Can you keep a shotgun fully loaded for a long time? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it OK to keep magazines stored fully loaded? Jack1228 Firearms General Discussion 59 03-15-2016 11:42 PM
Magpul Pmag loaded for a long time? IL_Shooter Military Weapons Forum 43 01-14-2015 09:02 PM
Mags Fully Loaded Over 5 Years...Work Fine! TlTANlUM Firearms General Discussion 29 10-27-2013 04:31 PM
New Ruger LCP: can't seat fully loaded mag carve Pistol and Revolver Forum 4 01-21-2013 02:20 AM
If you had a fully loaded RV where would you go to escape society? FU69 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 73 11-18-2012 03:47 PM
How do you keep you shotgun loaded? Antwan23 Shotgun Forum 80 10-26-2011 10:22 PM
Shotgun / House Gun - Always Loaded ? Frank Zapper Firearms General Discussion 68 09-28-2011 12:11 PM
loaded mags stored for long time good idea? NickT916 Military Weapons Forum 29 01-31-2010 10:57 AM
muzzle loaded shotgun luvdahills Shotgun Forum 2 09-24-2008 12:44 AM
Keeping Magazines Fully Loaded 5.7mm Military Weapons Forum 1 08-07-2007 01:54 AM

Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Prepared

Default Can you keep a shotgun fully loaded for a long time?

Advertise Here

I've read the theory of downloading the magazine a couple of shells to reduce fatigue of the spring - but I wondered if anyone here can speak from real world experience about keeping a pump shotgun's tube magazine fully loaded for a long period of time.

I've never actually tried it... and so far the only posts I'm finding are from people who have never actually done it and are giving their "theories" (the same word could also be spelled b--- s---... but what do I know.)

So the question here... has anyone ever left a shotgun fully loaded for a year or more... and if so did it affect the spring or warp the rounds?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,144 Times in 625 Posts

yes...i did use it some though but loaded it again when I was done...no problems at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny256 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM

I too would like to know. For a couple months I kept 6 loaded in the tube, nothing chambered. If I had to, a quick pump and its ready, or I could drop in a slug from my sidesaddle if I needed a longer shot.

But now I emptied it since my friend who was in the Army said it could cause stress to the magazine spring and possibly impede its function. I'm more apt to believe this in handgun magazines or auto-loading shotguns, but I run a pump so I don't see how. Anyway I'd like to know too :D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointforty For This Useful Post:

Old 12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,149 Posts

Well i was told by a gunsmith you can keep them loaded but to unload them a couple times a month
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howey01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,325 Times in 3,819 Posts

Springs don't get "stressed" unless they are loaded beyond their design tolerances.

A shotgun magazine spring can easily tolerate being fully loaded for years.

There may be other reasons for not leaving the gun loaded, but spring stress isn't one of them.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,258 Posts

Kept the same five buckshot shells (my own loads) in a Mossy 500 for close to 15 years. Long term enough? I remove them once every other month or so to oil the gun.

The last shell *does* come out of the tube a bit weak compared to the rest, but it's in no way hindered from functioning. It's more along the lines of common spring pressure on the last round. The shell tops around the crimps are getting frayed from being loaded and unloaded so many times, I don't think I'd reload these again if fired, but they have in no way deformed the shells. They cycle perfectly fine.

rich
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Prepared

15 years seems long enough to answer the question.

On second thought - anybody left theirs fully loaded for 20 years?

j/k
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,880 Posts

As an LEO armorer and ex-gunsmith, I can say that I replace the mag springs on our department scatterguns every two years.

They're left loaded day in and day out. The only time they're unloaded is for cleaning or when they're being shot.

I started this after 2 of our 4 scatterguns failed to feed the last or next to last round from the magazine. (870's and 500's)

My personal Benelli hunting shotgun, started having issues with 3" shells. It'd feed and operate with 2 3/4" shells but would fail to feed the last round from the mag when being fired with the 3". The mag spring had gone 'soft' and wouldn't fully get the 3" hull onto the lifter before the action would attempt to lift the round and jam the gun up. A new heavy duty spring and it runs like a champ again.

With extended mags, downloading to factory capacity, 4 rounds in the mag is not a bad idea, especially if the gun is to be stored for a long time. With the addition of a sidesaddle, the mag can be topped up as the weapon is brought into use.

The extended mags and HD springs can deform plastic hulls over time, especially when left fully loaded. Better to top up and avoid this.

Swap out your ammo once a year, by firing preferably.
This function tests the gun and makes sure everything still works properly, including the springs. Any hint of weakness in the mag spring, and it's time to replace.

Springs are cheap, hospital bills and funerals aren't.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
As an LEO armorer and ex-gunsmith, I can say that I replace the mag springs on our department scatterguns every two years.

They're left loaded day in and day out. The only time they're unloaded is for cleaning or when they're being shot.

