 Posts

With a single-shot shotgun I don't see too much of a problem except maybe rust forming in between the brass and steel in the chamber. And I don't like the idea of rust forming in my guns no matter where its at.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,884 Times in 2,878 Posts

On a slight caveat.. we do store our M16's "rack safe" in the armory. Hammer forward weapon on fire because the trigger and hammer springs will weaken over time. I didn't know this and had to replace the trigger/hammer springs on my precision build after only a few months because I was getting multiple soft strikes when I took it out to shoot
Old 12-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Trapper

LEO always keep them loaded, cold trunk secured. Only saw 1 bad spring on my 870 in 14 yrs. Picked one up, 2 minute changed out. Rack and go.
My personal Moss 500 is 25yrs old, same spring. (downloaded from 5 to 4 rds, in closet)
No issue.
Handgun Mags: Keep loaded, also one round down to capacity. No issues with Glocks.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 30,572 Times in 8,851 Posts

Yes, mine has been loaded for 8 years now, but not chambered. I haven't had any problems shooting it at all.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw_soldier View Post
Another reason (as if we needed one) for cycling/using your ammo deals with your chambered round with pistols, and possibly the first round in a tube magazine.

Aparently, when a pistol sits muzzle down (like in a holster) for a long period of time, the oil from the firing pin can degrade the primer, and cause that chambered round to be a dud.

No idea of sealed primers like the military uses would mitigate that, or if it's an accurate concern, or the details. Gives us all a better reason to spend more time at the range, "ensuring ammo function".
That would be indicative of too much oil. And who keeps the same round in chamber that long? If you did want to, a person could put a little clear nail polish around the primer pocket to mitigate contamination concerns. Likewise around the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
On a slight caveat.. we do store our M16's "rack safe" in the armory. Hammer forward weapon on fire because the trigger and hammer springs will weaken over time. I didn't know this and had to replace the trigger/hammer springs on my precision build after only a few months because I was getting multiple soft strikes when I took it out to shoot
That is more a problem with poor springs. I have one .22 that is never decocked, as I could not be bothered with snap caps or putting an empty piece of brass in the chamber to drop the hammer.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,767 Times in 969 Posts

Yup; same advice given to the thread I got that from (guy on ruger forums had had a dud round). Less oil, seal your prmiers, and don't let the round sit in the chamber that long.

In the case of your .22, what model was it? I thought most everyone made them safe to dry fire like Rugers.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:45 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw_soldier View Post
Yup; same advice given to the thread I got that from (guy on ruger forums had had a dud round). Less oil, seal your prmiers, and don't let the round sit in the chamber that long.

In the case of your .22, what model was it? I thought most everyone made them safe to dry fire like Rugers.
Mine is an m93, or a copy of a Colt Woodsman. It also bothers me a little to drop the pin on my sr-22, as I believe the pins do break occasionally. But I am not going to count every round either. I think there is some kind of bolt for a last shot hold open, which would be nice.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,200 Times in 657 Posts

A spring will not weaken if compressed within its design limits. As others said, it is use that wears them out - multiple compressions and decompressions.

Your mag is designed for the spring to take a full load and hold it for many years without weakening.

You need to replace a spring if you know you compressed it too much, or stretched it, or loaded and unloaded the gun many times either manually or by shooting. Some manufacturers recommend replacing springs every 1,000 rounds, and some every 2,000 rounds. I go with 1,000 rounds.

But if it's just sitting fully loaded, time is no issue.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,392 Times in 667 Posts

I've replaced all the mag springs in my pump shotguns with Wolff springs. They've never failed yet. I did experience spring failure in one of the 590's a while back, so as a precautionary measure, I replaced all the mag tube springs.