I started this after 2 of our 4 scatterguns failed to feed the last or next to last round from the magazine. (870's and 500's)

My personal Benelli hunting shotgun, started having issues with 3" shells. It'd feed and operate with 2 3/4" shells but would fail to feed the last round from the mag when being fired with the 3". The mag spring had gone 'soft' and wouldn't fully get the 3" hull onto the lifter before the action would attempt to lift the round and jam the gun up. A new heavy duty spring and it runs like a champ again.

With extended mags, downloading to factory capacity, 4 rounds in the mag is not a bad idea, especially if the gun is to be stored for a long time. With the addition of a sidesaddle, the mag can be topped up as the weapon is brought into use.

The extended mags and HD springs can deform plastic hulls over time, especially when left fully loaded. Better to top up and avoid this.

This function tests the gun and makes sure everything still works properly, including the springs. Any hint of weakness in the mag spring, and it's time to replace.

Springs are cheap, hospital bills and funerals aren't.
great post thx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,782 Times in 5,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
^^^There's your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaGeorge View Post
15 years seems long enough to answer the question.

On second thought - anybody left theirs fully loaded for 20 years?

j/k
Not 100% of the time but damn close. I bought a brand spanking new Mossy 500 back in '88 and I just replaced the spring a few months ago. Easy and inexpensive to do. It'd be worth investing in a replacement to have around. I got mine from Brownells for less than $10.00

Good Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,587 Posts

I kept my Dads old Browning pump loaded with 5 shell's for (10) ten years and no problems.
But I down load my 5.56 MM mags because there were probs with M16 mags in the late 60s and early 70s so I load them to (28) twenty eight Rounds. I inspect them (3) three times a year
XR750
Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

It should not give you any problems at all.

But keep it out of children's reach.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,776 Times in 5,040 Posts

similar question but different spring. If you leave a shotgun perpetually "cocked" (pumped without dry firing) does it weaken the striker spring?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 06:04 PM

You should read that article about spring "set" being a myth. The way metal works, the only way it fatigues is from constant use. There are reports of finding fully loaded guns hidden since WW2, and the workers took it out back and fired it all off with no problems. A testament to the longevity of springs in magazines and of ammo.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dregs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM

Good stuff, but what about pistol mag springs? No difference? And what if you don't dry fire the shotgun after keeping it in cruiser safe mode, as Darwath mentioned? Will a primed firing pin weaken over time? I usually keep my handgun loaded, but nothing chambered, and I dry fire it. I've heard both sides saying dry firing can cause damage, then some who've always dry fired and nothing goes wrong. Would be good to get all this cleared up in one thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointforty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Darwath View Post
similar question but different spring. If you leave a shotgun perpetually "cocked" (pumped without dry firing) does it weaken the striker spring?
I have never tested it, but the answer I get from all educated sources is: no, it doesn't weaken the spring. You can keep any modern firearm cocked as long as you like.

(Again in that case you have to be especially careful it doesn't fall in any untrained hands.)

the same thing goes for pistol mag springs, rifle mag springs, trigger reset springs, and although I've never had any confirmation, I expect the same thing plays for recoil springs too.

Any modern made (made between now and 20 years ago or so) should not have any spring problems with any spring.

Dry firing doesn't hurt on 99% of the firearms, but on some guns it can hurt. Apparantly this is the case with the springfield XD(m) series (and I think there are more). Watch what this gunsmith says at 2:20 of the video below.

So on some types dryfiring can hurt, but in my opinion it shouldn't. I've dryfired my glock a million times and it's still rocking. And a lot more pistols are like that. That's how it should be.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 43,826 Times in 25,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Leaving shotgun shells under pressure can also cause the plastic in the shell to compress a little. I've seen them compress to the point they don't feed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBooker44 View Post
Leaving shotgun shells under pressure can also cause the plastic in the shell to compress a little. I've seen them compress to the point they don't feed.
I actually plain to measure this and post an update in 3 months. I'm going to use precision tools to identify EXACTLY what or if any warping exists... and then I am going to ask the manufacturer for the EXACT tolerance for ammo loading.

I will measure every shell from the first to the last.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SofaGeorge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Hiker

We keep our 870's in our patrol cars with the tube fully loaded, and an empty chamber. I'm coming up on my 10 year anniversary with the sheriff's office. I've never seen one of our shotguns have a mag spring fail. They are however unloaded and oiled down at least every few months, then reloaded.

The only ill effect I've seen is to the shot shells themselves. In this southern heat, in a car, I've seen the plastic hulls get hot enough that the spring pressure squishes them, and then they are hard to chamber, or won't chamber at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trekker111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Hippie Rich

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaGeorge View Post
I actually plain to measure this and post an update in 3 months. I'm going to use precision tools to identify EXACTLY what or if any warping exists... and then I am going to ask the manufacturer for the EXACT tolerance for ammo loading.

I will measure every shell from the first to the last.
Want me to do the same? one of my shotguns lives in my garage, which at the moment is about 20 degrees.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt18920 For This Useful Post: